The Demon's Invitation

Devil's Hour - 3 AM

“So how did it go, Momo-unnie?”

 

Hirai Momo merely snuggled her face deeper into her pillow, confusing her friend.

“… I couldn’t do it.”

 

“Why? I thought my plan was perfect.”

“… She had a friend over.”

“Oh shoot, I forgot to tell you about that.”

“You knew she’d be there?!”

“They were discussing about cramming for the project together. Of course she’d be there.”

“… Dang it.”

“… So you chickened out because of that other girl’s presence?”

“… Yeah.”

 

Myoui Mina let out a soft sigh as she patted the demi-demon on the back, trying her best to comfort her.

“Next time, I suppose.”

“I’m sorry, Minari. You sacrificed your notes for my sake and I didn’t even do it properly.”

“It’s fine. I didn’t need them anymore anyways. You remembered to write down your number on it though, right?”

“Yup!”

“Well at least that count as progress.”

 

Momo rolled onto her back as she stared blankly at the bedroom ceiling.

She cursed within her mind for being such a coward.

The chance was right there in front of her.

Only if she took action.

 

“Do you think I actually have a chance?”

“Half of the school is already madly in love with you, Momo. Of course you do.”

“Same goes for you, Minari.”

“I’m not the one who’s trying to ask someone out, silly.” Mina giggled, “How do you even get so shy around her anyways? You’re usually super bold and confident around your admirers.”

“I don’t know if she’s an admirer of mine though! We’ve never really talked until today.” Momo pouted sadly. “She’s just so adorable that I want to smush her little cheeks… don’t you have someone you’d like to go for?”

 

Mina lowered her pen as she sat there at her study desk, pondering carefully on the question.

She resumed her writing with a soft smile on her face.

 

“Maybe.”

“Ehh?! Who is it?!” Momo hastily sat herself up with excitement. “This is like, the first time you’re interesting in someone, Minari! Why didn’t you tell me earlier?!”

“Calm down, geez.” Mina chuckled at the sight of her pumped up friend. “I guess my interest in her had only appeared recently.”

“It’s a she too, eh? I knew your was just as gay as mine.” Momo wriggled her eyebrows playfully. “So? What’s this chick like?”

“Small, bite-sized. A little tomboyish from her fashion sense and body posture, yet still somewhat y…” Mina described precisely, making Momo’s grin wider than before.

 

“You’re so in love, Minari.”

“Same goes for you, Momorin.”

 

 


 

 

“So you’re seriously going to invite them over? Both of them?”

“I need Sana to confirm the fact for me, Chaeyoung-ah. I can’t live my days on feeling terrified about Mina-sshi’s potential of being a real demon.”

“It’s not like you’re going to stop fearing her if she turned out to actually be one, you know.”

“Why are you assuming she’s a demon though? I still can’t believe that Momo-sshi’s a half-demon!”

“I mean, if it came out of Im Nayeon’s mouth, I believe it.”

“Just because she’s a witch?”

“Supernatural beings should know their sh*t.”

“That’s true, but still…” Dahyun sighed as they made their way to their classroom-

The sole mutual class they had with the girls mentioned within their conversation.

 

“I don’t want to get eaten alive, you know?” Dahyun mumbled while they both took a seat.

“In what context? Because there’s one way that I’d be more than willing to experience.” Chaeyoung smirked, resulting Dahyun to scoff in disgust and slapping her friend in the arm.

“Gross! Don’t share that kind of thoughts with me, you nasty. I’d be more than happy to unhear them.”

Chaeyoung stuck her tongue out. “I’m happy to be truthful.”

“I’m not, so don’t overshare.”

 

It was at that moment, Momo and Mina arrived at the classroom.

Just like all their other classmates, Dahyun and Chaeyoung immediately noticed their presence.

It was pretty hard to miss.

They practically radiate out beauty, making them glow compared to the rest.

 

As if they had made a silent agreement, neither Dahyun nor Chaeyoung dared to look towards the two goddesses’s direction.

They were obviously avoiding them, and their awkwardness and tension made it incredibly easy to tell.

Mina noticed their behaviour instantly as she sat a few seats behind the duo with Momo.

 

As usual, Momo placed her stuff down onto the floor before laying her head down onto the desk, immediately dozing off.

Mina glanced at her friend worriedly.

She knew that something was wrong based on the two girls in the front seats.

She knew she must do something to help her air-headed friend in order to prevent her from experiencing a heart break.

 

It has been a while since Momo was so into another person.

Mina really wanted for her to succeed in getting her.

To get Dahyun.

 

 

When it was Mina’s turn to hand in her composition project, she discreetly slipped a folded piece of note onto Dahyun’s table.

She was so smooth when it came to note-passing that Dahyun didn’t even realise until she reached for her pencil case, finally discovering the note which laid right beside it.

 

Blinking in confusion, the pale student opened it up.

Chaeyoung was secretly taking a peek next to her.

Dahyun found her heart skipping a beat as she read the tiny words that were scribbled within.

 

 

Kim Dahyun-sshi, please meet me at the rooftop of Building C during our lunch break.

I’ll be there waiting for you.

– Myoui Mina

 

 

Dahyun immediately shoved the small piece of paper into her pencil case.

She had no idea what to do.

 

Was Mina going to attack her?

What if this was all a misunderstanding, and Mina was just as human as she was?

Who was she supposed to trust- her gut instincts, or three other supernatural beings?

 

With all those questions in mind, Dahyun failed to focus on the rest of her class as her heartbeat thumped violently on.

Even during her next class she couldn’t concentrate on anything.

All she had in mind were questions which she had no answers to.

 

She was anxious, curious, terrified, all at the same time.

Those emotions were too much for the small and fragile girl to experience at once.

She felt like she was going to explode from the nervousness, yet she had no choice to combust.

 

Dahyun could only either meet up at the said time and location, or she could run away.

If she truly met up with Mina, there was a slight possibility that she was going to be the girl’s lunch.

But if she ran away, she’s still forced to meet Mina in class.

 

With those two consequences in mind, Dahyun sent out a text to her best friend.

 

“I’m going to be busy during lunch. Eat without me.”

 

 


 

 

It was time.

 

Dahyun found her legs getting heavier and heavier as she climbed up the stairs that led to the rooftop.

She still had the chance to escape.

She could still run back to Chaeyoung’s arms and pretend that she never had received any notes from their school’s idol.

 

But she was already there.

Dahyun had reached the top of the stairs.

 

her dry lips, she took a deep breath before opening the door to the rooftop.

Straight forward, there stood a female’s figure.

She had her back towards the entrance, making her oblivious to Dahyun’s arrival.

 

Dahyun could instantly tell that it was Myoui Mina.

Only she could have such an elegant and feminine posture as she simply stood there, admiring the view.

Gulping down her nervousness, the pale student approached hesitantly.

 

“H-Hey.” she barely managed to call out, but luckily Mina’s hearing was superb.

The stunning female turned herself around to face the girl she had requested to meet.

Dahyun felt star-struck once again, just like the moment she saw Momo’s face behind her door.

For a second she had forgotten that the beauty before her was a potential demon.

Her elegance simply made it seem impossible.

 

“Thank you for coming, Dahyun-sshi.” Mina gave the girl a gummy smile, causing Dahyun’s heart to racing uncontrollably.

“W-What made you reach out to me?”

 

Mina fiddled with the hem of her shirt.

 

 

“Have you discovered something?”

 

 

“H-Huh?” Dahyun’s heart skipped a beat before accelerating its pulse once again.

This was already looking bad for the shorter female.

“What do you mean…?” she somehow dared to ask.

 

“I noticed you avoiding Momo and I this morning.”

 

“O-Oh…” Dahyun could feel a single bead of sweat dripping down the back of her neck.

She was scared now.

This was exactly what she had wished to not happen.

“I- um…” she desperately tried to come up with an excuse yet her mind was completely blank. “Y-You…”

 

Mina suddenly approached the trembling student, her hand reaching out.

Dahyun couldn’t tell what was on Mina’s mind.

She mentally prepared for the very worst.

 

Surprisingly, before Mina could even lay a single finger on Dahyun, the rooftop door abruptly burst open with a bang.

While neither of the two could react in time, a figure charged straight towards their direction-

 

And pranced straight onto Myoui Mina’s body.

 

It took two seconds before Dahyun was capable of speaking again.

It had occurred way too fast but she finally realised what had happened.

“C-Chaeyoungie?!”

 

“Run, unnie- while I still have her under my control!” Chaeyoung shrieked as her hands gripped onto Mina’s wrists, pinning her arms beside either side of her head.

Her concern for her pale friend made her completely forget the fact that she was currently on top of their school’s goddess.

She had no time to remember such a fact-

Even when she personally had a huge crush on the girl.

She had a strong ‘bros before hoes’ mindset, thus there she was wrestling with her goddess on the ground for her friend.

 

“W-What are you doing?!” Mina winced in pain from their brutal crash.

“I won’t let anyone hurt my Dahyun-unnie!” Chaeyoung gritted her teeth as she tried to keep Mina still.

“Chaeyoung, don’t do this! I won’t let you sacrifice yourself for me!”

“Unnie, please- don’t make my efforts go down the drain!”

“What are you two talking about? I wasn’t planning on harming anyone!”

“Liar! I know how dangerous you can be, Myoui Mina. Your beauty can’t fool me.” Chaeyoung dared to growl at he female beneath her, terrifying her with her sudden aggression.

“But I’m telling you the truth!” Mina cried desperately, “I merely wanted to talk to Dahyun-sshi about Momo’s feelings!”

 

“… Feelings?” Chaeyoung blinked, finally loosening her grip.

Mina quickly squirmed herself away from her attacker, both scared and confused about the sudden turn of events.

“So… you really weren’t going to eat me alive?” Dahyun blurted out, resulting Mina to look at her weirdly.

“No- why would I?!”

 

“Oh my God, we’re idiots.” Chaeyoung instantly face-palmed herself- hard.

Dahyun also placed a palm above her chest, calming her beating heart down.

“I’m so sorry, Mina-sshi! There has been a great misunderstanding!” Dahyun bowed 90 degrees after getting her pulse back to its usual pace.

Mina sighed softly as she dusted off the dirt on her clothes. “Yeah, I can tell…”

 

Dahyun captured her friend who had tried to run away in embarrassment and made her bow down also.

“I’m sorry, Myoui Mina!” Chaeyoung exclaimed with burning red cheeks- both from her shyness and her own hand-print. “Please forgive me for my stupidity!”

“It’s okay.” Mina gave her an awkward smile. “But really, I’m here to have an important talk with you, Dahyun-sshi.”

“Is it okay if Chaeyoung stays?” Dahyun begged with her puppy eyes, still too intimidated to face the beauty alone.

 

Mina was a little taken back from the request since her topic was about her friend’s private matter, yet she knew that Dahyun and Chaeyoung were like a buy-one-get-one free pair.

She quickly glanced at the tomato-looking female.

 

“Chaeyoung-sshi, do you have feelings for either Momo or Dahyun-sshi?”

“Huh?! Why the hell would I fall for this piece of tofu?!” Chaeyoung shrieked in shock before pretending to gag.

“Yah- I wouldn’t want you to fall for me either, pabo.” Dahyun sneered back, giving her best friend a kick on the .

The comedic response successfully made Mina giggle out loud, eventually gaining back the girls’ attention.

 

“I was just making sure, because I wouldn’t want to accidentally make things awkward.”

“I mean, that question still did the trick.” Dahyun chuckled softly, “But what is it?”

Mina cleared out before revealing the truth.

 

“I was worried about why you were avoiding us, since my friend Momo has a crush on you, Dahyun-sshi.”

 

Dahyun’s brain instantly shut down upon taking in the fact, while it was Chaeyoung who screamed in her place.

“HOLY SH-” the youngest girl’s mouth got slapped shut mid-shriek.

Her face blushed upon seeing that the hand belonged to Mina.

 

“Please be quiet about this matter, I wouldn’t want other people to find out.” Mina begged sincerely, gaining a nod from Chaeyoung.

She then released her hand from the girl’s mouth.

 

It was Chaeyoung’s turn to be star-struck.

The feeling of the girl’s soft hands still lingered on her lips.

 

Mina redirected her attention back to her friend’s crush.

“… Dahyun-sshi?” she waved her hand in front of her face, successfully snapping her back to her senses.

“… How’s that even possible?” Dahyun blurted out right after returning to reality. “I’m like, a nobody. And she’s like, a goddess.”

“Everyone has their own tastes. You just happen to fit right in.” Mina gave her a gentle smile. “You don’t have to answer Momo’s feelings right away. I merely wanted to make sure that you weren’t avoiding us because you hated us or something.”

“No, we were avoiding you two because we thought that you guys were demons.” Chaeyoung confessed without a warning, gaining a loud slap from her friend.

 

She didn’t realise her words would make Mina’s eyes widen in shock though.

Mina blinked with her hands covering .

 

 

“H-How did you know…?”