twenty five.

Game of Deception

It all happened too fast. He thought Irene arrived so he went to fetch her at the door but the next thing he knows, someone knocks him out and he's taken away. 

 

Sehun wakes up at a familiar place but his mind still can't process it. He knows he's been here before. He slowly sits up and he winces when he feels a pain in his stomach. He was punched before getting knocked out. His wrists were also wrapped with restrainers on his back. 

 

"Ah, it's a good thing that you woke up quick. I won't be able to buy any more time." 

 

He turns and he sees an unfamiliar face. A man with a powerful yet graceful aura. That was when the place he's in clicks into Sehun's mind. Donghae brought him here before. This is the treehouse built for the children of---

 

"Eros," Sehun says. 

 

The man, Eros, smiles in delight. "It's nice to finally meet my infamous brother." 

 

Sehun narrows his eyes at the god. "What do you want?" 

 

Eros crouches right in front of him. He looks like Ares but his eyes were in the same color as Aphrodite's own. 

 

"I want to get to know my brother more. How does that sound?" Eros asks.

 

"That's a lie." Sehun scoffs. "Were you sent by mother?" 

 

"Well, yes and no?" Eros shrugs. "My father sent me actually but he's conspiring with mother so that's that." 

 

"But why?" 

 

Eros snorts. "Stop acting so naive, brother. You know why." 

 

"Because of my relationship with Jongin?! I already confronted them about that. This is too far!" Sehun hisses. 

 

"They're gods, there is no such thing as too far." Eros says. 

 

"I thought they wanted to protect us? Then why put us through this? What exactly will they gain if they separate us?" 

 

"I'm not sure if I'm supposed to tell you this but they want you to be their heirs one day. Jongin is the most powerful son of Ares, you are the most powerful son of Aphrodite. Falling in love with each other will put all that power to waste, especially if you aren't meant to be." Eros explains.

 

"It's not like I even asked for this power." Sehun mutters. 

 

"Oh please, I know your story. If it wasn't for your power, you would've ended up yourself to every rich man out there." Eros spat. "You needed that power, Sehun." 

 

Sehun glares at the man. "You don't know what I've been through, you have no right to judge me." he grits. 

 

"I wonder if things would have been the same if your powers weren't strong enough." Eros smirks. "How do you think Jongin would've reacted?" 

 

"Don't bring Jongin into this." Sehun glares.

 

"Jongin would have moved on easily to someone else like he did previously if you weren't such a catch for him." Eros snickers. 

 

"That's a lie." 

 

"You're a naive one and you have such a pure heart. You'd give Jongin just about anything." Eros roughly grabs his face. "And look at you now, it hasn't even been long since you met him yet he's already your greatest love." 

 

"Greatest love?" Sehun frowns. 

 

"Your eyes, I'm sure you've already seen how they change colors. You are so easy, brother. Even mother didn't fall for my father this quickly." Eros mockingly says. 

 

"And so what? How shallow is love for you that you can measure and judge it through the time you've known someone?" Sehun retorts. 

 

"You're one naive kid. You really don't know what you got yourself into. One of these days, you're in for the worst heartbreak of your life." 

 

Eros deeply looks into his eyes. "Jongin may be your greatest love but that doesn't apply to him. Your heart is forever bound to him the moment you fell in love with him. You will never experience loving anyone else the same way. On the other hand, Jongin can still fall in love with other people. He won't love you in the same way you love him because no one loves like Aphrodite does." 

 

Sehun laughs bitterly at his last statement. “I can agree with that. No one loves like she does, because what kind of loving mother would put her son through something like this?”

 

“She wants to be a mother to you, Sehun. You’re the one who isn’t giving her a chance.” 

 

“She wants me to trade Jongin for that, do you think I’d allow it? She already knows that he’s my greatest love yet she still wants to keep us apart? She knows it’ll break my heart yet she’s allowing this?” he exclaims.

 

“Your heart won’t break if that love will be replaced.” Eros says. 

 

Sehun looks alarmed. “Replaced? That isn’t possible.” 

 

“Love is so easy to manipulate, brother. Even if it’s a so called greatest love, a bit of change can make you forget all that.” Eros explains. 

 

“No,” Sehun shakes his head. “Please, don’t do this.” 

 

Eros laughs. “That’s more like it, fear looks good on you. I wonder why Donghae chose to have a friend like you, you’re so different from him.” 

 

“Donghae is so different from you as well.” Sehun hisses. “And I thought my mother was a horrible parent.” 

 

Eros simply ignores him. The god stands up and takes something from his pocket. Sehun’s eyes widen when he sees the ring and the bracelet that Jongin gave him. “Give that back!” he struggles to stand up. 

 

Eros simply shoves him back down. “Tell me, Sehun… Jongin gave you restrainers and you think that’s a good thing?” 

 

“He gave them to me for protection.” 

 

“Protection? That’s bull.” he inspects the ring. He smirks when he sees Jongin’s initial engraved on it. “More like possession. The boy wants you all to himself. Who would blame him though? He really hit the jackpot with you. You trust him, don’t you?”

 

Sehun keeps his guard up as he listens. “I don’t think he trusts you though. He gave these to you to keep others away from you. Or perhaps it’s even better, he gave these to you because he can't trust himself either. Your pheromones are powerful and they will continue to get stronger, it will be harder to tell if he really is sincere to you or if he’s just intoxicated with your abilities.”

 

“He has always assured me that it’s not just because I am the son of the goddess of love. He has proven that to me many times. Why would I listen to you or to anyone about how Jongin feels about me?” Sehun fires back. 

 

“Has there ever been an instance where you have lost control of yourself because of your powers?” Eros suddenly asks. 

 

Sehun is tongue tied for a moment. He avoids eye contact then says, “Yes.”

 

A grin appears on the god’s lips. “And how did Jongin react?” 

 

Sehun does not respond as he recalls what happened during the previous night. Jongin admitted that it was a moment of weakness for him as well. His silence is enough answer for Eros. “That is interesting, and here I thought that the pheromones have nothing to do with how he feels towards you.” 

 

“They don’t.” Sehun defends. “It’s not going to happen again.” 

 

“How sure are you about that?” Eros asks. 

 

“I trust Jongin more than anyone else.” Sehun fiercely says. 

 

“Ah, there’s so much passion in you. That’s nice.” Eros mocks. 

 

“What do you plan to do with me? You can’t keep me here for long. Jongin will know that I’m gone and he will look for me.” 

 

“Don’t worry, I’m actually waiting for him. I hope he won’t be stupid enough to bring someone else with him otherwise he’d just make my job easier.” Eros nonchalantly says.

 

“What do you mean?” Sehun asks.

 

“Oh you’ll find out soon… well that is if you’d be able to remember it.” Eros replies. The god suddenly pauses for a bit then he smiles once again. “Your boyfriend is here.” he says. 

 

Eros grabs him by his shirt collar and forcefully pulls him up. He is dragged outside towards the edge of the treehouse. He sees Jongin with Kris down below. “He really brought someone with him.” Eros chuckles lowly. 

 

“Eros! Let him go!” Jongin furiously shouts. “You have no reason to be involved in this!”

 

“Hello brother,” Eros grins. “You forgot that I enjoy mischief and chaos more than anything else. This is fun for me.” 

 

Jongin and Kris both stride towards the treehouse. In a blink of an eye, Eros suddenly shoves Sehun forward but before he could fall, the god grabs him by the restrainers at his back. Sehun’s breath hitches, the only thing that’s keeping him from falling is Eros’ grip. The treehouse is about as high as a two storey house, he’d get several fractures and a concussion if he falls especially since his hands are tied. 

 

“One more step and I’m letting go.” Eros warns. 

 

Kris and Jongin both stop. They both look furious. “Let’s talk about this. Don’t hurt Sehun, he’s innocent in all this.” Kris reasons out.

 

“Don’t get yourself involved, son of Hades.” Eros playfully says as he pushes and pulls Sehun back instantly. 

 

“Stop! What do you want me to do?!” Jongin yells. “Don’t ing hurt him.” 

 

Seeing Jongin losing his composure like this pains Sehun. He hates to be the cause of this. He’s the son of the god of war, he shouldn’t have a weakness and yet here he is. 

 

“There’s nothing you can do brother, besides watch I guess? It’s been a while since I played cupid.” 

 

Sehun sees the fear in Jongin’s eyes. Even Kris doesn’t look like his usual calm and collected self either. It’s still bright outside which means even Kris won’t be able to use his powers to travel through the darkness to catch him. 

 

Sehun looks over at Jongin. The son of Ares’ eyes are full of worry. Sehun looks down then at Jongin again, he gives Jongin a reassuring look. Jongin’s jaw clenches but his eyes tell Sehun that it’s alright. 


 

Trust. 


 

Sehun takes a deep breath. He elbows Eros and forcefully turns himself around to give the god a kick. It was as if everything is in slow motion as Sehun falls back. Eros’ eyes were wide in shock and all Sehun could hear was Kris shouting his name. 

 

The fall didn’t come. He lands on the ground with a soft thud. Sehun hears a soft groan and heavy breathing. He turns his head and he smiles at Jongin. He knew he’d catch him. 

 

“You okay?” Jongin asks. 

 

“I should be asking you that.” Sehun smiles gratefully. 

 

“That’s the scariest moment of my life.” Jongin chuckles. 

 

“Hate to break your moment but we should get moving. We can report this incident in Olympus.” Kris says. 

 

Jongin looks up at Eros, the god looks furious. “We’ll see you in Olympus, brother.” he spat. 

 

Jongin unties him then helps him up. “We should hurry,” Kris suddenly says. “I sense your parents coming.” 

 

Jongin takes Sehun’s hand and nods at him. They’ll have to confront their parents later. 

 

As they were leaving, Sehun takes one look at Eros. It all happened in a blink. The moment he turns, an arrow pierces his chest. It wasn’t painful but it was numbing. He falls on his knees and that alerts Kris and Jongin. 

 

“Sehun? Sehun?!” Kris calls out. 

 

Jongin looks at the arrow before it dissipates into thin air. Sehun’s hold on his hand loosens. He crouches down and holds Sehun’s shoulders for support. He turns around to glare at Eros who’s smugly watching everything from the treehouse. 

 

“Looking back at me is the worst choice you’ve made, brother.” Eros laughs. 

 

When Jongin looks back at Sehun, he was looking at Kris. He blinks slowly before he closes his eyes and loses consciousness. 

 

That was when they hear rapid footsteps approaching. Jongin doesn’t even know what to feel when he sees his father and Sehun’s mother coming. “Eros! You don’t have to do it!” Aphrodite shouts. 

 

Eros rolls his eyes and jumps down the treehouse. “Too late, you two should’ve been more decisive. You know that I always get the job done.” with that, he leaves. 

 

Jongin doesn’t even look back at the god and goddess, he carries Sehun in his arms and starts leaving without saying another word. Kris looks back to give their parents a disapproving look before following. 



 






 

The moment Jongin realized that Sehun was gone, he immediately looks for him. He comes to Olympus first. He knocks on Aphrodite's quarters like a mad bull and when he senses that she isn't there, he heads over to Eros' quarters. Kris sees him along the way and comes along to help. 

 

Eros was not at his quarters but one of his servants said that he's at camp. Jongin rushes over because there's one place where Eros' kids usually hide in whenever they're not in their cabin.

 

That was how he found Sehun and now here they are. 

 

Donghae came as soon as he heard what happened. Ares and Aphrodite were outside but Kris isn't letting them in. Jongin doesn't have the energy to deal with them. 

 

"I can't believe my father would get involved in this too." Donghae sighs. "This is so complicated." 

 

Normally, they would have joked around about how weird it is that Donghae's father is his and Sehun's brother but now isn't the right time. 

 

"He finally told me that he loves me last night." Jongin says as he brushes his fingers over Sehun's cheek. "But because of what Eros did, he might not even remember." 

 

"Don't say that." Donghae counters. "I'm sure Sehun is tougher than some magical arrow." 

 

"I know he is." Jongin says. "But I don't trust Eros. He has separated powerful couples before all because of that arrow." 

 

"We'll just have to wait." Donghae says. 




 

A few minutes have passed until Jongin sees Sehun stirring in his sleep. When Sehun opens his eyes, Jongin sees a quick glint of purple in them until they return to their normal color. 

 

"Hey," Jongin gently calls. "How are you feeling?" his heart was thumping against his chest. 

 

Sehun smiles at him. "Jongin," he slowly gets up and pulls Jongin into an embrace. Jongin sighs in relief as he hugs Sehun back. "Thank you for saving me." 

 

Jongin affectionately kisses the other's temple. "I'm glad you're safe." he sees Donghae looking at them with a smile on his face. 

 

It didn't take long until Sehun pulls away. He looks around the room first then back at Jongin. 

 

"Where's Kris?" 

 

Jongin blinks at him. "He's outside…" 

 

Sehun frowns. "He doesn't have to stay outside, please tell him to come in." 

 

Jongin suddenly feels anxious. Sehun asks for Kris again and Donghae calls him. "Keep the door open." Jongin lowly says as Kris enters. He sees Ares and Aphrodite were waiting outside.

 

Sehun smiles brightly upon seeing Kris and Jongin just feels the world caving in. Sehun didn't smile at him like that when he first woke up. 

 

Kris looks completely baffled as Sehun reaches his hand out to hold his hand. "Did I make you worry?" Sehun asks. 

 

Kris turns back to look at him with wide eyes. Jongin can't believe it. "Hey," Sehun tugs on Kris' hand so that he'd return his attention to him. "Even as son of Hades can get scared huh?" Sehun giggles.

 

Jongin feels like he can't breathe. This can't be. He suddenly steps towards the bed and Kris moves away, Sehun's brows furrowed in confusion.

 

"Sehun, he isn't your lover." he says. 

 

Sehun an eyebrow at him. "I'm pretty sure I know who my boyfriend is, Jongin." 

 

"He's telling the truth. I'm not your lover, he is." Kris joins in.

 

The amused look on Sehun's face is suddenly replaced with a frown but he's quick to force out a smile. He pulls Jongin closer until he's close enough for him to whisper. 

 

"What are you doing?" Sehun asks. 

 

"What do you mean what I'm doing? You're being brainwashed." Jongin says.

 

Sehun is looking at him as if he's gone mad. "Jongin, last night is the last time I'm fooling around with you. I love Kris, we have to stop." he whispers. 

 

Jongin doesn’t know what heartbreak feels like but he definitely knows it now. Is this karma for him not taking relationships seriously before? This is the one time he actually falls in love with someone, and now that love taken away from him. 

 

“Jongin, there might be a way to reverse this.” Donghae tells him, Jongin hates it when he’s looked at with pity but that’s exactly what he is right now anyways: pitiful. 

 

“Reverse what? What’s going on?” Sehun asks.

 

Jongin exhales. “I have to go.” 

 

“Jongin,” Kris calls out. “I’m sorry.” 

 

Jongin shakes his head. “It’s not your fault.” he says. “Please watch over him for now. I need to talk to someone.” 

 

The moment he steps out of the infirmary, the first people he sees are Ares and Aphrodite. Jongin doesn't even have the energy to get mad at them. Instead, he gives them both a soulless look. 

 

"Are you happy now?" that's all he says before walking away.

 

"We tried stopping him." Ares says. 

 

"You think that would change anything? Eros did that because of your orders." he then looks at Aphrodite. "You said you want to protect Sehun and that being with me is a mistake? Well I hope you know that Eros nearly pushed him off that tree house earlier. Sehun just happens to trust me, that's why he's willing to jump off. I was the one that caught him. I hope you realize that I am willing to risk my life for your son and he'd do the same for me… at least that's before you erased his love for me." 

 

Ares and Aphrodite did not speak which just proves that everything that he just said is the harsh truth. 

 

"Was that the last of your plans or are there more?" Jongin asks. 

 

Aphrodite speaks first, "We just--"

 

"Was that the last of your plans or are there more?!" he says louder. When they averted their gazes, Jongin feels like he might just lose it. "Father, just tell me because I will end up doing something that we will all regret. Tell me the truth because I don't mind being banished to Tartarus right now." he knows he's using his powers out of rage but he couldn't help it. 

 

Ares exchanged glances with Aphrodite before heaving a sigh. “I wanted Eros to do the same to you, that way both you and Sehun wouldn’t get hurt.” 

 

Jongin laughs. He actually starts laughing because it’s all too pathetic. “You want Sehun and I to live in a lie for the rest of our lives?” he asks. “Wow, are you two even separating us because you want us to be your heirs or is it because you want to get back together?” 

 

“You’re being ridiculous.” Ares scoffs.

 

“Did I lie?” Jongin leers. “Besides making plans about separating your sons, why else would you be spending the night at her quarters?” 

 

When he gets no response Jongin laughs humorlessly once again. “Thought so,” 

 

With that, he leaves them. Jongin heads over to Olympus. Irene didn’t even stop him when he skipped her cabin because she already knows about what happened. He heads straight to Eros’ quarters. 

 

He barges in the moment a servant opens the door. “Eros!” he shouts. The servant tries to stop him but he continues to call out his brother’s name. 

 

“Oh brother, can’t you be more civil?” Eros complains the moment he shows up. 

 

“It’s very hypocritical of you to talk about being civil right after what you’ve done.” Jongin retorts.

 

“Anyways just get to the point. I suppose your boyfriend is already awake, or should I say ex boyfriend?” he snickers. 

 

“I’ll find a way to undo that spell.” Jongin says.

 

“You are welcome to try.” Eros shrugs. “Is that all you came here for?” 

 

“No, I’m here to take back something you took.” Jongin says. 

 

Eros thinks for a moment but he lets out a snort when he recalls. “You mean these?” he takes out the ring and bracelet from his pocket. “You won’t need them anymore anyways.” 

 

“They still belong to Sehun.” 

 

“Fine,” Eros tosses the items right by Jongin’s feet. “I have no need for them anyway.”

 

Jongin calmly picks them up and keeps them in the safety of his pocket. He walks towards Eros, the god raises an eyebrow at him. “Is there anything else you need?” Eros asks. 

 

Jongin gives him one smug smirk before punching him in the face. The impact is so strong that Eros actually gets knocked out. Panic rises in his servant’s face as he hurriedly checks on him. Jongin simply cracks his knuckles and prepares to leave.

 

“A simple punch won’t kill him. Don’t fret, he’s done worse.” he tells the servant before exiting the quarters. 

 

Eros is most likely going to report it to the Olympians but Jongin couldn’t care less. If Eros reports it, that gives Jongin a chance to report what Ares and Aphrodite were up to as well. 

 

Jongin goes to Persephone’s quarters next. “Jongin, what brings you here? Aren’t you with Kris and Sehun?” the goddess still has no clue about what happened. 

 

“I need to ask for your advice.” Jongin says. 

 

Jongin cannot trust just anybody right after what just happened. He can’t ask his or Sehun’s siblings because they might side with Ares and Aphrodite. Sehun treats Kris’ family as his own so they’re the best ones to seek for help. Jongin tells everything to Persephone and he doesn’t miss the sympathetic look that the goddess gives him right as he’s finishing up the story. 

 

Once he was done, Persephone grabs his hands and gives him a determined look. “I’ll help you find a solution for this. I think we’ll need some extra help too.” she says.

 

“Extra help?” Jongin asks. 

 

Persephone nods. “I can’t leave though, and I’m not sure if Kris can so this is all up to you.” 

 

Jongin understands what she means. “Okay, I’ll take care of everything.” 

 

“Sehun is such a sweet boy, I’m so glad he has you.” Persephone smiles. 

 

Jongin, finally, smiles as well. “I’ll get him back.”

 

“I know you will. You should go. The sooner you leave, the sooner you’ll be back.” 

 

Jongin nods. He gives Persephone a hug before leaving. No wonder Sehun is so attached to her, she’s a wonderful goddess.

 

Jongin heads over to a familiar stream. He makes sure that no one was around before he hurriedly climbs the boat. He manages to leave without anyone seeing him but it won’t be long until someone notices the missing boat. 

 

Jongin gulps as he prepares himself. He’s meeting the god of the Underworld once again.