The Human's Confession

Devil's Hour - 3 AM

Located at the Han River grass-field.

Somewhere facing the tallest buildings.

 

A large tree with a thick trunk-

If it hadn’t been cut down, Dahyun prays.

 

Our names.

They should be on there.

 

“Oh my gosh…” the university student gasped as she traced her fingers along the craved letters.

Dahyun was amazed how she managed to find their traces from the past.

It truly made her feel even more connected to them both.

 

It was the marks of an unforgotten story.

Their timid and unofficial love story.

 

Somewhere beneath the soil around that tree.

There’s a hidden box filled with memories.

 

Buried purposefully and precisely in hopes to be rediscovered again someday.

Although Dahyun wasn’t the one whom the box awaited for, it was fine.

The girl gained permission to do the deed.

She was sent to go on a treasure hunt.

 

Dig out the soil.

And take out what’s hidden beneath it all.

 

“T-There it is!” Dahyun shrieked to herself like the madwoman she seemed, digging around a tree on a Sunday morning.

Her heart had increased its pace as her shovel clearly struck something sturdy.

Something that wasn’t a rock for once.

It made a sound.

The texture of tin.

 

Finally loose enough for her to grab with her bare hands, the pale girl heaved with all her might.

The box loosened from the soil, making her fall straight back on her with a thud.

She winced in pain, but she wasn’t bothered by the stinging sensation.

 

Dahyun had the box safely in her hands.

 

Slowly opening the mysterious box to which Sana had instructed her to find, Dahyun gulped as she removed the lid completely.

Within it was a single letter and an incredibly worn out photograph.

She could barely tell that the figures were supposed to be human, but with proper context she knew exactly who those two were.

It was a photo of the ghosts that were bounded to her house.

 

“For Tzuyu…” Dahyun read the back of the envelope, her hands shaking in excitement.

She carefully placed it within her bag and buried the box back within the soil- along with the photograph inside of it, just like what she was instructed to do.

The first part of her mission was done.

She couldn’t wait until she gets the opportunity to proceed on to the next step of the favour.

 

 


 

 

“Hello, what may I ge-”

Jeongyeon didn’t even bother finishing her sentence when she realised who the customer was.

Instead she simply groaned.

 

“... Go on.”

“What do you want this time, Im Nayeon?” the exhausted barista huffed without a single drop of energy in her words.

She found herself facing the witch alone within the empty coffee shop, just like a week or so ago.

 

“It’s 3 AM on a Monday. Spare me.”

“Technically it’s a Tuesday now.”

“Whatever. I can’t deal with your usual bull-crap.”

“Well, you’re in luck.” Nayeon suddenly announced, “You won’t be dealing with my bull-crap. In fact you won’t be dealing with it in the future either.”

 

“Wait- huh?” Jeongyeon’s eyes now widened towards the witch, who was not in her usual attire for once.

That sudden realisation made the barista nervous.

“What’s going on?”

 

“I’m not responsible for your area anymore. We won’t meet ever again.”

 

Jeongyeon’s brain took extra-long to take in those words of Nayeon’s.

For some odd reasons, not only did her brain hurt, her heart ached too.

She had never felt such a pain before. She was a little scared.

 

“W-Why? Why did you suddenly switch?”

“I didn’t. I wasn’t doing my job properly so they’re replacing me. I’ll be doing another job elsewhere.” Nayeon gave her a sheepish smile after her explanation. “It’s what I deserve for screwing around so much. I can’t believe I even partied all night with you guys.”

“Was that the reason that got you in trouble?”

“No, there’s a ton of other stuff before that.” the witch cackled as she leaned onto the counter, “But a lot of those reasons included you, Yoo Jeongyeon.”

“I… I don’t get it.” the flustered barista stammered, still unwilling to accept what she had heard straight from the girl’s mouth.

 

Why was this happening all of a sudden?

This wasn’t what she had wanted.

Jeongyeon never meant for things to end like this.

Not like this.

 

“You sure there’s no other way to fix this?”

“Fix what?”

 “You leaving.”

“It’s not a probem that could be fixed. It’s an order.”

“B-But still…”

 

“Yoo Jeongyeon, I thought you’d be the most excited one to know about my departure.” Nayeon raised her eyebrows, “What happened to the ‘I can’t deal with your usual bull-crap’ Jeongyeon? She was right there a minute ago.” the witch mimicked before giving her another grin.

None of her smiles were as bright and mischievous as before.

Jeongyeon didn’t like this at all.

 

“No I-” the barista caught herself hesitating red-handedly.

She was now shocking herself with her own behaviour.

 

Why was she acting this way?

Why was she panicking all of a sudden?

Didn’t she find Nayeon annoying?

Wouldn’t she be better off without the headaches she causes?

 

So what was it that prevented her from being happy about this news?

 

 

“Jeongyeon-ah.” Nayeon’s voice made the human flinch out of her thoughts. “My time’s running out.”

“Wait so- you really won’t be able to come back?”

“No.”

“Even just for a visit?”

“Why, would you want me to?”

 

Jeongyeon gulped again, having her words stuck against the walls of .

She had so much to say, even more to ask, yet time was ticking.

 

“I…”

“Look, I’m sorry for all the troubles and loss of brain cells I’ve caused.” Nayeon huffed, “I just wanted to apologise about that before leaving, okay? That’s all I’m here for so that I wouldn’t have any regrets. If you actually don’t have anything else to say, I have to go.”

 

“NO!”

 

Nayeon found herself flinching in shock from the barista’s sudden raise in volume.

Although the barista was known for her loudness- just like the two witches, the tone of her voice seemed different this time.

It was neither anger nor excitement, but rather leaning closer towards sorrow.

Jeongyeon had no idea what had gotten into herself either, but before she knew it she was dashing out of the counter.

 

And she ended up dashing straight into Nayeon’s arms.

 

“I-I’m sorry…” Jeongyeon trembled with her grip tightening around Nayeon’s waist, “I’m sorry for making you think that I hate you.”

“Jeongyeon…” Nayeon stammered in shock, her hand grasping loosely onto the girl’s apron. “I’m glad that you don’t really dislike me, but I really have to go. The devil’s hour is almost over.”

“No, Nayeon! Please, don’t leave yet…” the barista was practically begging, unwilling to let the witch go from her embrace.

Nayeon was trying her best to push away, but Jeongyeon was simply stronger.

 

“Come on you big- koala, let me go.”

“N-No.”

“You’ve wanted to kick my out of places so many times, yet now that I’m finally leaving you’re not letting me?”

“I-I actually really like you, Im Nayeon.” the barista suddenly confessed out of nowhere, causing hearts to skip a beat. “Like, I really, really like you… so please…”

 

Nayeon’s cheeks blushed ever so slightly. “Yoo Jeongyeon…”

“Don’t leave…”

“Look, it’s not my own cho-”

“Nayeon, please…”

“I-”

“Please… don’t leave me…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“… Okay fine.”

 

Jeongyeon blinked blankly from hearing the mischievous tone of Nayeon’s voice.

She pulled away from the girl’s body, finally seeing the smirk on her face.

 

“I thought you didn’t like me, but I guess you do love me.” the witch was completely back to her usual self, baffling the hell out of Jeongyeon.

“W-What the-”

“Unnie, you should seriously quit being a witch and go into acting. You’d become a Hollywood sensation.” Jihyo suddenly appeared out of nowhere, still making Jeongyeon scream in terror. “Oh hey, nice work too, Yoo Jeongyeon! You almost made me shed a tear, but then I saw Im Nayeon’s face so they got right back into my eyeballs.”

 

Jihyo? What the hell is going on?!” the barista was now capable of shrieking again.

She then noticed the phone within the younger witch’s hands.

 

“… Were you recording us, Park Jihyo…?”

 

Jihyo looked at the device within her own hands before shoving it into her pockets.

“… No?”

 

“Was this a prank on me?”

 

Nayeon transformed back into her witch attire with a simple turn of her body, giving the human she loved a playful wink.

 

“… Yes?”

 

IM ING NAYEON!!!” the human immediately bolted towards the older witch, ready to murder her with her bare hands.

Of course, a human couldn’t possibly stand up against a magical witch.

Nayeon somehow summoned a flying broom and was now levitating out of Jeongyeon’s reach.

 

The barista let out a defeated scowl. “I thought you didn’t ride brooms?!”

“I felt extra today.” Nayeon simply grinned back, “I love you, Yoo Jeongyeon.”

“Wha-” Jeongyeon caught herself blushing furiously. “P-Pabo! Shut up and get down here so I can tear you a new -crack!”

 

“Oh wow Yoo Jeongyeon, that’s really feisty of you to say.” Jihyo commented with a smirk as she hid behind the till, “Maybe keep those thoughts to yourselves next time? Or at least wait until I’m not third-wheeling.”

“Gosh- not you too, Jihyo!” the poor human cried from all the jabs she’s suddenly receiving left and right.

 

Both her mind and heart were going crazy.

And it was all Im Nayeon’s fault.

 

…  And maybe Jihyo’s, but mostly Nayeon’s.

 

“Give it up, Jeongyeon. We’ve captured your confession on video. There’s no point in denying now.” Nayeon snickered as Cinematographer Park gave her a thumbs up. “Just say that you love me and I’ll come down.”

Instead of complying, Jeongyeon took off her shoes and threw it directly at the flying witch, making her scream while she dodged for her life.

 

“YAH! Why is it so hard for you to confess that you love me?!”

“BECAUSE!” Jeongyeon threw the second shoe, which luckily only grazed past Nayeon’s head.

Jihyo snickered at the sight of the two idiots before kindly fetching the pair of footwear back and placing them together on the floor.

 

The witch grunted in annoyance.

“Throw all the shoes you’d want at me, honey, but I know you love me.”

 

“I…” Jeongyeon closed both of her eyes tightly.

 

“You?”

 

“I ing…” the barista gritted her teeth while clenching her fists, absolutely fuming.

Jihyo raised her eyebrows in surprise as she watched on as an audience. “Wow, she’s really trying.”

 

Jeongyeon deeply inhaled a lung-full of air before bellowing out with all her might.

 

I ING LOVE YOU, IM NAYEON!!!

 

 

With Jihyo escaping away from the thunderous roar and out of the store, Nayeon kept her word and slowly lowered herself down.

As soon as she was within reach, Jeongyeon snatched her off from her flying broom, resulting the broom to crash straight onto the ground.

She made sure Nayeon’s feet landed on the ground properly before she abruptly shoved her backwards, slamming the witch’s back against the counter.

 

Im Nayeon winced in pain and shock- but mostly shock.

She felt nervous for once, since she couldn’t tell whether the barista was actually angry or not.

She was worried that she might’ve taken it a bit too far with the recordings and all that.

Just like what she was known to do, maybe she had crossed the line again.

 

But regretting it right now wouldn’t help a thing.

Nayeon prepared herself for whatever Jeongyeon had to throw at her-

Even if it was her lips.

 

 

… Yes, Jeongyeon’s lips.

It crashed straight into Nayeon’s.

 

Nayeon felt her body melting upon the most magical touch she had ever experienced despite being an actual witch who was capable of casting real magic.

Although she’d hate to admit it, Jeongyeon’s lips couldn’t be compared to any charm spells of hers.

It was far too addicting and strong.

So strong Nayeon found herself falling harder and harder for the human with each tilt of their heads, their lips desperately searching for one another.

 

Jeongyeon finally pulled away from the trapped female, gasping desperately for air.

Nayeon couldn’t believe what had just happened between them.

She has seen and been through a lot of crazy sh*t throughout her chaotic life, but for the first time in forever the witch was dumbstruck.

And it was all because of the feisty barista before her.

 

“You…” Jeongyeon spoke lowly.

Nayeon could only blink back at her, also trying to catch her breath from the heated mess.

For once she let herself get dominated by another.

 

“Don’t you ever dare leave me after messing with my heart all this time, buck teeth.”

 

 

The witch couldn’t help but to burst out into laughter despite the seriousness in Jeongyeon’s voice.

Her reaction made the barista’s face blush in both embarrassment and shyness.

“W-Why are you laughing?!”

“I thought you were going to say something cool or nice, but in the end you still called me buck teeth?” Nayeon snickered, “You’re such a great flirter.”

“If you were looking forward to being with a sweet-talker, then now is your chance to erase my memories and run away.” Jeongyeon sneered right back.

 

Instead of replying with words, it was Nayeon’s turn to take control over the human.

She pulled Jeongyeon by her tie before wrapping her arms around her neck.

The two girls’ faces were incredibly close to one another’s, yet Nayeon wasn’t going for a kiss.

 

“If you call me buck teeth one more time I will literally shove my broomstick up your .” she breathed seductively into Jeongyeon’s ear despite her words completely contradicting the tone of her voice.

Jeongyeon grinned as she cupped the witch’s cheeks, turning her head so that they were looking at each other face-to-face once again.

 

“I love you, buck teeth.”

 

 

And thus Jeongyeon ran for her life, with a magical broom chasing right after her.