Look at Me

Sunbae (hiatus)

"Sunbae really is perfect," Woohyun concluded. "He even cares about his hoobaes." 

Kim Myungsoo had left their table, and the four were once again by themselves. The evening had gotten even darker, and more than just a few people were getting rather drunk. Luckily, no sunbaes had forced them to drink any alcohol so far. Woohyun and Sungjong were drinking without being forced, but Sunggyu and Sungyeol had chosen to remain sober. 

"Will you stop talking about that sunbae?" Sunggyu grumbled, clearly not pleased. 

"Why do yo hate Myungsoo sunbae?" Woohyun complained, his eyes slightly unfocused. 

"I've told you, if you can't figure that out by yourself, I won't tell you," Sunggyu replied. 

"Talking of Myungsoo sunbae," Sungjong joined. "I can't see him." 

"Maybe he's off somewhere with some pretty girl," Sunggyu waved his hand dismissively. 

Sungyeol frowned at this thought. He didn't know why, but imagining Myungsoo with 'some pretty girl' didn't put him in a good mood. 

"Maybe he's gone to bed already," Woohyun suggested. "It's getting pretty late. Isn't it already one o'clock?" 

It was indeed getting late. A group of students could be seen entering the large hanok, yawning and stretching, clearly ready for a good night's sleep. 

"Maybe we should get to bed, too," Sungjong said. 

"Yeah, I'm starting to get tired," Woohyun agreed. 

"I think I'll stay here for a little while longer," Sungyeol told the others, the blanket he had gotten from Myungsoo wrapped tightly around his shoulders. 

"Do as you wish," Woohyun shrugged, and the three of them headed off to bed, leaving Sungyeol sitting on the grass alone. 

This week had been one of the longest weeks of Sungyeol's life. The first day of school, the new friends, the orientations, the difficulty of choosing classes, the MT, the sunbaes... Sungyeol once again thought of Myungsoo sunbae. He wondered where Myungsoo sunbae was now. 

"Not in bed yet, I see," a voice said, and Sungyeol knew straight away who it was. He looked up and saw Myungsoo standing above him, staring at him. 

Sungyeol nodded. "Not sleepy yet." 

"Great," Myungsoo said. "Let's go for a walk, then." 

"A walk?" Sungyeol repeated, not following. 

"I was planning on going for a walk before bed, but it gets rather boring walking alone. So keep me company." Myungsoo said this as if there was no negotiation regarding the matter. 

"Okay," Sungyeol mumbled and rose to his feet, the blanket still wrapped around his shoulders. 

"There's a lake not far from here," Myungsoo informed him. "Let's go there." 

Sungyeol didn't feel like he had any say-so in the matter anyway, so he just nodded. 

Without another word, they silently started walking away from the rest of the students, and soon the only sound that could be heard was the cricketing of the insects in the grass around them and the sound of their feet hitting the gravel. The moon shone brightly, giving the surroundings an almost blue-white glow. 

"Lee Sungyeol," Myungsoo said, his voice low. 

"Huh?" Sungyeol started. "Yes?"

"Nothing." Myungsoo glanced at Sungyeol. 

Sungyeol was feeling extremely awkward. Why was he even taking a walk with this sunbae? He didn't know where to look. He finally decided the ground would be the best place. 

"What are you thinking about?" Myungsoo asked, looking at him with curiosity. 

"Nothing really," Sungyeol replied, looking at the ground. 

"Did you have a good time today?" Myungsoo inquired. 

"Yes, the food was good and... yeah.." Sungyeol trailed off, his gaze still focused on the gravel in front of him. 

"Have you made a lot of friends yet?" Myungsoo said. 

"Yeah, Woohyun and Sunggyu hyung and Sungjong..." Sungyeol answered. 

"Don't look down when you speak to me," Myungsoo said, his voice slightly hard. "You should look at your sunbae when you speak." 

Sungyeol could feel his cheeks turning red. Was he already getting on a sunbae's bad side? "Sorry," he mumbled, still staring at the ground. 

"Look at me when you speak," Myungsoo growled, and before Sungyeol could say another word, Myungsoo had grabbed his chin and made him look at the older. Sungyeol stopped short, suddenly feeling almost scared, and when he finally took a peek at the older's face, he couldn't read Myungsoo's expression. 

"I'm sorry," Sungyeol repeated, this time looking straight at the older, who was still holding his chin. 

Myungsoo suddenly pulled his hand away, looking like he had all of a sudden realized what he had just done. "I'm sorry," he said, a smile back on his face. "I didn't mean to be so rough. I just don't want any of the other sunbaes to get on your case for not acting like a proper hoobae. I only want you to get along with everyone." 

Myungsoo smiled, but to Sungyeol, the smile somehow seemed slightly strained. 

"I'll be more careful from now on," Sungyeol informed the older, looking straight at Myungsoo. "I won't look away when speaking to you, sunbae." 

Myungsoo smiled once again, but this time there was a warmth to it that hadn't been there before. "That's good, hoobae." And Myungsoo's hand reached out once again, but this time to ruffle Sungyeol's hair affectionately. "The lake isn't far away. Just five more minutes and we'll get there. Try not to get lost before that, little sheep." Myungsoo chuckled softly, and the sound of the older's laugh made Sungyeol's stomach squirm slightly. They finally started walking again. 

"Why would I get lost when sunbae is right here with me?" Sungyeol retorted, his cheeks rather pink. 

"That's true," Myungsoo agreed. "You should make sure you stay next to your sunbae from now on. That way you won't ever get lost." 

Sungyeol stared at the older, not knowing how to reply. 

"You should reply when your sunbae speaks to you," the older informed him. 

"I-" Sungyeol opened his mouth, but still didn't know what to say. 

"Repeat after me: 'Yes, I'll stay next to sunbae from now on'," Myungsoo said. 

"... yes, I'll... stay next to sunbae from now on..." Sungyeol repeated, feeling extremely embarrassed and slightly worried. Is he telling me to be his slave from now on? Does he plan on using me as a bread shuttle? 

Myungsoo smirked. "Good boy." 

 

(*note* bread shuttle (or just shuttle) is a Korean term used for someone that is forced to buy bread (or whatever else they are instructed to buy) for someone else during lunch breaks)

Author's Note: Hey guys!! Long time no see!! I've been busy with my final exams, so I haven't been able to update at all... T.T So sorry... T.T But now the semester is finally over, and I am freeee!! :D So finally back to writing and thank you to anyone who is reading this! <3 Hope you like it! (side note: I was kind of creeped out because of Myungsoo while writing this haha. Weird being creeped out by your own character... not that I don't still love him haha <3)