fifteen.

Game of Deception

Sehun feels like a lost puppy as he trailed behind Kris. Mavros was right beside him while Noir is behind him. Kris was leading him towards an unfamiliar area in the mansion.

 

"This is where I used to sneak out when I was younger." Kris says.

 

After going through a long hallway and a flight of stairs, they enter a room. Kris opens a window that was high up and easily travels up using the darkness. He reaches a hand out and he easily pulls Sehun up.

 

Sehun looks puzzled since the son of Hades did it so effortlessly. "You're like a feather." Kris teases.

 

Mavros and Noir follow them and Kris closes the window. They were already outside and Sehun took the time to appreciate the place.

 

The fear he had when he arrived with Charon was now gone. The sky was in a dark shade of purple. The lawn in front of the mansion looked scary and terrifying but behind it was a beautiful garden.

 

The garden was huge. Sehun sees different kinds of flowers growing and there were fruits and vegetables as well. "This place is beautiful." Sehun says.

 

"Mom likes to maintain it." Kris says. Persephone is the daughter of Demeter, after all.

 

"Why not do it to the whole lawn?" Sehun asks.

 

"Well the mansion won't look like the house of Hades if you see it like this, will it?" Kris arches an eyebrow at him.

 

Sehun snorts. "It's for the aesthetic, I get it."

 

"Dad loves mom so much so he allowed her to do whatever she wanted to in this area." Kris narrates.

 

"Sometimes I forget that you're not a demigod like me." Sehun sighs. He found out about it when he was training. He assumed Kris' mother was a mortal, completely forgetting the fact that Hades is loyal to Persephone.

 

"Is that a compliment?" Kris asks.

 

"Well you're a god." Sehun shrugs. "And so far you're the nicest god I've met."

 

"No one has ever called me nice before… Well except my mother, I guess." Kris chuckles.

 

"I thought you were an to be honest." Sehun says as they walked around in Persephone's garden. "I'm not sure if it's out of pity but you're a lot nicer to me now."

 

"It's not pity, you simply earned my respect." Kris says.

 

Sehun smiles. "All because I hit you with my knee?"

 

Kris laughs. "I think it's because you used your charm on me."

 

Sehun laughs as well. "Hey, I only used that when you told me to."

 

"Anyways, where do you want to go first for your tour?" Kris asks. "It won't be too long till dad finds out I snuck you out so choose quick."

 

"Fields of Mourning." Sehun answers.

 

Kris an eyebrow at him. "Others normally go with the Elysian fields. Why would you want to go to the Fields of Mourning?"

 

"I want to see the Elysian fields last. I want to experience the places here from worst to best. I remember studying about this when I was in high school so I want to make the most of this experience."

 

"Wow, among all the souls that are brought here you are probably the most excited about hell." Kris chuckles.

 

"Hell has been so much nicer to me than Olympus." Sehun grins. "So let's start that tour, yeah?"

 

"Should I sweep you off your feet or do you prefer to be carried on my back?" Kris suddenly asks.

 

"What?"

 

"We're travelling through the darkness, Snow White. I'm not going to let you walk around this place." Kris explains.

 

"Is there no other way?" Sehun whines.

 

"I can take you back to your room, if you want."

 

Sehun rolls his eyes before stepping behind Kris. "Is this really necessary?"

 

"Hold on tight." Kris tells him. Mavros and Noir both bark at him. Sehun grunts before draping his arms around the taller's neck.

 

It was all too sudden for Sehun. The moment Sehun got to hold onto him, Kris suddenly launches that he ends up yelping.

 

It was far different from his quick roller coaster like ride to Olympus because this trip is a bit longer. He feels the cool breeze of the wind against his skin and everything around him is a blur. For one moment, Kris slows down and he sees the view of the Underworld from high up. Sehun would have appreciated the view if Kris didn't dive down suddenly.

 

Sehun's legs were wobbly by the time they landed back on the ground. Mavros and Noir land just right after they do. Kris looks at him in amusement.

 

"That's not even full speed." Kris points out.

 

"Thanks for the consideration." Sehun sarcastically remarks.

 

"No prob." Kris shrugs.

 

Sehun was about to make another sassy remark when he flinches upon hearing the eerie sound of crying. There were a few hellhounds guarding the entrance but they passed by without any problems because of Kris.

 

At first glance, it looks like a normal wide field with green meadows that looked endless. There were flowers growing around the area too.

 

"Aren't these daffodils?" Sehun asks as he looks at one flower. It definitely looks like a daffodil but instead of its usual yellow color, the daffodils here were black. "Why is it black? The other flowers at your mom's garden look fine."

 

"Ever heard of the flower language?" Kris asks. Sehun nods, he knows because he tried working part time at his aunt's flower shop before--that was way before he started working at bars. "What do daffodils mean?"

 

Sehun thinks for a while. "Chivalry. But I think it also means unrequited love."

 

"Exactly. These fields are for those souls that wasted their lives on unrequited love." Kris explains.

 

Sehun actually sees the souls that were roaming around the fields. Some were walking around aimlessly, some are crying while some just look so lost.

 

Sehun feels a pang in his heart. He is the son of the goddess of love. He is born with the ability to make people love him whether it's by will or by force. Even though he hates the unwanted affection sometimes from others, he still cannot imagine suffering from unrequited love.

 

"It must be painful." Sehun muses. "Dedicating your life to someone that doesn't love you back, I mean."

 

"It's their pain that got them here." Kris replies.

 

"Will they forever be stuck in here?" Sehun asks.

 

"I believe so," Kris answers. "No soul has ever gotten out of here."

 

"What if it wasn't unrequited love all along?" Sehun asks again.

 

"It doesn't matter, if they never acted upon it when they were alive, the pain will still be there." Kris explains. "Want to know something upsetting?"

 

"Well this is the Underworld, what else could be more upsetting?" Sehun gives him a small smile.

 

"There are souls here that loved each other all along. But since they both did not act upon their actions when they were alive, they both thought their love was unrequited until death." Kris narrates.

 

Sehun frowns upon hearing that. "That's… truly unfortunate."

 

Kris nods. "Yeah, those souls could have gotten what they wanted this whole time. All they had to do was be honest about their feelings."

 

Sehun heaves a sigh. "Well that's it for the Fields of Mourning, this place is depressing."

 

Kris chuckles. "I don't even know why you bothered to check this place out. Anyways grab on, Asphodel is next."

 

With that, Sehun holds onto Kris once again and they leave the gloomy fields. Sehun was a lot more prepared this time when Kris launches off. It did not take long until they land on a different area once again.

 

The Asphodel Meadows look much better than the Fields of Mourning. Looking at the place felt like he was stuck in a dream. Just like the previous place, there were also souls roaming around but this time they weren't as gloomy as before. The souls in the place look indifferent and dull. The place was beautiful though, with trees and plants around and there were blooming flowers as well.

 

"These are the souls that are ordinary. They haven't achieved greatness but they aren't worthy of punishment either." Kris says as he starts walking. Sehun follows him.

 

"What does it take for one to achieve greatness? To be worthy?" Sehun asks.

 

"Well most humans think it takes something grand or heroic when simply being kind hearted will do the trick. Maintaining a good life makes you worthy to be in the Elysian fields." Kris answers.

 

"What do you think of me?" Sehun suddenly asks. Kris an eyebrow at him in question. "I am sure you've read the files about me, what was your first impression?"

 

"I left the file reading to my father actually." Kris shrugs. "I simply knew you were coming but all I knew was your violation. I heard that you're a thief, a liar and that you even disrespected the gods in Olympus."

 

Sehun winces because they were somewhat true. "I guess I can't deny those but I had my reasons. I am not as bad as my reputation makes me to be."

 

"I know," Kris smiles. "I am an excellent judge of character and I can tell that you are a good person, Sehun."

 

"Thanks, I wish the people at camp and Olympus could say the same."

 

"It really seems like you had a tough time up there huh?" Kris asks.

 

"Yeah, but it's not that bad since I had someone to defend me at least. Everything would have been without him." Sehun cringes.

 

"Is that someone the one you sent a message to earlier?"

 

"Ah no, not him. Donghae is my best friend since I was on Earth. Jongin though, he's the one that brought me to camp." Sehun explains.

 

"The son of Ares." Kris nods. "He was the one that captured you yet you talk so fondly about him."

 

"Let's just say that it's a long story." Sehun chuckles.

 

"I'd like to hear it someday." Kris smirks.

 

"Please, it's a story of how I failed. There's not much to tell."

 

"Still, I am curious on how a person who never got caught actually got caught for the first time. It must have been a crazy journey." Kris muses.

 

"Crazy it is." Sehun agrees. "But you know… there's still more to it. It feels like it's been cut off too soon."

 

"You miss him." Kris concludes.

 

"I do not." he denies.

 

"Bull, I heard your sappy message to your best friend. You talked about that Jongin guy more than you did about him."

 

Sehun's face flushes in embarrassment. "I-I did?"

 

"Indeed Snow White but so much for that," Kris faces him. "Do you want to stay here longer or do you want to go somewhere else now for our tour?"

 

"Are you allowed to take me to the Elysian Fields this soon?" Sehun asks him.

 

"I don't even think I'm allowed to take you anywhere." Kris scratches his head. "I sneaked you out for a reason."

 

As if on cue, the ground suddenly began shaking and Sehun hears rapid footsteps approaching. Sehun looks at Kris in worry. The son of Hades has an unreadable expression on his face.

 

"," he curses.

 

As the footsteps got louder, Cerberus starts to come into view. All three heads of the massive dog bare their sharp teeth at Sehun. Even the snakes on the dog's back all hiss at the son of Aphrodite.

 

Mavros and Noir both stand beside Sehun protectively but when Cerberus suddenly barks, the two dogs whimper and step back.

 

"Cerberus stop it." Kris commands.

 

Cerberus looks at Kris but still remained glaring at Sehun.

 

A few seconds later, another figure appears in front of Sehun. It was a dark shadow at first but the shadow transforms into Hades. The god looks at Kris first then at Sehun. He didn't look furious but there was disappointment in his eyes.

 

"I believe you did not ask permission regarding this." Hades starts.

 

Sehun was about to speak but Kris beats him to it. "I just thought I'd show him around, dad. He's been stuck in the mansion since he arrived." he explains.

 

Hades doesn't react but instead, he looks towards Sehun with a scrutinizing stare that made him squirm. "Is that the truth, Sehun?"

 

Sehun knows better than to lie to the god of the Underworld.

 

"No," he shakes his head. "I asked Kris for this favor, I wanted to go outside and to see the different places here. Kris just took me out." he explains.

 

Hades gives his son an unimpressed look for lying while Sehun simply gives him an apologetic glance.

 

"We had no bad intentions, dad. Sehun just wants to learn more about your kingdom. It's not his fault." Kris defends.

 

"I know you both don't have bad intentions but…" Hades pinches the bridge of his nose. "I have full responsibility over Sehun while he's staying here so if he gets hurt or scarred for life it's all on me."

 

"I wasn't planning on taking him to Tartarus." Kris grumbles.

 

"That isn't the point. What if he fell while you're both travelling through the darkness? What if he gets taken by rogue souls? What if he eats fruit from the plants here and ends up getting stuck in the Underworld forever?"

 

Sehun and Kris both wince since Hades made his point.

 

"I should have known better." Sehun speaks up. "I'll take responsibility for this, I was sent here as punishment but instead I treated it like a vacation. I apologize."

 

Sehun thought he said something wrong but Hades simply pats his head gently. Sehun's eyes widen at the gentleness of the god's touch.

 

"I'm not mad, I was the one that told you to treat it like a vacation in the first place. Ask for permission next time, I'd allow you as long as you are with Kris."

 

"Which is why I'm with him right now." Kris scoffs.

 

"That's different, young man. You have no permission this time." Hades remarks while Kris simply rolls his eyes at him, much to the god's chagrin.

 

That was when Sehun smiles. "Why are you smiling kid? You just got scolded." Hades asks.

 

"Why were you always portrayed as the bad god in books? It is all so misleading." Sehun wonders.

 

"Don't push your luck kid, I can be the monster that I was described as in those books. The gods at Olympus just happen to be actual asshats. Zeus and Poseidon are glorified so much but they're far worse than I am." Hades whispers the last part.

 

"Well you're the only god that doesn't have like thousands of demigod kids running around." Sehun shrugs. "That alone already says a lot."

 

"I like this kid, Kris." Hades chuckles in amusement.

 

"Are we no longer in trouble then?" Kris asks.

 

"I'll still need to report this incident." Hades answers. "But since we are already outside, we might as well take him to the Elysian Fields as well."

 

Kris and Sehun exchanged excited smiles. "Kris, if you drop him, I will also drop you at Tartarus." Hades threatens.

 

"He holds on pretty tightly dad." Kris teases.


 

They all left for the Elysian Fields right after that. Sehun looks down to see Cerberus running quickly after them.

 

Sehun thought the Asphodel Meadows were already beautiful but that place is nothing compared to him arriving at the Elysian Fields. The place truly looks like paradise. The souls roaming this time don't look dull and lifeless but instead, they're very much alive and enjoying their stay.

 

"I want to show you something." Hades says.

 

Kris, Sehun and the hounds follow after him. Sehun expected the souls to look afraid of Hades but instead they greeted him. Some even call him king.

 

When Hades suddenly stops, Sehun wants to ask him why but he was rendered speechless when he sees an all too familiar soul not far from where they stood.

 

"Dad…" Sehun's voice breaks when he sees his father.

 

"I cannot allow you to interact with the souls but I suppose you at least wanted to see him. He lived a good life, that's why he is here. He is happy and at peace." Hades says.

 

Sehun couldn't help it. He couldn't hold back the sobs. That was when he ran towards Hades to hug him. Kris was about to stop him but the god simply gestured that it was alright.

 

"Thank you." Sehun whispers.

 

The god of the Underworld smiles fondly at him. "Come on, let's take you back to the mansion."






 

Jongin was busy giving instructions to the new recruits at camp when he sees Baekhyun hurriedly approaching their training area.

 

"Hey, is something up?" Jongin asks.

 

Baekhyun catches his breath first. "Hermes received a message from Hades, it's probably about Sehun."

 

"What did it say?" Jongin asks.

 

"No idea, Hermes just contacted me and I just hurried here because I thought you'd want to know. Let's go and meet him." Baekhyun pants. "Are you busy?"

 

Jongin simply looks at his sisters. "Go, we got this covered." Chaelin waves him off. Jongin quickly thanks her and goes after Baekhyun.

 

They hurriedly go to Irene's cabin to get changed. They pass by the gates and they meet up with Hermes at his quarters. What Jongin didn't expect was that he'd see Aphrodite in the quarters as well.

 

Both Jongin and Baekhyun stiffen before greeting the two. Hermes looks stressed out while Aphrodite looks pissed, Jongin cannot recall a time when the goddess isn't pissed whenever he is around.

 

"Didn't I tell you to stay away from anything regarding my son?" Aphrodite asks.

 

"I'll reprimand him later, let's just get to the matter at hand, shall we?" Hermes interrupts.

 

"Is Sehun alright?" Baekhyun asks as they uneasily approach the god and goddess.

 

"He's alright, just in trouble." Hermes responds. "Seems like he snuck out with the son of Hades. The kid is touring hell like it's a tourist spot."

 

"I sent him there for punishment, not for a vacation." Aphrodite grits.

 

"Well Hades only reported about him breaking that rule about not asking permission from him but he is behaving well. Hades only reported about the incident for you." Hermes tells the goddess.

 

"Sehun actually sent a message to Donghae yesterday. In there we saw the son of Hades talking to him. He was the one that snuck Sehun out." Baekhyun explains.

 

"So he's after a son of Hades this time? Is he even learning anything?" Aphrodite scoffs.

 

"They might be friends." Hermes reasons.

 

"The son of Eros is also his friend but they fooled around a lot." Aphrodite retorts. "Should I tell Hades to keep his son away from him too?"

 

"You don't know Sehun." Jongin speaks up.

 

Aphrodite glares at him while Baekhyun and Hermes both look at him with wide eyes. "You dare to speak back to a goddess?" she seethes.

 

"No," Jongin sighs. "I dare to defend your own son from your accusations." he says.

 

"Jongin stop--" Baekhyun interferes.

 

"No, I just want Sehun's mother to know that her son isn't as low as she thinks he is. You know, you could have used the moment to get to know him more since he's been away from you his whole life but what did you do? You gave him a punishment that he doesn't deserve and tossed him in the Underworld like he's a criminal." Jongin had his fists clenched and he was staring right into the goddess' eyes.

 

" How dare you!" Aphrodite snarls.

 

"Feel free to give me punishment. I'd love to spend time in the Underworld too, perhaps I'd keep your son company." Jongin provokes.

 

"Enough of this!" Hermes stands up. "Jongin, you crossed a line and I'll see to it that your father finds out about this."

 

Jongin takes a deep breath to calm himself down. "Noted," he mutters.

 

"You're both dismissed. Baekhyun, please don't bring Jongin next time. His mission is done. We don't need him to monitor Sehun anymore." Hermes tells them.

 

Baekhyun simply drags Jongin away before he could say anything offensive once again.

 

"You are such a ! Why did you do that?!" Baekhyun exclaims as soon as they were out of the quarters.

 

"What? I am sick of people badmouthing Sehun. Hearing it from his own mother just annoys me even more." Jongin hisses.

 

"I understand you but provoking Madame Aphro will only make things worse. You are already on her bad side and so is Sehun. We cannot make things worse for Sehun when he returns here." Baekhyun calmly explains.

 

"I just think it's unfair, Baekhyun." Jongin sighs in frustration. "Madame Aphro is only giving both Sehun and I a hard time because of her past with my father. She can't take it out on us."

 

"Well she already is." Baekhyun shrugs. "Which is why you should be nicer. Pacify things with the goddess otherwise you can kiss Sehun goodbye."

 

"I still can't believe that she hates me simply because I am her ex lover's son." Jongin rolls his eyes. "It's not my fault that Ares and Aphrodite's relationship didn't work out." he scoffs.

 

"So you're ranting about my past relationships now, huh?"

 

Baekhyun gulps while Jongin flinches. A man wearing an expensive looking suit approaches them. His hair was slicked back and he had sunglasses on.

 

"Oh ," Jongin curses under his breath.

 

The man walks towards them. He claps Baekhyun's shoulder while he drapes an arm around Jongin's shoulders.

 

Jongin tenses because his father isn't supposed to be back yet. He's supposed to return in three days, not now.

 

"It's been a while, is that the proper way to greet your father?" Ares smirks.

 

 

________

So what chaotic evebt do you think would happen next once Aphrodite and Ares meet? Hmmmm.