Chapter 20

The Runaways
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After a quick meal at the gas station restaurant as well as cleaning themselves up a bit in the restrooms, the four climbed aboard the bus again.

 

They were ten minutes away from the hour mark and Baekhyun noticed the other passengers of the bus slowly filtering out of the restaurant to board the bus again.

 

The four returned to their seats, the seating arrangement the same as earlier.

 

Baekhyun pulled his phone out from his pocket and frowned slightly when he noticed he only had 30% battery. He hoped it would last until they could make it to the safe house and he could charge it again.

 

Curious, Baekhyun opened up his call log and looked at the first entry.

 

It displayed an incoming call from that morning, the number was hidden and simply read unknown.

 

Baekhyun frowned, scrolling up in confusion.

 

‘She called Tao after he had called me so why isn’t that on the log?’

 

“Don’t bother,” Hayan quipped from beside him, nearly causing Baekhyun to jump.

 

“I deleted the call history immediately after I hung up,” she informed him loftily.

 

“Why? What’s to hide?” Baekhyun baited her.

 

Hayan gave him a cold smile. “Best to keep any link to Tao hidden. It would be terrible if that phone fell into the wrong hands.”

 

Baekhyun stopped himself from frowning. It was clear that Hayan would not be trusting him with Tao’s contact any time soon.

 

Soon the bus started down the path again. The last three hours of the ride passed by uneventfully.

 

When they finally reached their destination, the sky was an inky blue black and a full moon shone down on them.

 

The four entered the nearly empty bus station and waited for all other passengers to leave.

 

Baekhyun supposed this was to ensure none of them were secret Blue Dragons members who would follow them to the safe house. Though he had an incredibly hard time imagining the tiny grandma with the knitting needles and yarn being a member of the mafia.

 

Once the coast was clear, Hayan hailed a cab and recited an address to the driver. The drive to the safe house was silent. Baekhyun couldn’t tell what the other three were up to as he was stuck in the passenger seat up front. But he presumed they were all just too tired after the long journey to make any conversation.

 

After a twenty minute drive, the four clambered out of the cab.

 

The sight that greeted them was quite unexpected.

 

The safe house was an inconspicuous, cozy looking two story villa. It was surrounded by greenery and the next house was nearly a five minute walk away.

 

Hayan opened the gate and walked past the white picket fence. The others followed after her.

 

Baekhyun observed the padlock on the door and looked down at the floor mat, wondering whether a spare key would be under it.

 

There was no way Hayan had the key to the safe house on her, given the unplanned nature of her escape. Baekhyun wondered how she planned to open the door.

 

His question was answered when instead of finding a key to unlock the padlock, Hayan pushed an indiscernible button on the bottom of it. A piece of the metal slid back and a finger print scanner rose to the surface.

 

Kai and Krystal gawked at the technology while Baekhyun furrowed his brows.

 

Hayan pressed her thumb against the scanner and after a short beep, the padlock opened. She then slid back the cover to the keypad on the door and entered a code.

 

The door finally opened and Hayan walked in with ease. The other three followed after her, kicking off their shoes by the shoe cabinet.

 

Hayan switched on the lights to a passageway leading into the living ro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter