twelve.

From A Distance

Mark had been feeling weird for the whole day; the dream he had last night was playing in his mind. It definitely felt weird but he couldn't put any words onto it. Why would he dream of that and Jinyoung's voice in that dream, it felt more real than any other dreams he ever had. Why would he dream of all those memories?

It was as if someone's trying to remind him about his feelings for Nayeon, which he had no need to be reminded of. He didn't want to be reminded; he shouldn't even be thinking of his own feelings at that moment. He was already cursing at himself for breaking down in front of Jeongyeon. No one, he hadn't wanted anyone to know about that ever.

Was that conversation the reason why he had that dream?

But he had no explanation for hearing Jinyoung's voice; he didn't even know one could hear another's voice in their dream.

Mark sighed and shook his head at those thoughts again before he focused on the report he had to write. It's probably nothing and just another dream. Maybe he'd been too stressed lately, which he shouldn't be since Nayeon had been smiling a lot more lately.

His thoughts shifted to Jinyoung again; was he the reason?

Mark messed up his hair as he groaned loudly in frustration, catching the attention of his colleague beside him.

"Mark?" He watched the male with a 'what are you doing?' look obvious on his face. "Are you okay?"

That brought Mark back from his thoughts. He turned to look at his colleague, forcing a small smile on his face as he nodded a little. But who was he kidding? If he was okay and good, those thoughts wouldn't have haunted him for almost the whole day.

Mark stared at his report on his computer screen again; the report, which he can finish in an hour usually, wasn't even half done. Sighing again, Mark rested his forehead on the table and let out an annoyed groan.

His colleague next to him gave him another weird look.

-

That day, Nayeon was on her shift again. She had indeed smile a lot more especially since Jinyoung hadn't been bringing up anything about him leaving. He had been staying by Nayeon's side even when she's at work and that's probably one of the reasons that contributed to her smiles.

Younghyun and her were talking again. He would occasionally bring Nayeon out for a meal at her favourite places and he felt like he'd finally gotten his sister back. Ayeon had also slowly resumed their wedding preparations but they both had no intention of rushing into it until it's confirmed that Nayeon's ready for it.

"Hey."

Mark's voice got Nayeon's attention while she was packing to leave from work.

"What are you doing here?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Mark shrugged his shoulders slightly, giving the younger girl a gentle smile. "Picking you up from work."

"Did you secretly memorise my shifts every week?" Nayeon narrowed her eyes playfully but Mark said nothing in reply. He merely gave her another shrug. Nayeon might have meant that as a joke but even though Mark himself had felt like a creep, he did remember all her shifts timing. He didn't even try to memorise it on purpose but somehow, he did.

"Let's go for dinner." He changed the subject as he took Nayeon's bag from her. She tried to say no but, he gave her no room to argue. "I'm hungry and there's no food at home."

Nayeon snorted quietly at his last sentence.

"To think I thought you're here to pick me up specifically," Nayeon huffed a little by his side as they're walking out of the café. "You're actually just looking for someone to have dinner with you."

"Maybe." The man smiled and replied casually. Nayeon didn't have to know about his own fears; she just had to continue smiling like this and slowly bring back her old bubbly self. He's pretty sure she still had nightmares at night since she looked a lot more tired on some days. But, it's enough just to see her smiles and that glimpse of her old self like she had shown earlier. Even if it's just for a short while.

Dinner ended up at Nayeon's place and with Mark's cooking.

"Stop giving me that look," Mark sat down in front of Nayeon after the food is ready, "You girls have nothing, absolutely nothing healthy at home. We should have went grocery shopping."

Nayeon frowned a little as she glanced at the table; there was only a bowl of ramen, a small plate of canned luncheon meat, a few side dishes that's pathetically little. She looked up at Mark again who raised an eyebrow at the sad face she's making.

"You make sure you eat what I cooked too when the fried chicken arrived." He pointed at her with his chopsticks, reading her mind completely. "I cooked these."

Nayeon's face instantly brightened as she grabbed her phone by the side of the table. Her actions paused for a while when she saw her phone's wallpaper of herself and Jinyoung and Mark caught that.

"You're so slow," He complained on purpose, taking her phone from her at the same time and called the fried chicken restaurant. Nayeon watched him as Mark told their orders to the other side of the phone; she smiled a little when Mark ended the call.

"You're lucky, they will come in half an hour."

"Stop pointing at me," Nayeon used her chopsticks to push Mark's ones away.

"Then eat first." He spoke in a low tone, picking a piece of the luncheon meat and placing it on her empty bowl.

There was a silent pause for a while before Nayeon ended it.

"Thank you, Markiepoo."

Mark smiled at the old nickname of his and gave her a slight nod. He knew that she's not just merely thanking him for the food but also for distracting her. She didn't have to say anything, he knew. That nickname was enough to tell him that.

The rest of the dinner was spent with Nayeon complaining about the rude customers she had encountered during the past few weeks of her working experience. It was quiet initially but Mark had successfully brought that side out from her when he asked about her day. It started from the story of a rude customer that day to every single story of the rude customers she had met.

Mark was silent most of the time not just because he's eating but Nayeon wasn't giving him any chance to speak up at all. So he ended up just listening and focusing on his chicken.

"Are you listening to me?"

Mark nodded lightly, glancing up at Nayeon briefly before he reached out for another piece of the chicken thigh. Nayeon narrowed her eyes and kicked him under the table which made him winced.

On the other side of the room, Jinyoung was watching them silently. Nayeon had listened to him this time and had not brought him up in front of the others. And the fact that he hadn't been mentioning about leaving and had been staying by Nayeon side brought smiles to her face again. However, he knew that it couldn't be like that forever and he would have to leave this world no matter what.

But that worry was erased for a short moment as he watched the interactions between his best friend and his girlfriend. He really had to give it to Mark for bringing the talkative side of Nayeon out and for him to understand Nayeon's every single thought. Mark had always been observant but maybe this time he's the one doing the watching, Jinyoung realized that Mark probably understood Nayeon and himself more than the two of them do.

Nayeon, she would be in good hands right?

-

That night, Nayeon was stirring in her sleep as she tossed and turned in her bed.

"Nayeonie." She sat up straight after, gasping for air. She looked around, it was still her room and it was still dark. However, something felt wrong about the whole thing. Jinyoung's smiling face caught her attention.

"It's still night-" She paused mid sentence; her gaze now fixed at her alarm clock by her bedside. The clock wasn't ticking; feeling weird, she checked the time on her phone instead. It stated that it's 3:33am, however it wasn't blinking like how it should be.

"We are in your dreams." Jinyoung explained before she could even ask anything.

"How-"

Jinyoung shrugged a little, the smile still plastered on his face as he walked to where Nayeon is and sat beside her. He held up his arm, pausing for a brief moment before he brushed his finger against her cheek.

Nayeon's eyes widened.

"I can feel you..." She whispered quietly, the tears welling up in her eyes. She had no idea why but the rush of her emotions brought the tears to her eyes; she had missed his gentle touch so much. It almost felt like he's alive again.

Jinyoung said nothing and rested his hand on her cheek. She let a tear fall from her eye as she brought a hand up and rested it on the hand of Jinyoung's that's on her cheek. Nayeon smiled wider, her tears dropping uncontrollably while she brought his hand down.

"How...?" She muttered, intertwining their fingers together and gave his hand a gentle squeeze.

"I miss you." That was the first three words that Jinyoung muttered after their short moment, "I miss you so much."

"I know, I know." Nayeon nodded her head and threw her arms around her lover's neck who wrapped his arms around her small waist in return. Jinyoung closed his eyes, burying his face against the crook of her neck, taking in her scent. A scent he missed; a touch he missed. He had wanted to hug her everytime he made her cry but being out of this dream, he knew it was impossible.

And now that Nayeon's in his embrace like this, it made him feel alive again.

It took them a while before Jinyoung pulled away from the hug, his eyes glistening with tears despite the small smile on his lips.

"I have no idea how but I think I have the ability to travel into one's dream." Jinyoung kept his gaze on Nayeon, "I'm still learning how to be a proper ghost, I guess?"

"Can I not wake up from this dream?" Nayeon interrupted him. That question made Jinyoung's face fall immediately.

"No." He stated firmly and shook his head. "I know, I miss your touch too but this dimension isn't for you. You're alive, Nayeon. Continue to stay alive."

"You're here because you miss me, right?"

"I do miss you, Nayeonie. I miss you a lot, you have no idea." Jinyoung squeezed her hand as he spoke. He glanced down at their hands then smiled a little, "This is enough for me. I entered your dreams because I'm selfish."

"Then continue being selfish."

Jinyoung sighed again. Was it a mistake to enter into this dimension with her like this? It was just a guess and he had no idea that his knowledge on supernatural books would help him like this. He had initially thought that if they were in the same dimension between the real and spiritual world, he might be able to feel her touch again. He had contemplated before doing because he wasn't sure how Nayeon would react. But his selfish side took over; his longing for her was too strong for him to resist that thought.

His idea might not have worked but it did. And Nayeon's reaction was exactly what he was worrying about.

"You're happier now, Nayeonie." He used his free hand to cup her cheek, brushing his thumb gently against her soft skin. "You're smiling a lot more, didn't you realize?"

"That's because of you-"

"No, it's not." Jinyoung cut her off, stopping her from her own assumptions. "I might have contributed a little. It's because I stopped mentioning about you moving on, isn't it? But, I'm not the only one."

"You are!"

"Nayeonie, you're being stubborn." Jinyoung's voice softened down, a smile forming on his lips as if he's trying to calm the other girl down. "But I'm really not the only one. Beside, this world, it isn't real."

"So what?" Nayeon retorted back, having no intention of backing down from her stand. "You're real, this feels real."

Jinyoung shook his head slightly, letting out another soft sigh before he stood up. He gave Nayeon a brief glance then stood in front of her, planting a soft kiss on her head. Nayeon closed her eyes briefly when his lips touched her head; she could feel his longing through that. She opened her eyes and looked up at Jinyoung's dark ones, which are staring back into hers.

He leant down and planted another kiss, this time on her lips. It was warm. However, he gave Nayeon no time to respond.

"It's time to wake up." He muttered and gave the corner of another gentle kiss.

Nayeon gasped, opening her eyes as she stared at the ceiling of her room. She sat up and looked around, it's morning. She knew that it wasn't a dream anymore and Jinyoung was nowhere to be found. He probably left to give her some time to herself.

"Damn you, Park Jinyoung." Nayeon sighed, covering her teary eyes with a hand.

---------

aha! you guys thought mark was going to meet jinyoung already, right? he will, eventually but not yet. jinyoung will appear in front of him at the right time. this chapter has a balance of both pairings, i hope it satisfy all of you! honestly, we are reaching the ending part of the story; as you can see nayeon is slowly slowly getting better. i am excited for the rest of the story so i hope all of you will look forward to them!!

peace out!