Chapter 06

The Runaways
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Thank you to everyone who commented and subscribed! Also, just a heads up: long chapter ahead XD

 

 

Hayan took in Baekhyun’s frustrated expression, Krystal’s worried eyes and Kai’s curious frown and realized she couldn't hide it anymore.

 

“Fine,” she sighed heavily. “I’ll explain everything. But not here. We need to find somewhere to lay low.”

 

Baekhyun wanted to say no.

 

He wanted to scream at Hayan and demand to know what was going on.

 

But he bit his tongue and instead took a U-turn.

 

“I know a place,” he muttered to the others.

 

 

 

The place Baekhyun brought them to was a cozy looking apartment building.

 

Baekhyun noticed the expressions of awe on Hayan and Kai’s faces and concluded this was not what they were expecting.

 

“I totally thought you’d take us to an abandoned warehouse or something,” Kai confessed, sheepishly.

 

“Is this your house?” Krystal asked, curiously as they exited the elevator on the 4th floor.

 

“No, it’s a friend’s,” Baekhyun admitted.

 

“Won’t they mind us barging in unannounced?” Hayan asked.

 

Baekhyun gave her a small smirk. “Only one way to find out,” he said before rapping on the door twice.

 

The door opened almost immediately after.

 

“Did you forget your key aga—”

 

The man on the other side of the door stopped abruptly when he noticed the four.

 

Baekhyun smiled awkwardly, “Hey, Suho.”

 

 

 

“Here, we only have orange juice,” Suho said as he placed a tray on the table.

 

Kai gave the glasses a cursory glance and then went back to observing the little knick-knacks on the display shelves.

 

Hayan gratefully took a sip of her orange juice.

 

“Where’s Chanyeol?” Baekhyun asked Suho.

 

“He went out to get some groceries. He should be back soon,” Suho shrugged.

 

There was a lull in conversation and Suho cleared his throat, glaring at Baekhyun pointedly.

 

“Oh, right,” Baekhyun straightened up. “Suho, this is Hayan, Krystal and Kai. Guys, this is Suho. He’s a friend of mine from high school.”

 

Suho smiled at them and Krystal smiled back, hesitantly.

 

“Hey, Suho, can I borrow this?” Kai pointed at a small green bouncy ball.

 

Suho gave Baekhyun a confused glance.

 

“Yeah, he’s a little weird,” Baekhyun sighed.

 

“Um, sure,” Suho relented. “You can keep it.”

 

“Thanks,” Kai grinned, pocketing the ball.

 

“So what’s going on?” Suho asked, looking at Baekhyun. “To what do I owe this surprise visit?”

 

Baekhyun glanced at Hayan who refused to look up from her glass.

 

“Um, we were just,” Baekhyun hesitated. “We were just in the neighborhood and I decided to drop by.”

 

Suho narrowed his eyes. He was clearly not buying it. The shorter boy had given Baekhyun several concerned glances throughout the night. Baekhyun suspected it was because he still had a gash across his nose.

 

“Baekhyun, what did you do? Did you hit on some loan shark’s girlfriend again? Did you rob someone? Are the police looking for you?” Suho fretted.

 

“No,” Baekhyun said but when he didn’t calm down, he spoke more firmly. “No. That’s not it.”

 

‘Well, I mean, that’s not completely it…’ he mentally amended.

 

For all Baekhyun knew, the police were probably looking for him. Or a tall male with pale skin and red hair. And he had in fact, stolen something. But Suho didn’t need to know all the details.

 

Before Suho could interrogate Baekhyun some more, the door unlocked and a tall black haired guy walked in, arms laden with grocery bags.

 

“Oh,” he froze in the doorway. “I didn’t know we had company.”

 

Suho helped him with the bags as the man grinned at Baekhyun.

 

“Baekhyun! Long time no see, bro,” he bumped fists with the redhead, a goofy smile spreading across his lips.

 

“How’ve you been Chanyeol?”

 

“Not bad, not bad. Who’re they?” Chanyeol gestured to the three new faces.

 

Baekhyun did another quick round of introductions while Suho put the groceries away.

 

“You guys staying for dinner?” Chanyeol asked.

 

Baekhyun rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. “Actually, can we spend the night?”

 

Suho blinked in surprise. “Um, y-yeah, sure. We have some mattresses that we can set up in the living room.”

 

“Great, thanks Suho,” Baekhyun grinned gratefully.

 

 

 

“Thanks for dinner,” Krystal smiled at Chanyeol and Suho. “And for letting us stay the night.”

 

Suho and Chanyeol shrugged it off good-naturedly.

 

“Good night you guys,” Suho waved before the two disappeared into their bedrooms.

 

The four in the living room l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter