eight.

From A Distance

The tension in the apartment was uncomfortable. Nayeon's condition had not gotten any better throughout the past few weeks. She's still talking to a non-existing Jinyoung and both Younghyun and Jaebum agreed that it couldn't go on like this anymore.

It was supposed to be a quiet discussion so that Nayeon wouldn't hear them. However, things got a little heated up between Mark, Jaebum and Younghyun.

"No, I said no!" Mark bellowed towards them as he gave them a cold stare. Neither Jeongyeon nor Bambam dared to speak up; they could only give each other a worried glance. This situation was getting way out of hand.

"Mark, what's with you?" Jaebum frowned; everyone else could tell that he's trying his best to keep his cool. "Can't you see that Nayeon needs help?"

"Everyone has the same opinion, right?" Younghyun glanced towards the direction of Jeongyeon, Ayeon and Bambam who's just watching by the side, unable to do anything.

"Everyone?" Mark scoffed. "Everyone only includes you and Jaebum! Did you see Bambam or Jeongyeon agreeing to this idea?"

The both of them frowned deeper, keeping quiet. Despite them not believing Nayeon, they didn't agree to the idea of sending her to a psychiatrist. But they also knew that, if any of them gave any more opinion into that situation, it would get way more out of hand.

"Say something, the both of you!" Mark turned his attention fully onto both of them. None of them said anything as they looked back at Mark who sighed.

Silence took over the place. Younghyun sat down onto the couch; Jaebum turned away from Mark with his arms akimbo; Mark brushed his bangs back in frustration and as for the other three, they shared worried glances once more.

The click of the door got everyone's attention; Nayeon was standing by the entrance. Everyone's face darkened when they saw her. They had initially wanted to have this quick discussion in the most peaceful way when Nayeon said that she wanted to go for a walk.

Did she hear them?

"Nayeonie," Bambam as usual, was the first to react. He took a step forward towards her, a soft smile playing on his lips but Nayeon stopped him in his tracks.

"I'm going back to my room." She muttered quietly before bowing her head low and headed straight back into her room.

Jeongyeon and Bambam sighed.

"Boys," Ayeon finally voiced out, eyeing Nayeon's closed door. "Let's end the discussion here, it's going nowhere. How do you think Nayeon will feel?"

"Exactly." Mark stated firmly, "Which is why, we are definitely not sending her to a psychiatrist."

With that said, he walked towards Nayeon's room. Everyone else watched him knock on her door before he entered the room, shutting the door behind him.

"Nayeon." Mark's voice was soft and gentle as he walked towards Nayeon and sat down beside her on the bed.

"You believe me, don't you?" Nayeon lifted her head up and turned to look at him. "You believe that I saw him."

Just with that question, Mark knew that she'd heard everything from outside and he absolutely hate how she looked at that moment. The one thing he hated the most was Nayeon's crestfallen face. She had been that way for months and it was only recently she smiled; Mark's definitely not going to let that smile disappear once again.

Even if it meant believing something so impossible.

"I do." Mark smiled, reaching out to give Nayeon's head a few gentle pats. "Just ignore what everyone else thinks or say, alright?"

Nayeon smiled in return and nodded slightly at his words.

"That's my girl."

Mark didn't stay long after and left the room for Nayeon to get some rest. Nayeon was staring into space until Jinyoung appeared.

"You really can't be like this forever, Nayeon ah."

"I can and I will." Nayeon mumbled stubbornly.

"Listen to me," Jinyoung sighed and squatted down in front of her. "I don't know how long I can stay here. You and I both know that this is unhealthy for you."

Nayeon didn't reply and simply stared back at Jinyoung.

"You have to pick yourself up again."

"No!" Nayeon shook her head, raising her voice slightly. "Like what Mark had said, I'm going to ignore what everyone thinks."

Jinyoung sighed in defeat.

"Mark is always on your side whenever something bad happened, remember?"

"So?" Nayeon taunted, "You're always on my side too so why are you against me now?"

Outside the room, Mark leant against the wall as he listened to every word Nayeon was saying. He knew that she's speaking to the Jinyoung she had told everyone. But it still made him sad to see her acting this way.

Was it because of her suicide attempt?

Or was it really when she joined them to the columbarium?

He sighed before walking away from the room. Whichever it was, he's still going to believe her words.

"Let's go."

Back in the room, Jinyoung stood up in front of Nayeon who looked up at him questioningly.

"Go where?"

"A walk." Jinyoung smiled a little and nodded. "You won't listen to me anyway. Grab your coat, let's go for a walk."

It took a while before a small smile crept onto Nayeon's face. She grabbed her coat as instructed and walked out from her room, not bothering to inform others that she's going out.

It was a quiet stroll as Jinyoung and Nayeon walked side by side even though no one could see Jinyoung. They didn't have to anyway; Nayeon's satisfied enough with this.

"We used to go on simple dates like this." Jinyoung whispered quietly as he tucked his hands into his pocket. "If only I could hold your hand right now."

Nayeon didn't say anything. She knew that Jinyoung's actually telling her that it's different now, just in a more indirect way.

"You understand what I'm saying right?" Jinyoung turned his head slightly to look at her. But again, Nayeon said nothing and he knew that she definitely got what he meant.

They had no idea how they ended up at the playground. They were just walking aimlessly but somehow, somewhat, their legs brought them there. It was a place filled with many memories. They both stood in front of it for a short moment, smiling a little at the nostalgia.

"Remember how I asked you out?" Jinyoung once again was the one who broke the silence between them.

Jinyoung, in his school uniform fiddled with his fingers nervously and took a glance at the bouquet of lollipops by the side. Will Nayeon laugh? Did he go too far? Or is this too simple?

He had spend a few days making that – running about to buy the right coloured lollipops and spending the whole of last night to arrange it them into a bouquet. No one knew what he was going to do, except for Mark, who had the job of bringing Nayeon to the playground since Jinyoung was too nervous to do anything.

The initial plan had been Jinyoung bringing Nayeon here himself but his heart was palpitating hard against his chest. Mark had thought that Jinyoung really needed some time to himself so he could breathe. He had joked that Jinyoung might faint before he even managed to bring Nayeon here.

Which was why Jinyoung's waiting at the playground, while Mark searched for Nayeon. Jinyoung paced up and down, trying to phrase his words properly. He was never a cheesy guy and he had never once confessed to anyone. He was usually the one getting confession but that wasn't the point at the moment.

Where is Mark?

Jinyoung wondered and looked up towards the direction of the sidewalks.

Actually, erase that. It would be better if Mark took his time or that he couldn't find Nayeon. Will he be able to do this well?

Damn.

He cursed inwardly when the figures of his two childhood friends appeared. Mark stood by the sidewalks as Nayeon ran to where Jinyoung is, smiling brightly at him. He took a glance at Mark from the distance and saw his goofy grin.

"Park Jinyoung!" Nayeon chirped and stopped in front of him. "Mark told me you're looking for me."

"Ah-" Jinyoung smiled nervously, unable to speak for that brief moment.

"Ah?"

"Nayeonie," Jinyoung cleared his throat and took in a deep deep breath. "I have no idea if you've noticed how I've been acting a little different? We probably always had ice cream together since we were young. Or sometimes we will just sit at those swings there talking about anything. But, you've noticed that it's just us two lately right?"

Nayeon blinked, a playful smile forming on her lips. Somehow, Jinyoung could feel that she's teasing him with that smile but that didn't stop him.

"I will keep this short because you know, I'm not someone who beat around the bush." Nayeon nodded at his words, the goofy smile still plastered on her face as Jinyoung continued. "Im Nayeon, I've been courting you for a while now. I've known you well enough so let's just skip everything else and let's date."

Nayeon blinked then burst into a soft laughter.

"Took you a while, Park Jinyoung."

"Is that a yes?"

Nayeon nodded and opened her arms, asking for a hug in which Jinyoung chuckled and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"You know, if Mark hadn't told me what I was going to expect when I meet you, I would probably be a mess."

"Mark told you!?" Jinyoung pulled away from the hug, staring at Nayeon in disbelief. "That little ."

Nayeon laughed.

None of them said anything as the memories of that day came flooding back into their minds, a sad smile formed on both of their faces while they stare at the spot where the confession took place.

"They are just memories now." Jinyoung whispered quietly, the sad tone in his voice causing Nayeon to tear up. "If I was still here, they would probably be happy memories but-"

"Stop." Nayeon interrupted him. "Don't continue anymore. You're here."

"Nayeon, stop being stubborn."

"You stop being stubborn!" Nayeon cried out, wiping her tears away harshly as she kept her eyes on Jinyoung. She continued shortly after, her tone getting weaker. "You've been with me for the whole of my life. What am I supposed to do without you?"

Nayeon slowly squatted down, hugging her legs together as the tears flow uncontrollably again. She hadn't been crying since that fight with Jeongyeon and ironically, it's Jinyoung's presence that made her tears flow again.

Jinyoung sighed and stood by a side helplessly. If he was still alive, he would have wrapped his arms around her comfortingly. If he was still alive, she wouldn't be so broken right now.

If he was still alive...

---------

Chapter 8 is up! It's not a long chapter but I think there's a lot going on here right? The different emotions in this chapter, can you guys feel them? This is kind of a Jinyeon focused chapter and it kind of makes me sad to write in such way. The dilemma of Jinyoung, the pain of Nayeon and how the fact that Mark is at a loss. What have I done to these three friends omg. Well, I hope Jinyeon fans enjoyed the flashback scene somehow and will hopefully last you till the next chapter HAHAHA. If you get what I mean. 

Okay that's all for now! 

#questionofthechapter Who do you feel most for? With no biasness!!

peace! ddeokbxkkii.