fourteen point five.

From A Distance

One of the first things I remember about Mark and Nayeon would be the crazy things we've done together. They ranged from throwing rocks at the middle-aged man because he kicked a stray cat that's blocking his way, and to catching a thief together.

Yes, we were crazy and we had no fear. But that's because we were together.

The memory of our first meeting feels distant now, since there are more precious memories that filled in between the whole of our lives. I can't remember if there was any time when they were not in my life. Even when we were serving in the army, Nayeon was there. Not physically, but her loud voice could be heard through the text messages she sent us.

We were already dating then.

Talking about that, I'm really grateful towards Mark. Ever since I told him about the changing feelings of mine towards Nayeon, I know he had intentionally step back to give us some alone time. Those "I'm busy" reasons were excuses, I know that too.

Also, his feelings for Nayeon, I eventually found that out after Nayeon and I got together. I had my suspicions but I was in denial and since he had never said anything, I pretended to not know anything. Maybe he wasn't sure; maybe he was scared and also maybe I'm a little more outspoken than him, Nayeon and I started dating.

He was even the one who made sure that happened. And he always makes sure that the both of us make up after a fight. Sometime, it could be over something silly but he's always there to be our mediator. It's not like he has no temper, if anything his temper is a lot worse than ours when he's mad.

We did fight once and it was stupid.

"Why did you let me win?"

"What are you talking about?"

I remember how he sounded guilty but he was covering up. He at lying by the way. We were having a one versus one basketball game and since I was new to it at that age, I know that he let me win.

We were 13 I think?

That hurts my pride a little, so even though I knew that he was just being the friend he's always been, we ended up fighting. I didn't want a fight but he was in a foul mood that day so it happened. I only found that out after we patched up. He said he failed his math test and we all know that he takes pride in his math results. In the end, I bought him and Nayeon ice-lollies; Nayeon got lucky that day.

That's Mark for you. He had always been watching us, which is why now that I'm the one watching them, I finally noticed the gentle gaze he always had on Nayeon ever since my... my death.

Like I've said, I know about his feelings but I've never really probe into it. In fact, I thought he would have let it go by now. If that accident never happens, I doubt I will ever notice that.

However, this whole current situation actually comforts me a lot. At least, I don't have to worry about what will happen after I leave for real.

Nayeon hadn't been doing well, I know. I know she tried to die; I know she tried to just let herself rot away. And that pains me. I have no idea how did it happen, but somehow Nayeon was able to see me after that. It was amazing; I never thought things like ghosts or spirits exist for real. I always thought that they only exist in the books I've read.

So, I realized that Nayeon had gotten better ever since I appeared in front of her again; but I've also noticed that I'm not the only reason she's starting to step back into the world she's supposed to be. Jaebum, Bambam and Jeongyeon, everyone's support and concerns helped.

But Mark – he probably doesn't know that yet – he's the main reason why Nayeon was able to get better. Nayeon herself probably doesn't know that either but, as an observer, I can see that. She had been smiling more in front of the others and even more in front of Mark. He had probably gone to her place during her birthday to make sure she doesn't think about anything. At that instant, I really wished that he could see me; I miss playing around with them.

As a guy, this is a little disgusting to admit but I miss him too.

Mark probably wouldn't be facing his feelings even when it's come to this and he probably would just push all feelings of his aside.

He's an idiot, isn't he? That's my best friend for you.

That's why, he needs a little push. I've been learning how to be a good spirit; I've entered his dreams once and brought back some of the memories he probably had hidden away. But being an idiot, he still didn't want to face his own feelings.

He already kissed her, god damn it!

I need to talk to him before he comes up with even more excuses about that kiss. He probably had gone on a special course on how to come up with the best excuses. I have to be faster than his brain then.

I don't know how does it really work, but it's time for us to have a man-to-man talk, my friend. I will see you soon.

---------

again, i feel like many of you are going to kill me. you guys are probably waiting to see what happened next after the kiss right? before that, let's have a look at jinyoung's thoughts instead. i made it a little lighter at the end; it's to show the relationship of him and mark briefly. i can imagine jinyoung getting all frustrated watching mark being a p*ssy. 

anyway, i mentioned that there were three main chapters and three special chapters right? i combined two chapters so, there would only be two main chapters and since this is a special chapter, two more special chapters left too. if everything goes well, this story would be completed by next friday!

do you guys have any questions regarding the story? ask ahead and i might try to answer them without giving any spoilers. keyword: try. 

so, a short chapter today but i still hope everyone enjoyed jinyoung's point of view!

peace, ddeokbxkki!