Unwanted Attention

Sunbae (hiatus)

"Why did you look elsewhere when you were pulling the rope?" Woohyun whined as he turned the barbeque meat around. "Now we have to stand here in front of this grill all night." 

"Sorry," Sungyeol mumbled, looking at the ground. 

"Give him a break, Woohyun," Sunggyu admolished. 

"At least we can eat as much as we want," Sungjong said as he gobbled down on a piece of meat. 

"I can't believe how strong the sunbae team was," Woohyun continued. "Myungsoo sunbae is indeed perfect. Did you all see his muscles? The way he wasn't even struggling?"

Sunggyu scowled at Woohyun. "How many times have I told you to stop talking about that sunbae?"

"Hyung, you're not the boss of me, you know," Woohyun retorted back. 

"Calm down everyone, let's just enjoy the food," Sungjong suggested. 

"Good idea," Sunggyu agreed, picking up a piece of meat. 

Sungyeol was not feeling great. He had let his whole team down, let all the first years down. He felt like everyone would remember him as that boy who had made the whole team fall down because of his lack of concentration. Way to ruin my own reputation within a week. 

"Hi," a voice next to him said. He looked around and saw a girl with long brown hair and deer-like eyes look up at him. "You're Lee Sungyeol, right? From the tug-of-war game." 

Oh great. Someone is here to tell me off because of my stupidity already. Sungyeol sighed inwardly. 

"Yes, that's right," Sungyeol replied. 

"You did a great job back there," the girl smiled. "Too bad that we lost." 

"Oh," Sungyeol said, not expecting such a reaction. "Yeah, it was too bad." 

"My name is Yeonju. Kim Yeonju. It's nice to meet you." The girl named Yeonju grinned. 

"It's nice to meet you too," Sungyeol answered. 

"Are these your friends?" Yeonju inquired, looking around at the others. 

"Yeah, this is Woohyun and Sunggyu hyung and Sungjong," Sungyeol said, gesturing to each as he said their names. 

"Hi everyone, my name is Kim Yeonju," Yeonju informed them happily. "It's nice to meet you all. I'm a first year too." 

"Hi Yeonju," Woohyun replied, waving his hand. "Welcome to our all-you-can-eat barbeque buffet." 

Yeonju laughed good-naturedly. 

"What are you all laughing about?" 

Sungyeol turned his head in instant recognition. Myungsoo sunbae. 

The older had appeared from nowhere with a can of coke in his hand. He gave them a slight smile before bringing the can to his lips and taking a sip. 

"Oh!" Yeonju gave a slight gasp as she recognized the famous sunbae.

"Sunbae!" Woohyun bowed his head in the older boy's direction. "You beat Sungyeol's team without effort! You are indeed worthy of your reputation." 

"Oh my," Myungsoo chuckled. "I hope my reputation isn't too bad." 

"Not at all!" Sungjong assured him. "Sunbae is the most popular guy we know of."

Though Myungsoo shook his head as if in mild shock and disbelief, he didn't deny it. Instead he turned to the girl and looked directly at her with a mild smile. "And what is your name, little hoobae?" 

Yeonju blinked twice before finally replying. "My name is Kim Yeonju."

"Yeonju," the older repeated. "I see. It's nice to meet you, Yeonju." 

Sungyeol looked from Myungsoo to the new girl with a weird feeling in his stomach. Is this the person sunbae was talking about? The one who was just to his liking?

"And are you friends with these boys?" the older boy continued. 

"I just met them today," Yeonju explained. 

"Aha," Myungsoo nodded as if in understanding. "A newly formed friendship. How nice." 

"Yes, I like making friends," Yeonju smiled sweetly. 

"As do I," the sunbae agreed. "We should become friends too, don't you think, Yeonju?"

Sungyeol suddenly felt the urge to stop the conversation. 

"Sunbae!" he blurted out abruptly. 

Myungsoo looked at Sungyeol with something like mild surprise. "Yes, hoobae?"

"I-," Sungyeol started, but didn't know how to finish. "...I... um... you did a great job at the tug-of-war today," he finally said, fumbling with his words. 

"Thank you, hoobae," Myungsoo smiled. "I guess you need to train your concentration if you hope to win next time." 

"I-" Sungyeol opened his mouth, but soon closed it again. 

"No worries. I can help you with your concentration. When in my hands, even the dullest hoobae becomes like the sharpest knife," the black-haired boy winked, a wickedly playful expression momentarily flashing across his face. 

Sungyeol could feel his face go red from embarrassment. "No need," he assured the older. "I won't join any competitions in the future."

"What do you mean, you won't join any competitions?" Yeonju protested. "But you were so good!"

"No, I wasn't," Sungyeol laughed awkwardly, not used to being praised. "I made our team lose." 

"Still, you looked really cool when you were pulling that rope. I could tell that you're strong," Yeonju assured him. 

"Thank you, but really, I'm not that strong," Sungyeol protested. 

"You're too modest," Yeonju laughed, covering with her slender hand. "I guess you have both strength and modesty." 

"I agree with Sungyeol," Myungsoo sunbae said all of a sudden. "You shouldn't join any competitions." 

Sungyeol frowned slightly as he looked at the other. The black-haired boy's expression was unreadable, but for some reason Sungyeol thought Myungsoo seemed somewhat tense. What's with the sudden change of mood? Why is he looking at me like that?

"You don't belong in front of crowds," Myungsoo mused, his smile no longer lingering at his lips. "There's no need for any more unwanted attention." 

Unwanted attention? What does he mean by that?

Sungyeol didn't know what to make of the older boy. "I don't know what you mean." 

"You don't need to know," Myungsoo said, and took another sip of coke. 

 

Author's Note: Hey guysss <3 here's another chapter, hope you enjoyed reading it ^^ I am having more fun writing Myungsoo's character than I thought I would xD also, I will make sure to update at least once a week, but probably more than that too hehe