Two Anxious Girls

Devil's Hour - 3 AM

Gaining enough reassurance after Jihyo had stayed by her side all the way until the poor home-owner had to start off her morning with a scream from seeing them in her living room, Sana decided that it was time.

 

No matter how much her legs were trembling from nervousness, she had made up her mind to confront her best friend.

To hunt down the hiding Tzuyu.

To finally talk again.

 

 

Sana took a big breath.

Threw back her head.

 

And released.

 

 

 

CHEWYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

 

 

 

“WHAT THE F- UNNIE WHAT’S WRONG?!” Tzuyu instantly appeared out of her whereabouts, frantically looking for the owner of the scream.

She speedily made her way to Sana’s side while looking around the house, being extremely alert about their surroundings despite nothing could ever cause them any harm since they were already ghosts-

Unless the danger was a magic-wielder like Im Nayeon, who could make them pass on involuntarily.

Thankfully she couldn’t spot any evil witches lurking around Dahyun’s house.

 

Unfortunately, it had become her automatic reaction to panic and to dash for Sana after experiencing their tragic deaths.

Anything loud noises, or whenever Sana screams in a negative manner would trigger Tzuyu to spring into action, not wanting to repeat the past-

Well, it’s not like they’d get murdered again, but she wanted to make up for what she could’ve done if she had been conscious during the burglar attack.

 

By being there for her friend first.

To protect her instead of being protected.

 

 

“Hello Chewy.” Sana was now beaming happily at the younger ghost, who instantly let out an exhausted sigh upon realising that there was nothing wrong.

“What was that for…” Tzuyu huffed while patting her chest, calming her thumping heart down. “You sounded as if you saw a ghost.”

 

They both paused for three seconds before bursting out into laughter.

Saying such a phrase while being ghosts themselves really tickled their funny bone- although their bones should’ve decomposed a long time ago.

Nonexistent funny bone it is.

 

“Sorry, I just wanted to talk to you.” Sana said after finally calming herself down from the laughing fit. “You’ve been hiding away from me for so long that I’ve missed you!”

“Oh um- sorry, about that.” Tzuyu scratched her head sheepishly. “I was busy in thought…”

 

The two were now engulfed by an awkward silence, with both of them not knowing what to say next.

They secretly had the same thought on the back of their minds, yet neither had the courage to speak up first-

 

That is, until Sana did it.

 

“Hey, I was wondering if Dahyunnie had talked to you recently.”

“She did.” Tzuyu answered without looking at her eyes, “She told me how she had finally got together with the demi-demon.”

“Wait- what?!” Sana now squealed in delight, her eyes sparkling from the news. “When?!”

“A couple of days ago I think.” the younger ghost replied with a smile also.

They were both extremely happy for the home-owner whom they’ve felt attached to ever since they started interacting with one another.

 

Dahyun was their favourite housemate by far.

The only one who didn’t move away after finding out about their existence.

The only one who welcomed them with open arms-

After screaming a lot and slowly getting used to their presence, that is.

 

“Who’d knew a scaredy-cat like her would fall for a demon?” Tzuyu snickered to herself.

“Wait, so would their child be considered a demi-demi-demon?” Sana tilted her head.

“Um… I have no clue. That sounds pretty awful though.”

“Really? I think it sounds pretty cool!”

“Whatever makes you happy, mate.”

 

Sana stared into Tzuyu’s eyes, who was still looking everywhere but at her.

“Chewy…”

“Yes, unnie?”

 

“When do you think you’ll be ready to move on from this world?”

 

The question immediately caught the younger ghost’s attention, forcing her to finally make eye-contact with her friend.

It had been a topic which they both knew they must confront someday, but neither of them wanted to think about it.

 

To finally move on from their previous lives.

To start anew as something completely different.

They could be reincarnated into a Shiba Inu or some weird green alien in space for all they’d know.

 

But the uncertainty of their future wasn’t what held them back.

 

It was the separation of their bond.

To say goodbye for good.

 

“I- I don’t know.” Tzuyu choked out, trying her best not to breakdown in front of her friend slash crush.

“Haven’t you given it some thoughts?” Sana asked curiously.

“No, not yet.” the tall ghost lied straight out of her teeth as if she didn’t sob like a baby in front of Myoui Mina while talking about just that.

 

Like Sana who wouldn’t want people to see her upset, Tzuyu had something she tends to hide away.

She wouldn’t want people to see her cry-

But that applied mostly to a single person.

To Sana, of course.

 

Tzuyu had always been viewed as an independent and strong person due to moving to a foreign country all by herself ever since she was a young teenager, and she liked it that way.

When people complimented her on her mature behaviour and boldness, she felt like she was capable of protecting both herself and Sana.

She wanted to be strong for the girl, which was the reason why Sana had never witnessed her tears before.

Not even once did Tzuyu let herself cry before the older girl, for five whole years of living together under the same roof.

Even when she did cry, she’d make sure she was either alone or it had happened in front of anyone other than her friend, just like at their gathering with all nine girls or during Mina’s sudden visit.

 

 

Sana could tell how emotional Tzuyu had become after bringing the topic up.

She knew how hard it was to simply think about it, let alone openly discuss about it with one another.

But with Jihyo’s words in mind, she knew they had to face it up front.

 

They had no other choice anyways.

They would be forced to confront it sooner or later.

 

It was just how life was.

They must move on.

 

 

“I’ve actually given it a thought, Chewy.” Sana spoke up after another round of silence within the house. “I think I’m capable of leaving soon.”

Tzuyu’s eyes automatically widened in shock from hearing her friend’s words.

“… Y-You are?”

“Mhm. I’m waiting for one last thing though. After that, I think I’ll have to go.” Sana forced out a smile for the younger female, wanting to remain bright and strong for her too.

 

Tzuyu was struggling to speak now.

She was scared that as soon as she moved a single muscle within her body, her tears were going to spill out of her eyes like the Niagara Falls.

She was still determined to act strong before her loving friend.

All the way until the very end.

 

“So you should think about it too, Chewy! Maybe we can leave together, just like how we left the world as humans!” Sana managed to grin widely upon that thought. “Neither of us would get left behind, right? Wouldn’t that be the best?”

“Y-Yeah. We totally should somehow do that.” Tzuyu gulped down a sob and flash a smile back. “But wouldn’t you like to say goodbye to all those weirdos we’ve met recently? I think they’ve made us happier than we’ve ever been since our death.”

“Oh- that’s true! I would love to see them all again.” Sana clapped delightfully. “We should ask Dahyunnie to invite them over so we could say our goodbyes at once. There’s quite a lot of people now that I think about it.”

 

“Who knew we’d become friends with not only three humans, but four other supernatural beings?” Tzuyu now snickered. “Remember back in the days where we simply wanted to make one human friend?”

“And how we never got one because you’d scare them away with your murderous glares?” Sana teased as she poked Tzuyu’s arm, making her pout.

“I can’t help it. I have a resting b*tch face.”

“Don’t worry, at least I know how adorable and soft you actually are.” Sana cooed before pulling Tzuyu into a hug, making the younger female blush uncontrollably.

 

It was exactly because of such interactions that made her fell for her older friend.

Her unconditional love and care.

The warmth she creates within her cold body.

It increased the thought of how she was ready to take the final leap.

 

 


 

 

With a plan in mind, the two found a reasonable day to hunt their adorable housemate down.

They waited until Dahyun was back home from school to confront her.

 

“Y-You guys want to throw another gathering with everyone?” Dahyun widened her eyes as a response to the sudden and quite random request.

Of course, she couldn’t say no when two ghosts were looking at her with puppy-eyes.

Especially Sana’s- it was way too powerful to resist.

Tzuyu deserved a ‘you’ve tried’ award and was still cute nevertheless.

 

“I mean, of course I can invite Jeongyeon-unnie and Chaeyoung over, but I’m not sure how I’m supposed to summon the other supernatural beings for you.”

“Pfft, please. You dating one of them.” Tzuyu raised her eyebrow with a smirk. “I’m pretty sure she’d sprint to you in lightning speed if you told her to come to your house.”

“O-Oh, that’s true. I forgot about that for a second.” Dahyun replied with an embarrassed grin. “I’ll ask Momo-unnie to bring Mina-unnie with her then.”

 

“And I can summon Jihyo whenever!” Sana chimed in, confusing the two girls beside her.

“What do you mean you can summon the less-of-a-crack-head witch?” Tzuyu was the one to ask, while Dahyun nodded along to her question.

Sana gave them a big, mischievous grin.

“Watch this!” she hummed as she touched the symbol on her skin.

 

And just like that, within twenty seconds, Jihyo appeared within the living room.

Dahyun shrieked out loud from the sudden appearance as usual.

The poor human would never get used to their teleportation ability.

Tzuyu kindly patted her back as a gesture of comfort, although her hand went straight into her back each time and Dahyun felt nothing.

 

“What’s wrong Sa- oh hey guys.” Jihyo’s worried expression was instantly replaced with a surprised one, not knowing why the ghost had summoned her when there were already two girls by her side.

Sana was clapping her hands like an entertained child while Dahyun simply smiled at her after calming down.

 

“Oh wow. You really can summon Jihyo.” Tzuyu marvelled while Jihyo frowned at the other ghost.

“Yah, Sana! I gave you that for emergency purposes, not to summon me as a party trick!” the witch scolded as she pinched the ghost’s cheeks, making her squirm on the spot.

Tzuyu wanted to step in to help her friend, but at the same time she wanted to watch on because it was amusing, plus Sana looked really cute getting punished like that.

 

“By the way Jihyo-sshi, are you free later on during the devil’s hour?” Dahyun decided to speak up while the witch was there, redirecting the girl’s attention.

“Um, I guess?” Jihyo replied while releasing her grip from Sana’s face. “Why?”

“These two suddenly asked if I could invite everyone over again. It seems like they’ve missed you guys and the craziness you bring.” Dahyun giggled. “I’m planning to contact the rest about the matter in a few minutes, too.”

“Huh, is that so?” the witch glanced at the ghosts who both smiled back at her. “I mean, I guess I don’t have anything important to do. It’s going to be the weekend anyways.”

“So are you in? I need to estimate how much drinks I need to prepare for you three alcoholics.” Dahyun dared to joke, triggering Tzuyu to snicker along at the side.

Sana was still too busy rubbing her red cheeks to pay attention.

 

“Oh? I see you’ve learnt a trick or two from your friends, huh Dahyun-sshi.” Jihyo sneered back. “But yes, count me in.”

“Can you bring the crack-head witch with you?” Tzuyu asked, “She’s entertaining to watch.”

“Entertaining, yes, but gosh she’s such a pain in the to work with.” Jihyo rolled her eyes just from the thought of her uncontrollable friend. “I’ll try, but no promises. Recently she has been disappearing to places without saying a word. I don’t know if I could capture her in time.”

“Well, please do try your best, Jihyo-ah. We really want to see everyone.” Sana took a step closer and beamed brightly at the witch.

 

Jihyo looked into her sparkling eyes for a few seconds before she caught on.

The witch figured out the true meaning behind her smile.

She gave her a nod.

 

“Alright then. I’ll see you girls in a few hours.” Jihyo addressed as she gave Sana a pat on the head. “Prepare a rope for me. I’ll need to tie Nayeon-unnie down to beat her when we get here.”

“S-Sure thing.” Dahyun replied before the witch teleported herself away.

 

 

Dahyun proceeded to sit herself down within her living room while the ghosts followed suit, sandwiching her on the sofa.

She took out her phone from her pockets and went through her contact list.

The ghosts watched on with curiosity.

 

“Are you going to ask your human friends now?” Sana asked, gaining a nod back.

“And don’t forget your demi-demon girlfriend.” Tzuyu added, also gaining a nod.

 

They then sat in silence as Dahyun waited for her call to get picked up.

Luckily, she didn’t have to wait for long.

 

Yes, tofu?

“Chaeng, are you free at 3 AM tonight?”

“It’s tomorrow morning.” Sana corrected, making Tzuyu snicker at Dahyun’s cute mistake.

Dahyun pouted back at the two before refocusing on her phone call. “So?”

 

Yeah, I’m free. Another party with your ghouls?

“You know it.” Dahyun grinned at their teamwork. “Care to help me bring over some snacks again?”

Alright. What about drinks?

“I’ll ask Jeongyeon to get some, it’s okay. I don’t want your skinny arms to break off before you reach my house.”

Pfft, I ain’t a weak b*tch. I did it the last time and I can do it again. Watch me.

“Yeah, I’ll watch your arms fall off.”

Geez, who taught you to be this savage?

“You, probably.”

Ha- true.

 

Dahyun glanced at the clock on her wall. “Anyways, I need to contact Jeongyeon-unnie about it too. I’ll see you then.”

Alright fam, sounds good.

“Bye Chaeyoungie!” Sana hummed, making the girl on the other side of the call chuckle out loud.

Bye Sana-chan! And Tzuyu, if you’re there!

Tzuyu found herself grinning widely as the call ended.

 

With one down, Dahyun proceeded on to the next friend immediately.

It took Jeongyeon 30 seconds before she picked up.

 

Hell-

DAHYUN CUTIE!

 

Dahyun flinched upon hearing another voice calling out her name.

The voice was extremely loud and clear despite coming from the background, and for some reasons it sounded awfully familiar.

“J-Jeongyeon-unnie?”

 

Sorry about that- what’s up?

“Nothing much for now, but I’ll be busy later I suppose. You?”

Just started a night shift at the café. Still empty as usual.

“Oh, you’re working? Will you be free at 3 AM though?”

At three? Yeah I’ll be off by then. My shifts are the shortest on Fridays- thank God.

 

“Ah, that’s good, because I called to invite you over. The ghosts want another party.” Dahyun revealed.

Wow, a round two already? I can still remember the nasty hangover from that night.

“Then stop drinking, .” Tzuyu commented, making Sana slap her on the arm lightly.

 

There was a rustling sound coming from the other side.

Dahyun waited patiently for a reply.

She wasn’t expecting to flinch from someone’s loud voice though, but that’s exactly what happened.

That familiar and undeniably loud voice called out once more.

 

I hear that someone wanted to move on and get reincarnated into a garbage bin, huh?!

Yah- give me back my phone!

 

“Jeongyeon-unnie, who are you with?” Dahyun raised an eyebrow as she heard more rustling noises.

Of course she’s with the one and only, super gorgeous Im Naye-

GIVE IT BACK, BUCK TEETH!

RUDE!

 

Dahyun blinked in confusion from realising that her friend was with the crack-head witch, as Tzuyu would call her.

Sana giggled from hearing the battle happening on the other side of the call.

The younger ghost could only shake her head in disbelief.

 

“W-Well unnie, can you bring some drinks over? Chaeyoung’s bringing the snacks.”

It took a couple of seconds until her friend replied.

 

Oh? Yeah, sure. Three in the morning, right?

“Yes- oh and if you’re really with Nayeon please bring her along too.”

 Do I really have to?

“Yes please, the ghosts would like to meet everyone, and that includes the witch.”

… God damn it, fine. You owe me a meal, and lots of brain cells.

Yah- can you stop treating me if I’m some sort of huge- burden?!

BECAUSE YOU ARE!

 

“G-Good luck and see you later, unnie.” Dahyun said before hanging up the second call.

She didn’t want her ears to rot from hearing the two big-mouthed females bicker for another second.

 

Her fingers then tapped onto the final contact she needed to call before she’s finished with her duty.

The girl picked up within three seconds, making the ghosts snicker from her lightening speed.

They wouldn’t let a single chance of teasing Dahyun go.

Dahyun caught herself blushing, but she chose to ignore both her burning cheeks and the two cheeky ghosts.

 

“H-Hello, Momo-unnie?”

Dahyunnie!” the voice called out lovingly. “What’s up? You’ve never called before.

“Wow, .” Tzuyu added another jab, making Sana slap her as a punishment.

Dahyun shot a glare at her before returning back to the call.

 

“Sorry, I just wanted to ask whether you’re free to come over at three later on.”

There was a slight pause afterwards.

Dahyun waited quietly for a reply.

 

… So soon?

“… H-Huh?”

 

We’re going to do it so soon into the relationship?

 

 

Dahyun’s face was now bright red.

She felt like her flesh was about to melt away from the extreme heat she was feeling.

She didn’t need to look at the ghosts beside her to know what expressions they had on their faces.

The flustered human decided to move on before the ghosts could make a single comment.

 

“I-I-It’s not like that! My ghosts would like to have another gathering with everyone- that’s all!” she spluttered, trying to control the volume of her voice.

She could hear Sana giggling at the side, making her face blush even harder.

Momo could also be heard laughing that the other side of the phone call.

 

I was just kidding, Dahyun-ah. You don’t have to panic so much.

“A-Ah…”

We can always take our time. I’ll wait until you’re fully prepared.

“U-UNNIE!” Dahyun whined, desperately wanting to move on from that topic. “Please, just tell me if you’re free to come later!”

Yeah, I’ll come.

“That’s what she said.” Tzuyu added, triggering Dahyun to slap her arm, but of course her hand went straight though her body.

Sana kindly slapped her friend’s arm for her.

 

“C-Can you also ask Mina-unnie to join us?”

Yeah, of course. She’s actually sitting beside me right now, hold on- Minari! Dahyun wants us to gather at her place at- eh? You already knew? How come?

Dahyun couldn’t decipher Mina’s quiet mumbles in the background, but Momo seemed to be teasing her own best friend.

 

Yeah, she’ll be there, don’t worry. Chaeyoung beat me to it.

“Huh? What do you mean?”

Oh? She hasn’t told you yet?

“T-Told me what?!”

I guess she has some explanations to do later on then. Anyways, see you soon, Dahyunnie!

“W-Wait! Momo-unnie!”

 

And just like that, the teasing demi-demon hung up on her, leaving her with mixed emotions.

All the home-owner knew was that chaos was coming her way.