Zeven

Heimwee ( /ˈɦɛi̯mʋeː/ )

 

"Is there any call for me, Lea?"  It's been more than a week, since Yeri took his number, but nothing is coming from her.

"No, sir. There's nothing."

"Ok, you can go home."

"And you, sir?"

"Later, i'll come home later."

Lea nod her head and leave Jungkook with a bow, it's been few days since he's staying in the office after 8PM without the needs of her. He always send her home and doing his work alone.

Weird. She is ready to go, but still manage to stealing a few glances to Jungkook who's still busy on his desk, while sometimes looking at his watch.

"Lea, Hi!" And all of her questions finally have an answer when Yeri is here.

"Oh, Hello!"

Looks like this is what's been happening for the past few days. Not weird if Jungkook always send her home first.

"Going home?"

"Yes."

Lea is a little bit surprised to see her appearence, no longer high heels or excessive make up, Yeri is wearing a white hoodie with a sweat pants and a sneaker, her brown hair still stands out but she covers it with a snapback. She looks so much younger and prettier somehow.

"I'll get going. Then."

"Oh, right."

Yeri is actually envious with a life like Lea's. Life without any twist or drama. She'll be coming home where her family is waiting, spending times with them talking about how her day was and receiving supports. Just an ordinary life, life she never had.

***


"I'm here."

Jungkook is surprise hearing the familiar voice after he's been wondering where the owner was for the past few days. There's no nightmare too, so it's basically his first time meeting with Yeri again since a week ago.

"Oh? The teamwork ambassador is here." Jungkook and his annoying words is always on point.

"I've been busy. And don't act like you're actually working on it alone. I'm sure you're not.."

Yeri takes a sit in front of him, and Jungkook take out a huge pile of papers and give it to her.

"What is it?"

"It's the list of events, i've been attended for the past two years.."

"And why are you giving me this?"

"Try to remember if you ever attend the same event with me, we probably met before.."

It's cool that Jungkook is doing it while also working with his real job, so Yeri feels a little bit embarrassed and wronged.

"Are you sure you're not asking Lea for doing this for you?"

"What should i say to her, when she asked?"

"You're the boss, she'll just follow your order..why would she ask.."

"Lea is not stupid."

"I didn't call her stupid."

"Just get to work.."

Jungkook is walking out from his office while talking to her in such annoying tone.

"Where are you going?" And he's not answering anything.

Just like how she ordered, Yeri begin to read each paper. Jungkook is already sorting this according to its time table, so she choose to look at the events he attended in the past 5 months, because that's when their nightmare start to begin.

It's hard to focus when you being left alone, in a quiet place, at night, so instead of looking to her paper work, Yeri is busy roaming around Jungkook's office. She can't believe that her encounter with Jungkook could lead into this. She’s even willing to stay in an empty office with him, only him. And she's not scared at all. Why?

"Are you done?"

She's looking at him when he's back to the room with one box of instant bento and one cup of instant noodles. Looks like he went to get a dinner.

"No..are you having your dinner right now?"

"Come on, do your job."

Instead of answering her, Jungkook is nagging her instead, he takes a sit in a couch next to Jimin's desk and put all his food to a small table in front of it. Yeri is following him and take a sit next to him. So this is how office worker live their life.

"Are you eating this, because you don't want to spend money on real food?"

"I'm greedy for money but that doesn't means i'm poor, things like this is more practical. I don't have time."

Well, makes sense.

Yeri is not doing anything while Jungkook is busy with his dinner, she only looks at him and sometimes look around at her surrounding.

"I thought Lea is taking care of your food too."

Jungkook is done with his dinner and cleaning up the table very quickly, he's smiling when Yeri told him something about Lea.

"She is. In her work-hour, Lea is my secretary not my wife."

“ My manager is taking care everything for me, so i thought she's doing the same thing for you too."

Jungkook is back to his desk, while taking off his jacket and drink a bottle of water from his bag.

"Come on let's finish this."

Yeri is coming to him really fast and start working on the document again.

"I've already checked few events i remember. Looks like we actually met often." She give two pages of paper back to Jungkook, she did work on it earlier for his latest event only.

"It's just a simple exhibition, birthday party, award show. I don't think there's something serious."

Jungkook took the paper from Yeri and look at it, she's right, from 8 events he attended for the past 5 months, Yeri only went to 4 of it, and it's just a casual event. He doesn't remember she met her in there, unless for that one gala dinner.

"Do i really need to trace the rest of it?" Yeri is already lost her will to skimming all the paper Jungkook gave to her earlier. It's like a dead end. This is useless.

"Let's take a break." Jungkook is staring at her in disbelief, it's only 2 hours since they started, and she's already asking for a break. She’s does’nt aware about his stare and start taking off her snapback while using her phone again. And he can't say anything to her, she's stubborn.

"Do you know this place?" She's suddenly showing off her phone screen to him.

It's an empty road, with great scenery.

"No."

"I was searching about the place that similar with what i saw from my nightmare, and this one is…"

Jungkook stare at the picture slowly, and she is right, this is really similar

"Where is it?"

Yeri feels nervous suddenly when Jungkook is agreeing with her, she thought it's only her who's overthinking about this place.

"It's not far from my home."

"Your home? Your apartment? there's no place like this around it."

"My parent's home."

"Where?"

She is giving Jungkook her home address, and its location. He begin searching it from his computer. She’s dragging her chair closer to him, nervous and also curious.

"Here?" She's nodding her head when Jungkook finally found the area.

"I've never been here before. I don't know this place."

And Yeri feels so much relieves from hearing that. Her past has nothing to do with this.

"Maybe, the place was decided by your subsconcious and not mine, is it a special place?"

Jungkook keep scrolling while staring at one and every picture he found.

"Yeah, very special." He is probably right, maybe it's her brain and not him.

"It's a beautiful place."

“It is”

Of course, the fact that her favorite place becoming her nightmare is definitely disappointing, but what control does she have..

 

***

 

The night wind in this place is never good. It is cold even in summer night. Yeri find herself sitting in one of the bench near a sycamore tree. There's only a small light coming from the street lights near the empty road.

"Where is he?" She's waiting for someone to come. Someone who can makes her happy.

She start to walk and waiting under the streetlight, when she heard a quick steps from afar. She thought the one she's waiting for is here. But it's actually not. Jungkook is here.

He began to chase her and making her run in a dark road. Yeri's crying because she’s scared and disappointed. Jungkook is not the one she want, he doesn't makes her happy.
 

Yeri gets up from her sleep, with heavy breathing and shaking hands like usual. She's looking around and find Jungkook is sleeping in front of her, on his couch. He turn his body to left and right, there's a scream coming from him. The nightmare is affecting him in so much worse way than her. He lets out a groan. He looks so much in pain.

"Jeon Jungkook-ssi!"

She came to him while calling his name because this situation is really bad. She never saw something like this before. She's shaking his shoulder hard, try to wakes him up, but the only thing she saw it's him who's hugging himself while crying.

It looks really bad, so she hold his hand while still trying to wakes him up, she keeps calling his name, until he stopped.

Yeri is so close to tearing up because she's scared with what just happened. She really thought that he could die. 

"Are you ok?" He finally open his eyes and that's the first words he's asking her.

That question should get asked to him instead of her.

"What about you?" She helps him gets up and Jungkook can only responding with an awkward smile to her.

"I'm not." He's covering his face and his face is so full with regrets.

"I am fine. Don't worry."


***
 

Jungkook and Yeri is no longer able to go back to sleep after what happened, it's still 2AM, she was fell asleep when she's talking to Jungkook about things, and there's the nightmare. Came out from nowhere, when they were together in one place.

"Is it always like that?" Yeri is having it bad, but she never thought that Jungkook is having it worse.

"For 5 months." She is coming to him with a warm tea she made for him

"Do you want to visit a doctor? I receive treatments from my insomnia and.."

"I did visit a doctor..They said i'm just stressed and working too much."

"My doctor said the same thing to." She pat Jungkook's back when he's coughing after taking a sip of her tea.

"What is this?"

"It's a tea."

"You put too much sugar on it."

"Really?" She takes a sip of it, and he is actually right, the tea is horrible.

"I never done this for other people, before.” She only ever serves herself not others.

"How about your parents?" Jungkook can see that Yeri's expression is changed when he ask about her parents.

"They live away from me." She answer the question quick and walking away from him.

"What about you?"   She's back with a bottle of water for him. She feels bad for making him drink her failed sweet tea.

"My parents died. When i was young."

"Sorry." He doesn't actually looked sad when he talks about it.

"It's a long time ago."

"What about now?"

"I live alone." Yeri is nodding her head as she listen to Jungkook and his answers.

"Do you have any sibling?"

He looks at her, takes a deep breath and give her a little smile before he talks again.

"No. You?"

"No."


 

"It's the studio." Since Jungkook and Yeri has no will to go back for sleep, they decide to roaming around an empty office building. The CEO is giving a tour.

"You're really has a lot of money, right?"

"I still need more."

Yeri doesn't understand the background story of Jungkook to becoming someone like this. But he always looks serious everytime he talked about his greed.

"Why?"

"No reason." She is looking around the studio, and for her it's actually more like a gallery instead of a studio.

"Oh? this is my costume from that travel agency project?"

A mannequin is wearing it now.

"Lea designed this one."

About Lea, there are so many chances for Yeri to actually told Jungkook regarding what she think of her. She want to tell him that Lea is genuinely worried for him and about how he should told her that Yeri is not a girlfirend or someone who’s responsible for his well being, she want to makes Lea feel at ease and not blaming her too much about what's happened to Jungkook. But there's always something that stopped her from doing it. She just doesn’t know what it is.

"She's so talented."

"People who works here is very talented."

"And also annoying."

Yeri remember that two girls who's talking trash about her from last week. It's not like she's any better than them, but still..it's annoying.

"Do you mean me?"

"Yeah, of course, you included."

"You also know that you're not so different with me, right? Jaekyung told me about what you did to her."

Yeri is begin to walk again, and watching the studio while being amazed and entertained by her conversation with Jungkook.

"Of course, i know. I'm not a nice person in general."

"Really?"

"I made people around me suffers."

She stopped in front of a huge painting, it's a young boy holding hands with a female teenager, looking bright and happy. So beautiful.

"Who made this one?"

The painting is so pretty, it makes her curious about the artist, it can't be Lea again, right?

"Me." Jungkook is satisified with Yeri's surprised expression so he laughs at her.

"You're good."

Both of them are walking back to the elevator when they finished their tour. For Yeri, It's actually nice to be able to see pretty things after the horrible nightmare. She was scared but now she already feels better.

"If you, someone who made people around you suffers having a hard time because people like me, what does makes me then? am i a monster?"

She stopped her walk when Jungkook start talking about the intriguing thing. She did called him a monster at the beginning of their encounter but not anymore.

"You're not. I mean..not to me, not in this context."

"What context?"

"The nightmare thing. But I don’t know,  for others...you're probably really is a monster.”

"I don’t really care about that. I just want this to stop."

"I know, this thing is affecting you really bad. I'm sorry."

***

"I can drop you home right now." Yeri and Jungkook is at the empty cafeteria in first floor. It's already 4AM.

"That's ok."

Yeri doesn't want to become a trouble for him, she already saw how bad it is for him. If sleeping troubles is enough to stressed her out on her day off. It's definitely worse for Jungkook who's working all day. The only thing to makes it right is for these nightmares to stop, so both of them could go back to their own life.

"Are you busy today?" Jungkook is not looking at her when he answer her question with a simple nod.

"But it's weekend."

"We need to finished this one proposal by Monday, so few of us is working overtime later, me included. Why?"

"Do you want to go to that place? the one from our nightmare..There must be something about it."

He is agree with Yeri’s opinion, maybe it's because she is having a linger memories and thinking about that place often so it became the background of their nightmares. If she get rid of it, there’s possibility for everything to stopped.

"We can go at night, after i'm done with my work." Yeri looks not sure about his suggestion.

"I don’t know if i can act like nothing was happened when i visit that place at night...."

She's right. Going there at night time is like reenacting their nightmares in real life. And judging from how they suffered because of it, that's probably not a good choice.

"It's 2 hours drive, we'll get there before sunset if we depart after lunch.."

Jungkook sounds so open with this idea, and he really want to go. He's already tired and sick of these weird things, and the only thing he want is for this to stop.

"I'll go home now, and i'll pick you up at 2PM, how about it?" So, Yeri is suggesting alternative.

"The sun is still not rising, i'll just drop you home for now."

It's not like Jungkook is unaware about his change of behaviour, he became more sensitive and caring for Yeri, this is happened because of these nightmares, he feels the urge to protect her and not to make her life more miserable after what he did in those dreams. He never treat others this good, not since a long time ago.

"It's ok. I'll call my manager."

He watch Yeri calling someone from her phone and she finished it quickly.

"I'll wait here, you should take a rest and well..try to go back to sleep."

"No. I'll wait with you."

"Fine, then."

Yeri takes a sit in an empty chair at the front office desk, while Jungkook is standing in front of her.

"You're doing this because, you feels guilty, right?"

"Doing what?"

"This, care for me, nice to me, and stuffs.."

"Of course i am, do you think, i'm doing this because i like you?"

"No. Liking someone, caring for them, being nice is not suitable for people like us.."

Yeri said it to him, because she remembers Lea. The innocent, cute and nice girl who's obviously has something to offer for him. She doesn't deserve this, Yeri knows someone like her and Jungkook, won't make peoples happy, especially peoples like Lea. Jungkook is not responding to what she said, he's just smiling and nodding his head. He's agreeing with her.

"When i was young, i always thought that maybe one day i'll be able to get fixed. I'll be back to my old self, but it never happened, i'm living my life without consideration or faith for others."

She talks while laughing together with him. She can’t believe she’s able to being honest regarding this.

"Good for you, back when i realized the only thing matter in this world is only money and power. I never have plan to actually seeking for something else, people for me are just tools to get what i want."

Yeri can see it, it's not hard to judge Jungkook after she saw how they treat people around him.

"You're messier than me."

"No, i'm not."

Jungkook always admit that he is far from treating other nicely, but Yeri is no different with him. If anything, she only ever been a little bit more subtle than him about it.

"I think you're just trying to find justification for how bad you are at treating others."

"What do you mean?"

"The thing you did to Minchae and Jaekyung was bad. And you think you're not doing any wrong just because they made you angry"

"I didn't think like that. Everytime i treat others bad, i know i'm doing something wrong, i clearly know i'm hurting them..i just don't want for others to see me as some kind of angel so i never try to fix my mistake, i don't want them to think that i'm a nice person, because i'm not."

Jungkook can relate to what she said. Because he's also like that, he treat others badly because he already know the worst result from connection between people and he rather to not have any of it, so treating them as tools is a better choice.

"He's here."

The front gate was locked and the basement is also not open, he only see one young man out from the car while calling someone. Yeri is out from the front gate quickly while Jungkook following her from behind.

"Jay!" The young man finally noticed Yeri and waving his hand to her.

"How many managers do you have?"

"Two."

Jungkook is finally see Jay, and the guy looks really surprised for seeing him with Yeri like this. He manage to bow his head to Jungkook, giving him a smile.

"Irene noona will be furious."

"Then you should not tell her about this.

Jungkook can listen to what they said clearly, and he does nothing but watch how Yeri is dealing with this.

"Noona, You're here, at 4 AM in the morning with the Jeon Jungkook. What about i'll live alone forever thing you said to Irene ? Why did you lie to her?"

"Excuse me, Jay, is it?" Yeri is looking at Jungkook, when he suddenly walking closer to Jay, start talking to him, and tap his shoulder lightly.

"She's not lying. Don't worry, as people who really close with her, you know it'd be hard for Yeri to gain someone..”

"But there's you."

Yeri can't help but think the whole thing is hilarious, Jay maybe looks weak and delicate but he's actually good at arguing.

"I'm not her.."

"I'll see you at noon. Jay let's go." Yeri push Jungkook away from Jay and told him to go back inside.

"I don't understand why are you doing this.." She’s honestly too lazy to talk with Jay about Jungkook, so she choose to be quiet and not giving any reaction to him.

"If you're dating him, Irene noona is the first person who should know that. She's your boss.."

"If..If i'm dating him, but i'm not."

"I've been working with you for a long time, and this is my first time to actually see you with a man, talking, interacting, laughing, nothing is fake about it. You looked good together."

"He is a nobody."


 

 

"Good morning, Sir!"

Jungkook is glad that he manage to sleep for few hours, before he begin to work again. He's staying on his room instead of going home.

Lea is already on her desk, the only one who came to work today is only Lea, Jaekyung, Mr. Park and Mr. Kim. They said the need his assistance to finish their proposal for a new project.

"I found this when i was tidying up your office."

He find Lea is talking in a weird tone. She's handing him a pouch and a snapback, Yeri is wearing that last night. And judging from her expression, looks like Lea is already aware about it.

"It's Yeri's. She left it."

"Do you want me to send it to her?"

Jungkook is quite confused with her suggestion because it's not like Yeri is a stranger who lives away from him.

"No, i'll just give this back to her, she'll be here in few hours."

"But the project…"

Lea is closing her eyes immediately, after she realized what she said is weird.

"I'll work on it right now.."

"The presentation is on Monday"

"I know, Lea. So you better work on it."

Jungkook is annoyed, why would she say that, she looks so offended about him meeting with Yeri when his work is still not finished. He knows she probably worried about his credibility and stuffs, but still..she's acting weird. He left her without any more words, and looks like Lea get the message about him disliking what she said.

"What’s wrong?"

Lea shakes her head when Jaekyung came to her. Talking about this to her will just makes her despise Yeri even more so she decide to not let her know about it.

"Mr. Jeon has agenda in few hours, we really need to get this done fast."

***

Yeri arrived at Jungkook’s office ontime, 2PM, just like what she promised to him. There's no one at the front desk or cafeteria, looks like it's a day off for everyone. She open the third floor office glass door, and she can see 3 people is working at their respective station. Lea, Jaekyung, and Mr. Park, She knows everyone, Lea for obvious reason, Jaekyung also for obvious reason, and Mr. Park is the one who helps her work few months ago. They still not aware about her existence, because she's wearing a converse instead of a noisy high heels. She was going to go back and waiting in her car, when Jungkook is out from his office, he's holding a few pages of paper, and calling Lea over with his hands.

"Fix this color, and told Mr. Kim to take a better picture of this background." He looks so serious and professional so does Lea and everyone else. Yeri’s eyes met with Jungkook, when he was going back to his office.

"Can you wait? I need an hour." He talks to her, and everyone is finally aware about her existence right now. They're staring at her.

"Just continue." She's walking fast following Jungkook and entering his office right away.

"We can do it another time, if you're busy." It doesn’t matter for Yeri.

"It's better to deal with this fast.."

"I'm not even sure if this thing is going to work or not."

"We should try."

Yeri stopped talking to him, when he's using his intercom to call Lea. It's only few seconds later, when she heard a knock from the door and Lea is here.

"Revise the color of all cherry blossom sketch on slide 7, RGB 241, 220, 241 raise the brightness to 95%."

She is definitely confused with what's going on, Lea is writing down what Jungkook said fast and out after she's done.

"Cherry blossom is a pink, right?" She's wondering about it, but Jungkook is not answering her question.


***

"Ok, done." Lea turn her face to Mr. Park when he finally gets up from his desk. Jaekyung and Mr. Kim looks relieved too.

"Really?"

"I'm sending it to him, so he can check it."

He's pointing his hand to Jungkook's office. From the outsied Lea can see, Jungkook is still busy staring at his computer. Kim Yeri is sitting in one of the couch, quite far from Jungkook's desk, the only thing she did was playing with her phone for the past 2 hours she's there. She never bother Jungkook, not even once. Looks like she's not annoying as a girlfriend. She's behaving nicely.

It takes  her boss 10 minutes to recheck what Mr. Park send to him, and when he's finally done, he's out from his office with a smile.

"That's good. Mr. Park can do the presentation, Lea and Jaekyung should prepare for the properties just in case they want to see the samples. Mr. Kim will take care of the document. All of you can go now."

Lea can see a happy expression from all of her co worker, they let out a relieve sigh all together, Jaekyung even clapping for herself. It's a total hard work, indeed.

"Lea, let's go!" Jaekyung is dragging her hands, but she stopped her.

"Wait for me outside, I want to talk to Mr. Jeon first."

Jungkook who's still standing in front of his office is aware about what she said, so he came to her after the others are gone from their sight.

"What happened?" He sounds different, his voice is gentle and somehow sweet.

"I want to say sorry about this morning."

"It's nerve wrecking right? two days deadline with so much work to do."

Jungkook’s looks is also different, his expression, he's laughing and smiling to her genuinely.

"Right."

This is awkward for Lea, she's not used to interact with Jungkook like this.

 

"Do you need more time?"  

Lea is moving her eyes from Jungkook to Yeri who’s suddenly pop out from the office.

"No, it's done." She is also nodding her head as Jungkook answering her question.

"We could drop Lea home before we go. I'll drive."

Lea is not comfortable and secretely cursing Yeri on her minds.


"Jaekyung is waiting for me outside, it's ok."

"She can go with us too."

"She hates you."
 

And Lea is glad when Jungkook knows what to said to Yeri for stopping her from making such stupid plan.

"Lea doesn't like me either but i still want to drive her around."

Kim Yeri...

Lea just realized that she can't really fight her. She's brave, too honest, and looks like Jungkook doesn't bothered with the way she acts. This makes Lea doesn't want to disagreeing with her words. Maybe it's true that she dislikes her.

"Me and Jaekyung has plan to watch a movie after this, so..it's ok."

They're not actually doing it, Lea just need a reason to refuse this offer from Yeri.

"You can go." Jungkook is talking to her and she bows her head to him as she leaves.

***

"Jaekyung and Minchae are probably your type of toy but Lea is not."

Yeri is following him back to his office, watching him turning off his computer. What he said is quite bothering her.

"What did i do?"  Playing dumb, even though she knows exactly what's wrong.

"We can make it before sunset if you drive fast."

But he's ignoring her and now dragging her hands outside. Yeri can't believe that she feels bad because Jungkook taking Lea's side instead of her, she never cared about childish things like this before. He put all his belonging to the back seat of her car when they reac the parking lot,  He takes a sit next to Yeri who's still feels uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry." And he get confused when she apologized to him.

"For what?"

"The earlier thing."

"I don’t care, honestly..it’s just Lea is good at her work and i don't want you to ruining it for me."

Jungkook really is don't care, judging from his expression or how he's wearing his leather jacket and close his eyes right away.

"Right."