Scared

Once More
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jinyoung let himself be embraced by the cool breeze as they continue to walk along the quiet sidewalk. Their neighborhood really is a quiet and peaceful place, all the more at night. It's a quarter after nine and by this time, most of the residents are fast asleep. He bets his mom and brother are also asleep.

He listened to Mark drawing deep breaths as the older keeps hold of his hand inside his own. Mark's thumb is brushing on his knuckles and Jinyoung could only smile at the feeling he's getting. 

"Are you feeling better now?" He asked when they made a turn. Only a few blocks and they'll reach their house, as well as the Tuan's mansion. 

Mark hummed in reponse, but Jinyoung isn't quite sure if he'll take the older's response for it. The sight of him crying back at the park where they stayed for almost three hours, flashed on Jinyoung's mind. After everything which Mark told him, all those pain and hatred he harbored inside his heart, he doesn't think all those will disappear in a flash. It took him nineteen years but still, he's stuck with the pain he felt when their mom left them here. 

Jinyoung squeezed Mark's hand gently, just to let him know that he is here, and he understands. There is no need for Mark to conceal what he truly feels in front of him. He is not one to judge Mark. Like he said, he is here for Mark, until he learns how to fully forgive, and then move on from the pain which stayed with him for a very long time.

When their eyes met, he saw how Mark smiled genuinely at him. No words were said, and they just kept their hands entwined until they reached their house. 

"They are probably waiting for me inside." Mark said, looking at the mansion. "But I don't think I could face her right now." In a lower voice, Mark shakes his head. "Not now."

He could see how Mark was struggling. Jinyoung glanced at their house. His mom left the light on, outside the front door. "You could stay the night here." This made the older turn at him with confused eyes. "But you'll be sleeping on the couch. If it's alright with you... you could stay here and then just go back home tomorrow morning. It'll give you more time to think."

"Are you sure?"

"It's not a big deal, really." He said, shrugging his shoulder.

"Well, okay."

So he turned to open their gate and let them both in, as he opened the front door too. His mom left it unlocked since he wasn't able to bring the key with him when he ran to find Mark. 

 

Inside, only the light in the kitchen was on. He went to turn the lights on, in the living room and turned off the one at the kitchen. As he expected, his mom and brother are already fast asleep. "You can sleep here." He told Mark as he gestured towards the couch. It's not that big, but it could fit Mark in it. It's not that comfortable but, it is bearable. "Will you be fine?" But he still chose to ask.

Mark sat on the couch and removed his shoes. He tapped the couch and made himself comfortable in it while sitting. "Yes, I will."

Jinyoung smiled at that. "I'll just go and get some blanket and pillows for you. I can't let you feel any more uncomfortable."

"I could manage, Jinyoung." Mark said with a smile but Jinyoung waved his hands at him, dismissing the older.

"But still." He said, narrowing his eyes at Mark. "I'll be back in a bit." He said before walking towards his room to get the things Mark will need for a decent and proper sleep. He got two blankets, since he doesn't know how far Mark could bear the cold. He also got two pillows for the older. Jinyoung has three pillows on his bed, and he thinks he can sleep with only one.

When he returned, Mark is seated with one leg folded. The older was already staring at him when he reached the couch. He handed him the blankets and pillows. "Here you go." 

"Thank you." Jinyoung just smiled. He was about to tell Mark that it's time for them to sleep because he still has work tomorrow when Mark suddenly talked again. "Did Matt talk about her?"

This made Jinyoung furrow his brows as he tried to recall a time when Matt did talk about their mother. And then he figures... there was none. So he sat next to Mark and kept his hands on his lap. 

"In the whole of our relationship... I realized, Matt has failed to tell me some things. Some important things." He glanced at Mark whose fingers are playing with the hem of the blanket. "Firstly, he should've told me he has a twin, not an older brother, although technically you are older but still... you get my point." He checked on the older who is nodding at him. Jinyoung continued. "If I have known about it, then I wouldn't have fainted when we first met. That was embarrassing on my part in all honesty." He heard a low chuckle from Mark. He wanted to glare but he decided against it, thinking he'd like to enjoy more listening to his laugh. "Maybe if Matt has introduced us properly, we wouldn't get on each other's nerves in our first meeting. Things would've been different, you know?" 

Mark didn't say anything and just remained staring that it almost made Jinyoung break the stare down. But he has to remind himself that he's not some kid in front of his crush or something. For god's sake, he's already twenty five years old. Snapping himself out of it, he continued talking, this time clasping his hands together.

"Matt is not a closed person like you... but he isn't exactly what I can call an open book. He kept things from me too, but I hold nothing against him. It's alright, I may have failed on telling him everything too. So it's not surprising when I say that he also didn't tell me about your mom, I mean, not much." He recalls those few times Matt would mention his family, but it rarely happens. Matt's family is not one of their favorite things to talk about. Now he knows why. Maybe it's also why, Matt loved the sense of belongingness his mom and Yugyeom gave the older when they were still together. 

"What... w-what did he say about her?" Mark asked, his eyes shifting from left to right.

"Same things you have told me. About your mom leaving after your dad died and having her own family. It's only up until that part. Matt refuses to talk more about it, and I respected his decision. Although we were together, that doesn't mean I can pry in his life. And I also don't think I would enjoy seeing on his face the same pained expression I'm seeing in yours."

There was a short moment of silence, but it was not more than a minute before Mark talked again. "If Matt was still here..." The older trailed, casting his sad eyes on him. "... if he was still here, do you think... he will easily forgive her? Will he be mad just like I am?"

Slowly, and after exhaling, Jinyoung brought his hand on top of Mark's clasped ones. "Maybe not easily but... I think he will." He squeezed his hands gently. "And you will too. You just need time."

That night, when Jinyoung went into his bed and rested his head on his pillow, he could only smile. He keeps on thinking how Mark smiled at him, a smile full of hope, and trust. 

**********

 

"Good morning, hyung." That would be Hyunjin, greeting him as soon as he went out of his bedroom, hands still rubbing his eyes open.

When Jinyoung woke up this morning, he has this smile on his face. A smile he usually has after doing something good. And he thinks he just did, remembering last night, and how his talk with Mark went.

Speaking of which... Jinyoung glanced at the couch, where he expected to find the older but only saw folded blankets and the pillows which he gave Mark last night. Has he gone home already? 

"Oh, you're awake now." His mom greeted him when she went out from the kitchen, holding a bowl of fried rice. He sees the table full of his mom's prepared food for breakfast. "You didn't tell us Mark stayed here last night."

Oh. So they know. Well, of course they would probably after seeing the older on the couch, right? Jinyoung wants to smack his head.

"Well, yesterday was too much for Mark. I didn't think it was right to just leave him like that." He said, scratching the back of his head. He didn't miss how Yugyeom was smirking while drinking his hot choco. 

"You're too kind, hyung." Yugyeom said, with a hint of teasing, which Jinyoung cut by a sharp "Shut up." 

"That's nice, son." His mom said, still setting up the table. "It's a relief to see that Mark is feeling somehow better now. He's just taking a shower. When he's done, we could all eat breakfast."

Jinyoung nodded and was about to walk towards the dining table when suddenly the bathroom door opened, revealing Mark, with only a towel wrapped around his waist. He was drying his hair with a towel, when their eyes met. "Oh, good morning Jinyoung."

It took him two seconds before he averted his eyes and greeted back. His mom told them to hurry up because she needs to leave for the market so she told him to lend Mark some clean underwear. He just nodded and told Mark to follow him in his room, the older could get dressed there. He gave him a clean set of underwear and left the room as fast as he can. He cannot handle a second longer inside the room with Mark whose upper body is all exposed. 

When he sat on the chair next to Yugyeom, the younger has this teasing smirk on his face. "Are you feeling hot, hyung? Your cheeks look like they're burning." And his voice matches his smirk as well.

Before Hyunjin or his mom could turn to him, Jinyoung already kicked Yugyeom's foot, which made the younger shout in pain. This caught their mom's attention as well as Hyunjin's. 

"What's happening there?" His mom said from the kitchen. 

"Yugyeom hurt his foot." He answered while arching his brows at his brat of a brother. Yugyeom just scowled at him but Jinyoung just smirked at him. Now he knows when to shut his mouth.

 

**********

 

Mark parked the car upon reaching their destination. It's a local restaurant at Samyang-dong. It is where they usually eat back when they were still what he can call a family. Him, Matt, his dad and mom, altogether. Those were beautiful memories.

He took off his seatbelt and turned to his mom. "Let's go inside?" His mom also took off her seatbelt and followed him.

Mark could still remember how Jinyoung looked at him this morning when he drove him to the hospital. Jinyoung's hand felt warm against his own. You need to talk to her. She is still your mom. Jinyoung said. And Mark knows, Jinyoung could not be more right. He can't run away forever, and besides, he promised Jinyoung that there will be no more running. 

Once inside, Mark chose a table near the window, where they could see the sea. Back then, they always chose the same spot. Both his dad and twin loves seeing the sea. And Mark can't say he's any different. He handed the menu to his mom as they both ordered. It was when the food was served and they started eating when Mark felt the need and the courage to speak.

 

"I am sorry." He started, catching his mom off-guard. Maybe sorry is the last thing his mom expected to hear from him. But it is what he likes to say. "I am sorry if I kept it all inside me. All the pain and anger, and refused to share any with you; to tell you anything to somehow ease the heaviness I have been carrying."

"Mark..." his mom said in a shaking voice, but Mark knows he needs to keep on talking. He can't break into tears right now. Not yet.

"It's just... we were too young, me and Matt. We didn't know what was happening then. You left, right after dad also left us. We have no one, aside from grandpa. It was tough for us, you have to understand." His mom bit her lips as she nodded, saying she does understand. "When I needed to leave Matt, I couldn't imagine how hard it has been for him. You took me with you, where I spent most of my years with your family. I know you just wanted to look after me, as I am still your son after all... but... I never felt so alone. You were happy with your husband and children. I felt like I don't belong there. I didn't say anything, but as my mother... why didn't you notice?"

This made his mom shed tears. His voice is not far from breaking also. He feels something getting caught up in his throat that he needed to swallow it right back. All these years, he's been keeping everything. But as Jinyoung said... he needs to let go of all the pain he had kept inside his heart for so long. Now is the time. 

"I'm sorry son. I just thought... I thought I was doing the right thing... being a good mom finally. I thought keeping you by my side would be enough. But I realized, all i did was try to cover up the guilt which has been eating me up for the past years after leaving you both. I am really sorry

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter