four.

From A Distance

Even after a week, Nayeon showed no improvement. Her office had given her a few calls; at first Jeongyeon could make up an excuse of her being really sick. But seeing how Nayeon hadn't shown any improvement in her state, she had no choice but to request them for an urgent resignation. Jeongyeon had been juggling with her own job and taking care of Nayeon at the same time, not to forget the fact that she had been handling all the paper works of Nayeon's resignation.

Even though she had said that she's able to handle everything, Ayeon and the boys would never allow her to shoulder all these responsibilities. Which is the reason why Mark had taken a half-day leave just to be at Nayeon's old workplace. There was just last one document to handle; things could have been easier if not for the fact that they could only do bit by bit when Jeongyeon was juggling this with her job.

"Pardon me if this sounds rude but what exactly happened to her?" Mark had kind of expected that question from Nayeon's supervisor. Nayeon had talked about her a few times and it didn't seem like they had any bad blood; if anything, he thought Nayeon really respected this supervisor of hers.

"Nayeon..." Mark paused for a moment, careful not to reveal too much from his expression and body language. "It's just a really really tough period for her right now."

Nayeon's supervisor nodded in understanding and stopped asking about anything regarding to that situation.

It took just another short while for the two of them to finish the rest of procedure. Mark stood up first and gave the older woman a polite bow.

"Thank you and I'm sorry for all these troubles."

In response to that, Nayeon's supervisor gave him an encouraging smile, indicating that it's alright. And before Mark left, she had also asked him to send her regards to Nayeon.

Mark could only nod. If only regards would be able to help Nayeon, he would definitely get everyone they know to send her their regards. Letting out a quiet sigh, Mark left for Nayeon's and Jeongyeon's apartment.

When he reached their place, Ayeon was the one who greeted him at the door. Since Jeongyeon, Younghyun and Bambam had to work, Ayeon was the one who spends the most of the afternoon at the apartment with Nayeon. Occasionally, Bambam would join her. Even though he had mentioned that classes were cancelled, Ayeon highly suspected that the boy skipped some classes just to help bring some life to the house, at least that's what he had said.

"How is she today?" Mark stepped into the house then turned to face Ayeon when she closed the door behind them. The answer was already on Ayeon's face as she shook her head.

"There's not much difference, I had to coax her to at least eat a little of her porridge." She sighed, glancing at the bowl of cold porridge on the dining table against the wall. "That's how much it's left. Do you want to try talking to her but she might be asleep now so I don't know."

Mark gave her a knowing glance then walked up to take the bowl, heading into the kitchen. Ayeon took that as a yes, seeing how that boy was already heating up the porridge. If anyone could really persuade Nayeon, Younghyun and Mark were probably the ones with a higher chance of doing so. Younghyun was after all Nayeon's brother. As for Mark, he's probably the next person after Jinyoung who could really make Nayeon listen to him when she was being stubborn. The three of them did grow up together and the two boys had always been protective of her. At least that's what she heard from Younghyun.

"I will just be here if you need any help."

"It's okay, take a break." Mark gave Ayeon a small smile in return, "We wouldn't want Younghyun to be worried about you too. He's stressed enough."

Ayeon nodded lightly, secretly relieved that Nayeon had these few great friends. Sometimes she wondered if they were not here, would she and Younghyun be able to handle all of these?

-

Mark knocked lightly on Nayeon's opened door. They've made sure to never let Nayeon be locked up in her own room and she didn't really bother to either. Especially when she's just trying to let herself rot away.

"Nayeon." His voice came out as a quiet whisper as he walked up to her bed, placing the bowl of porridge by the side table cautiously. But once he shifted his attention onto the sleeping girl, the gentle look on his face was replaced with one filled with panic.

"Nayeon!" He sat down on the edge of her bed, his voice having a hint of urgency as compared to earlier. Mark gave Nayeon a few pats on her shoulder, attempting to wake her up. The poor girl was having cold sweats and she seemed to be trembling a little.

And, was that tears?

Mark gave her a gentle shake this time, calling out for her name louder this time, which brought Ayeon to the room.

"What's wrong?"

Mark didn't answer her; his attention was focused on Nayeon completely as he patted her cheeks gently a few times. That was when Nayeon finally opened her eyes, her breathing a little uneven. She sat up on her bed, staring up at Mark for a short moment and Ayeon could see the despair in the tears that were b in her eyes.

"You okay?"

Nayeon didn't say anything; her gaze still fixated on Mark's face as her tears fell from her eyes. If Ayeon didn't remember wrongly, that was probably the first time she's seeing Nayeon's tears within that week after Jinyoung's cremation. She had wanted to step forward when Nayeon started hitting Mark, which he never tried to stop her. But maybe, it would be better if she just let Mark handle this himself.

"Why did you have to wake me up?" She heard Nayeon's cries. "I saw him, he was smiling. Why did you have to bring me back? I don't want to come back! I wanted to be with him, why couldn't anyone of you understand? "

Was that what Nayeon saw in her dream? Was that the reason why she's always been sleeping? And everytime they woke her up, was that what she always felt?

Ayeon sighed and stepped out of the room when she saw Mark's arms around Nayeon's body. She knew that the girl would be well taken care of at that moment. Ayeon stopped outside the room and leant against the wall, listening to the cries of Nayeon.

Just what exactly was Nayeon going through inside? She doubted any of them would be able to understand. It's unfair, why did Nayeon have to go through this and why did Jinyoung have to leave them at such a young age. It was supposed to be his prime years.

Upon that thought, silent tears fell from Ayeon's eyes.

----------

I've decided to post on both Monday and Friday, if I'm able to. Friday will still be the day for this story! I don't have much to say about this chapter since this is mainly how Ayeon reacts to the situation. And Mark too, obviously. Those who are feeling pain for Nayeon... please be prepared for more pain. And for those who are anticipating for Jinyoung's appearance again, you won't have to wait too long.

This chapter is just this. It's basically to just torture you guys HAHA. And as a build up so you can see how Nayeon is really living in guilt and sadness and all the negative emotions. Votes will be loved, feedbacks will be helpful!

signing off, leen.