The Alluring Females

Devil's Hour - 3 AM

The trio woke up feeling like death the next morning.

Dahyun’s friends were unfortunately too hungover to go over the weird occurrences that the home-owner had missed out on, and eventually the whole incident slipped past without the chance of getting brought back up.

 

With their short breaks over, the girls were forced back to living their usual lives.

Jeongyeon resumed back to being a barista at an unusual 24-hour café while her younger friends transformed back into two stressed-out, sleep-deprived university juniors.

 

As midterms were coming up for the students, Dahyun and Chaeyoung were barely keeping up with their workload.

This may be the reason to why Dahyun would usually crash before 12 AM; she would simply be too fatigue from school by the end of the day to stay up any longer.

Yet on a particular day she found herself forcing her to do just that.

 

With a composition project’s due date just around the corner- and by that it was actually due the next morning- Dahyun and Chaeyoung decided to cram together at the older student’s house last minute.

Neither of them had the chance to lay a finger on the project thanks to all their other schoolwork.

It was indeed the flaw to their school system.

 

“Alright, let’s finally do this.” Chaeyoung let out a loud yawn before sitting herself down onto the sofa.

Dahyun brought out her musical keyboard and plugging it into the electrical socket.

Their large iced coffees rested themselves on the coffee table, ready to assist them with pulling an all-nighter.

Chaeyoung took a big sip of her drink as Dahyun joined her side, wanting to go through the assignment sheet once more before they actually get going on their work.

 

The poor home-owner’s eyelids were already heavy, making her regret how they had taken such a long time to return back to her place.

It was super easy to fool around and get side-tracked when she was supposed to work with her best friend.

Buying the two coffees alone took them twenty minutes just because Chaeyoung wouldn’t stop messing around.

It was almost 3 in the morning already, yet they were just getting started.

 

“Thank God our teacher wants a sorrowful song.” the younger cried in relief after scanning through the guideline notes, “I can’t compose cheerful ones to save my life.”

“Why, you’re still going through an emo phase?” Dahyun sneered, “Cheer up, baby.”

“Shut up and focus- you’re the one who can’t write sad songs for sh*t, so you better get started before the sun starts rising.”

“… Touché.”

 

The duo sat in absolute silence as they focused on their music sheets.

Chaeyoung was the first to move her pencil, the sound of scribbles now echoed throughout the living room.

Dahyun indeed found herself struggling to get started, thus she sought out for inspiration by going on her phone.

They were both trying their best to not get distracted, yet someone wanted to start a new conversation.

 

“Is composing supposed to be hard?”

“For me, it honestly depends on my current mood and thoughts, since sometimes I can- wait.” Chaeyoung found herself answering before realising something important mid-sentence.

She found herself getting weirded out by the reply now-

 

Since that voice didn’t belong to Dahyun.

 

Son Chaeyoung frantically lifted her gaze up from her piece of paper to look at her friend.

She immediately flinched upon seeing someone unfamiliar sitting right beside Dahyun.

The girl was giving her a bright smile.

 

Following her friend’s eyes, Dahyun turned to her side and finally discovered what Chaeyoung was staring at.

instantly dropped open while her body trembled.

“S-Sana?!”

 

“Yay, you remember my name!” Sana cheered happily despite Dahyun running away to hide behind her friend’s back.

The pale student was still not fond nor used to having ghosts in her house.

 

“Yah Dahyun-unnie, who’s this?” Chaeyoung was now shifting her attention back and forth from one girl to another.

Her eyes widened after coming up with a conclusion, letting a tiny gasp slip out of .

“Don’t tell me you’ve been living with a secret girlfriend all this time!?”

 

“I-It’s not like that!” Dahyun quickly denied with blushing cheeks, causing Sana to giggle at her embarrassment.

“Unfortunately that wouldn’t work out well between us.” the ghost shook her head as she also defended themselves, “It’ll be sad for a mortal to be in love with an immortal. I wouldn’t want that to happen to anyone.”

“Huh? What do you mean ‘immortal’?”

 

“C-C-Chaeyoung, s-she’s…” Dahyun tried to warn her oblivious friend, yet her nerves were preventing her from speaking up properly.

Just by remembering the fact that Sana was a ghost made her legs go weak.

Dahyun was by far the biggest scaredy-cat out of the trio after all.

 

Sana took notice of her ‘housemate’s’ struggle, so being the friendly ghost she was she decided to help the fragile human out.

“I’m a ghost, Chaeyoungie. And so is she!”

 

“Who are yo- ARGHHH!” the poor girl let out a frantic shriek after following Sana’s pointing finger, making her realise that there was another female seated beside herself, currently peeking at their paperwork.

“Wow, composition really seems difficult.” Tzuyu commented before leaning away from the dazed student.

“Right? You two must be incredible!” Sana chimed in to praise.

 

“I-I told you C-C-Chaeyoung!” Dahyun whimpered while the girl stared at the taller ghost.

Chaeyoung’s attention then shifted onto the metal backscratcher that was placed beneath the coffee table.

She suddenly grabbed it in the speed of light, looked back at Tzuyu’s face,

 

And swung directly at her head.

 

Despite whatever she had expected, her weapon went straight though as if she had simply waved it in the air.

Chaeyoung’s face beamed brighter while the ghost before her sent her a death glare.

 

“The hell was that for? Rude.” Tzuyu scowled from the random attack.

“Sorry, I just wanted to confirm that you were an actual ghost.” the younger human smiled sheepishly as she shoved the metal stick back to its original spot.

“S-So you were willing to take the risk of killing someone?” Dahyun stammered in shock, “You would’ve killed her for real if she was actually alive, Chaeyoung-ah…”

“Well, thankfully I can’t die twice.” Tzuyu huffed in annoyance.

 

As Sana went to give her ghost friend a comforting head-pat, the sudden chime of the doorbell snatched all four of the girls’ attention.

Dahyun, being the owner of the house, was the most surprised.

She hadn’t been expecting for any visitors to show up- especially at 3 in the morning.

 

Still, she had to answer the door.

Chaeyoung stood up from her seat to get a better view of the front door, while the two ghosts were also watching on curiously.

As soon as Kim Dahyun swung the door open, she felt like passing out on the spot.

Out of every single person on Earth, the least expected one had showed up on the other side.

 

“M-M-M-M-Momo-sshi?!”

 

Hirai Momo, aka their university’s most popular female student alongside with another called Myoui Mina, stood before Dahyun with a big smile on her face.

The Japanese girls had the whole deal; they were smart, athletic, and stunningly gorgeous.

It was due to such facts that Dahyun could never muster up enough courage to interact with them despite having a mutual class together- coincidentally, the class which she was missing sleep for.

Dahyun and Chaeyoung, like most of the admirers, had always ogled at the beauties from afar due to their shyness and intimidation, yet out of nowhere Dahyun now found herself gawking up front.

 

The real deal was right in front of her face.

At her house.

At 3 AM.

 

Still staring from afar, Chaeyoung let out a gasp upon seeing the visitor’s face.

Sana also let out a gasp, but the tone in her voice was different.

She instantly vanished after witnessing the sudden guest, while Tzuyu’s body stiffened.

The tall ghost slowly stood herself in front of Chaeyoung, who wasn’t pleased with her view getting blocked.

Before the short human could complain, Tzuyu stretched out her arms protectively to the side, replacing Chaeyoung’s annoyance with confusion.

 

“What are you doing?”

“Chaeyoung, right?”

“Yeah? That’s me.”

“Whatever you do, don’t associate yourself with that one.”

“… By ‘that one’, you mean Hirai Momo-sshi?”

“I don’t care what her name is, just don’t meddle yourself into her business.”

“But why though?”

 

Tzuyu finally turned her face around to look into Chaeyoung’s eyes, who was incredibly puzzled by the young ghost’s sudden behaviour.

She wasn’t prepared for what she had to say though.

 

“Because she’s a demon, Chaeyoung.”

 

 

“W-What are you doing here?” Dahyun blinked rapidly as she faced her crush, unable to believe that this was actually happening.

Such a scenario had only occurred within her dreams, but she never once that thought it could turn into reality.

But there Momo was.

 

“I happened to overhear your conversation in class about how you were struggling with our assignment, so I wanted to give you some notes.” the alluring idol explained before rummaging through her bag to retrieve the said-notes.

Dahyun couldn’t help but become star-struck. “How did you find my place, and why are you out at this time of the day…?”

“Connections. I just happened to be clubbing with my friends earlier on nearby, so I decided to drop by.” Momo grinned, “Thankfully you’re awake like I had predicted.”

“Oh I- um, thank you. For this.” the flustered female blabbered idiotically as she accepted the kind female’s help. “I think you just saved me and Chaeyoung’s . We were planning out our funeral already because we were so stuck.” she tried to joke in order to divert her crush’s attention away from her awkwardness.

 

It was only then Momo had realised Dahyun had someone in her house.

Dahyun caught sight of Momo’s smile weakening slightly after noticing her friend indoors.

Chaeyoung made eye-contact with the school goddess for a brief second before the girl’s gaze returned back to Dahyun’s face.

 

“Of course we have to help each other out. We need to survive together, right?”

“I-I’m just, your kindness- How should I ever repay you for your help?”

 

Momo’s faint smile turned into a bright grin from her words.

“Hmm… I’ll think about it. Good luck on the project though! I hope you’ll be able to get some sleep.”

“T-Thank you so much, again.”

 

And just like that, Hirai Momo waved herself goodbye and walked away into the distance.

As soon as Dahyun closed her front door properly, she let out the fangirl-like scream she had repressed within herself ever since she saw Momo’s face.

She still couldn’t believe she held a conversation with her- and roughly 1500 students’- mutual crush.

She felt like she had won the lottery.

 

“Chaeyoung- did you see that?! The Hirai Momo suddenly popped up at my front door!”

“Y-Yeah, good for you Dahyun-unnie.”

Dahyun instantly realised Chaeyoung’s weird behaviour, who would usually squeal in excitement whenever Momo or Mina’s name was mentioned.

“What’s wrong?”

“Is she gone, Chewy?” Sana also reappeared into the living room, clinging onto Tzuyu’s shirt timidly. “Is the scary demon gone?”

 

D-Demon?!” Dahyun scoffed in shock, “Hirai Momo is more of an angel than a demon!”

“Well, apparently your angel is a devil instead. That’s what your tall ghost told me.” Chaeyoung replied while looking at the girl who shielded her from the potential threat, unable to decide whether she should be thankful or not.

“I said she’s a demon, not a devil. They’re different.”

“She’s actually a demi-demon.” Sana corrected, “But still, she’s not someone who you’d want to get yourself involved with, Dahyunnie.

 

“H-How could you be so sure?” Dahyun frowned in disbelief, “And why should I trust you? Maybe you’re pulling a prank on me again.”

“See? I told you your first impression .” Tzuyu sneered but instantly gained herself a nudge on the sides.

“We’re ghosts, okay?! We can see stuff that you humans can’t!” Sana puffed out her cheeks in frustration. “Although I love teasing you because you’re so cute, I’d still protect you when you’re in danger.”

 

“So you want us to trust ghosts over our own classmate?” Chaeyoung chose to argue back, “You know how crazy that sounds, right?”

“If you two idiots want to get eaten alive by a demon then go ahead.” Tzuyu then growled, stepping up to Chaeyoung whom she tried to protect. “You don’t deserve our kindness. Stupid mortals.”

“Chewy! Don’t pick fights!” Sana quickly pulled her ghost friend back, hugging her by the arm, “Come on, let’s leave them be. They still have their projects to work on, hmm? Let’s go.”

 

And thus, the ghosts vanished together.

The two humans could only stand there in silence, trying their best to process everything that had just occurred within ten minutes.

While Dahyun’s mouth remained agape in shock, Chaeyoung was the one to speak up first.

 

“You’re house is actually haunted, unnie.” she exclaimed slowly, “That’s like, the best.”

“No it’s not!” Dahyun shrieked right back, “You’re only capable of being this happy because it’s not your goddamn house!”

“You know I’d move in with you in a heartbeat if you had the extra room for me.”

“Then contact your parents and say we’re switching. You can gladly live here while I stay in your dorm.”

“Pfft- so you’re willing to pay the ‘unreasonably high-priced’ dormitory fees now? That was how you described it when I chose to live there.” Chaeyoung snickered, “Besides, your ghosts seem super nice! The tall one was shielding me when Momo-sshi showed up… ah, I should’ve have triggered her to leave. Stupid me.”

Dahyun gulped as she recalled their conversation. “D-Do you think it’s true?”

“What is?”

“That Hirai Momo is actually a demon…”

“Oh.”

 

Silence engulfed the room once more as they thought about their weird situation.

Chaeyoung eventually took another sip of her iced coffee.

 

“You know what, we should pause this topic for now and get back to our actual work. Those notes are supposed to help us, right?”

“Oh yeah, true.” Dahyun snapped herself out of it and flipped through the pieces of paper.

Her heart skipped a beat when she arrived at the final page.

 

“… She gave me her number...”

“… Holy sh*t.”

 

 


 

 

Meanwhile, within a café that was only filled with the sound of K-pop music blasting through the speakers and had zero customers, stood Yoo Jeongyeon in her barista attire.

After an abrupt schedule change with a fellow co-worker who was no longer available for night shifts, Jeongyeon found herself still working at 3 AM.

“Why should a café be open for 24 hours? Who the heck wants to drink coffee after midnight?!” Jeongyeon scoffed to herself. “This has to be the worst idea ever.”

 

Just like what she had complained about, the store hasn’t had a single customer after 11 PM.

She was also the only employee left working within the shop, since there wasn’t any need for more helping hands.

Jeongyeon already had nothing to do.

 

She was tempted to whip out her phone to contact her two friends out of boredom, yet she remembered them saying how they were working on a project last minute.

Giving up on the thought, the female chose to doodle randomly on the menu blackboard.

 

To her surprise, not long after she started drawing, the wind chime that was hung on their front door made a noise.

She hastily erased any evidence of her doodling a on their blackboard before spinning herself around.

There was finally a customer after being completely alone for 4 hours.

 

She wasn’t expecting to end up in a K-drama-like scenario though.

 

There stood on the other side of the till, was an extraordinarily beautiful female.

Jeongyeon’s jaw had subconsciously dropped down before she even realised it.

The girl seemed unreal.

 

“H-Hello, what would you like?” she finally remembered her duties and asked.

The customer never once glanced at the menu.

Instead, she had her full attention on the flustered barista.

 

“Are you Kim Dahyun’s acquaintance?”

 

Taken aback from the sudden question, Jeongyeon found herself stuttering even more.

“Y-Y-Yes…?”

“My name is Myoui Mina.” the girl extended her hand out for a friendly shake.

Jeongyeon took it hesitantly, and the brief contact made her cheeks blush.

“I’m looking for a friend of mine who had mentioned about giving Kim Dahyun a visit. I’ve been trying to contact my friend for a while now but she wouldn’t pick up her phone. I was wondering if you could give me your friends address.”

 

Jeongyeon could respond to the pretty customer’s request immediately.

It wasn’t the safest move to tell a stranger where her friend had lived.

She had no solid evidence that she was telling the truth… yet she had the weird urge to help her.

The mysterious female was simply worried about her own friend, right?

 

“Well um… Dahyun’s house is-”

“Hey babe.”

 

Jeongyeon instantly jumped from the voice that travelled out of nowhere.

The wind chime on the entrance didn’t make a single noise, yet someone was already standing behind Mina-

The owner of the voice, to be exact.

 

“… Im Nayeon?”

“So you do remember me. That’s sweet.” the second customer made herself past Mina’s side.

As soon as Nayeon turned around to face her up front, the shine in her eyes disappeared.

 

“You’re not messing with this one. She’s mine.”

 

The poor barista’s eyes travelled back and forth in between the two, watching on with great confusion.

Were they both not going to order anything?

Then why did they show up in the café??

And why were they fighting- apparently for Jeongyeon???

 

Myoui Mina stared back at the witch’s face for a few seconds before taking a step back.

“Excuse me, then.” she bowed politely and actually left the store, disappearing into the distance.

Nayeon kept her eyes on the girl until she was completely out of sight.

She then released a shaky sigh.

“Damn, that was close.”

“What was?”

 

Nayeon turned her face back around to smile at Jeongyeon. “You don’t realise how dangerous it is for a delicious-looking girl like you to be hanging around outside during this time of the day.” she said as she leaned onto the counter.

“Well, it’s not like I have a choice.” Jeongyeon huffed, “My shift doesn’t end until 4:30 AM.”

“Do you always work during this time?”

“From now on, yeah.”

“You need to be extra careful then. You almost lost your life.”

“The heck do you mean?”

 

Nayeon snickered from the confusion expressed on Jeongyeon’s face, making her pinch the barista’s cheek playfully.

“Humans are so oblivious that it makes you guys an easy prey… but it also makes you adorable.”

 

Jeongyeon blushed from the girl’s flirtatious words but slapped her hand away from her face. “I still have no idea what you’re talking about, like, was she a dangerous person or something?”

“Dangerous, but not a person.”

“Are you high?”

 

Nayeon laughed loudly before pulling Jeongyeon by her tie, decreasing the distance in between their faces.

 

“You just got your saved by a witch from a demon, you idiot.”