Memories of what was...

Once More
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jinyoung heaved a sigh of relief as he looked at the monitor which shows the stabilized heart rate of the patient. It was four hours of torment in his mind, while he's trying to get his together to finish the operation successfully.

Bowing to his surgical team, the twenty five year old surgeon thanked his colleagues and congratulated them for a job well done. Taking off his surgical cap, he watched with a lighter heart as the young patient was being transferred to the intensive care unit to recover. He's safe now.

 

 

"Thank you very much, Doctor Park. I know I cannot thank you enough for saving the life of my son, but I will never stop saying thank you. I'll forever be thankful to you."

Jinyoung gladly shaked the old lady's hand who keeps on bowing her head to him. Jinyoung can't help but do the same thing. Mrs. Cheong is a kind lady, and a very loving mom. For almost a week that Min-ho was admitted here in Severance Hospital, Jinyoung has spent an ample time talking to the kind woman and all he heard was how she loved her only son.

He could still remember the fear in Mrs. Cheong's eyes when he said that Min-ho needs to undergo the coronary bypass surgery because his left main coronary artery is already severely narrowed and blocked, affecting the supply of most of the blood to the left ventricle. It was this morning when Min-ho suffered from heart attack that Jinyoung had no other choice but to perform the surgery. Thank God, the surgery was a success. He cannot imagine giving a heart breaking news to the old lady.

"I'm very sorry, we tried our best but. . . . he already lost too much blood. I'm sorry but, we lost him."

Jinyoung shook the thoughts off his head as he focused back on the glistening eyes of Mrs. Cheong. "I should also thank you, eommeonim, for giving your full trust on me. Min-ho is safe now and is recovering. But let us continue to pray for him."

He felt as Mrs. Cheong wrapped her arms around him, pulling him into a warm hug. "Thank you, son."

 

 

It was during his lunch break when his intern, Hyunjin knocked on his office and awkwardly smiled at him. "Good afternoon, Doctor Park." The twenty one year old intern didn't even stepped his foot inside his office and just stood there. 

"Good afternoon, Hyunjin." With his simple greeting, the young intern's awkward smile turned into a happier one. It figures, Hyunjin has always been very vocal on how he looks up to the young surgeon. He always say that someday, he would be like Doctor Park. Jinyoung finds it flattering of course, and tries his best to lengthen his patience to avoid scolding Hyunjin.

With small steps, Hyunjin is now partially inside his office and is holding a clipboard against his chest. "Dr. Hyeon wants to see you in his office now. He said he has something important to say to you."

Nodding his head at the younger, Jinyoung wiped his mouth with the clean napkin. He already finished his burger and cold noodles. He's good to go. "Okay. Thank you, Hyunjin."

 

Jinyoung literally has no idea about what Dr. Hyeon wanted to talk to him about. For his almost two years of working here in Severance, he could only count in his fingers the number of times he had a proper conversation with the senior doctor of the surgical department. He knows that the fifty four year old doctor trusts him, and is impressed by his quality of work. So now, with the respected doctor wanting to talk to him, Jinyoung doesn't know what to expect.

 

"How did the surgery go?" Dr. Hyeon asked as he offered him a glass of lemonade. 

"It went well, sir. My team has done a great job and we were able to put Min-ho to safety after the operation." Jinyoung said in pride. 

"As expected of you, Jinyoung. You never disappoint." Jinyoung just bowed at the senior doctor. "You have served Severance for a good amount of time, and to be honest, it was hard for me to make this decision of letting one of our best surgeons go, but. . . ." 

Jinyoung is now confused. Let go? Did he hear it right? What does it mean? Will he get fired?

Dr. Hyeon handed him an envelope containing a letter from Hanmaeum Hospital. "They are in need of a surgeon, and what am I supposed to do but send one our best there."

Jinyoung is still reading the letter sent by Hanmaeum - a hospital in Jeju-do, his hometown.

 

"Dr. Park. You will be relieved from your duty here in Severance, and will be transferred in Hanmaeum Hospital in Jeju."

 

**********

 

Jinyoung is shocked. But of course he cannot say no to Dr. Hyeon. The senior doctor has a lot of expectations for him, he should not disappoint. So all he was able to do was to agree.

Along with him, Hyunjin is also sent to be his assistant. Jinyoung thinks it's a bit comforting to know that he'll be at least be able to work with one familiar face. He is fine with that.

What he isn't fine with is, the fact that after four years, he'll now have to return to Jeju. It has been four long years since he left to head to Seoul and finish his degree as a surgeon. It was a sudden decision, to become a surgeon instead of a pediatrician, since he always loved kids. But that decison was led by that tragic night.

That night when he lost him.

 

"I am so excited, Doctor Park! It's my first time to go to Jeju." Hyunjin said beside him. They're inside the van which is taking them to Incheon Airport. 

"Then I should be more responsible for you." He tapped the younger's knees as their van halted in front of the airport. "Let's go."

 

It was already past 2 o'clock in the afternoon when their flight was announced. "This is the pre-boarding announcement for Flight 09M of Jeju Air 121, passengers with elders and small children may now begin boarding at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately fifteen minutes. Thank you." So Jinyoung decided to call his younger brother, Yugyeom.

When he told the news to his brother and mother two days ago, they were both excited. They said they missed him, after almost four years of being away. They only get the chance to be with each other when Jinyoung sends them plane tickets to go to Seoul. And that only happens during holidays. Since Jinyoung left, he really wasn't able to go back to Jeju. Only now.

 

"Hyuuuuuunggg!!!!" Yugyeom's voice ringed inside his ears and Jinyoung could just roll his eyes. "What time are you going to arrive here? Eomma is excited! Me too!!!"

Jinyoung pinched the bridge of his nose before speaking. "You could expect us to arrive in more or less two hours. Don't be late in fetching us, or you'll be dead Park Yugyeom!" 

"Alright, alright hyung. I still value my life." And that only made Jinyoung laugh. Yes, he did miss his mischievous brother.

 

After fifteen minutes, all passengers were called to board the plane. Once seat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter