The Demon's Jealousy

Devil's Hour - 3 AM

Dahyun realised she had been so focused on assisting the ghosts within her household that she hadn’t dealt with her own issues.

Ever since the nine of them gathered at her house, she somehow made zero progress with her own crush.

 

Chaeyoung seemed to have mustered up enough courage to hold short conversations with Mina by now, yet Dahyun had never talked to Momo in school despite how well they got along in her living room.

Don’t get her wrong- she has tried many, many times.

It was just that she’d end up either running away within five seconds of approaching the beauty, or that she’d actually get her attention-

Just to stand before her with dangling open like an idiot.

 

She eventually gave up trying since she had also realised how Momo hadn’t been approaching her voluntarily either.

Dahyun started to worry how Momo might’ve lost interest in her, which made her want to do something about it even more, but also lead her straight back into an endless loop of defeat.

So far, so bad.

 

Dahyun assumed that it had only been so easy back at their supernatural party because of the alcohol and the other females around them.

Now that she was left alone to make a move herself, she has returned back to her usual state.

Easily flustered and cowardly.

 

“Dahyun-sshi?”

“Y-YES?!”

 

Dahyun immediately proved the previous points by screaming out loud, all because someone called out her own name.

She was in the middle of zoning out while slowly chewed on her sandwich, thus the soft voice had snapped her out of it- a little too abruptly.

 

Without any hesitation, Chaeyoung snorted out in laughter at her friend while the people around their table watched on with curiosity.

Dahyun’s shriek had accidentally caught the crowd’s attention, but that wasn’t the only reason for the stares.

It wasn’t common for the two school goddesses to be seen within the school during lunch time, let alone joining two petite juniors at their table in the cafeteria.

 

With the two humans sitting across from each other, Mina automatically sat herself next to Dahyun while Momo was left with no choice but to sit besides Chaeyoung, the demons also facing one another.

The humans quickly shoved all their belongings to their side to make room for them both.

Dahyun didn’t care how her panicking self caused her to shove her phone right off the table as if it was bread crumbs.

Chaeyoung kindly picked it up for her anyways.

 

“Oh h-hi.” Dahyun blinked at the somewhat familiar-looking faces. “What’s up?”

“Nothing much, and you?” Mina smiled warmly at the pale student.

After all they’ve been through, especially after working together to take care of their own best friends during the chaotic gathering, Mina felt a lot more comfortable around Dahyun compared to the rest of the girls-

Oh, and Jeongyeon.

She was closer to the crack-head barista too.

 

Dahyun felt the same; she felt like she could actually call the shy demon her friend-

Even though her cheeks still blushed automatically as a response to their sudden appearance, but that may also have to do with the fact her crush had also tagged along.

 

The shy human didn’t dare to look towards Momo’s direction even though she could feel the demi-demon’s eyes on her.

Her gaze was now stuck onto her half-finished sandwich on the table.

 

“Just filling ourselves up with food, as you can see.” Dahyun replied awkwardly while Chaeyoung finally calmed herself down.

She was trying her best to remain chill in front of the two beauties, but the mass amount of attention they were getting wasn’t helping at all.

She felt a little bad for the duo now that she could experience what it’s like in their shoes.

To always have people’s gazes on you no matter what you’re doing.

It was incredibly uncomfortable for the pale student, but she soon found out that she was the only one who was bothered.

 

Chaeyoung was too busy admiring her goddess’s beauty to give a single damn about her surroundings, while the school idols were pretty much used to it all by now.

Dahyun realised she had too much s to give.

She would like to learn from her best friend.

 

“Did you guys eat yet?” Chaeyoung spoke up after noticing how her friend was panicking, not wanting the atmosphere to get awkward from the lack of conversation.

The two Japanese females simply shook their heads, making the youngest girl gasp in shock.

“Go get something to eat then! You’ll need to fuel up to survive the afternoon classes.”

“I don’t usually eat anything for lunch, and Momorin forgot her wallet in her room this morning. I unfortunately don’t carry money with me during school hours.” Mina answered while her best friend pouted.

Momo was obviously exhausted and hungry.

 

“We can get you guys something.” Chaeyoung looked at Dahyun who nodded hastily to her words. “Can’t have you starve when we have the ability to get you food, can I?”

Momo’s eyes sparkled from Chaeyoung’s kindness, automatically snuggling herself onto the girl’s body as her expression for her gratitude.

Chaeyoung didn’t know what to do and simply sat there, letting the demon do her thing while looking at Dahyun sheepishly.

Dahyun shrugged before shifting her attention to the other demon.

 

“I can’t believe you don’t need to eat to get through the whole day. I spend so much energy in class just from trying to stay awake and holding back my breakdowns that I must eat something or else I’d faint.” she chuckled shyly from her own confession, also making Mina smile.

“I only have our composition class in the morning, that’s why I tend to have more energy at this time of the day compared to you.”

“Really? That must be so nice. Do you sleep in?”

“No, I still wake up early to go a morning jog, right before the sun rises. Then I’d either do some reviews or I’d get some chores done.”

“Oh wow, you’re simply too amazing.” Dahyun marvelled in awe. “You’re like the ideal daughter for my mum, but unfortunately she got a child who can barely dig herself out of bed without wanting to cry, let alone go for morning runs.”

“I’m pretty sure you’re still the perfect daughter for her.” Mina giggled from Dahyun’s words.

 

Chaeyoung, who had been secretly listening to their conversation at the side, couldn’t help but feel slightly jealous of their interactions.

“Let’s go, Dahyun-unnie. I already asked Momo-unnie about what she’d like to eat.”

“Ah, then would you like a drink instead, Mina-sshi? My treat.” Dahyun quickly asked the demon after her friend spoke up.

Mina took a second to think about it and eventually flash out a gummy smile back.

 

“Milk tea would be lovely, thank you.”

“Iced or warm?”

“Warm, please.”

“Alrighty, one cup of warm milk tea, coming right up.” Dahyun joked before leaving the table with her friend.

 

 

 

As soon as they were far away from their table, Chaeyoung threw an arm around Dahyun’s neck, pulling her closer towards her face.

“Yah- when did you become this close with my goddess?” Chaeyoung asked lowly, just in case they could still hear them despite the low possibility.

It was incredibly noisy within the cafeteria, especially so now that people were chattering about the two beauties and the random juniors that they had somehow chose to associate themselves with.

 

Dahyun waited for Chaeyoung to order Momo’s food before answering.

She could sense her friend’s envy through the tone of her voice.

“I wouldn’t consider ourselves to be ‘close’, but I guess we got more comfortable with one another during their visit to see the ghosts?”

“Gosh- that night. I’ve never had a worse hangover. How wasted was I?”

“Enough for you to ask Mina-sshi for a kiss and get kindly rejected because of it.”

 

“Wait WHA-” Chaeyoung’s shriek was cut off by Dahyun’s palm, who really didn’t want to gain any more unnecessary attention from others.

“Chill, she was merely respecting you since you were totally wasted, okay? Be quiet.” Dahyun hissed back, making sure Chaeyoung was calm enough to cooperate before letting go.

“Well, you’re not planning on stealing my crush, are you?” Chaeyoung semi-teased, “Be careful or else I’ll steal Momo-unnie from you as revenge. She seemed to like me now that I’m feeding her empty stomach.”

“I’m not, so don’t you dare.” Dahyun jabbed her friend playfully on her sides.

 

They proceeded to have a tickle-battle until the lunch-lady called out Chaeyoung’s order, making her forfeit to retrieve the food.

The duo then went to the drink stall for Mina’s warm milk tea.

 

“Are you planning to confess soon?” Dahyun suddenly asked while they waited in line.

She knew that they both had this question in the back of their minds.

They just didn’t want to think about it.

It was obviously the most terrifying part of the whole love-chasing process.

 

“Um… maybe? I don’t know, I’m still a little scared.” Chaeyoung answered truthfully with a sigh, “How about you? You already know she likes you back, so what are you even waiting for?”

“I’m just… too shy to approach her still.” Dahyun blushed, “She’s so stunning that my brain automatically stops working whenever she’s around.”

“Gosh- just end everyone else’s misery already! There’s 1500 people out there dreaming about being in your shoes, yet you’re hesitating like a little ?”

“Yah- it’s not easy to confess, okay?! You just said it yourself, how you’re scared and all!”

“But that’s because I don’t know if my feelings would get accepted or not, you idiot. Momo lik-”

 

Dahyun’s hand ended up on Chaeyoung’s lips again, glaring at her with her mono-lidded eyes.

The younger girl gave her a few desperate nods before was set free once more.

 

“If you’re too timid to confess in person, why not write a letter or something?” Chaeyoung suddenly suggested, “Maybe they’ll appreciate a good ol’ love letter in a shoe box confession. It might remind them of their home country since it’s such an anime thing to do.”

“One- that’s super cringy, and two- we don’t have any freaking shoe boxes in our school, .” Dahyun scoffed.

But there was another reason to why the pale female was so against the idea.

After accomplishing Sana’s favour, anything letter-related would now remind Dahyun about their tragic story.

She’d probably destroy her love letter by drowning it in her tears for her poor ghosts before she could ever deliver it successfully.

 

 “Yeah, no thanks. I still think the best way is through verbal confession.” Dahyun shook her head to also shake the sad feels away.

“Then you better work on your nerves. Who knows if she’ll start to fall for someone else?”

“Hey- don’t curse me, Son Chaeyoung!”

 “I’m just saying- 1500 people, Kim Dahyun. That’s a lot of competition and choices.”

 

“Wouldn’t they come for my if I really end up being her partner?” the older girl proceeded to ask as she went to grab the drink, hissing in pain from the hotness before fetching a sleeve.

“You mean like those obsessive fans of actual idols? Probably.” Chaeyoung shrugged, “But don’t worry. Not only is your best friend more than willing to kick some butts for you, your girlfriend’s a ing demi-demon.”

“S-She’s not my girlfriend… yet.”

“She would be if you’re not this big of a .” Chaeyoung smirked. “Come on, let’s get going already. If we take any longer to get back, my future girlfriend’s milk tea would get cold.”

“Confidence much?” Dahyun grinned back.

 

Chaeyoung’s cheeky behaviour reminded her on why she chose her as her best friend since their junior high days.

She was extremely thankful for Chaeyoung’s support and comfort- or existence in her life in general.

They had always been there for each other, but Dahyun believed that her friend has done way more for her.

It made Dahyun pray for Chaeyoung to have all the best things in life.

 

 


 

 

With the food and drink in hand, they returned back to the demons’ side.

The girls immediately smiled at them as they watched the two approach.

 

Momo’s eyes widened in surprise as Chaeyoung placed down a paper bag which contained not only the requested burger, but also some fries and a can of soda.

The generous human had decided to treat her to a whole meal knowing how Momo could be needing those extra fuel in her body, since the demi-demon was known to be extremely athletic and majored in dance.

Chaeyoung wouldn’t be surprised if she had a class in the afternoon, thus she wanted to make sure the school idol wouldn’t faint from hunger.

 

“Chaeyoungie, I love you.” Momo beamed in pure joy as she engulfed the tiny human into a huge embrace, making Chaeyoung’s whole head disappear within her arms.

They could instantly hear some envious gasps coming from the onlookers, but all four of them knew to ignore them completely.

“Y-You’re welcome, Momo-unnie, but I can’t breathe with your s suffocating me…” Chaeyoung’s muffled voice could be heard, obviously struggling to speak.

Mina giggled softly while Dahyun blushed in embarrassment from both Chaeyoung’s straightforwardness and from imagining herself in her place.

If Dahyun was in Chaeyoung’s shoes right now, she’d definitely die from extreme blood loss within ten seconds.

 

“Momorin, you’re going to kill her by accident.” Mina eventually had to step in just so that her own crush wouldn’t die from the lack of oxygen right in front of her eyes.

Momo then released the petite student who instantly gasped for air, her cheeks incredibly red from the intimate skin-ship.

The demi-demon proceeded to dig into her meal happily while Dahyun finally remembered to hand Mina her drink before sitting herself back down.

She had been too caught up with staring at her crush hugging her best friend.

 

“Thank you, Dahyun-sshi.” Mina smiled softly as she accepted the drink, enjoying the warmth of the drink that spread to her hands.

“Do you think we’re close enough to not use honorifics anymore?” Dahyun suddenly asked with a sheepish smile. “I mean, we’ve spent quite some time outside of school already. It feels kind of weird to still speak so formally to one another.”

“If you’d like, I’m more than willing to call you in a friendlier manner.” Mina answered, “Okay, Dahyunnie?”

 

Unexpectedly, Dahyun felt her cheeks burning up from hearing the beauty call her like that.

Once again she was reminded that the demon was the school’s idol, and so was the demi-demon who was now looking at her own friend with widened eyes.

Dahyun glanced towards her best friend who was obviously watching them with envy, pouting adorably when they made eye-contact.

 

“So uh, can we call you ‘Mina-unnie’?” Dahyun emphasised on the ‘we’, not wanting to leave her poor best friend out.

“Of course. Feel free to do so too, Chaeyoungie.” Mina somehow mustered up enough courage to smile at the other petite human whose face turned red once more.

Mina tried her best to not giggle out loud from her cuteness.

 

 

While Momo ate and Mina began another conversation with Dahyun, Chaeyoung suddenly came up with an idea in order to help her shy best friend.

She whipped out her phone and quickly sent the girl a text despite being right in front of her.

Dahyun’s phone instantly let out a chime as she received it.

 

“Ah sorry, excuse me.” Dahyun said before checking the message, frowning her eyebrows in confusion when she saw who it was from.

What the ?” she mouthed at Chaeyoung who quickly made a face in hopes that she wouldn’t expose their secret conversation.

Dahyun reluctantly complied since she was curious to why Chaeyoung couldn’t speak up verbally.

 

I’m such a genius- I just thought of a great way for you to get your girl without having to confess!”

Must you tell me right now? We were in a middle of a conversation!

It’s because of your current situation that I must tell you instantly!

Then be quick- don’t make your own crush wait for too long.

 

As if she read her mind, Mina leaned in closer to Dahyun due to being curious about why she looked so serious. “Who is it?”

Momo noticed how Dahyun flinched and leaned away from the demon, making her snicker as she chewed on.

 

“Are you two texting each other?” the demi-demon teased right after swallowing the last bite of her burger, resulting Dahyun’s face blush in shock.

She was starting to worry about how the demons might be capable of telepathy.

Luckily for them, Momo was purely joking and Chaeyoung was a decent liar.

 

“Nah, my mum’s bugging me all of a sudden.” Chaeyoung pretended to sigh. “She’s pissed about how I haven’t contacted her in a while.”

“A-And I’m talking to Jeongyeon-unnie.” Dahyun attempted to come up with an excuse also, yet her choice of lie had accidentally made the demon even more curious about her texts.

“Oh? Is she okay?” Mina questioned, causing the pale girl to panic even more while Chaeyoung tried her best to hold back her laugh.

“Yeah… She uh, she met some rude customers at work and is ranting to me about it.”

 

Dahyun let out a relieved sigh after seeing Mina nod along without any further questions.

The demon resumed back to sipping her tea while Chaeyoung hastily continued typing.

 

Okay, so instead of you confessing to her, we can trigger Momo-unnie to confess to you!

How the heck are we supposed to do that?

Simple. Make her super jealous!

Of what, exactly?

Of you and Mina-unnie. It’s okay, I give you permission.

Are you serious, Son Chaeyoung?!

Yes, now hurry up before you lose your chance!

Oh Lord.

 

Dahyun shoved her phone into her pocket with a sigh before facing the pretty girl beside her.

Mina instantly flashed out a small smile after they made eye-contact.

Chaeyoung continued to act as if she was texting her mum so that they were more believable.

 

“M-Mina-unnie.” Dahyun forced herself to blurt out despite her uncertainty of the plan.

“Yes, Dahyunnie?”

 

“… You look incredibly pretty today.”

 

Mina froze from the sudden compliment, while Momo shifted her attention from her soft drink to the two girls before her.

Her large eyes travelled back and forth between the two.

Chaeyoung grinned as they’ve successfully caught their prey’s attention.

 

“Where did that come from, Dahyun-ah?” Mina giggled as she patted the human’s head ever so gently.

Despite wanting to be in her friend’s spot, Chaeyoung was happy that Mina was subconsciously playing along.

“J-Just wanted you to know, that’s all.”

Mina wriggled her eyebrows playfully.

 

“Are you hitting on me?”

 

Dahyun’s mind had completely went blank, and it showed on her face.

The poor human hadn’t been expecting to see her playful side.

Chaeyoung let a small snicker escape her lips before she fake-coughed the rest away.

Momo was visibly uncomfortable at this point.

 

Mina was playing along so well due to the fact that she had the same idea as Chaeyoung within her mind-

But for her own crush.

She wanted to make Chaeyoung jealous by teasing the poor girl beside her, though she didn’t know that Chaeyoung was too busy observing Momo’s reactions to have noticed her efforts.

Despite not seeing the reaction she had wanted, Mina found Dahyun’s reaction adorable thus she chose to continue anyways.

“Is that why you treated me to a drink, Dahyunnie? Are you interested in me?”

 

“Minari.” Momo suddenly called out, “何してるの?”

The two Koreans could only blink at her in confusion while Mina smiled back at her friend.

ごめん, からかっていただけ.”

 

Dahyun and Chaeyoung felt like karma was being a b*tch as they had held a secret conversation right in front of the Japanese girls’ faces.

“Nani?” Chaeyoung tried to join in their Japanese conversation also, making Mina laugh from her heavy accent.

Momo merely looked at Chaeyoung for two seconds before glancing over to Dahyun.

She seemed to be upset for real, which made Dahyun gulp as she now regretted going along with her friend’s absurd idea.

 

“Mina-unnie.” Chaeyoung now called out, causing Mina’s heart skip a beat.

Dahyun tried to hint how she didn’t want to continue their scheme with her eyes, but Chaeyoung ignored it completely.

The youngest knew they couldn’t stop now.

Not when they were almost there.

 

Son Chaeyoung grinned as she prepared herself to give them a finally push.

Dahyun winced silently as she saw her best friend open her uncontrollable mouth.

 

 

“How would you react if Dahyun-unnie has feelings for you?”

 

 

With that said, Momo stood up from her seat.

Mina thought that her friend was going to storm off, but instead she found herself raising her eyebrows in surprise when Momo grabbed hold of Dahyun’s wrist and dragged her away without a single word.

People’s eyes were stuck on the two as they headed for the exit, but no one dared to follow-

Thankfully they didn’t, or else Chaeyoung would be busy with physically dragging some asses back.

 

The youngest female smirked as she witnessed the door shut behind them, obviously proud of her own doings.

Mina turned her face around to look at the remaining human in confusion, unable to guess why she had said that.

Her crush simply shrugged.

 

 

“… I forgot to add the word ‘non-existent’.”