Chapter 23

The Runaways
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun had a really hard time focusing.

 

It almost felt like the facts were staring right at him. But he just couldn’t wrap his head around it.

 

Kai’s sister, Kim Yeri was killed during a robbery.

 

Hayan Wu had a file with details of murders carried out by the Blue Dragons.

 

Kim Yeri’s name was on it.

 

So, the Blue Dragons had killed Yeri.

 

‘But why? What does a high school senior have to do with the most notorious mafia gang?’

 

Feeling a headache brewing, Baekhyun stumbled out to the kitchen and set about making some tea.

 

‘Could Yeri have been a Blue Dragons member too? Does that mean Kai could be mafia as well?’ Baekhyun’s thoughts raced to possible scenarios. ‘No, that doesn’t make sense. He doesn’t have a dragon tattoo, and if he was a Blue Dragon, Kris would’ve caught us by now. Besides, why would the Blue Dragons kill one of their own?’

 

The front door opened and Krystal’s voice called out, “We’re back.”

 

Baekhyun poured the hot water into his mug, watching the steam rise.

 

Kai entered the kitchen but Baekhyun didn’t acknowledge his presence.

 

“What’s wrong with you?” Kai asked.

 

Baekhyun blinked at his tea. The color was starting to turn a rich amber.

 

‘Should I tell him?’ Baekhyun wondered.

 

“… I think he blames himself for Yeri’s death. He changed after that day,” Sehun had said.

 

“…running away from the Blue Dragons, getting fries and burgers at a fast food joint, all these stupid mundane things. Doing them with you guys, made the emptiness seem bearable…” Kai had pretty much confessed to enjoying their company, to finding it therapeutic even.

 

If Baekhyun shared his suspicions with the blonde, Kai would hate Hayan.

 

‘Do I even know what actually happened? Maybe I’m just jumping to conclusions.’

 

Baekhyun thought back to Hayan’s reaction after Sehun had told them about Yeri. Sure, she had stiffened up and gone silent. She had looked pretty horrified too. But so had Krystal and Baekhyun, himself. Wasn’t it a natural human reaction to feel terrible at the news of someone’s death?

 

Baekhyun now wondered how much of that horror was simply at the news of the death of Kai’s sister, and how much was in guilt. Did Hayan recognize the girl? Did she remember playing a hand in her death?

 

Baekhyun finally looked at Kai. There must have been something in his eyes, because Kai’s half-hearted smirk suddenly disappeared.

 

He looked at Baekhyun seriously now. “What happened? Is it the Blue Dragons? Did they find us?”

 

Baekhyun swallowed.

 

“It’s —” he hesitated.

 

“I’m glad he has more friends now.” Baekhyun remembered Sehun’s relieved smile.

 

‘I can’t destroy him this way. He’s finally made some progress and recovery. I can’t just—’

 

“It’s nothing,” Baekhyun said instead. “I’m just feeling a little home sick.”

 

Kai didn’t look convinced but Krystal popped into the kitchen then, a bright smile on her lips.

 

“Hey Baekhyun, did you eat lunch yet? Kai and I brought back some dumplings. Do you want some?”

 

“No thanks, Krystal,” Baekhyun managed a smile.

 

Kai gave Baekhyun a long contemplative look before relenting and following after the brunette.

 

Baekhyun stood in the silence, feeling confused and conflicted.

 

 

 

Baekhyun decided to confront Hayan about what he had found in the study.

 

He was determined to corner her and force the answers out of her if she didn’t comply.

 

But the minute he bumped into her on the stairs, his resolve crumbled.

 

Hayan looked surprised to see him. She was on her way up the stairs when Baekhyun had suddenly appeared.

 

Baekhyun swallowed when her deep brown eyes locked with his own. A wide smile spread on her lips and Baekhyun felt his heart clench.

 

‘How can she be a killer?’ he wondered, watching Hayan’s pale cheeks flush a light pink.

 

Baekhyun suddenly didn’t want to talk to her about the study, about the photos an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter