Chapter 05

The Runaways
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What do you think?” Hayan patted the roof of the black Jeep Wrangler.

 

“Well, it’s no Mercedes C-Class,” Baekhyun griped pettily.

 

“Are you kidding? This is amazing! It’s so much roomier on the inside,” Kai cheered.

 

“Are you sure this is okay?” Krystal fretted.

 

“Chill Krystal,” Kai called, already in the passenger seat. “We already paid for it so let’s go!”

 

Hayan dangled the key before Baekhyun with a coy grin.

 

Baekhyun looked at her for a moment before grabbing the key and heading to the driver’s seat.

 

 

Baekhyun held the blue and yellow striped shirt against himself and looked into the mirror.

 

It looked alright.

 

His eyes dartted up to his face and he grimaced. The gash on his nose was much more prominent now. He had lost the bandaid some time the previous night so the cut was raw and bloody. He lightly touched the gash and winced.

 

“How sick is this?” Kai appeared behind him, holding up an oversized coat with cow prints all over it.

 

Baekhyun grimaced. “What the ?”

 

“I’m getting it,” Kai informed him, petulantly.

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes but didn’t argue with the weird blonde boy and his even weirder fashion choices.

 

He grabbed a leather jacket and a pair of jeans before heading to the check out counter.

 

He found the girls standing off to the side with bags of their own shopping.

 

Kai joined them soon after having bought a black bucket hat and much to all three of their horror, the cow print coat.

 

They took a few minutes to change into their new clothing in the mall’s washroom.

 

Hayan and Krystal soon joined them in casual clothes.

 

People had given them odd looks the entire time they had been in the mall since Hayan had been dressed fancily with dramatic make up, like she should’ve been on the cover of a fashion magazine.

 

“Let’s go?” she asked, now grabbing less attention since she was barefaced and in jeans.

 

“Wait,” Kai interjected. He eyed the food court longingly. “Can’t we get some food?”

 

With a scowl, Baekhyun realized the last time he had had a proper meal was over 24 hours ago. The four had been sustaining themselves on the gas station chips and candy all day.

 

Baekhyun looked at Hayan because it is her money they’d been using all this while.

 

Hayan looked amused by Kai’s expression but she nodded and the four headed to the food court.

 

Baekhyun watched as Kai and Krystal argued about which fast food burger was the best. Hayan tapped her lip thoughtfully as she eyed the menu.

 

And for the first time in the past 24 hours, Baekhyun felt himself relax.

 

He didn’t worry about the stolen car or the girls who may have reported him.

 

He ignored the nagging voice in his head that kept questioning why Krystal had blood all over her when they found her.

 

He tuned out Kai and his weirdness.

 

He even stopped wondering who Hayan Wu was and why she had access to as much money as she did.

 

Instead, he let his mind go blank. He only thought of the juicy burger that he would order.

 

‘Maybe I’ll even get a large coke,’ he mused.

 

But danger strikes when you let your guard down. And Baekhyun learnt this the hard way.

 

 

 

“This is so good,” Krystal said, biting into her burger with zeal.

 

Baekhyun couldn’t help but agree with her as he devoured his own burger.

 

The food court wasn’t very crowded. The four huddled together at a corner table, stuffing their faces with junk food.

 

Baekhyun was amused to see that even Hayan, who had come off as someone elegant and graceful, was munching on her burger with childlike vigor.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter