Comfort to the Jungs: A Detour from this Series

Every Night (매일밤)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Though it is true that this one-shot series has literally been written with the "night time" concept given that almost every story was set at night, it is also true that this was started as a plain one-shot. For now, I would like to stray away a bit from the concept as I can't think of where to put this short story. I find it too much to make it a lone one-shot when it actually is too short.

 

 

"Sojung-ah..." The voice over the phone is evidently tired that Sojung could almost imagine the droopy set of eyes the middle-aged woman has. Just like hers. She smiled thinking of a certain girl but turned serious as she was reminded as to why she made the call.

"Eomoni..." she bashfully started, "is Eunbi still asleep?" She has been calling the younger girl since the night before and it has been three days since they last talked on the phone. She understands that the girl is having a rough time and knowing how the younger girl appreciates her space in moments llike this, Sojung kept herself from constantly checking the girl and being a nuisance. However, that doesn't mean she could also stop worrying. Being put in the position, Sojung has no other choice but to call the person she knows who could actually ease her worries.

"She has not been picking up my calls. Ah- I'm kind of worried." Sojung was cut midway hearing the sigh on the other line making her worry to double in a way. "How is she, Eomoni?"

"That girl is playing tough." The woman said with obvious burden in her voice. "She's playing with Gomi right now and the puppies but she's not herself, Sojung," she added with a choke.

"It's been three days since we talked," worried, Sojung didn't actually realize what she was talking until Eunbi's mother spoke again.

"Did you two fight?"

"Uh, no. It's nothing like that, Eomoni. It's just, I thought she needed the time for herself."

"Oh."
"I miss her."

"Would you like to come over?" the offer took Sojung by surprise not just because she also thought of the idea when she decided to call but also because the way Eunbi's mother said it was actually like a plea.

"Would it be alright, Eomoni?" she shyly asked looking at the bag she has actually already prepared. Well, none could blame her. She doesn't want to take any longer to meet her girlfriend.

"I would be more assured if you're here with her. I mean, knowing Eunbi, though she is the maknae at home, she always acts as if she's mature enough to handle everything. She never wants to be a burden."

"I do hope that she'd open up more." Sojung sighed knowing exactly what Eunbi's mom is saying. "I wouldn't care even if it's a burst of anger. I just want her to be relieved of her burdens."

 

*****

It's already around noon when Sojung reached the bend towards the Jung's residence. It is not the first time for her but she still gets confused on which road she should turn to given that you could not really see the houses from the main road. It was a good thing that Eunbi's brother took the time to pin their location so Sojung did not really have a hard time figuring out.

Seeing the familiar black gate from meters apart, Sojung couldn't tell if she was nervous or excited. Thinking about meeting Eunbi after over a week, indeed, she is anxious for the moment. However, looking over the trees surrounding the residence, Sojung found a tiny sense of calmness growing in her veins. The countryside is indeed a great place to be, not to mention that the Jung's residence is literally at the foot of a mountain, or is it a hill? Who cares really, as long as it is away from the fuss and buzz of the city? It's what they both need to be honest- yes, not just Eunbi; she also needs a place of quiet and healing.

"You can stay here for as much as you need it, Sojung."

*****

"Eomoni!"

"Un-nie?" Eunbi momentarily froze on the couch as she heard her mom's voice from their porch talking to no other than, "Sojung u-un-nie?"

Confused as to what is going on, Eunbi gently got up and trudged her way towards the door leading to where she could hear the voices.

"Am I imagining things?" she asked herself though she's sure she just heard Sojung's voice.

"Thank you, Eomoni." The words stopped her short as indeed, it is Sojung's and there's a clear crack unto it when she said those.

"I hope she won't really mind."

"Unnie?" she decided she has heard more than enough of the two women's conversation that she decided to reveal her presence. Her voice clearly took the younger of the two before her by surprise that she stood still and instantly put her attention to her- her jitters drowning her usual countenance brought by her height and temperament.

"L-lo- Eun-bi" Sojung snapped realizing she's in front of Eunbi's mother. Her stutter also did not make it better for her that she could just up some air and took her steps towards Eunbi.

"I- I, hope you wouldn't mind me coming here," she started when she's a step away from the younger girl. "I just can't help but think of you and get worried. I'm sorry." she added as she scratched her nape preventing herself from reaching out to the girl. You see, even after years of dating, Sojung still can't figure out Eunbi in her silent moments. She is still the most unpredictable human being for the older. Now, she's not sure how to act before her especially as she looks at her with a blank expression.

"J-just tell me you are okay. I meeeaan, I could go if you don't think it's a good idea for me to be here."

"I'm not okay." Eunbi bluntly said with her eyes conspicuously strained at the other as if daring her to look away- or maybe the other way around. The response shook the latter as she dared not look away from the younger, too. However, just then, Sojung saw the tears slowly, as if in slow motion, streaming out of the girl's eyes.

"I'm not." Eunbi repeated in her quivery voice. "Will you stay?" she then asked that had Sojung to see her guard breaking down to pieces, her eyes now full of brokenness and confusion much to Sojung's heartache. Without another millisecond wasted, Sojung wrapped Eunbi in her embrace- holding her tightly as if she would disintegrate anytime.

"I will. I'm here now." She whispered gently. "I'm sorry, I didn't come as early as possible. I should've known."

"I should've been honest with myself." Eunbi said after she calmed down, still in Sojung's arms. "Ah! I need you so much." she murmured.

"Of course, you do!" Sojung responded with a chuckle as she poked Eunbi's cheeks for a good tease.

 

*****

"Eomma!" Eunbi cutely whined as soon as she entered the kitchen where her mother is busy pacing back and forth, cooking. "How could you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter