seven point five.

From A Distance

I still remember the day I met them. I was still a kid then, probably around 7? Being a boy that young, it was pretty stressful when my family and I just moved to a new neighbourhood, a new country. Without knowing their language, I wasn’t able to communicate with anyone at all. My broken English didn’t help either since the other kids didn’t understand that language too.

That was the main reason why I’d always get teased by the other kids in the same neighbourhood and in the same daycare. I wanted to stand up for myself but they would just laugh more when I couldn’t say anything proper in their language.

It was hard; I probably cried a lot then. But that ended when she came into my life; when the three of them appeared in my life.

It was just another typical day; I was just walking around the neighbourhood alone. Somehow I ended up at the playground near our place. The laughter of the kids attracted me so, subconsciously I stopped in my tracks and watched them. I didn’t noticed the group of older kids who always bullied me there until one of them appeared in front of me; they all had that mischievous grin on their face.

At my age then, I got scared.

I had no idea what they were saying to me but the laughter from them told me that they were mocking me. I could feel the tears in my eyes again and I thought that I shouldn’t be weak anymore.

“Go away!” I shouted in my own language but the kids ended up laughing even more because they thought it sounded funny.

“I say go away!” This time, I shouted at them with my limited knowledge of their language. It didn’t help either; instead they laughed at me more. I was at a loss; no one helped me then. I was thinking that for once, I should beat them up like how it always happened in dramas. I probably would get scolded but just once, it’s fine right?

However, while I was contemplating, someone else beat me to it.

A girl; probably older than me.

I stared at her in disbelief. Did she just push the other kid down? Was she defending me? She shouted at the other older kids who were bullying me but I had no idea what did she shout at the bullies that time.

I did notice how the older boys got mad. I wanted to step forward; I couldn’t exactly let a girl be beaten up because of me right? But again, two other boys beat me to it. I looked at them who were standing right in front of the girl and I, with their arms stretched out.

There was nothing I could do as I stood behind the three of them. I knew at that moment, they weren’t just protecting her; I was included. It was a warm feeling to have someone protecting me when all I got these two months were mocking from the other kids.

Maybe because the three of them looked really mad; maybe it’s because there were adults looking at them. The bullies ran off. And I heard the girl shouted something that sounded like “cowards” to them.

I laughed. I had no idea why did I laugh but that laugh was what caught the attention of the three of them. I stared at them and felt a little embarrassed.

They stared back.

“Hey,” The girl spoke up first, with a super bright smile on her face. “I’m Nayeon, nine years old! Are you new?”

I blinked, unable to understand what she just said. She turned to her two friends for help and as if he was able to read my mind, one of them spoke up in English.

“I’m Mark.” He gave me a small smile and that familiar language eased my nervousness. “Are you new here?”

“I-“ I stuttered for a while, still feeling a little surreal before I continue in my not so perfect English. “I am Bambam.”

The three of them smiled.

“That’s Jinyoung.” Mark pointed at the other boy who smiled; it was another wide smile.

“Bambam right?” Nayeon interrupted Mark before he could continue. “We are friends now!”

I had absolutely no idea what was she chirping about at that time, I smiled but I cried too because I was so relieved. The three of them panicked and Nayeon quickly took out a lollipop from her pocket and held it to me.

“I only have one. But here, you take it.” The smile on her face was still bright as she poked my cheek. “Lollipop makes you happy. Don’t cry anymore.”

I laughed again. She felt like the sun, like an older sister I could rely on.

Jinyoung stepped up and told me something; I could only stare at him clueless at that time since I couldn’t understand him either. But I remember the translation Mark provided.

“We’ve asked for it from her, but she refused to even share.” Mark laughed then patted my head. “So, listen to her and don’t cry anymore.”

Upon those words, my smile grew wider.

Since that day, the three of them will bring me along whenever they’re out playing. My English improved because of Mark. His family migrated here too, just like mine. Nayeon and Jinyoung helped a lot, especially Nayeon. She kept saying she wanted to communicate with me without Mark’s translation.

And we did.

Nayeon, Mark and Jinyoung, they are all my precious friends. Almost like a family and all I wish for is their happiness. I know that those three have a special friendship that none of us, even me, can enter.

However, staying by their side, that’s enough. It’s nice to laugh with them; it’s nice to be fussed over by an older sister and two older brothers. It’s nice to have them around.

Which is why, I can’t cry anymore.

Not now.

This time, I will bring a smile to their face.

---------

This was supposed to be part of the previous chapter. But I wanted Bambam to tell the story himself. He's been really strong throughout the current chapters and this chapter, is the reason why. Bambam character here isn't as playful as the ones in my other series. But nevertheless, I still think he's versatile. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed Bambam's pov!

signing off, ddeokbxkki.

p.s. seen the new poster yet? 

p.p.s. i hope this doesn't sound like i'm desperate but i need to know how many of you are reading and your thoughts up till now. is it boring? :/