Resolve

Sunbae (hiatus)

Sungyeol was not able to sleep much that night. 

After hearing Myungsoo sunbae's shocking confessions, Sungyeol had left the apartment in a sort of half daze. He just couldn't believe any of it. Sunbae, liking him? It couldn't be true. Why would such a perfect person like someone as plain and average as himself? 

Yet at the same time, Sungyeol could now understand Myungsoo sunbae's weird actions when looking at them from a different perspective. If Myungsoo liked him, it would explain the older's random instances of cold attitudes and sharp words. It would not be coldness coming from contempt and dislike, but from jealousy and frustration. Sungyeol couldn't help but smile. Myungsoo, jealous because of himself? It was too good to be true, but Sungyeol intensely wanted to believe that it was. If sunbae liked him, and Sungyeol liked sunbae, that would mean... We could date. Sunbae could be my boyfriend. I could have him! 

Realizing this, Sungyeol felt a tingling in the bottom of his stomach. His heartbeat rose, and his chest seemed to contract and expand simultaneously. It felt both painful and good at the same time, and he wasn't sure whether he liked the feeling or not. He didn't feel in control of himself, but a part of himself didn't want to be in control. A part of him wanted to run back to sunbae's place, bang on his door until it opened, and crash into the older with all the force of a tidal wave. He wanted to hug him and kiss him and tell him that he was just as in love with the older as sunbae claimed to be in love with him. He wanted to make sunbae his own so no one else could have him. 

I will tell him on Monday. As soon as I see him, I will run up to him and tell him that I like him. 

 

 

 

Sungyeol went to school that Monday with a resolve to confess to Myungsoo sunbae at the first opportunity that he got. Yet that opportunity seemed to be evading him. 

During all his free time between classes, Sungyeol had roamed around campus trying in vain to find the black-haired boy who was too skilled at concealing himself. Because Sungyeol was sure that that was what the older was doing; he was hiding from Sungyeol. 

This was very frustrating, and Sungyeol had no idea how to track down someone who didn't want to be found. How could he tell me all that and then just disappear! How can he leave me hanging like this! Sungyeol thought angrily. Just you wait, sunbae. I will catch you. 

"Woohyun-ah. Where do you think Myungsoo sunbae would hide if he didn't want to be found?" Sungyeol whispered into Woohyun's ear. Sunggyu scowled at the two of them. It was late Monday afternoon and the three were sitting in class at the far back of the classroom.  

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you about that," Woohyun whispered back. "Where did you go off to last Friday? When I came back from the convenience store you were gone. And then I got a message later that night from Myungsoo sunbae saying that I didn't need to worry about you. I didn't even know that sunbae had my kakaotalk. What's going on with you two? Did you go see him? Did you... did you tell him that you like him?" 

Sungyeol shook his head. "Actually, I have a lot to tell you, but now isn't a good time." Sunggyu was still scowling at the two of them, obviously not pleased with the way they were whispering to each other. 

"Yah. What are you two mumbling about?" Sunggyu demanded. 

"Sungyeol will tell you later," Woohyun replied quietly. 

"You better," Sunggyu said, looking suspiciously at Sungyeol. 

"Of course," Sungyeol agreed. "I'll tell you tomorrow, if there's time."

"So back to business," Woohyun whispered. "What did you say about sunbae?"

"Where do you think he would hide?" Sungyeol murmured. 

"Why would he be hiding?" Woohyun inquired. 

"Because... I'm not sure. But he is misunderstanding something. And I need to explain. So I need to find him."

"I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but anyway," Woohyun said. "have you tried the library?" 

"Yes."

"The cafeteria?"

"Yes."

"The café?"  

"Yes." 

Woohyun frowned. "Goodness. I guess he really is avoiding you." 

"Can you think of anywhere else?" Sungyeol pleaded. 

"The track and field area?" 

"Been there too." 

"The gardens behind the track and field area?"

Sungyeol tilted his head to the side. "Gardens?"

"You don't know? There's this garden behind the track and field where there's benches and a little pond and stuff. Some couples go there when they want some alone-time, if you know what I mean." Woohyun wiggled his eyebrows, a small smile on his lips. 

"I didn't know our campus had a garden," Sungyeol whispered back. 

"It's more of a couple's spot, so I guess the single Sungyeol wouldn't know," Woohyun teased. 

Sungyeol hit Woohyun lightly on the shoulder. "So why do you know then. You're not dating anyone." 

"And how would you know that," Woohyun shot back, a smile playing on his lips. 

"You're dating?" Sungyeol exclaimed, louder than he had meant to. Sunggyu's head snapped in their direction. "What?" he said, his slinted eyes wide. 

"Wow, relax," Woohyun laughed. "I didn't say I was dating anyone. I just said that you might not know it if I were." 

"So are you?" Sunggyu asked. "Dating anyone." 

"Not at the moment," Woohyun replied, shrugging his shoulders. 

Sunggyu's shoulders relaxed in response. 

Observing this small exchange of words and actions, Sungyeol suddenly had the feeling that he was, for the first time, seeing clearly the relationship between the two boys sitting next to him. 

 

 

 

"Well, good luck searching for your sunbae," Woohyun grinned teasingly. 

"He isn't my sunbae," Sungyeol replied. He could feel his ears getting hot. 

"Not yet,"  Woohyun said, winking. 

"..." Sungyeol opened his mouth to protest, but in the end decided against it. "Not yet," he agreed instead, an uncertain smile playing on his lips. 

"I don't really know the situation, but good luck," Sunggyu said. 

"Thanks," Sungyeol replied. 

"Now let's go home, Woohyun-ah. I'm hungry," Sunggyu complained while pulling at the shirt-sleeve of the other. 

"Okay, okay," Woohyun laughed. 

"See you guys later," Sungyeol said. 

They parted ways, Woohyun and Sunggyu strolling towards the school entrance, Sungyeol jogging towards the track and field area. 

He probably won't be there, Sungyeol thought to himself. He probably isn't even on campus. That didn't mean that he wasn't going to check. So he jogged all the way to the track and field, and continued past it until he saw the atmosphere change with the appearance of trees and flowerbeds. He slowed down then, catching his breath. Surrounding him were cherry blossom trees (though the flowers were long gone), pink and yellow flowers that he didn't know the name of, and benches scattered around the green garden. What caught Sungyeol's attention was not any of that, though. Instead his eyes fixed on the large pond that was located at the middle of the garden, and more specifically the boy that was leaning his elbows against the wooden fence that surrounded the sparkling pond. 

Sunbae!! 

 

Author's Note: Hey everyone! I decided to write another chapter straight away while I was in the zone. And sorry again for the negative vibes on my last author's note... While writing this I actually felt a lot better and it's nice to be able to recall how fun it is to write. I think I had almost forgotten the feeling. So I'll try to write more often. I have lot's of time now anyway since it's summer holidays. 

So thanks again for the patience and thank you for reading the story <3 

(there just might be some important developments taking place during the next chapter :3 And when I say there might I mean there will hehe)