Elf

Heimwee ( /ˈɦɛi̯mʋeː/ )

“Why are you so bothered about this news?”

Mrs. Kim can not believe her husband reaction over a dating confirmation from their daughter. Yeri is 27 years old.


“Tell Yeri to come here. If she refused, tell her that i’ll be the one who came for her.”

She know her husband is not angry. He’s more like scared and concerned which is even weirder because Jungkook looks like a good person from what she read on internet. Not poor, suitable for their family, respected, independent, his favorite kind of person.

“Just let her be. Please.. we don’t want what happened to Seokjin is happening to her...”

And she ended up begging to her husband. The last time they intervene with their children’s love story, tragedy happened. There’s no need to repeat history again.

“Just keep your eyes on her. I want to know everything about Yeri and that man. And do some recheck if this Jungkook is Jeon Sooyoung’s brother.”

“I understand, Sir.”

But Mr. Kim is stubborn. Even if a hundred people begging for him, he know something is incredibly wrong on this matter.



“I’ll be dead. I really need to find another job.”

It’s still early morning but Minchae is already having a hard time. Lea knows she’s been crying all night.

“Tell me the full story.”

“You know, last night before Mr. Jeon went to that party, he asked me to makes a copy of this new sketch for the China project..there’s a few pages, all rough sketch made by him with pencil and stuffs, all manual..he supposed to sent it by tomorrow so he told me to made a copies and scanning it as soft file..”

“Then?”

Minchae is telling her story while crying so now everyone is gather around her desk and sympathized with her while secretly relieved that this thing is not happened to them.

“I ruined it. The sketch all of it. I put it into the paper shredder accidentally. And now everything is gone, no copy, no soft copy. Gone.”

“Wow Minchae.. that’s probably the worst mistake someone ever did in this company since i worked here 5 years ago.”

Jaekyung is not helping and now Minchae looks even more stressed.

“You should tell him. He still have time till tomorrow to finish it.” Lea thinks it’s better to tell him the truth because, there’s no other way out.

“But then i’ll get fired. What if he sued me? Remember Mr. Ahn from two years ago? He lost some file and he really need to go to the court. Jeon Jungkook is evil.”

Well..Lea is not here two years ago but she heard the story.

“I’ll help you talk to him.” But still it’s better to tell him the truth.

“Good Morning, everyone!”

Minchae is running back to her desk so does everyone else when Jungkook is finally here. He’s smiling really wide, before entering his own office. His mood is great.

“You’re lucky, he looks fine today. Let’s go Minchae, i’ll wait for you inside.”

Lea is running to the pantry for Jungkook’s morning coffee.

“Come in”

Lea feels nervous for Minchae, she put a cup of coffee in front of Jungkook and start listing his schedule for today. He listen to it seriously while sometimes writing a note and nodding his head.

“..And Minchae has something to say to you, sir..”

“Really? Send her in.”

Lea is rushing to call Minchae over and she can see how pale she is when she finally here. She’s so ready to cry when Jungkook asked her what happened.

Minchae manage to tell him everything, with shaking voice of course. Lea can’t barely heard it because she feels bad to her..and when she’s finally done. Both of them are holding their breath.

“I still have one day, right? I could just re-draw everything and Minchae, you could help me with the details. It’ll be lots of hard work but i’m sure we can make it by tomorrow.”

What? This is really really shocking. No one is fired, he’s not lashing out and he’s also not angry. This is just weird.

“You made a mistake, but if it was an accident, then there’s nothing you can do.”

“Are you serious, sir?”

Minchae asking him with slight tears on her cheeks. Lea can see that she is really happy and relieved with how things turns out. And more than anything Lea is very proud of Jungkook. He changed for the better.

“Thank you, sir.”

Lea is also bowing his head to Jungkook just like Minchae when she’s out from the room.

“Wait, Lea.” but she stopped when Jungkook is calling her over.

“Help me search and bought this exact dress.”

He showed her a pictures from his phone. It’s a beautiful red dress, there’s some damage here and there but it is still showed how pretty it was on its good condition.

“I’ll send you the picture later.”

“I understand, sir. And the size..?”

Jungkook looks confused when she asked but giving her a smile after some thinking

“You can try it out first. If it fits you then bought it. Your size. Kim Yeri’s size. “

And the name of Kim Yeri is enough to makes her realize what is going on right now.

“Kim Yeri-ssi?”

“I’ll give it to her.”

***

“So for your information, you’re officially not single anymore. Things will be different now.”

Yeri is here inside Irene’s office and listening to what happened yesterday.

“I don’t think many people react to my relationship.”

“Yeah, they’re not..but still.. your boyfriend is the talk of the town in a business section news..so there will be some reaction nonetheless.”

“I already expected that one”

Yeri is leaning her head and looking at her phone. There’s nothing coming from Jungkook all day. Maybe what he said about don’t bothers him at work hour still apply till today.

“So, are you happy now?”

“With what?”

“Your relationship of course. This is your first time right?”

“I was in a dozens of relationship already”

“Oh come on..not.in movies or drama but in real life.” Yeri doesn’t remember. Maybe it is.

“Unnie. I’m not doing this seriously.”

“That’s ok. We’re not supposed be serious for the first time.”

Yeri is out from her agency building after talking with Jay and Bona for awhile. She choose to spend her time alone. It feels like she needs to settle lots of things on her own.

 

--------

“It’ll be fine, Oppa! Dad already promised you that she won’t do anything to that Sooyoung girl if you focus on your study.”

The only thing 13 years old Kim Yeri want is a complete and good family. She’s already tired watching her brother and her parents arguing every night  because they don’t want him to have a relationship with some kind random and poor girl. It’s like a stupid cinderella story.

“She is older than you. Please address her with respect.”

“Sooyoung Unnie.”

And more than anything Yeri is just jealous. Seokjin no longer with her on weekend because he’s busy travelling around to visit his girlfriend. No more playing game together or helping her with homework. So she thought telling him one lie regarding Sooyoung is fine.

In fact a week ago, Yeri overheard her dad’s phone call with someone named Sooyoung, which is clearly Seokjin’s girlfriend.

He told her to study hard for college and also told her to enrolled in the same university as Seokjin.
The most expensive and elite school in a whole country, even a rich person is having a hard time to go there. Then how could some random teenager orphan girl do it in the span of few months.

Her dad is only torturing her with giving her a mission impossible. But then Seokjin doesn’t know anything about that.

“Everything is going to be fine, right?”

“Of course it is.”

And she told him another lie.

-------
***

“Tell Minchae to finish this one.”

Lea is working overtime again. She spent almost half of her day to find a dress Jungkook want and another half to help Minchae dealing with the mess she created. They’re lucky Jungkook is professional, talented and skillful so this tons of work could be done before midnight.

“That’s the last one.”

“Alright, Sir.”

Minchae looks really worn out to after working on this for hours. But she looks relieved when she finished it off.

“You should make the copies, Lea. I’m still traumatized.”

She’s  laughing hearing what she said so she begin making copies and scanning it before she send and give everything to Jungkook.

“Good job today. Both of you can go home.”

Lea and Minchae think they probably should begin to worshipping Jungkook for how great he is at his work.

“Thank you, Lea. You really are the best.”

Minchae linking her arms on her shoulder while they’re walking downstairs. When they bump into Yeri on the parking lot. They already read the news about her and Jungkook this morning, it’s not a surprise because they already know for months, but still it’s quite odd to keep meeting her.

“Oh? Going home?”

“Yes.” Lea and Minchae nod their head to her and left right away.

“Even i’m still hated and disliked by young kids.” Yeri is mumbling by herself when she receive unfriendly reaction both from Lea and Minchae. Well…she kinda deserved it after all what happened.

“Good Job today too.”

She lift her face and looking for the familiar voice right away. It was Jungkook who said goodbye to few of securities. He looks surprised seeing her here.

“What are you doing here?”

“I don’t know, i drove here not in purpose and i saw your lights still on. So i waited.”

She talks while pointing her fingers to one window on third floor. Jungkook’s office.

“Why?”

“Do i still need a reason to seeing you ?”

Yeri following Jungkook from behind and gets into his car, taking a sit next to him. There’s no reason, she just want to see him.

“How about dinner?”

Jungkook shake his head while started his car and out from the building.

“Take your car tomorrow.” He knows Yeri bring her car but he want to talk with her longer, so dropping her home is his choice.

“Let’s find something to eat.”

“What do you want?”

“I don’t know.”

“Do you have something at your place? I’m kinda tired of driving.”

Yeri is chuckling hearing what he said. Cute.

“But you’re not staying. I have schedule at early morning tomorrow.”

“We’ll see.”

“I’m serious.”

“Me too.”

***
 

“I don’t really have anything here.”

Yeri opening her fridge for Jungkook to see when they arrived at her place. Bona usually fill in her fridge so she doesn’t really know what she has on that.

“You have lots of food.”

Jungkook taking out some container full with home made food and side dish. It wasn’t Bona who put in there.

“Who made this ?”

Yeri is not saying anything when he ask her the question while start taking a bite from the food.

“I’ll take a shower, you can eat everything. Free.”

Jungkook knows right away who made this, just judging from how Yeri is avoiding the conversation.

“It’s ok if you don’t want to see me, i’ll just bring you food and left.”

It was two years ago when her mother is talking to her regarding this matter. Yeri really want to say no, but she didn’t.

And that’s how Jungkook able to eat a good food from her fridge. It was her mom food. She made it.

***

“Why don’t you stay at your office if your work still not finished?”

Yeri is out from her room after changing her clothes when she find Jungkook is still busy with his tablet. He’s wearing his glasses and looks extremely serious about it.

“It’s for tomorrow.”

She take a sit next to him and glancing at it. It’s a bunch of sketch and he’s doing some light edit for it.

“Dinner?”

“I ate a lot. Your mom is a good cook.”

Yeri is not responding to anything when Jungkook said it. She’s just sitting there. Seeing Yeri like this, he remember the last night encounter between her and her parents. It was intense and it’s obvious their relationship is not good.

“I know serious talk is not part of our plan..”

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“I get it.”

Yeri is surprise with his reaction, he’s not talking with hatred or anything. He’s so calm facing her and her annoying behaviour.

“Did you read the news today?”

“I did.”

“Are you ok with that?”

“I don’t really care.”

“Why?”

“Everything will ruined if you begin to care with what others said. I’m doing it with you and not others…”

Yeri is let out a small laugh while listening to his words.

“It’s matter for me. I care about what others said. Respect that.”

“You’re really shouldn’t. I know one girl who cares too much about what others said about her relationship and she died.”

Yeri feels a little bit scared when Jungkook said that words so easily. Like it’s not a big deal. This is the first time she felt that kind of persona from him in real life just like what she received on her nightmare.

“You know i’m sensitive with the word death if you’re the one who’s saying it.”

“Sorry.”

And looks like Jungkook is also aware about her problems with it and said sorry to her. He looks guilty.

“I’m scared of you if you’re talking like that.”

“I don’t blame you. You have every right to be scared.”

He suddenly talk serious and now the mood is back to gloomy. The nightmare talk is definitely bothering him.

Yeri hold his arms and put herself around it. She makes him giving her a hug with a little force. She placed his hand on her back.

“Do it!” She talks while hugging him tight and Jungkook is confused.

“What?”

“That one. Tell me it was not real, the nightmare.”

She can heard a little laugh coming from him as he caressing her back and her hair. It felt really good.

“I’m staying.” He talks really close to her ears and honestly how can she said no to it.

“ok.”


“Kim Yeri! Come out!”

Jungkook is holding one long axe and chain on both of his hand. He’s calling Yeri’s name while checking on every place she ever hide before. Behind the tree, under the bench, everywhere.

“There you are.” He catch a glimpse of her hair in front of him and now he found her.

The miserable Kim Yeri still with her white nightgown and dirts all over her

“Stop, please help me, let me go!!”

She’s screaming and running really hard to run away from when she trip by her own legs.

“Stay away!! Please let me live !!”

***

Jungkook open his eyes and trying so hard to control his breathing pace. He gets up from his sleep and found Yeri is next to him, covering her face and crying. She has lots of tears.

“Hey..” He’s trying to hold her hands but she pulls it away from him.

“Kim Yeri, look at me.”

He won’t give up like this. He’s turning on the light and now makes Yeri’s face turn to him. He’s cupping her face and stopped her from covering her face.

She’s so pitiful.

“I’m sorry.”

At first he want to tell her that the nightmare is not real but seeing her like this, the only thing he could say to her is an apology, there’s nothing else.

“You talked to me..”

He did. It’s the first time he’s calling her name on their nightmare. Why? He has no idea.

“You talked..”

Jungkook take Yeri to his embrace and pat her back for few times. He has tears on his eyes too. This is a mess.

“Why won’t it stopped? I’m tired.”

Yeri is talking to him with her shaking voice as she’s slowly calming herself down.



“You told me you have schedule at early morning..”

Yeri is woken up by a familiar voice and a touch on her face. Last night was though so of course waking up early is a hard thing to do for now.

“What time is it?”

She open her eyes and do some stretching while looking at Jungkook’s face in front of her. He already looks good and fresh.

“8AM.”

What? She’s late. Yeri gets down from her bed and bump her head to Jungkook’s and now both of them is hurting.

“What is wrong with you?” He totally sounds angry and annoyed

“I’m late. Bona will be here shortly.”

“She’s here already.” Jungkook is back at laying on her bed and caressing his forehead with a blanket. It must be hurt.

“Really?”

“She was here. I already sent her back and told her i’ll drop you off.”

“Excuse me, you did what?”

“ Your head could be use as a weapon. No wonder you’re so stubborn” Jungkook is still annoyed and even insult her in the morning like this.

Yeri is able to stand on her feet now. She feels a little bit dizzy after the head bump with Jungkook earlier. She pushed him when he blocked her way.

“I need to talk to you, i can’t just let you go after what happened last night.”

There’s a red mark on Jungkook’s forehead and she feels bad because of that.

“But why would you sent her back home? I need my manager. Do you even know where my filming taking place?”

Yeri is rushing herself to the bathroom, doing some quick shower, changing her clothes and now busy with her makeup. Jungkook is doing nothing but watching her while sometimes, using his phone and talk to someone through it. Talking about the ad for some pharmacy company.

“I’ll leave in 10 minutes.” He’s out from her room, while taking his bag and wearing his ties. Controlling, just like how she hates it.

In 5 minutes, Yeri is finally done with her preparation, she told Jungkook to bring her bag as she’s holding a script for her short movie. She needs to practice.

***

Jungkook is not saying anything to Yeri when he knows she’s trying hard to do something right now. She’s so serious with her script. And it’s honestly a new sight of her from him.

“Just drop me off, over there.”

He’s back to staring at the road when Yeri pointing her hand to an empty corner, it is still far away from her filming location.

“I’ll just drop you right at the place.”

“People will talk, it’s ok. I could walk or call Bona to get me. I’m fine.”

“Then i’ll walk with you.”

Jungkook is already stopped his car, but Yeri is in the middle of having a mental breakdown. Like what exactly is his problem. She doesn’t like to get controlled or protected in an extra way. It’s annoying.

“You seriously act like my father.” She’s out from the car while glaring at him and threaten him to not following her or everything is over for them.

 

--------

“I’ll walk with you.”

“No, I’m fine, Jungkook-ah..” Sooyoung is definitely not fine, she’s sick, but she has no choice. She still needs to work.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah. Do you want that painting equipment or not?”

“No, it’s ok.”

Jungkook doesn’t want it anymore, if that means he needs to let Sooyoung working non stop to get that for him.

“Don’t be like that, I feel bad because I used your money for my tuition. I need to pay you back.”

Well..he was mad, of course. It was his saving for months, he really want the equipment, so he works hard, it’s quite expensive. So it feels really good when he finally has enough money to buy it just for him to find out that Sooyoung is using his money for her tuition, she’s really enrolling to that elite university. They had a fight because of that.

“I’m glad you made it.”

His sister is beyond awesome, for the past few months. She’s working so hard on her study and her job to actually get accepted on that school. He doesn’t really understand her reason for doing this except that she doesn’t want to get embarrassed for having a rich boyfriend and because her boyfriend’s dad is asking her to do to things.
It was cliché for him, if he’s on her position, he won’t do something like that.. but judging from how she’s happy and appreciate her boyfriend. He actually think this is probably the best for her. She already lost her smile since their parents died and now she’s happy again.

Thanks to Kim Seokjin.

“So can I go now?”

“I’ll take you to hospital when you get home. It’s been 3 days since you had your fever. We can pay with money i get from the book store. It's my payday”

“Alright, I will. Don’t worry though, I’m fine.”

She did say it with a smile to him. So he trusted her, he never thought that Sooyoung is lying to him about being fine, because the thing is they never made it to the hospital that day. Sooyoung never made it back to their home.

---------
***

 

“I hate it when people said that they’re fine, when in fact they don’t.”

Yeri is honestly speechless when she find Jungkook is walking side by side to her. Hands on his pocket and walking like this is not a big deal. She bump with few of the filming crew, and giving them a quick smile. Jungkook is taking all the attentions. It’s barely a day since news about her dating him surfaced, and now this..

“I’m not lying. I am fine.”

Jungkook give Yeri a quick glance and he actually think that Yeri is not lying. She’s different with Sooyoung, she know what she likes and dislikes, she knows how to be honest with him, but still..he’s just worried.

“I’ll go back immediately.”

“Yeri-ssi!” She heard someone calling her name, so she stopped from her walk, so does Jungkook.

“Oh, Good Morning.”

It’s one of her fellow actress, she’s having a minor role on this movie. She’s nice to her so Yeri don’t really have plan to treat her bad.

“And...?” Her eyes is focusing to Jungkook, and Yeri really hates this.

“He’s my manager, a new one.”

She’s laughing at her when she said that and Jungkook is also smiling with what he heard.

“I know he’s your boyfriend. I worked with Jungkook-ssi last year..”

“Long time no see.”

Jungkook is offering his hand to her, and now they’re talking to each other. This is humiliating. Yeri feels so stupid right now.

“Alright, i’ll see you around.” She left while patting Yeri’s back and waving her hands to Jungkook after they finished with their short conversation.

“See? People knows you.” She hit Jungkook’s back with her palm when she can see Bona number on her phone screen, she’s calling.

“Bona? Why?”

“Unnie. Where are you? The director is already looking for you.”

“I’m already here, on my way. Buying some times for me, ok?”

Yeri ended up her phone call, and taking off her high heels right away. She needs to run. She really want to do well on this project and being late on her first day will makes all the crew pissed off.

“This is your fault.” She talks to Jungkook and start running with all her might. She’s good at it.

Jungkook is not doing anything, the sight of Yeri running with her back facing him is exactly the same with what he usually saw on his nightmare. And it makes him want to let her go.