First Day

Sunbae (hiatus)

The day had finally arrived. University. 

Sungyeol had dreamt of this day for longer than he could remember. Everyone around him had always told him that real life didn't start before you entered university. He couldn't quite understand what they meant by this, but he also couldn't wait to find out. 

Not having any specific talents nor interests, Sungyeol had chosen economy as his major because he assumed this would help him find a job after graduating. Since all companies need people with an economy major. Probably... Sungyeol thought to himself. 

Arriving at the school campus, Sungyeol soon realized that the place was bigger than he had initially imagined. The first introduction class would start in less than an hour, yet he had no idea where to go. How am I supposed to find the right building... 

Not being the best at finding locations, Sungyeol quickly started to feel a bit worried. Around him were girls and boys hurrying to their classes, holding books and looking too busy to help a stranger find his building. Sungyeol looked around in hopes of spotting anyone who could help him. 

"You're a first year, right?" a deep voice said from behind him. Sungyeol turned around a saw an unbelievably good-looking boy with ink-black hair and dark eyes.

"Me?" Sungyeol asked.

"Yes, you," the stranger replied. 

"Yes, I'm a first year..." Sungyeol said, trailing off at the end, not knowing where the conversation was going. 

"I knew it," the boy said. "You look totally lost." 

Sungyeol stared at the stranger, still not sure where this was leading to. 

"I'm a second year," the boy added, like this should explain everything. 

"Aaah," Sungyeol nodded. Then, like he suddenly realized that this person might just be able to help him, he quickly added "then do you by any chance know where the economy building is?" 

The boy looked at Sungyeol for a moment and then nodded. "I'll show you." 

"Really?" Sungyeol exclaimed, feeling instantly relieved. "Thank you so much!" 

"Follow me," the boy replied, and without another word, he turned around and walked away. Despite the fact that Sungyeol had exceptionally long legs, he still had to hurry to keep up with the black-haired boy. How does he manage to walk so fast so effortlessly? Sungyeol mused to himself, trying his best not to fall behind. 

After about 7 minutes of walking, the boy pointed to a large, grey building and said, "This is it." 

Sungyeol looked up at the tall constructure before turning to the boy. "Thank you for showing me the way." 

The boy gave him a nod before turning around and starting to walk in the opposite direction, raising his hand in a wave and, without looking back, saying "See you around." Without another word, the boy walked away. 

What a strange boy, Sungyeol thought to himself while walking into the economy building. He must be kind because he went out of his way to help me, but he didn't smile even once. 

Sungyeol entered an auditorium marked with a sign that read "Introduction Class for Ecomony Freshmen". Some people had already found their seats, even though the class wouldn't be starting before another 20 minutes. Feeling terribly awkward standing in the doorway all by himself, Sungyeol scanned the room for a reasonable place to sit. He suddenly wished he knew someone taking the same class. 

A boy with just the right brown colored hair turned around and looked at Sungyeol for about two seconds before blurting, "You don't have someone to sit with? Come sit with us." The boy waved Sungyeol over with his hand, a good-natured smile on his face. 

Sungyeol hesitantly walked over to where the brown-haired boy and a blond-haired boy with very slanted eyes were sitting side by side. 

"I'm Woohyun," the brown-haired boy declared. "And this is Sunggyu." He pointed to the slanted-eyed boy.

"What's your name?"

"I'm Sungyeol," Sungyeol replied, delighted to meet someone so pleasant on his first day. "Nice to meet you." 

"Same here," Woohyun returned with a smile. Sunggyu gave a slight nod. Sungyeol found a seat next to Woohyun, feeling relieved that he didn't need to look for a place to sit anymore. 

"I can't wait to start university!" Woohyun continued excitedly. "I hear the economy faculty is known for its good-looking students. Have you heard about the famous 'sunbae'?"

"Sunbae...?" Sungyeol repeated, a question mark on his face. 

"Apparently there's this famous guy from second year, and he's super smart and super good-looking and super popular and mysterious and stuff," Woohyun explained. 

"Sounds too good to be true, if you ask me," Sunggyu retorted. 

"I've heard that he'll be coming today to explain stuff to us first years," Woohyun continued excitedly. "I really wanna see his face!" 

"Why are you so into him anyway..." Sunggyu grumbled, obviously displeased about something, though Sungyeol coudn't quite figure out what. 

"Okay everyone, quiet!" someone suddenly shouted from the front of the classroom. Sungyeol looked ahead and saw a middle-aged man - probably the professor - clapping his hands twice to silence the crowd. "We will now start the introduction class for the freshmen of the economy faculty." 

The students gave the appropriate amount of applause before again turning quiet. 

"Because I know you young folks dislike listening to an old man like me, I have asked the head student of the second years to do the introduction. So give a round of applause to our remarkable second year-student, Kim Myungsoo." 

In from one of the side doors walked a slim figure dressed in black, and upon a more careful look, Sungyeol realized it was the same boy that had showed him the way a little while ago. 

The room exploded in applause as both boys and girls took in the handsome, young man standing before them. Sungyeol could already tell that this boy was on another level of popular. 

"Wow. I see the rumors are true," Woohyun said, staring with what looked like awe at Kim Myungsoo. "He really has everything." 

Sunggyu glared at Myungsoo like he couldn't stand the sight of him. "I don't see what's so great," he mumbled. 

"Come on, hyung, don't you see his face? Look at him! He practically looks like a god. I wonder what kind of perfect girl will get him someday. I can't imagine someone ever being within his league..." Woohyun mused. 

Sungyeol couldn't disagree. Even if he tried to, he couldn't quite imagine anyone being pretty enough to stand next to the obviously perfect boy standing in front of him. 

 

Author's Note: Hey you guys! Long time no see! I've missed you all with your sweet comments and stuffs! This is my first story in forever ever ever, so please don't have your hopes up. But I still hope you'll like it! <3  *feeling extremely awkward after not having written anything in so long and wondering whether anyone will even read this after such a long hiatus from my side*