twenty seven.

Game of Deception

He felt confused and lost. He doesn't even know what to believe in because in his mind, he can recall several memories of him and Kris right from the moment they met up until the most recent one. Jongin's story however, straight up confuses him. It's so detailed and he cannot find a reason on why he'd make all of that up. 


 

"It's not fair." Something about the way Jongin said that makes his heart ache. He sounded so hurt and broken but at the same time there is a look of hope in his eyes. But that changed right after Sehun kissed him, the hurt on Jongin's expression is something he can't forget. 

 

And when the son of Ares leaves, a part of him wanted to tell him to stay. Sehun feels like he's drowning in so many emotions. His heart feels so heavy in his chest and there's this void, this feeling of emptiness that's eating him up. 

 

When the door closes, tears start falling from his eyes and he can't even explain why. They just kept falling and his heart felt even heavier. It was like he couldn't breathe. 


 

If only Jongin stayed a little longer, then he would have seen how the color of Sehun's eyes changed as he cried. 


 

Sehun looks at the vial that Jongin left. If Jongin really is telling the truth, then this might solve everything. It still makes Sehun wonder though, if this so called greatest love is as great as it try sounds then he wouldn't be manipulated so easily, right? 

 

He tries shaking his thoughts away and he tried going back to sleep but the feeling of emptiness continues to swallow him so he gets up again. 

 

Not caring that he's wearing pajamas, he sneaks out of the cabin. He can sense Donghae sleeping in the other room so he remains as quiet as possible. 

 

As he reaches the first floor of the cabin, something flashes in his mind. He catches short glimpses of him and Jongin in one of the rooms downstairs. Sehun remembers it as the last night he fooled around with Jongin but from the images that flashed in his head, it didn't look like they were fooling around at all. 

 

He leaves the cabin and heads straight towards the gate. The son of Kratos eyes him in confusion when he sees him approaching. 

 

"You're not dressed properly." Shownu points out. 

 

"I know." Sehun hurriedly answers. "But I'm not going to a formal meeting with the gods. Please, this is urgent. Let me go." 

 

Shownu looks flustered for a moment before nodding in agreement. "Whatever you're doing, stay out of trouble." 

 

It's been a while since he used his charm on others. Sehun gives the son of Kratos an apologetic smile as he opens the gates and allows him to go through. 


 

Sehun actually has no plan in mind, he doesn’t even know where he’s headed to. He has four places in mind; Aphrodite’s, Ares’, Eros’ or Persephone’s quarters. If Jongin is telling the truth, Hades will be Persephone’s quarters too and there’s no way that Kris, Persephone and Hades would all lie to him. However Jongin already mentioned that he had already approached them and the only solution they have so far is the potion in the vial so coming there won’t make much of a difference. 

 

Sehun already regrets impulsively running out of the cabin and heading past the gates at the crack of dawn. It’s cold, dark and to make it worse, he’s barefoot. “I should’ve waited till morning.” Sehun grumbles as he rubs his hands over his arms to warm himself up. 

 

He wasn't really paying attention to where he was going so he's a bit surprised when he found himself in front of his mother's quarters. 

 

Sehun contemplates for a moment but he knows he'll eventually have to confront her soon so it's better if he settles things right now. 

 

He tries knocking first but no one answers. However, he can sense someone inside so he tries to open the door. Luckily, it was not locked so he enters without any problems. 

 

There were no signs of his mother in the living room so he climbs up the staircase. He was only halfway up when he sees the goddess storming out of one of the bedrooms upstairs. 

 

Sehun halts by the staircase upon seeing his mother. There are a hundred questions running through his mind right before he got here but now it's all blank. Sehun hears another set of footsteps and this time he sees Ares. 

 

"Oh… was I disturbing you, mother?" Sehun asks, trying to sound indifferent. 

 

Aphrodite shakes her head. She hurries over to him, clings onto his arm and guides him down the stairs. Sehun looks back and he sees the god of war watching them with his jaw clenched. 

 

Aphrodite makes him sit on the couch. She was asking him a lot of questions ranging from "Are you feeling better?" to "Did you really walk all the way here in only pajamas?". 

 

"You're freezing, I'll go and brew some coffee for you. I'll be back in a bit." She gently pats his cheek before scurrying towards the kitchen.

 

Sehun feels confused and unsettled. He knows his relationship with the goddess is not on the best terms at the moment so he can tell that she's acting a bit out of character. Another thing, as far as he can recall the goddess does not approve of Kris but after seeing Ares in her quarters, Jongin's version of their story is starting to make more sense. 

 

Speaking of Ares, said god is currently making his way towards him. Sehun is about to stand up to greet him but the god makes a gesture for him to remain seated. 

 

"You've been with Jongin," Ares says, it is a statement and not a question. 

 

"I'm just… I don't know what to believe or who to believe." Sehun says. 

 

Aphrodite returns from the kitchen and she hands Sehun a mug of coffee. "Ares, there is no stopping them you know?" her expression is sullen. 

 

Ares shrugged before slumping onto one of the couches. "Our kids already despise us, what's more to lose?" 

 

Sehun takes a sip of the coffee before placing the mug back on the coffee table. Aphrodite sits down beside him while Ares is seated across them. Somehow in the back of his mind, he recalls a time where something similar to this happened but he's with Jongin. 

 

"Jongin told me everything." Sehun starts. "But I did not believe him, I assumed he was lying." 

 

Ares is listening closely while Aphrodite has her gaze cast down on the carpeted floor. 

 

"But then I started to feel weird things, I got glimpses of… memories? I don't know. I couldn't find enough reason for him to lie." Sehun looks at his mother. "I even asked him if you were really that cruel to do something like that to me." 

 

The goddess looks at him guiltily and Sehun feels his heart clenching. "I still didn't fully believe him. I told him that if I truly loved him, I wouldn't forget but… I can't stop thinking about how hurt he looked when I said those words." he explains. 

 

"And when he left… I started crying. I felt so empty and I feel like I'm drowning. It felt like a part of my life was missing, like I was stuck in a void and I just can't let it continue on like this." his voice starts wavering. 

 

Before Aphrodite could even answer, something flies in front of them and it catches their attention instantly. 

 

The envelope opens and Sehun blinks in confusion upon seeing himself on the message. Ares stands up and moves beside them to get a better view of the message as well. 

 

Sehun was in his bedroom back in the Underworld in the message. It's weird because Sehun really cannot recall him recording this message. 

 

"Hi mother… you're probably weirded out that I'm giving you this message huh? Well, actually I don't plan to give you this message… at least not yet. Hermes probably gave me an extra one by accident so here I am using it." 

 

Aphrodite glances at him and then back at the message. It was like she couldn't believe that Sehun would even bother to give her one. 

 

"Our first meeting was… horrible and I can tell that our next encounters when I come back won't be nice too. I'm still mad at you and I know you're probably so disappointed with me. If dad was still alive, he would have been so upset because he loves us both so much. But it's just… hard, I guess." 

 

Sehun exhales deeply. It really is upsetting. 

 

"But you know… once all this anger dissipates and once we get over our issues, I really want to fix things with you." Sehun hugs his knees to his chest. "Irene and my other siblings speak highly of you and she said you guided her this whole time and I just want to experience those too. I want to know what it's like to have a mom… you don't have to be with me 24/7 though, I'm an adult and I know having a goddess for a mom is much different but… you are still my mom." 

 

Aphrodite gets teary while Sehun tries to look composed. He cannot recall recording this message but these are all a part of his thoughts. 

 

"Also… I want you to know so much about Jongin." 

 

Sehun's ears perk up at the mention of Jongin's name. 

 

"I know I have humiliated you so much by abusing my powers and using them wrongly and that's how I ended up meeting Jongin in the first place. He was nothing but a target for me at first and I was the same for him but I guess something changed. He's really different and I think… I want to try things with him." Sehun smiles fondly. "We were lying to each other at first but once we revealed our true selves to each other, he's been nothing but a sweetheart to me. I really… like him and we made a promise right before I left." 

 

"I want to be his last… whatever that means." Sehun chuckles. "I'll find out if things between us won't change much once I come back to camp. I just hope that… you'd give us a chance. I know I'll be stubborn and I won't give him up easily, if I really do like him but… I'd be much happier if you'd approve of us eventually." 

 

Sehun is quiet for a moment. "Well… that's all I have to say, I guess. I hope… I really hope that we'd make up in the future, dad would love that and it would be nice to have a mom to be there for me. You're the goddess of love and I am your son, I'm sure love will come naturally for us one of these days." 

 

The moment the video ends, Aphrodite starts sobbing. Sehun wordlessly reaches out for the envelope right before it flies away. He flips it over and he recognizes his own handwriting at the back the address was not his writing though and Sehun could only think of one person that could have possibly sent it. 

 

"Jongin…" He feels his heart aching once again. 

 

He lets go of the envelope and it disappears. Sehun's hands were shaking uncontrollably. He feels so suffocated. 

 

All of a sudden, he feels a pair of arms hugging him. His mother embraces him as she sobs onto his chest. "It's all my fault. It's all my fault. I'm so sorry, Sehun. I am so sorry." she cries.

 

Sehun tries his best to not cry but he feels choked up and tears started streaming down his face. Aphrodite kneels down and Sehun lowers down as well. 

 

"I really… I really tried to stop Eros but it was too late. I wish I didn't let my anger and selfishness get the better of me. You deserve so much better. I'm so sorry, my love." Aphrodite says as she wipes his tears away. 

 

"I want to fix everything mother. Please tell me it isn't too late." Sehun sniffles. "I don't want to live a lie for the rest of my life." he turns towards Ares. "I don't want to hurt Jongin anymore. Please." 

 

"If Dite or I use our powers on you, it might hurt you. It's dangerous." Ares explains. 

 

"What about Eros?" Sehun asks. 

 

"If you take another arrow, it might harm you too. You might lose your memories for good or you could get physically hurt this time." Aphrodite frowns. 

 

Sehun sighs. "If that happens, take that guilt and let it serve as a lesson for everything." he smiles bitterly. 

 

Aphrodite sobs once again and hugs him. "I'll let you decide this time. If Eros does not listen, come back to Ares and I. Believe it or not, we've been trying to figure out a solution as well. 

 

"I'll come back then if it happens." Sehun says as he wipes away the last of his tears. "But you two owe Jongin an apology, he suffered too much already. And we're not yet done with our talk too, parents or not, you two should be punished for what you put us through." 

 

Sehun bows at the two of them before getting up and leaving. The god and goddess watch in awe as he left. Once he's gone, Aphrodite chuckles bitterly. 

 

"I'm so stupid Ares." She says. "Look at him, whether he's in love or not, I still see a rightful heir in him. Why did I think that his love for Jongin would make him any less worthy?" 

 

"I guess the same would apply for Jongin." Ares sighed deeply. "They're as stubborn as us." 

 

"But wiser and braver." Aphrodite adds. "Much wiser." 

 

Ares takes her hand and the goddess slowly gets up. "Come, we must report this to the higher ups." he tells her.

 

Aphrodite nods. "We must." 




 

Sehun feels nauseous as he looks for Eros' quarters. His memories all feel mixed up and he feels like throwing up but he doesn't have the time for that. He should have asked Aphrodite for directions before storming off of her quarters like a brat that knows what he's doing. 

 

Thankfully, he spots the symbol for Eros and he knocks repeatedly onto the door. His servant opens it and the man greets him. 

 

"Master Eros is not home." the servant says.

 

"Where is he?" Sehun asks. 

 

"He went to the throne room to meet with the Olympians, you are not the only one that visited him." 

 

Jongin came here earlier. If Eros is meeting with the Olympians then it means that he's going to make a report about Jongin attacking him earlier. 

 

Sehun curses under his breath. "I need to look for something, please let me in." he says instead. 

 

"You may wait for my master instead, I am not allowed to let anyone in." the servant says. 

 

Sehun leans against the threshold and smiles at the servant. "It won't take long, let me in please?" 

 

The servant blushes and nods immediately. "Please be quick." he blabbers. 

 

Sehun mentally promises himself that that's the last time he will use his charm for the day. He looks through different rooms and Sehun even traumatized himself when he sees a supposedly private room but what else can he expect from the god of love? Luckily, Sehun finally spots the room where Eros keeps his bow and arrow. Sehun takes one arrow and breaks the rest, including the bow itself. Eros can still ask Hephaestus to fix these though but Sehun supposes that Eros deserves the trouble too. 

 

Once he's done, he sprints out of the mansion. The servant snaps out of his charm and yells at him to come back right after seeing the arrow in Sehun's hand but he ignores him. 

 

Sehun runs past the gates and Shownu even calls for him since he looks really suspicious but Sehun didn't stop. His feet were starting to hurt but he still makes his way towards Jongin's cabin. 

 

Sehun probably looks like a trainwreck when he arrives at the cabin. Two of Jongin's siblings were already awake and both were looking at him like he's some sort of alien. 

 

"I need to… see Jongin." he said in between pants.

 

"You're not planning on murdering him or anything right?" one of them asks as he points at the arrow that Sehun is holding. 

 

Sehun abruptly shakes his head. "It's not what it looks like. I just---please, it's an emergency." 

 

Jongin's siblings still look doubtful but luckily, Chaelin shows up. "Hey, let him in. He's Jongin's boyfriend." she spat.

 

Boyfriend… Sehun is such an idiot for not believing him. He thanks Chaelin while she simply winks. She probably has no idea about their complicated situation at the moment but she doesn't have to know. 

 

Sehun is just about to knock on Jongin's bedroom door when the other opens it right on time. Sehun finds himself face to face with the son of Ares. 

 

"I thought I sensed you coming… why?" Jongin asks, voice a bit hoarse. 

 

Sehun also notices how Jongin's eyes look a bit red and how tired he looks. He has never seen the son of the god of war looking this weak before and it hurts him because he knows this is his fault. 

 

Jongin's eyes fall onto the arrow on Sehun's hand. He tells Sehun to come in and Sehun takes the initiative to lock the door just to make sure no one disturbs them. 

 

"Sehun, what's going on?" Jongin asks. 

 

"When you left, I felt so uneasy and I thought I should figure things out on my own so I talked to our parents." Sehun starts. 

 

Jongin's eyes widen. "But I just--" 

 

"You sent my letter to my mother while I was with them." Sehun tells him. "I was a fool for not believing you Jongin. I'm sorry for hurting you." 

 

He sees the hope coming back in Jongin's eyes once again. "So do you remember? Did you get your memories back? What was in the letter? What did your mother say?"

 

"I don't remember. Not yet. It's a long story but my mother apologized for everything and your father looks regretful too. The only problem now is how I'm going to get my memories back." Sehun explains. 

 

"But I do see glimpses of you in my memories Jongin. I'm sorry for being weak. I'm sorry for even thinking that I am not in love with you." he adds.

 

"No, no… Don't apologize. What's important is that you know the truth now. We just have to get those memories back. Will your mother bring them back? Or Eros?" 

 

"My mother won't take the risk yet while Eros was not in his quarters. My mother said that if she used her powers to force my memories back, it might hurt me or I might lose my memories for good. As for Eros, I stole one of his arrows… perhaps getting shot again and seeing you instead might work." Sehun says.

 

The hopeful smile on Jongin's face is replaced with a concerned frown instead. Jongin gently takes the arrow from his hand and drops it onto the floor. Sehun looks at him in confusion and Jongin gives him a sad smile this time. 

 

"I won't risk it." he whispers. 

 

"What? Why? It might be a way to get my memories back." Sehun asks. 

 

Jongin gently cups his face and runs his fingers through the messy hair that's covering Sehun's tear stained face. "I don't want you hurt." 

 

Sehun pouts at that. "But don't you want me to get my memories back?" 

 

"I do, I really do." Jongin quickly answers. "I want you to remember how much you love me. I want you to remember our first night together, I want you to remember when you told me you love me. Gosh, I really do but if it will put you at risk then I'd rather not." 

 

"But what if we really have to risk something to get those memories back? You made sacrifices for me Jongin, I would do the same for you." Sehun pleads. 

 

"Sehun," Jongin looks at him lovingly. "You already did. And I can't ask too much from you anymore. Those memories, I can always recall them for you but if I lose you… then there is no point." 

 

"So what… you'd rather have a boyfriend that can't even remember that he loves you? Will you be happy like that?" Sehun asks, teary eyed. 

 

Jongin suddenly smiles, he gently grabs Sehun's chin and tilts his face to the side so that they were facing the mirror on the side. Sehun's mouth gapes in shock when he sees their reflection---his eyes were glowing in different colors. 

 

"You haven't forgotten that you love me." Jongin says. "With or without your memories, deep down your heart knows that I am still your greatest love." 

 

Sehun chokes on a sob, he should have no more tears left by now but it's really hard. "I'm sorry. We'll find a way. I don't want to hurt you anymore." 

 

"Hey," Jongin calls gently. "I'm not hurting anymore, I swear. It's not the end, we can always make new memories." 

 

Sehun snivels as he wipes his tears on the sleeve of his shirt. "I just wish that I was able to do more for you. I can't keep doing this to you." 

 

Jongin clears his throat and Sehun swears the other is about to cry as well. "For goddess' sakes Sehun, you went to the Underworld on your own and owned the place, you defended me in front of the gods and goddesses, you confronted our parents numerous times, you jumped off of a treehouse because you trust me wholeheartedly and now you even stole an arrow arrow from Eros just so you could get your memories back just for me." Jongin rests his forehead against his, their almost the same heights makes it perfect to do this. "Most of all, you fell in love with me. Being your greatest love is the best thing you could ever give me." 

 

Sehun smiles as he drapes his arms over Jongin's shoulders. "Are you really sure about this? I still have the vial, we can try that too." he asks. 

 

Jongin shakes his head. "No need, we'll be fine. I'm fine like this. We'll do it slowly, until you remember everything." 

 

"Really?" 

 

Jongin connects their lips. "Really." 

 

When Sehun looks into Jongin's eyes, he could see his own being reflected in them. They were changing in different colors. 

 

Trust. That has always been what they assured each other, at least that was what Jongin told him but Sehun has no doubts anymore. 

 

If Jongin says they'll be fine, he will trust him. Perhaps Sehun might get his memories back someday. At least now, Sehun's heart is in the right place. 

 

"You're my last." Sehun suddenly says. 

 

Jongin's face lights up with joy. The son of Ares kisses him again but a bit longer this time and Sehun can't help but melt at how familiar his lips feel. They must have kissed a lot. 

 

Jongin smiles, eyes full of love. "You're my last too."