final.

From A Distance

The two of them ended up at the playground again. None of them had spoken at all when Mark picked Nayeon up from her shift. She could have ran away or make up some excuses but she followed him. That's probably a sign that she too, didn't want to run away anymore.

Right?

The silence was awkward and uncomfortable; none of them knew how to start a conversation on what happened. Mark who had initially planned what he wanted to say before he went to pick Nayeon up was suddenly lost for words.

Stop being a wuss!

Jinyoung's voice kept repeating in his head; he mentally cursed at his best friend for ruining his sleep that night and making him all frustrated. He took in a deep breath then sat up straight on the merry-go-round.

"Nayeon," Mark finally managed to utter her name out quietly. "About that day, I'm sorry..."

Nayeon who's sitting on one of the swing, turned to look at him but before she could give any response, Mark continued.

"I know it was sudden and you're probably surprised from it but I definitely mean it. I don't know if you've felt it or something but yes, I admit. I do like you. Heck! I am in love with you to a point that if I was in Jinyoung's position that night, I would have done the same too."

"Don't you dare say that again." Nayeon's quiet but firm voice interrupted Mark. "Don't you dare..."

She let her shaky voice trailed off quietly after her last word. What the hell were the two guys thinking? How could they say something like this so casually?

"Alright," Mark's voice got gentler after what Nayeon had said. "But, you get my point. Your smile is literally one of my favourite things in the world and I would do anything. Anything! Just to be able to see that smile again. All these while, I've convinced myself that the things I've done for you was out of a protective best friend. I've tried convincing myself that I've let things go because Jinyoung and you are both happy. I've tried, Nayeon."

Mark paused for a while, closing his eyes briefly before he finally looked up at her.

"I was probably just lying to myself."

Nayeon said nothing at Mark's sudden confession; it's not that she didn't want to. But rather, she had absolutely no idea what to say. It wasn't rejection that's in her mind, neither was it acceptance. Instead, it was just plain confusion.

She had wanted to clear her mind and figure out what's going on the past week; she had assumed Mark would have done the same too since he had not appear in front of her during this whole period. Did he end up with this conclusion?

The scariest thing about this situation was that, Nayeon wasn't feeling pressured or bad at all. In fact, she knew deep inside, she was a little relieved that this man in front of her, sitting down on the merry-go-round they used to play on, wasn't regretting his actions at all.

"I'm not asking for an immediate response." Mark's gentle voice brought her out from her own thoughts. "I won't pressure you for one either. Just let me continue staying by your side until all is well again. Just let me see that smile of yours again. I can and will wait."

Nayeon felt a tight knot in a stomach as she bit on her bottom lip. Mark always had his own way to shut her (and Jinyoung) up. But this time, it was a lot different from before.

"Nayeonie." Jinyoung's voice made her whip her head behind before she could even speak, "You don't have to worry about me. Just follow your heart."

"Jinyoung..." She managed to mutter his name out as he walked up to her.

"Yo." He grinned, raising a hand up as a greeting.

"Were you listening to our conversation the whole time?" Mark scoffed in a joking manner and jumped up from where he was sitting.

"Of course," Jinyoung shrugged lightly, giving the other his signature playful smile. "How else would I know if you've heed my advice?"

Nayeon stared at the two people who meant the whole world to her as they continue with their playful bantering. When was the last time all three of them were together like this? She realized that she really missed it, a lot more than she had thought she did.

But wait a minute-

"Mark, you can see Jinyoung!?" Nayeon exclaimed, pointing at the latter after she jumped off the swing. "When? How?"

The two males turned to give Nayeon their full attention this time as they both shrugged at the same time.

"This guy here thought it would be good to give me a lecture in the middle of the night."

"I had to knock some sense into this , you see." Jinyoung eyed Mark in a teasing sense, "If not he would have never tell you about how he feels. It's been years, Nayeon."

"She doesn't have to know the details." Mark cleared his throat and muttered under his breath grudgingly. His gaze shifted everywhere except on Nayeon. Jinyoung watched his two human friends in front of him but neither of them noticed that brief sadness in his smile.

"Anyway," His voice caught the other two's attention. "Since we are together again, let's hang out."

"We are hanging out." Nayeon stared at her ghost boyfriend in front of her. "Unless you want to do something else?"

Jinyoung smiled and nodded.

"I want to go back to our schools. All of them. Everywhere which consists of all our memories." Mark noticed how Jinyoung's voice got softer and gentler as he spoke but he wasn't able to figure out what he's thinking.

"Let's go then?" The only thing he could do was to agree to Jinyoung's suggestion. After all, he would never let go this chance of them hanging out together again. It seemed impossible but it's really happening.

The three of them headed off to their elementary school first. Jinyoung had suggested to track their memories back to when they're kids. The school was closed by that time since the sky's already turning dark. It was easy for Jinyoung but Mark and Nayeon had to sneak in from the back gate. They all knew it was a crazy act and they would get into trouble if they get caught. However, at that point of time, they knew it was something they had to do.

It's not like they've never done this before.

"Nayeon, it's time for a diet- Ouch!"

"You're just weak, Jinyoung." 14 years old Nayeon stepped on Jinyoung's shoulder harder than earlier, feeling really offended. "I'm almost there."

The two boys at the bottom winced at the weight of Nayeon who's stepping on each of their shoulder while they held her legs to give her more support.

"Hurry up..." 15 years old Mark groaned.

"Stop complaining- Aha!" Nayeon grinned when she'd finally got the small tennis ball from the edge of the building's shelter. "Put me down now."

Mark and Jinyoung lowered themselves carefully, allowing Nayeon to jump off them safely. The both of them rotated the shoulder she had stepped on which caused them to receive a glare from the girl herself.

"I'm not fat." Her voice was filled with offense as she glared at them with her arms akimbo. "Besides, we didn't have to do this if the both of you didn't try to be funny and thought it would be fun to knock that fruit down."

"Sorry ma'am." Mark and Jinyoung both muttered unwillingly while they continued to massage their shoulder.

"How old were we then?" Mark brought up the question as the three of them sit on the bench by the side of their school grounds.

"14? 15?"

"I was 14 then so both of you would be 15!" Nayeon looked up at the sky with a wide smile on her face. "I miss those times."

Silence took over them once again as the three friends enjoy the current moment with each other.

"Shall we move on to our next destination?" Jinyoung smiled in which Mark and Nayeon smiled in response before they stood up from the bench.

It took a while but Mark and Nayeon managed to get back onto the other side of the school's fence. Even after supporting Nayeon onto the fence, climbing over it was nothing to Mark who had already gone through military training.

As Jinyoung had requested, they headed off to their middle school right after. This time, they had decided to not sneak in since it's gotten really dark and it would take up quite some time. The three of them stood in front of the main gate silently.

"The time when you and Mark finally got separated to different classes?" Nayeon whispered quietly, turning to face the two boys.

"You mean the time when you cried because we had to move to another school before you did?" Mark muttered without thinking which made Jinyoung burst into quiet laughter.

"Mark Tuan!"

"What-" Mark gave Nayeon his attention and that's when he realized he had spoke his thoughts out. "Oops."

"Got to admit, it was funny." Jinyoung added on, "Even Bambam was laughing at you."

"He was a crybaby too." Nayeon muttered under her breath grudgingly before she quickly change the topic, "Let's go."

It took some time since their high school was slightly further away; they decided to take the bus they usually did then. The bus was pretty empty since it's already late but to the three of them, it's actually better. They kept quiet most of the time since none of the passengers nor the driver could see Jinyoung. At the same time, the nostalgic feeling they had was also part of the reasons why no one spoke.

Each of them had their own precious memories they kept deep inside them.

"High school huh?" Jinyoung started this time while they gathered under the big tree near their school's main gate.

No one replied. But Jinyoung knew that they were all thinking the same thing as he was. High school was the year their relationship status changed. He started dating Nayeon and for Mark, that was also the period he finally realized his feelings for her. It's like what people say, everyone's growing up and after going through puberty things are bound to change. Whether it's between themselves or with new people joining them.

In their case, it's between themselves. Even though Jaebum and Jeongyeon were new additions to their group, it wasn't as any of their other half.

"Markiepoo." For the first time of that night, Nayeon started a chat towards the said man directly, "I really once thought you were gay."

Jinyoung burst out laughing, a lot louder than the one before. Mark could only frown at Nayeon's words and at that moment, he really wanted to punch Jinyoung but he knew it's impossible.

"You can't blame her, you know." Jinyoung spoke in between fits of laughter, "You rejected every girl who confessed. You don't even look at anyone else. And being the slow girl she is, how would she know that it's because of her?"

That made Nayeon flustered as she cleared nervously.

"You gave us our own alone time, didn't you?" Jinyoung quieted down, giving Mark a soft smile. "I knew which is why, thank you."

"You're making me sound like some saint." Mark snorted as an attempt to hide his embarrassment. "I just want you two to be happy."

"I know." Both Jinyoung and Nayeon said at the same time.

"Because that's what I wish for the both of you right now." Jinyoung added on, keeping his gaze fixed on his two best friends. He didn't have to elaborate further; both of them understood what he meant completely.

For the umpteenth time of the night, silence took over again. This time, there was a tinge of sadness filling the air. It wasn't uncomfortable but it wasn't a good kind of silence either. It took a while but Mark eventually broke it.

"Let's go home, it's late."

"We still have one last destination." Nayeon reasoned, looking up at him. "Our university."

Jinyoung noticed the slight change in Mark's expression and he understood that the memory of Nayeon almost dying was still etched deeply in his mind. The fact that Mark did not even thought of driving his car while searching for her proved that he wasn't thinking straight at that point. And in that condition, it's no surprise that Mark would be haunted by that memory.

"It's late, Nayeonie." Jinyoung supported Mark's decision. "Let's just head back to our playground."

Seeing that the both of them were so insistent, Nayeon nodded quietly.

Maybe it's because of the memory lane they had went through or maybe it's the fact that they were together again, the three of them stayed quiet. Mark had his back against a pole with his arms crossed. Nayeon was on the swing again and Jinyoung, he's just sitting down on one of the stairs.

"Jinyoung," Again, Mark was the one who spoke up first. "Be honest, what's with this nostalgia."

Jinyoung smiled and once again, that sadness did not escape from Mark's observant eyes.

"Still our same old observant Markiepoo, huh?"

Nayeon looked up from the floor and at the two boys in front of her.

What are they talking about?

"Talk."

"Thank you for tonight, you two." Jinyoung stood up, giving the two of them his brightest smile.

"Don't change the subj-"

"I'm not." Jinyoung chuckled, a little too dry for Mark's liking. "This is actually a goodbye. I just wanted to walk down the memory lane with the both of you."

Mark straightened his body while Nayeon stood up from the swing, giving Jinyoung their full attention. What did he mean by that? Jinyoung merely smiled at how the two of them reacted. It would hurt less being honest than leaving without a word, right?

"Are you leaving?" Nayeon's question came out as a soft whisper. Her voice was shaky as she clenched onto her fist tightly. "Again?"

"Nayeonie..." Jinyoung muttered, the sadness obvious in his tone this time. He was expecting Nayeon to react that way but he wasn't expecting the pain he would be feeling like how he was at that moment. "Please don't cry anymore."

Nayeon relaxed her body briefly and touched her cheek with a hand. She hadn't realized that the tears were flowing. She was still trying to absorb what Jinyoung had said. Goodbye? What goodbye?

"Can't you stay...?" Even the cool-headed Mark was trying his best to keep himself calm. When the doctor announced Jinyoung's death, he wasn't feeling like this. It was numb but now that Jinyoung's in front of him and that he's saying goodbye, Mark didn't know that it would be that painful.

A lot more painful than before.

"I never knew you were one to cry over me, Markiepoo." Jinyoung joked despite the tears glistening in his eyes. "You guys will be okay."

"The three of us are together again." Nayeon muttered, her body shaking slightly. She wiped tears flowing down her cheek harshly with the back of her hand and stared at Jinyoung. "You can't just leave like this!"

"Nayeonie..." Jinyoung whispered, holding a hand up and stopped when it barely reached her cheek. "I'm gone. I shouldn't even be here all these while. Please don't cry anymore, both of you."

Jinyoung looked up at Mark with his last three words.

"Thank you for being in my whole life. Thank you for accepting everything of me. Thank you for always being there for me. Thank you for loving me, Nayeon. Thank you for everything, both of you."

"Stop!" Nayeon cried out, "Please stop, you're not leaving!"

Jinyoung sighed then glanced at Mark.

"You're getting better. You will be okay." He whispered softly, in his most gentle voice. "I can finally be at peace because you will be okay. I felt peace lately and that's when I know it's time."

Nayeon looked up but before she could open and argue back, Jinyoung stopped her again.

"Mark will be here for you, do follow your heart too."

Nayeon stayed silent, her body trembling more as she tried to keep herself calm. Seeing that, Mark stepped up and wrapped an arm around her shoulder; that simple hug consisted of both Jinyoung's and his comfort.

Jinyoung smiled at his action and mouthed a 'thank you' to him.

"Is there no way to make you stay?" Mark asked quietly. He knew that what he asked was probably one of the most ridiculous questions he had ever uttered out. But there might be a chance, right? The fact that they were able to see him meant that impossible things do happen.

"You're not one to speak without thinking." Jinyoung sighed and shook his head. "Listen, the fact that I'm actually talking to you two right now is a miracle. I never thought it would happen for real but it did. As much as I too want to stay, you know I can't."

Neither Nayeon nor Mark spoke. Deep inside them, they knew that what Jinyoung said made sense and it's probably the only thing that could and would happen.

"Well, unless you guys would be able to revive me."Jinyoung was still able to joke at this current situation. "You guys know it's impossible right?"

Again, the other two made no reply. Nayeon had her head bowed low and Mark tightened his grip on her shoulder, his gaze fixed on the ghost of his best friend.

"It's time."

Those two words made Nayeon looked up at him again.

"No..." She muttered as she tried to reach out for Jinyoung who's now shining brightly like how he did in both of their dreams.

"I'm going, do take care of my family." Jinyoung smiled, tears finally flowing down his cheeks as he started disappearing from his legs. "And I love you."

"Both of you."

That was the last three words Jinyoung spoke to them. Nayeon finally broke down completely as she squatted down, crying her lungs out. Mark couldn't react at all; he just plainly stared at the empty spot where Jinyoung was standing earlier, having no idea that his tears were flowing down uncontrollably.

This time, Jinyoung's really gone and it hurts a lot more than the first time.

Goodbye Jinyoung...

---------

and that's the final chapter of this story! there will definitely be an epilogue coming up since, i'm pretty sure you guys need and want to know the progress of markyeon and everyone else! so the final update for this story would be this friday night. look forward to it one last time!

i actually got a little emotional writing the final scene. i don't know if it would have the same effect on you guys. i certainly hope it does since that's the whole point of it. angsty friendship stories are actually sadder to read. do you guys agree with me?

anyway, once again votes are very much welcome, so are feedbacks!

thank you!