About Last Night

The Bro Code
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Let's just tell him together." Yongsun suggested.

"I can't." Byul replied.

"Why not?" Yongsun asked, trying to make sense of why Byul would not help her tell Minhyuk.

"Because then I'd have to lie to him again. I just know it." Byul replied, but it didn't make sense to Yongsun. So she just gave her a questioning look again. "About what?"

"About you."

"My feelings for you."

...is what Moonbyul wanted to say.

But it was selfish and reckless to say that.

The rational part of her -the part of her that respects Minhyuk and Yongsun, the part of her that respects their relationship, the part of her that gives them more importance than her want- told herself to lie instead.

And so she did.

"I'd probably make up more lies to excuse what I did. To excuse why I didn't tell him. And I don't want that. Plus, I don't want to see him look at me with disappointment." Moonbyul reasoned.

Yongsun didn't know why she felt a little bit dismayed at Byul's reason. She didn't know what she expected Byul to say, but what she said wasn't it. Something about the way Byul looked at her for just a moment, made her think that Moonbyul's reason concerns her. She's pretty convinced that there's something that Byul's not telling her. She's just not sure if she wanted to know what it was exactly, there's a reason why Byul is holding back her thoughts, maybe it's for the best. So she didn't press her about it.

Yongsun nods, "I'm not sure your absence would lessen his disappointment in you, if anything he would probably take it against you."

Byul agrees. "I guess so. But it's my way to make it up to you. I know I hurt you in the past. This is my payment for that."

"By ruining your perfect relationship with your brother?" Yongsun asks. She couldn't find it in herself to be happy or comfortable about that. In fact, she finds it ridiculous.

 "I know my brother, Yongsun. What happened between us would upset him. Badly. And he'd want a person to blame. I know he loves us both, so it's either he'd let it go and contain the disappointment to himself until he can no longer do so, or he'd hate us both and distance himself and drown in self-pity. So I'm willing to take the fall. Tell him that you wanted to tell him but I stopped you. I don't want to ruin what you have now just because of my presence."

To be honest, Yongsun knows it shouldn't be this big of a deal. She wasn't supposed to hide anything about her past. But telling your boyfriend on the first night you meet his twin sister that you and his twin slept together a while back would have been inappropriate. Maybe she could've worded it differently and told Minhyuk that she had a brief but very significant history with Moonbyul, but she's not comfortable saying that either.

How she wishes she could've just told Minhyuk then and there, or at the very least, earlier than this night. But she couldn't. And right now it's even harder for her because just then, just at that moment, she looks at Byul, and Byul looks at her, and she knows that when she decides to tell Minhyuk the truth, her boyfriend would ask her something along the lines of "But that's all in the past, right?" and she wouldn't be able to answer. At least not what Minhyuk would like to hear.

"I'll think about it," Yongsun replies, not wanting to give a definite answer. Thinking that maybe telling Minhyuk now wouldn't be such a good idea after all. Yongsun groans. "I hate not being able to share my problems with him."

"That's why I'm telling you to tell him already." Moonbyul notes. She's tired of keeping secrets too, especially from her brother. "Besides, you're the one who came up with the idea, right?"

Yongsun looks at her. "Well, I changed my mind."

"Because?" Moonbyul asks, raising her left eyebrow.

"Because then I'd have to lie to him again." Yongsun mirrors Byul's answer earlier, looking straight at Byul, knowing full well that if she looked any second longer, Byul would know exactly what she meant by it. And so she looks away, folding her arms against her chest as if she's putting up a wall between them.

"About what?" it was Byul's turn to ask.

"You. My feelings...for you."

Byul didn't know why it seemed like it was easier to be the one saying it rather than to be at the receiving end of that confession.

"You're not supposed to say that, Solar." Moonbyul reminded her, as if Yongsun needed it.

Of course, she knows that. But Yongsun just wanted to be truthful for once. She wanted to be true to her feelings or else she's going to explode.

"You're not supposed to have any feelings for me unless it's a friendly one." Byul whispers, holding herself back from feeling any satisfaction from Yongsun's confession. "You're dating my brother." she emphasized. A reminder to Yongsun and herself.

Yongsun looked hurt as she looked away, that Byul almost wanted to take back her words. But even if she did, she knows it wouldn't erase the complications that came along with what Yongsun just said.

"I knooow." Yongsun said in dismay, her tone as if pleading Byul to just let her be. Just this once. She's silently asking Byul to let her feel what she really feels.

And Byul heard her.

Loud and clear.

"I'm sorry." Byul apologized. But more than being apologetic, she feels the regret nagging her heart and mind. "If only I did everything I could to contact you back then. If only I didn't leave so abruptly..." she trails off, she didn't want to finish her thought. She couldn't. It wouldn't mean anything now, anyway.

"Yeah...me too." Yongsun looked up to the sky to stop her tears from falling, but after a second or so, a tear escaped from her eyes.

Before Moonbyul could process what she was doing, her left hand's already resting on Yongsun's cheek as she wipes her tears with her thumb.

When they both realized what was happening they looked into each other's eyes, as Byul retreated her hand and took a step back. "I'm sorry."

"You don't have to be." Yongsun replied as she fixes herself. "I think I'll go to bed now."

Moonbyul di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter