The Human's Determination

Devil's Hour - 3 AM

“Sana?” Dahyun called out right after she closed the door to her bathroom.

 

All her past fears of supernatural beings flew straight out of the window.

Her compassion for the ghost that had been bounded to the same house for God knows how long has surpassed her cowardly-self.

 

“Sana!” she called out once more, letting her tears fall freely down both cheeks.

It was when she had started sobbing vocally that she saw the faint outline of the familiar ghost.

 

“I’m sorry, Dahyunnie, but I really don’t want anyone to see me like this right now.”

Sana’s sweet voice was a little raspy, most likely due to the fact she had also been crying.

Hearing how broken she sounded, Dahyun dropped to the ground.

 

She felt apologetic for all her past behaviour towards the friendly ghost.

She never put the girl’s state into consideration until now.

She never thought in Sana’s shoes until now.

She never realised how dreadful it must be for the ghost to remain trapped within the house she was coldly murdered in.

 

Murdered for protecting someone else.

With the other soon joining her fate.

 

Dahyun’s mind was spinning with all sorts of questions and emotions.

Was there anything- anything at all that she could do to help them out?

Was there a way to end their misery, to finally set them free from their haunting memories?

Was there a method to help them pass on from the spirit world, so that they could finally rest in absolute peace?

 

The peace they truly deserved.

A happy ending.

 

“Sana… please…” Dahyun wept on.

She found herself reaching her arms out, even though she was talking to a ghost whom she couldn’t touch.

 

All she wanted was to give the ghost a hug.

To be there for her when she was crying.

To wipe away her possible tears.

To comfort her when she needs someone.

 

 

 

And magically, she felt it again.

She felt it, clearer than before.

She was certain now.

 

 

She felt Sana’s hand on her cheek, her delicate fingers wiping Dahyun’s teardrops away.

 

 

Back within the living room, Chaeyoung also found herself being in the exact same situation.

She went to give Tzuyu an embrace-

Or at least a gesture of a hug, since she was prepared for her arm to stick straight through of the ghost’s body as usual.

 

Yet she also felt it.

 

Her arms wrapping around something.

Wrapping around Tzuyu’s body.

 

“W-What the…?” Chaeyoung couldn’t help but to gasp out loud as she somehow clung onto Tzuyu.

The ghost was also incredibly surprised.

She didn’t know she was capable of interacting with humans physically again.

 

It had merely been a dream ever since she passed away.

To hang out with other people.

To pretend that she wasn’t actually dead.

To be treated as a human again.

 

But unfortunately her wish had never been granted.

All of the previous tenants who had discovered her and Sana’s existence immediately moved out, not wanting to live within a haunted house.

She couldn’t even talk to them without hearing them scream at their faces in fear, let alone try to interact with them properly.

 

Which was the reason why she was secretly grateful for Dahyun and her friends, even though she behaves as if she despises them.

That was merely an act to protect herself from getting hurt again.

She knew they were different after her first meeting with the trio.

It was what made her want to protect Chaeyoung when the demi-demon showed up randomly at the house.

 

Tzuyu knew they were special.

 

She found her own eyes damping upon feeling a proper human’s touch.

For the first time in decades.

 

 

“… Im Nayeon, is this your doing?” Jeongyeon exclaimed, noticing the mischievous grin on the witch’s face after turning around to look at her.

“… Maybe?” Nayeon simply replied, making Jihyo ruffle her hair as a silent compliment. “Enjoy it while it lasts, kiddo.”

Tzuyu nodded before Jeongyeon made her way over to also give her an embrace.

And eventually the two Japanese demons also joined in.

The witches looked at one another with the same smile before placing down their cups, adding themselves into the group hug.

The seven girls remained that way for a while.

 

 


 

 

As soon as Dahyun realised she could feel Sana’s touch despite still not seeing her, she hastily figured out the location of Sana’s arm before pulling the ghost into a gigantic hug.

The human had pulled the ghost so hard that she fell backwards, making Sana fall on top of her.

Although she was now laying on her bathroom floor, she didn’t get up nor did she let go.

 

Her arms wrapped themselves tightly around Sana’s slim waist, forcing her to stay on top of her body.

She could feel Sana’s sobs through her own chest as the girl’s body crushed hers.

The petite human didn’t mind getting squashed underneath.

Not when she could finally embrace the poor ghost.

 

She didn’t want to think about how long Sana had been needing such a moment.

For someone else to understand their stories.

To understand their pain.

To weep for them.

To truly care for them.

 

Sana finally showed herself completely.

Her eyes were slightly puffy from crying too hard earlier on.

Now that Dahyun had her in her arms, her sobs gradually faded.

She was merely enjoying the human’s act of comfort as she slowly calmed down.

 

“Dahyunnie?” her raspy voice called out, still ever so sweetly.

“Yes, Sana?” Dahyun managed to mumble back, her face being smothered within the crook of Sana’s neck.

“I have a favour to ask.”

 

 


 

 

“Oh, you actually brought her back!” Chaeyoung cheered loudly as Dahyun lead Sana back into the living room. “Two people alone within the bathroom during a party- don’t tell me you were making demi-ghouls in there.” the youngest human wriggled her eyebrows, immediately making Dahyun dash towards her to kick her .

“You’re the worst, Son Chaeyoung.” Dahyun rolled her eyes as she sat back down next to Momo.

The demi-demon immediately rested her head onto Dahyun’s shoulders, making the home-owner blush furiously.

 

“Hey guys, what do bubble teas say?” Jeongyeon asked out of nowhere, obviously slurring and incredibly wasted.

“What?” Nayeon responded, just as drunk.

“ my balls.” the oldest of the human trio grinned idiotically, triggering the laughter of Nayeon, Jihyo, and Chaeyoung.

Tzuyu had fallen asleep after sobbing within the group hug for a while, and Sana was now adjusting their positions so the younger ghost could rest her head on Sana’s thighs.

Momo couldn’t understand the joke, and Mina simply chose to ignore it.

Dahyun could only let out a sigh.

 

“How much did you guys drink while I was away?”

“Most of the remaining ones, sorry.” Jihyo apologised before starting a hiccupping-fit.

“I thought you were the responsible one, Jihyo-sshi.” Dahyun sighed in defeat.

“I’m sorry, their story got me!” the younger witch reasoned poorly, “I had to drink the sadness away or else Nayeon would laugh at my crying face!”

You actually laughed at my crying face, jerk!” Nayeon spat, playfully shoving her fellow witch off the edge of the sofa with a single kick.

 

Jihyo landed on Mina.

 

“Oh hi. You’re actually super pretty, you know that?” Jihyo suddenly blinked at the flustered demon.

The witch’s compliment gained the attention of another female.

 

“Why’s everyone trying to compete with me?!” the drunk Chaeyoung cried as she made her way over to them, trying her very best to pluck Jihyo off of her crush.

Jihyo eventually got removed from Mina’s body with a helping kick from Nayeon, who mercilessly shoved her further away with her foot.

 

“Yah- stop kicking me, unnie!”

“That’s what you get for laughing at me, paaabo.” the older witch stuck out her tongue childishly.

“See? This is why people think I’m your goddamn mother.”

“Mum, I need some allowance money.”

“Bug off.”

 

With Jihyo away from Mina’s body, the Son Chaeyoung who wasn’t in her right mind plopped herself right in between Mina’s extended legs, snuggling backwards onto the demon’s body as they sat on the floor.

Mina’s instantly blushed from the adorable girl’s random skin-ship, making Jeongyeon whistle out from the side.

 

“Alright, I give up Chaeng. You fit perfectly in there.” the barista chuckled, “Myoui Mina’s yours I suppose. I quit.”

“Honey, were you cheating-but-not-cheating on me?” Nayeon gasped as she threw herself onto Jeongyeon, who immediately tried to wriggle herself away.

“Honey, neither of us had ever confessed to one another. How can I be your honey?”

“Simple, confess to me right now!”

“Why should I be the one to confess when you’re clearly the one who’s all over me- like, literally.” Jeongyeon glanced at their current positions before letting out a defeated sigh.

“Because I prefer to be the one who gets confessed.”

“Nah, no thanks.”

Why?!”

“Because you’re buck teeth.”

“What doesn’t that even mean?! Jihyooo, she’s bullying meee.”

“Good job, Jeongyeon-sshi. Keep up the good work.”

“Thank you ma’am, I do try.”

“YAH, YOU TWO!”

 

“Gosh, we should probably end this party soon, huh.” Dahyun rubbed her neck sheepishly, “What time is it?”

“It’s almost six in the morning.” Sana giggled. “Time sure flies past when you’re having fun.”

“They’re all going to regret it when they’re sober again, for sure.” Dahyun snickered to herself after taking a peek at the chaos happening on her sofa. “Are you going to take Tzuyu back and rest or something?”

“Yup! Her room’s actually where your dining table is, so it’ll be a piece of cake to drag her there.” Sana replied with her usual grin. “I’ll see you later, Dahyunnie.”

 

Before Sana vanished with Tzuyu, she removed the younger ghost from her lap to get to Dahyun’s side.

Speedily, she planted a kiss onto the pale girl’s cheek, making Dahyun’s face burn up in shyness.

“Thanks again. For everything.” Sana smiled, returning back to the slumbering Tzuyu before vanishing from their sight.

 

Dahyun blinked as she brought her hand up to touch where the ghost had smooched.

Strangely, that hand was instantly tugged away by someone else.

She turned her head around to find a frowning Momo staring right at her.

The flustered human gulped from having her hand gripped within Momo’s soft ones.

It had been a dream of hers to experience that for a while now.

 

“No fair.” the demi-demon puffed her cheeks, confusing Dahyun even more while Mina giggled at the side.

“Y-Yes, Momo-sshi?” Dahyun blinked some more, not knowing what was going through Momo’s mind.

The school idol was staring intensely into Dahyun’s mono-lidded eyes, resulting the human’s body to burn up just like her face.

She had no clue to why Momo was looking as if she was about to devour her.

 

“What’s not fair, Momo-sshi?” Dahyun tried to ask once again, not wanting to be engulfed by an awkward silence-

Well, there wasn’t an awkward silence, since in the background there were three drunk people who obviously didn’t know how to control their volume.

For whatever the reason, the witches were having a fist-fight and Jeongyeon was trying to seperate them before they kill each other by accident.

 

I want to do it too.” Momo muttered under her breath, not giving Dahyun the chance to decipher her words.

 

“W-What?”

 

“… 私もやりたい.”

 

Defeated, Dahyun glanced at Mina for help.

Mina giggled softly before translating for the confused human.

 

“She basically wants to kiss you too, Dahyun-sshi.”

 

“H-Huh?!”

 

And before Dahyun could react any further, the pair of hands that were holding onto hers rose up to her face.

She felt Momo’s fingers caress her cheeks gently.

As soon as she turned her head to look at Momo in the eyes-

 

 

Their lips contacted one another’s.

 

 

Being the only witnesses, Chaeyoung and Mina squeal in delight.

Jihyo had passed out on the sofa with her sticking up to the air.

Nayeon was trying her best to smooch Jeongyeon herself, and Jeongyeon was too busy resisting to see what was happening to Dahyun.

 

Momo had only released their kiss after almost running out of air.

Dahyun’s face was completely red by now.

 

“I like you, Dahyunnie.” Momo grinned happily.

“B-B-But Momo-sshi, y-you’re drunk.” Dahyun tried to reason despite already knowing the fact- thanks to the other demon within the room.

“Find me when I’m sober and I’ll say it again…” Momo slurred before finally crashing into dreamland.

 

Dahyun was left to blink rapidly as her mind proceeded what had just happened between her and her crush.

 

They kissed.

On the lips.

 

“Congrats, tofu!” Chaeyoung cheered happily within Mina’s lap.

She had adjusted the girl’s arms so that Mina was back-hugging her while she sat there in pure bliss.

 

Her sober self would’ve died in such a position.

But the drunk Chaeyoung was much bolder.

 

“My turn!”

 

Mina didn’t realise that Chaeyoung was talking to her until she lowered her head and found Chaeyoung smiling shyly at her.

Thanks to her fast reflex, the timid demon was capable of gently pushing Chaeyoung’s face away, not letting her smooch her while she was wasted.

“I wouldn’t want our first to be like this, Chaeyoungie.” Mina smiled warmly, instantly making the drunk girl obedient to her words.

 

Dahyun gasped after finally taking in what Mina had just said.

“You like Ch-” the human silenced herself after seeing Mina gesturing for her to do so with a shy gummy grin.

Dahyun immediately nodded and gave her a thumbs up.

 

She was incredibly happy for her friend.

And for herself.

And maybe for Jeongyeon, but the barista seemed to be struggling quite a bit at the side.

 

… Nevermind, Dahyun decided to go save her friend.

 

“Alright Im Nayeon-sshi, please stop trying to ually assault my close friend thank you very much.” the home-owner grunted as she tugged the witch away by her collar, “I think it’s time for us to return to our individual places to rest for the day. It’s 6 AM already.”

 

“Ah no worries, cute little one, us witches can teleport.” Nayeon grinned stupidly at her.

“Um… are you sure it’s safe to teleport while drunk? You won’t get yourself killed, right?” Dahyun worried, yet the witch merely waved her hand at her.

“Pfft- I’ll be fineee. Good night.”

And with that said, Nayeon vanished.

 

And the sound of a crash could be heard coming from Dahyun’s bedroom.

 

Kim Dahyun quickly dashed inside her room and there Nayeon was, lying in the middle of the floor.

She grinned sheepishly at Dahyun, who had her arms crossed in front of her chest.

 

“… Hi, Dahyunnie.”

“… Just go nap on my sofa, I don’t have the energy to care anymore.”

“… Yes ma’am.”

 

Obediently, Nayeon did as she was told and crashed straight onto the sofa, squishing right beside the sleeping Jeongyeon.

Dahyun then went to Mina who was now holding onto a slumbering Chaeyoung.

The pale human looked at her apologetically.

 

“I’ll take her. You should bring Momo home for a proper rest.”

“I will. Thank you so much for having us over.” Mina smiled as she handed the human over carefully.

 

It was the smile that reminded Dahyun the fact that she was their school’s goddess.

But the girl didn’t feel flustered from seeing it anymore.

Only one person would make her feel that way now.

 

With Dahyun clinging onto an unconscious Chaeyoung and Mina clinging onto a sleeping Momo, the soberest girls bid themselves farewell.

They finally put an end to the chaotic party.

Everyone but the home-owner was fast asleep within the house.

 

After she had gently laid Chaeyoung down onto her own bed and tucking her in like a baby, the pale student wiped her sweat off of her forehead before letting out an exhausted huff.

She wasn’t done just yet.

 

 

“Alright, let’s start digging.”