fourteen.

Game of Deception

Sehun grunts as he ends up on his knees once again. He hears another disinterested sigh from Kris.

 

“Pay attention. Use your other senses to find where I’m coming from.” Kris reminds.

 

“I’m trying, okay? But it’s just a bit overwhelming.” Sehun says as he gets up.

 

“You still can’t sense it, can you?”

 

Sehun purses his lips. “Sorry.”

 

He feels a hand on the back of his neck. He was suddenly tugged forward and he crashes onto Kris’ chest.

 

“Uh… What?” Sehun asks.

 

“I’m sure the son of Ares used the same trick on you. Focus.” Kris mutters.

 

His face was practically buried onto Kris’ neck. The taller’s hand by his nape kept him in place. All of a sudden he suddenly feels it… that same feeling that made his knees tremble before. He instinctively held onto Kris’ arms.

 

“How do you counter this?” Kris asks. He wasn’t expecting an answer, he wants Sehun to do it instead.

 

Kris and Jongin’s powers were somewhat similar. The only difference is that Kris’ pheromones envelop him with fear while Jongin’s make him want to submit and surrender. Sehun focuses on using his powers but this time he does it wordlessly. No pleads, no sultry looks only a subtle caress on the taller’s arm.

 

Kris flinches back like he was suddenly electrocuted. “Oh crap, I underestimated you a bit.” he chuckles.

 

Sehun tilts his head in confusion. “My powers barely worked on Jongin though.”

 

“He had pills and he has more self-restraint since he’s a son of Ares.” Kris explains.

 

“I never asked this but how exactly do my pheromones make my target feel?”

 

“Well…” Sehun turns his head because he could tell that Kris is already moving around. “It makes me want to give you whatever you want.”

 

Sehun nods. That’s exactly how his powers worked. Whenever he combines that with Donghae's pheromones, he’s basically -on-legs, as Donghae likes to call him.

 

“Will you do it then? Give me whatever I want?” Sehun asks.

 

“Land a punch on me first.” Kris snickers.

 

The whole training area was dark, it would be easier and faster for Kris to move around which means that it’s a clear disadvantage for Sehun. He focuses more on what he can hear and he tried following Kris’ movements through his pheromones.

 

When he senses that Kris was creeping behind him, he quickly spins and successfully knees him in the gut.

 

“ing hell, I told you to punch me.” Kris groans.

 

Sehun pulls down the blindfold and he sees the son of Hades wincing. “I’m sorry, I moved by instinct.” he giggles.

 

The two hellhounds that were also in the chambers scramble off to Kris’ sides to bare their sharp teeth in front of Sehun.

 

Kris was quick to pat both Mavros and Noir to calm them down. “You two have to admit, that was a good one, right?” he asks the hounds.

 

The hellhounds calm down and sit instead. Sehun smiles in relief. “Can I pet them once they get more fond of me?”

 

Kris smirks before muttering out a hushed command and before Sehun knows it both Mavros and Noir pounce on him. The hellhounds were huge and heavy, he lets out an unattractive squawk before he ends up falling back with a loud thud.

 

“ that hurt.” Sehun groans. Noir suddenly his cheek while Mavros was sniffing him. “What did you tell them?”

 

“I told him you were their lunch.”

 

“What?!”

 

Kris laughs. “I’m kidding, I told them that you’re a friend and that they should apologize for being mean to you.”

 

“So this is their way of making it up to me?” Sehun asks.

 

The hellhounds step off of him so he sits up, he winces because his fall was not that smooth. Both hounds were looking at him expectantly and it’s the first time that Sehun sees their tails wagging. It’s cute, Sehun thinks. He and Donghae once donated some cash to an animal shelter. They once spent a whole afternoon playing with the dogs there. Mavros and Noir were definitely not normal dogs though, they’re really huge. They’re like two humongous black wolves. He was lucky that he didn’t break his back when he fell earlier.

 

“You’re supposed to pet them.” Kris points out.

 

Sehun reaches out a hand to pat Mavros first then Noir. They both huff before his face once again. Kris laughs and tells him that he smells like dog spit.

 

“How are your hair and that damn makeup still perfect despite all that?” Kris whines.

 

“Aphrodite’s blessing. I’m stuck like this for four more days. After that you’ll see the normal me.” he shrugs.

 

“Damn, I can’t wait for your normal form. You’re too sparkly and pretty for this place with the way you look right now.”

 

“Too sparkly?”

 

“It’s a compliment, Snow White.”

 

Sehun rolls his eyes at the son of Hades. “Anyways, will you give me whatever I want for successfully knocking you down?” he asks.

 

“It was supposed to be a punch but fine, what do you want?”

 

“A tour outside except for Tartarus. Please?”

 

“Normally, you’re supposed to be scared to go outside.” Kris states.

 

“I’d like to enjoy hell to distract myself.”

 

Kris gives him an amused smile. “If you insist, but before that put that blindfold back on because we’re not yet done here.”

 

Sehun smiles excitedly before adjusting the cloth to cover his eyes once again. At least Kris has warmed up to him now and the same goes for Mavros and Noir. Maybe staying at the Underworld isn’t bad after all.




 

Jongin has truly gotten used to Sehun being with him in mornings to the point that he groaned out in frustration when one of his sisters woke him up.

 

His sister, Hwasa rolls her eyes at him. “Well excuse me if I’m not some attractive kid of Aphrodite, brother.” she spat.

 

"It's too early for your sass. What's with the wake up call?" he asks with a yawn.

 

"Dad sent a message." Hwasa answers.

 

Jongin rubs the sleep off his eyes and sits up upon hearing that. "Yeah? What did he say?"

 

"He heard about your incident at Olympus the other day." Hwasa answers. "He'll pay a visit soon to talk to you. In the meantime, he wants you to train some newbies that arrived at camp."

 

"Incident? I did nothing wrong." Jongin scoffs.

 

"Oh please," Hwasa rolls her eyes. "Dad knows that you've fraternized with almost every son and daughter of Madame Aphro. You know how he feels about anything related to her. "

 

Jongin ruffles his hair in frustration. "Whatever, I have nothing better to do anyways since my mission is over so he can talk to me once he comes."

 

Hwasa gives him an interested look. "So I heard you caused quite a scene with the new kid."

 

"It's none of your business." Jongin gets up from his bed.

 

"I saw his pictures, he's pretty." she comments.

 

"Pictures? Where did you get pictures?" Jongin scoffs.

 

"Some kids of Hermes followed you around when you were with him. You know how some of them are." she shrugs.

 

Some children of Hermes are like the paparazzi of the demigod world. Their father is the messenger of the gods and the god of thieves, Jongin can't stand most of them. Jiyong and Top are examples.

 

"There were also news about you sleeping with the new kid, does madame Aphro know?"

 

Jongin looks at her in disbelief. "Don't people have anything else to talk about? Sehun has been the hot topic in camp for weeks now."

 

"Well you two made quite the buzz. You know how many wanted to be sent on the mission to capture him but you were the one chosen. He's very attractive too, possibly Madame Aphro's prettiest kid. People would line up for him once he returns to camp."

 

Jongin clenches his jaw in annoyance. Sehun would dislike this so much. "He is a person, not some attraction." he mutters.

 

"Do you like him?" Hwasa bluntly asks.

 

"Why do you have so many questions?" Jongin complains.

 

His sister shrugs. "It's better to show your advantages earlier, you know? If he's already yours, make it clear. Unless competition thrills you."

 

Jongin simply pushes her out of his room. "If I ever hear you or anyone else talking about him like he's some kind of possession, I will not hesitate to kick your ."

 

He simply hears Hwasa laughing when he closes his bedroom door. "Damn brother, you've fallen for his charm."

 

Jongin heaves a sigh. "It's not the charm." He thinks before proceeding into the bathroom.




 

Jongin spent the morning with two of his sisters, Hwasa and his elder sister, Chaelin. The three of them were assigned to meet the 'new arrivals' at camp.

 

Jongin simply orients them and gives them a few pointers about what to expect for their training. The new demigods were a few years younger than him. Most were children of Zeus and Poseidon.

 

"This is why I never believed it when Zeus and Poseidon say they're busy with work." Chaelin snorts.

 

Jongin and Hwasa laugh in agreement. Hwasa dismisses them and tells them to go meet their siblings and get used to the camp first. Training will start in three days.

 

"Is there anything else left to do? I need to meet with Baekhyun today." Jongin asks his sisters.

 

"We have to sort through their profiles to see what kind of training would be appropriate but you can leave that to us." Chaelin says.

 

"Thanks, I'll be going now." Jongin smiles.




 

Jongin heads over to Chanyeol's cabin. He sees the son of Hephaestus waiting outside. "Took you long enough, I was supposed to meet up with Baekhyun an hour ago." Chanyeol says.

 

"Sorry, my father gave me new orders already." Jongin explains.

 

"Well you do need a distraction." Chanyeol knowingly says. "Let's go."

 

Jongin and Chanyeol arrive at the library at camp. Baekhyun told Chanyeol that Donghae would be doing his community service here for the day.

 

They see Baekhyun seated at the reading area while they catch a glimpse of Donghae arranging a cart full of books. Chanyeol sneaks up behind his boyfriend before pecking his cheek lovingly while Jongin simply takes a seat in front of him.

 

"How is he?" Jongin asks.

 

"He copes up well. He stopped complaining since yesterday, he's a bit gloomy though. He probably misses Sehun." Baekhyun says.

 

"He's not the only one that misses the pretty boy." Chanyeol comments.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol both smirk. "Don't start," Jongin scoffs.

 

"Oh come on, it's written all over your face." Baekhyun states. "Since when did you look so lovesick?"

 

Jongin snorts at his ridiculous remark. "Lovesick?"

 

Baekhyun closes the book he's reading and looks at Jongin thoughtfully. "I've known you for years and this is the first time I've seen that look on you. You dated several kids of Aphrodite yet somehow you treated Sehun differently."

 

Jongin is actually interested in this. Baekhyun might joke around a lot, especially whenever he's with Chanyeol but the son of Athena has always been honest with him.

 

"Do tell me more." Jongin encourages.

 

"Well I had my suspicions when I had that phone call with you and Hermes interrupted. I said some rude things during that time too and Hermes made it worse. You defended Sehun during that time." Baekhyun starts. "Next was when you defended him from Hermes when he just arrived at camp. Then you also defended him from Aphrodite and you spoke against the gods just for him. Lastly, your whole dramatic statement of ' I'm your last' puts the cherry on top."

 

Chanyeol snickers at this. "I had the same suspicions whenever we call each other too. I was convinced that it's the charm working back then."

 

Jongin couldn't counter any of that. He simply nods quietly and thinks deeply. "Love, like, dating, relationships… I never took any of that seriously before. I'm honestly a bit frustrated right now because I only went after Madame Aphro's children, I can't tell if it was the charm working or if I truly felt something."

 

"You used pills against Sehun and you spent days when he has restrainers on." Chanyeol points out.

 

"It's still not enough, we haven't been together long enough. There's so much more to know about him but that opportunity was taken away the moment that he was sent to the underworld." Jongin explains.

 

"It's not like he'll be there forever. He'll be back here in no time." Baekhyun says.

 

"Madame Aphro hates me and she is on bad terms with Sehun too. She will keep us apart." Jongin winces.

 

"Ooh, forbidden love." Chanyeol whistles.

 

"I don't love." Jongin corrects.

 

"Yet." Baekhyun interferes and Jongin looks at him in disbelief. "What? You have to admit, Sehun is a keeper. Have you seen him bravely standing up for both you and himself in front of the gods? Aphrodite have mercy but that moment was so y, his feisty attitude is such a turn on."

 

"Excuse me? Your boyfriend is right beside you." Jongin points out.

 

"No worries, I completely agree with him. Hundred percent." Chanyeol shrugs.

 

"You're still never gonna get that with Sehun." Jongin concludes.

 

The couple look at him with exaggerated scandalized looks. "Jongin! How dare you think of such inappropriate thoughts!" Chanyeol fake gasps.

 

"Oh off, I know you two like the back of my hand." Jongin groans.

 

"The son of Ares is too possessive, we're really never gonna get that , babe." Baekhyun sighs dramatically.

 

"One question, why?" Jongin sneers.

 

"Threesomes are good, are they not?" Chanyeol asks.

 

Jongin couldn't disagree with that but still… "Feel free to invite anyone, but not him."

 

"I almost forgot that you're Sehun's first." Chanyeol sighs. "And you also told him that you'd be his last."

 

"I wasn't referring to ." Jongin defends.

 

"So were you referring to a relationship then?" Baekhyun retorts.

 

Jongin averts eye contact. "Sehun isn't ready for that."

 

"Ready for what?" all three demigods flinch when they see Donghae standing behind them. "I'm all done by the way, I just need the librarian's signature for my clearance form." he tells Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun stands up and takes Donghae's form. "I'll have it signed."

 

Donghae was left with Chanyeol and Jongin who both get up from their seats as well. "Hey wait," Donghae grabs Jongin's wrist. "I heard Sehun's name being mentioned earlier."

 

Jongin pulls away from Donghae's hold. "Ask him and his boyfriend."

 

Donghae narrows his eyes at Chanyeol. "Hey, your best friend is super attractive. We can't help it." the taller explains.

 

Donghae didn't look annoyed or anything. He simply gives them a disappointed look. "I hope one of these days, you'd look past his good looks and see that he is so much more than that." he frowns. "Normally, I'd play along because you are telling the truth but… That's all I've heard for the past few days. People talk about my best friend like he's some circus attraction."

 

With that, Donghae walks over towards Baekhyun and the librarian. Jongin simply tells Chanyeol to not bring up Sehun again before leaving the library.

 

Chanyeol treats them to lunch together as compensation for frustrating Donghae. Chanyeol also used the time to get to know Donghae and Sehun instead.

 

"If you really disregard the whole conman thing, you and Sehun really make a great team. The news in camp aren't pleasant at all." Baekhyun comments.

 

"Well I am thankful that you at least believe me. Some of my siblings refuse to believe that we had good intentions." Donghae says.

 

"Jongin really tried to explain the truth to the gods. He explained it all to me as well so that I could add it in the report. Madame Aphro just disregarded it though." Baekhyun replies.

 

Donghae looks towards Jongin. "You did?"

 

"Everyone has this negative perception of Sehun. I really want to at least clear that up. I owe him that much." Jongin says.

 

Donghae's gaze softened and for the first time, he gives Jongin a small smile before muttering a quick 'thanks'.

 

Comfortable silence falls upon them as they resume eating. All of a sudden something fast comes flying by in front of them and it stops in front of Donghae.

 

Jongin was able to see a floating golden envelope before it opened. "A message from Hermes?" Chanyeol asks.

 

The envelope opens and glows for a moment. All of a sudden Jongin hears an all too familiar voice while Donghae's eyes completely went wide.

 

It was Sehun. It was a video message from Sehun. Jongin was quick to stand up from his seat to stay next to Donghae so he could see the nessage from a better view.

 

Sehun still had Aphrodite's blessing. His silver hair makes him stand out more in the dark place.

 

"Hey… it's my first time using this so I don't know if I'm doing it right." Sehun says as he scratches his head. "I lost track of time here because it's always dark so I don't know if it's morning or night there. I hope this isn't delivered to you in broad daylight for everyone to see."

 

Donghae shakes his head at that, but he had a smile on his face. "Idiot, it's too late for that."

 

"I hope you're doing fine. I hope no one is being mean to you or anything. I'm… Slowly getting used to how things are in here. It's still a bit scary but it's nothing I can't handle." Sehun was hugging his knees to his chest as he speaks.

 

He was quiet for a moment before speaking again. "I miss you so much. So much has drastically changed over the past few days." he sighs.

 

"I hope you make some friends there… Jongin is nice. He really is. I hope you two get along. Don't be mad at him anymore."

 

Chanyeol nudges Jongin's sides at that comment. Jongin couldn't help but smile, he didn't expect Sehun to mention him.

 

"You know…" Sehun leans forward. "There's so much I want to tell you about him but I want to tell it to you personally. I kind of miss him too?"

 

Baekhyun lowly whistles while Chanyeol grins at him. Donghae kept his attention on the video.

 

"I don't want to keep the video too long though. I will work hard here so that I can get back to camp and I promise to tell you everything. I miss you so much Donghae, you know I love you." Sehun smiles.

 

He was about to speak again when they hear the sound of a door opening. All of a sudden they see another guy beside Sehun. Jongin was able to recognize him, he's a son of Hades.

 

"Are you filming yourself?" the guy asks.

 

"Yeah, it's a message for a friend."

 

The son of Hades sits right next to Sehun to look into the envelope. "This is some weird , Snow White." he says and Sehun chuckles at that. "Anyways, wrap that up. I'm taking you somewhere."

 

Sehun's brows furrow. "I thought I'm not supposed to go outside today?"

 

"I'm sneaking you out."

 

Sehun actually looks interested. He returns his attention to the message. "Sorry about that. He's Kris by the way, don't worry because he's nice. I have to go."

 

"Don't mislead him and hurry up." Kris grunts.

 

Sehun smiles once again. "I really have to go now. I miss you Donghae, I love you. Bye."

 

With that, the envelope disappears leaving all four of them confused and baffled. "He's… With a son of Hades?" Donghae says. "They seem to get along well though. I'm glad he's doing fine."

 

"That guy that Sehun was with, Kris… He isn't a demigod, is he?" Jongin asks.

 

"He's not like us."

 

"What do you mean? You said he's a son of Hades." Donghae asks.

 

"And Persephone." Baekhyun finishes. "Hades is only loyal to one woman… unlike some other gods." he rolls his eyes.

 

"Sehun looks comfortable around him so I'm relieved." Donghae smiles. "He doesn't look gloomy."

 

"Kris even calls him Snow White, that's cute." Chanyeol chuckles.

 

"Damn Jongin, you're up against the heir of the Underworld." Baekhyun smirks.

 

"Shut up." Jongin groans as he takes his seat.

 

"I wonder where they're sneaking off to? Kris said he's sneaking Sehun out. The guy probably has taken a liking to Sehun to be doing that." Chanyeol muses.

 

Jongin clenches his jaw, the three don't fail to notice this. "Hey if it makes you feel any better, Sehun did say that he misses you too. He sent the message to me but it felt like he wanted to talk to you as well." Donghae says.

 

"I'll ask Hermes if we could at least send him a reply." Jongin changes the subject.

 

To be honest, Jongin is happy to see Sehun and he is more than happy to know that the son of Aphrodite is also thinking about him. However, he can't help but feel threatened at Sehun's new friend.

 

Sehun will probably be staying with Kris much longer than he did with Jongin. He's threatened but he believes Sehun meant it when he said that Jongin will be his last… whatever that meant.

 

"Gosh. Sehun really has you wrapped around his finger." Donghae chuckles.

 

Jongin looks at him in confusion while the son of Eros simply smiles knowingly. "You know I want to hate you so much because you lied to Sehun and took him here but… My best friend has never spoken about someone else so fondly before. I guess I can entrust him to you."

 

"Hey, it's still his decision to make. We have a lot of time to properly get to know each other when he returns, we don't need to rush anything. I'm still a bit confused myself." Jongin explains.

 

"It's clear as day. He's whipped." Chanyeol concludes.

 

"Obviously." Baekhyun snorts.

 

Jongin shakes his head in disbelief but deep inside, he knows they're telling the truth anyways.