Truth

The Bro Code
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"It's about Moonbyul..." Yongsun starts, bracing herself for the truth she's about to confess and Minhyuk's impending reaction.

Moonbyul? Minhyuk thinks. He could only think of one thing that could bother Yongsun this much. "Did she told you that she has a crush on you?" Minhyuk asked. He knows his twin so well to know that Byul has an interest in her girlfriend. But he doesn't think too much about it. She trusts Moonbyul that she would never allow it to turn into something more. And it's not like Yongsun would ever entertain it. 

Crush might just be the understatement of the century. Yongsun thinks. "No, Minhyuk, that's not it."

Minhyuk furrows his brows. "What is it then?"

"I've known her long be-" Yongsun was interrupted by an incessant tap on their car window.

Minhyuk tries to recognize the person outside knocking on their window.

"Hyejin?" Yongsun asks, visibly surprised. She rolls down her window.

"Unnie!" Hyejin exclaimed. "Surprise!" she said excitedly. "Sorry, I've been waiting for you to step out of the car but I grew impatient."

Yongsun looks at Minhyuk apologetically.

Minhyuk nods as approval for Yongsun to welcome her friend.

Yongsun smiles gratefully at him before stepping out of his car, then proceeding to hug Hyejin. She missed her so much. She's the only person she could really confide in about her feelings, and she's so glad she's finally here with her. "I can't believe you're here."

"I've been waiting for you since this morning. When the plane landed I went straight here." Hyejin said dramatically. "And I was calling youuuu. But you weren't answering."

"I turned my phone on silent." Yongsun explained.

Minhyuk clears his throat awkwardly.

Yongsun and Hyejin turns to him.

Yongsun's eyes widened. She almost forgot Minhyuk was waiting in the car, she wasn't able to introduce them soon enough "I'm sorry! Hyejin, this Minhyuk. My boyfriend." she points at Minhyuk, then introduces Hyejin to her boyfriend. "Love, this is Hyejin."

"Hiiii!" Hyejin greets enthusiastically.

Minhyuk smiles at her.

"Yep, she got Moonbyul's smile." Hyejin mumbles, earning a slight nudge from Yongsun.

Minhyuk steps out of the car, walking behind Yongsun and placing an arm behind her lower back. "It's nice to finally meet you, Hyejin." he says, extending his free hand to Hyejin, which she gladly takes.

"Likewise." Hyejin replied.

Minhyuk seemingly kisses Yongsun on the side of her head, whispering in Yongsun's ear. "I'll go home, first, Yongsun. We'll continue our talk later."

Yongsun nods. "Get home safe."

Minhyuk turns to Hyejin. "I better get going. I'll give you both time to catch up." Minhyuk states.

Hyejin smiles. "Take care." she greets. "And oh! Sorry for knocking on your window, I thought it was Unnie's car. I didn't know she was with someone else, and I got really excited to see her." she apologized before she could forget.

"No worries." Minhyuk assured with a genuine smile.

Hyejin couldn't help but see Moonbyul in his smile. She wonders if it's the first thing that caught Yongsun's attention.

As soon as Minhyuk left, Yongsun immediately texts Moonbyul to give her a heads up about her interrupted confession to Minhyuk.

She almost throws her phone when Moonbyul's name appeared on her phone screen. She can't believe something so simple could make her heart jump.

Her reaction didn't go unnoticed by Hyejin's keen eyes, but she keeps it to herself, saving that conversation for later.

Yongsun answers her phone.

"Yong." she hears Byul's voice from the other line. She realized this was their first phone call, and somehow that made her feel some type of way.

"Byul-ah." she answers.

"To what extent of the truth did you tell him?" Moonbyul asks, so she'd be a little bit prepared when Minhyuk gets home.

"I wasn't able to tell him much. Hyejin arrived and interrupted us." Yongsun replied, intentionally letting the younger girl hear her remark.

Hyejin pouts. "You're so mean." she says playfully.

Yongsun chuckles.

Moonbyul smiles at the other line. This is what she's been missing. Yongsun rarely laughs these days. She finds it endearing to hear Yongsun's chuckle on the phone.

"Hyejin! Come visit me! I missed you!" Moonbyul exclaimed on the phone knowing that Hyejin would be able to hear her.

"Unnie! I miss you too! Come treat me to lunch." Hyejin exclaimed with the same energy.

Yongsun clears her thoat. "Byul, focus." she said, catching Byul's attention.

"So possessive." Hyejin comments, teasing her friend.

Yongsun glares at her, but decided to ignore her comment. "I wasn't able to tell Minhyuk anything. But he knows it's about you."

"That's it?" Moonbyul asks.

"I told you I wasn't able to tell him much..." Yongsun remarked.

"Well, can I ask you a favor?" Moonbyul asks.

"What is it?" she inquires.

"Can I be the first one who tells Minhyuk about us?" Moonbyul asks with her eyes closed, hoping that Yong would agree. "I mean, our past." she felt the need to clarify.

Yongsun caught on the defensiveness in her tone, but decided to focus on the question at hand. "I don't mind."

"Really?" Byul seemed surprised. She thought she's have a harder time convincing Yongsun.

 "He's your brother after all. You'd know what would be best. We'll have our own conversation later." Yongsun states. "Minhyuk and I, I mean." she also felt the need to clarify.

"Ouch." Hyejin mouths. She's aware of everything that's been going on between Byul and Yongsun. They have constant communication and the older girl kept her updated.

"Okay. Thank you." Moonbyul simply replied.

"Okay." Yongsun answered.

Silence filled the line, but no one seemed to stop the call any time soon. As if they were contented just hearing each other breathe on the other line.

Hyejin clears . That technique seemed to be working on getting people's attention, she notes to herself.

Yongsun blinks, as if she was awakened from a trance. "I better get going now, Byul."

"Bye, Yong." she simply says. "Hyejin, I'll see you soon." she said, acknowledging the other girl's presence.

"Bye." Yongsun and Hyejin said in unison before hanging up.

Minhyuk arrived almost an hour later after Moonbyul's phone call with Yongsun.

Moonbyul spent her time pacing back and forth, thinking of the right things to say to her brother. But she came up with none. She couldn't think of a justifiable reason for her to hide her connection to Yongsun from Minhyuk on their first meeting, and the days leading to now. Maybe there's really not a single valid reason for her to do so, except the fact that she got scared. That she is scared.

She's not sure how Minhyuk would take it. Or how she'd be able to explain it. She didn't want to ruin his brother's first relationship for him. And she knows that back then, knowing her past with Yongsun might somehow jeopardize their relationship. And maybe the first time she lied about it was for Minhyuk's sake, but the different circumstances after that, the other times she kept quiet about it, she knows it wasn't just about Yongsun and Minhyuk's relationship anymore or even her relationship with his brother. It had something to do with herself. It rather turned into selfish reasons.

It became more about being scared of addressing her past with Yongsun. She's afraid that acknowledging their past would mean tackling the very thing she's avoiding. Feelings. She's scared of what she felt then, and she's terrified of how she feels now. She didn't want to acknowledge those feelings -not to herself, not to Yongsun, and definitely not to Minhyuk.

She's afraid of telling the truth because then she'd have to reassure Minhyuk that he has nothing to worry about because it meant nothing to her. And telling that would be her lying to his face.

Moonbyul was startled when she saw Minhyuk standing in the doorway of her room. "You seem to be in deep thought." he observed.

"Minhyuk." she felt her shoulder tense up. This is it. Moonbyul tells herself as she mentally prepares herself for the conversation they'd be having.

"Can we talk?" he asks, slipping both his hands in his pockets.

Moonbyul finds a little comfort in his twin's smile, despite his serious tone.

Moonbyul nods, sitting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter