Chapter 01

The Runaways
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun eyed his cards, already knowing he’d win. He darted his gaze up to his opponents — three big, burly men who couldn’t maintain poker faces if their lives depended on it.

 

He looked at the pile of cash on the table, there had to be at least a hundred thousand won.

 

The air was thick with cigarette smoke that made the room feel smaller than it really was. A radio played 90’s music in the background.

 

One of the scantily clad girls who had draped herself around one of the burly men looked at Baekhyun with smoldering eyes.

 

Baekhyun smirked.

 

“Your turn pretty boy,” one of the men spoke up gruffly.

 

Baekhyun placed his cards face up on the table. “Straight flush,” he said, smug.

 

The three men gawped at his cards while Baekhyun started collecting the cash.

 

“Now wait just a minute,” one of the men angrily grabbed the collar of Baekhyun’s shirt.

 

“You cheated!” The other man accused, standing to his full height and towering over Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun scoffed. “I won this fair and square,” he retorted. “It’s not my fault you can’t play poker.”

 

“What did you say?” The man growled.

 

There was a flurry of movement and the next thing Baekhyun knew, one of the men has slammed him into the table.

 

There was a loud crash as the table collapsed under Baekhyun’s weight.

 

The girls screamed, scrambling away from what was sure to be a bloody fight.

 

Baekhyun coughed.

 

“That’s gonna bruise,” he muttered to himself as he staggered up.

 

The men still looked like they were out for blood.

 

“Hey,” Baekhyun called with a smirk. “Next time, I’ll let you play my dog. Maybe you’ll win then.”

 

The men growled but before they could step forward, Baekhyun was already running to the exit.

 

He paused to turn around and shoot a cheeky wink at the girl who had looked at him with interest before.

 

“Why you—”

 

The door slammed shut behind Baekhyun as he made a run for it.

 

 

 

Baekhyun was a lot faster than the bulky guys chasing him.

 

But there were also three of them and just one of him.

 

The sun was blazing hot and Baekhyun could feel his stamina decreasing as he continued to run aimlessly through alleyways.

 

The padding of feet and angry shouts alerted him that he was not in the clear just yet.

 

He turned swiftly into the alley between two blue buildings. He ducked right at an intersection, pushing a trash can onto the path behind him to slow his chasers down.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter