thirteen.

From A Distance

“Cake?!” Mark and Jinyoung both exclaimed at the same time.

“Do you even know how to cook?” Mark blurted out which got him a deadly glare from Nayeon. Recognising the glare as an “I’m going to kill you” message, he raised his arms in a surrendering way and gave her a sheepish smile.

“Mark’s right tho,” Jinyoung added on – he probably missed the glare – and glanced at the their younger friend, “I’ve only seen you succeed in making cup noodles.”

“Yah!” Nayeon yelled at them, an offended expression written all over her face. “I’m not that dumb to not even be able to read the recipe.”

The two boys gave her a nervous laugh and eventually gave in, following behind her to go get the ingredients that they need.

It was September of Nayeon’s first year of high school. They’ve always celebrated their birthday together since they all shared the same birthday month. It was an even bigger coincidence that both Jinyoung and Nayeon shared the same birthday. In the past years, they’ve only gone out for a meal and would buy themselves a big cake to share with each other. Bambam would occasionally join and last year, Jinyoung’s best friend in school joined them too.

 

However that was the first year that they’re going to bake their birthday cake. And, it definitely didn’t go as smoothly as they thought.

“Nayeon, that’s too much water!” Mark tried to stop her but it was too late.

“Well,” Jinyoung stared at the bowl of mixture. “More water, more flour?”

“Does it work that way?” Nayeon asked them, glancing at the bowl. The table was a huge mess with flour stains and the ingredients laying everywhere. Their faces were as dirty as the table and they could only pray for Nayeon’s parents to not scream at that.

“Let’s try that anyway.” Mark gave both of them a small shrug then grabbed the packet of flour, measuring the quantity with the cup before he poured it into the mixture.

“Ooooh.” Both Jinyoung and Nayeon teased.

“What?”

“Someone’s on his way to being a chef.” Jinyoung nudged him gently, the hint of teasing obvious in his gaze. Mark said nothing and rolled his eyes.

“Shut up and continue.”

The other two laughed at his reaction, understanding that he’s a little embarrassed with their teasing before they continue with their work. The kitchen got messier as their cake making session go. There were a lot of “Wait, not there!” and “Is it like this?” filling the air. If anyone were to walk past them, they would totally get that there were amateurs working in the kitchen.

“Ah, it’s burnt.” The three of them mumbled at the same time, staring at the charcoaled cake that’s just freshly baked from the oven. They straightened their body and looked at each other, bursting into laughter after.

“The both of your faces,” Nayeon giggled, pointing at the both of them, “Were you baking or learning how to do your makeup?”

“You don’t look that good either!” Jinyoung retorted back. “Shouldn’t you do better makeups since you’re a girl.”

Nayeon narrowed her eyes at him.

“Look guys, our cake failed. What do we do now?” Mark stopped their playful argument, which he succeeded in making them focus on him.

“Pizza and fried chicken!” The two boys rolled their eyes at Nayeon. She’s always the most enthusiastic when it comes to food. But at that point of time, they agreed that it was the best decision since the sky’s turning dark.

The three of them sat comfortably on Nayeon’s couch as they ate their mini party food.

“Should we call Bambam over?” Nayeon who’s sitting on the floor turned to look at the two boys who’re on the couch. “Jaebum too?”

“Bambam’s out for dinner with his family.” Mark answered plainly.

“Jaebum had been feeling unwell lately.” Jinyoung spoke with a drumstick in his mouth. “I think he’s down with a flu.”

Nayeon nodded quietly then spoke up again.

“What about our cake?”

That question made both Mark and Jinyoung paused in what they’re doing as they turned to look at each other. Jinyoung then glanced at their last complete pizza.

“That would be our cake.” Jinyoung used his head to gesture at the direction of the pizza. “You have candles at home right?”

Nayeon nodded, standing up at the same time and headed to the kitchen. She came back shortly with a big candle and lighter which, Mark took it from her and set it on the pizza.

“As usual,” Nayeon chirped happily and continued, “No song but let’s make a wish.”

The two boys nodded and all of them clasped their hands together, closing their eyes at the same time.

“Let the three of us be together forever and I wish that the other two will always be happy.”

That was the wish all three of them made that year and every other year.

It was September again, mid September to be exact. Jinyoung had not once entered into either Nayeon’s or Mark’s dream. Nayeon had tried bugging him to do it but everytime before she could even ask, Jinyoung rejected her.

That year, was the first year they would be celebrating their birthdays without Jinyoung. Neither Jeongyeon, Jaebum nor Bambam brought up the topic on their birthdays, fearing that it would trigger Nayeon. Mark was the only one who showed up at her place that morning on her birthday.

Nayeon stared at him, blinking a few times when she opened the door to be greeted with Mark and his many bundle of groceries in his hands. It was obvious she had just woken up.

“Not going to invite me in?”

It took Nayeon a while before she stepped to a side to invite the male in. Jeongyeon had gone home to visit her family. She had initially decided to not go since it’s Nayeon’s birthday and she didn’t want her to be alone. But Nayeon managed to convince her to, especially since she hadn’t been going home for a while because of herself.

“It’s morning, Mark Tuan.” Nayeon groaned, yawning after she said that. “You should be sleeping. You love sleeping.”

“I want a cake.”

“Huh?” She stared at him weirdly, why would he ask for a cake here. “Go get it from the bakery then. It’s not that far.”

“No I mean, let’s bake one.” Mark nodded firmly then pointed at the groceries bags, which he had just placed on the table. “I bought everything.”

Nayeon paused for a moment and he knew that she’s thinking of that year they’ve tried baking. He knew she would definitely think of it but rather than going out, he thought keeping her busy might be a better way to distract her.

“I didn’t receive one this year,” Mark gave her a small smile. “Now go wash up, I will prepare everything.”

Nayeon finally smiled before she headed towards her bathroom. On her way there, Jinyoung walked beside her and gave her a cheeky smile.

“You better succeed this time.”

“Shut up.”

It didn’t take Nayeon too long to get ready and by the time she came out, Mark already had the right amount of ingredients ready. He’s probably the best guy in the kitchen out of the three of them ever since he started living alone.

“Shall we start?”

This time, the baking was a lot more smooth as compared to the time when they tried baking during their high school years. Nayeon still had some confused moment in the process but Mark was always able to make sure it wouldn’t destroy the cake.

Everything was going smoothly until Nayeon tripped and the flour – which she was going to keep it – covered half of Mark’s face and body.

She blinked, taking a while to understand what had happened.

“Nayeon!” Mark’s loud voice brought her back from her trance, “Are you baking a cake or are you trying to make me into a cake?”

Nayeon gave him a sheepish smile but instead of apologizing, she burst into laughter – a laughter which all of them had never heard since the accident. Mark watched her as she laughed; he wasn’t expecting a laugh like this from her but she did.

Nayeon was laughing.

He stared at her for a brief moment, a smile filled with genuine relief and happiness forming on his lips. Nayeon was slowly coming back to them. His smile slowly turned into one that’s filled with playfulness as he stepped closer to her.

Nayeon, who understood what he’s trying to do, took a few steps back.

“I know what you’re trying to do.” Nayeon smiled nervously, “Don’t do it. Jeongyeon will be mad.”

Mark said nothing and once the packet of flour in Nayeon’s hand was in his reach, he grabbed a small handful of it and threw them at the other girl.

“Mark, you idiot!” Nayeon screamed when he smeared the rest of them on her cheek.

And that was the start of their war.

It was like they were kids again; it was like they’ve temporarily forgot about what had happened lately. Even though it was just for a short while, their laughter was genuine. Jinyoung who’s in the kitchen with them laughed along with them sometimes. He knew that Nayeon knew that he’s there; he caught her few glances towards him but he merely gave her a wide smile. As much as he really wanted to join them, he knew he couldn’t. That saddened him a little but just like his birthday wishes every year. He liked seeing them happy more.

The war between Mark and Nayeon lasted for quite a while until Mark remembered about the ready to be baked cake that’s sitting on the kitchen counter. That was when he let Nayeon attacked him for one last time before he stopped it.

“The cake.” He laughed a little, shaking his head. “I almost forgot about it.”

“Right.” Nayeon nodded too, glancing at the mold then back at Mark. “It’s ready to be baked right?”

Mark hummed quietly and nodded, turning the heat of the over up for a pre heating then turned to Nayeon.

“Go wash up, there’s nothing we can do now.”

“What about you?”

“In case you’ve forgotten,” Mark rolled his eyes, “I only brought ingredients, not clothes.”

“I have some big ones!” Nayeon’s eyes lit up slightly and smiled, nodding eagerly. “You can wear them.”

Mark narrowed his eyes at the girl; he definitely didn’t miss that evil glint in her eyes. But he agreed anyway. It’s better to be walking around the house with flour all over his body.

He regretted it.

Nayeon burst into fits of giggle when he walked out from the bathroom.

“Big ones, my .” Mark muttered, looking down at his body. It wasn’t exactly that small, but the bikini illustration imprinted on the shirt was definitely what he didn’t expect. Why did she even have this anyway?

“I bought it for Jeongyeon as a joke and she’d never wore it even once.” Nayeon smiled brightly then shrugged. “Since it’s right at the bottom of my wardrobe, I might as well lend it to you.”

“I’m going to dump it into the trash once I get home.”

The sound of the oven caught their attention this time. Nayeon ran to the kitchen excitedly which Mark followed after her hurriedly, making sure that she’s not going to hurt herself. He was right but thankfully he was quick enough to stop her from using her bare hands to bring the cake out from the oven.

The cake came out perfectly this time.

“Looks delicious.” Nayeon stared at the cake and smiled. “Jinyoung would like it, he loved chocolate cakes.”

“I know.” Mark muttered quietly beside her, a small smile on his lips. “That’s why I searched up recipes for them.”

“Really?” Nayeon straightened her body and looked at Mark in surprise.

“What?” He raised a brow, “You thought I would forget what my best friend liked?”

“Now, it’s just.” Nayeon paused for a short moment, “You believe that Jinyoung’s with us, right?”

Mark smiled and nodded.

“Wish him a happy birthday.” Nayeon muttered quietly, pointing at the corner of the kitchen, “He’s standing right there, been watching for a while. He was laughing too.”

Mark turned to where Nayeon was pointing then muttered a quiet ‘wait up’ before he headed out to where the groceries bags are. He came back soon with candles and a lighter.

“Couldn’t forget this, right?”

He smiled at the girl, taking a quick glance at the empty space where Nayeon had pointed at before he lit up the candle on the cake.

“Happy Birthday Nayeonie.” He reached out to pat her head, a gentle smile on his lips. He then turned to the empty corner again and whispered. “Happy Birthday, Jinyoungie.”

Jinyoung smiled, feeling his eyes turning watery.

Damn you Mark, for making me cry.

Mark and Nayeon (along with Jinyoung’s spirit) spent the rest of the day at home. They’ve forgotten about the mess in the kitchen until Jeongyeon came back that night. She came back to the two of them and the smell of fried chicken. It seemed like Mark had came to spend Nayeon’s birthday with her.

She was about to join them on the couch but the sight of the mess in the kitchen got her attention instead.

“What the hell happened here!?”

---------

this is a pretty light chapter. a lot more fluff and laughing and a bigger feel of markjinyeon's friendship. nayeon is definitely getting better and yes, mark is one of the biggest reason. obviously, right? HAHAHA. i used to be able to ramble about the chapter updated but i am afraid i'm going to blurt out some spoilers since it's almost reaching the end of this. jinyoung and mark, will meet very soon, promise. another week. HHAHAHA

 

i hope you guys enjoyed this chapter anyway!

peace!

p.s. someone, teach me how to get rid of a drama hangover. :(