epilogue.

From A Distance

Jinyoung, how are you doing there? Are you in heavens now? Or have you moved on to your next life? Wherever you are, I really wish that you still have that smile on your face. Even though there were times I really wanted to punch you because of how you're mocking me with that signature smile of yours, I still wish that it would never leave you.

Whether it's in heavens or in your next life.

It's been another year and everyone's slowly moving on.

Younghyun and Ayeon are finally married. Their wedding got postponed after that accident, I still feel a little bad about it especially when Ayeon spent most of her time two years ago to take care of me. Younghyun, that lucky brother of mine, he found a gem.

Oh, did I mention that they are expecting their first child? I'm going to be an aunt! I've volunteered to be her babysitter – yes it's a girl – but despite my occupation, Younghyun said he doesn't trust me because I would end up dressing her up with all sort of cute clothes.

Bambam graduated, are you proud of him? That crybaby Bambam finally graduated, he's a working adult now. Let's keep this a secret between us, alright? I shed a tear during his graduation. He's still as talkative as ever; still the same old sunshine of our group.

We are still tight together. It really felt that we would be together forever even though we are heading onwards to our next part of our life.

Jeongyeon got herself a boyfriend by the way. Jaebum too. I really want to tell you that they are actually together but nope, they found their own partner separately. I've met Jaebum's girl once, her name is Jihyo. I really love the bright smile she has, it's warm. Jaebum, that cool guy probably really needs someone like her.

None of us have met Jeongyeon's boyfriend tho. She thought it was too early and she didn't want to scare him. Mark and Jaebum had asked a lot of questions when she announced it and she was worried that they both of them will scare that poor boy away.

Talking about Mark, he's still in his current job but he got promoted recently. I know everyone was worried about him then; he nearly got fired because of me. You knew that right? If he really did, I don't think I would be able to make up to him.

Thankfully, things got better.

Don't be impatient; I know you want to ask what's the progress of us. We aren't awkward, don't worry. He's still the same; if he's able to, he will come to my workplace and pick me up. I've once joked that at this rate, the kids will think that he's my chauffeur. He said he doesn't mind, have you seen such a dumb guy like him?

I still haven't given him a proper answer; neither did he push for it. Also, I think the rest know about us, except Bambam. He's always dense as you see. There were times he wanted to tag along with us but Jeongyeon and Jaebum would smack him as always. Though honestly, the both of us wouldn't mind him around. It's always louder with him.

I finally got myself a full time job and it isn't one like before. You probably would laugh at me if you were still here with us. I am now working at a kindergarten; it's tiring when the kids start crying but at the same time, I like how innocent their minds are. And when they run up to me, telling me that they love me as their teacher.

It was comforting.

Sometime, I would wonder if any of the kids I'm taking care of are your reincarnations. However, thinking about it, you would only be a year old if you did move on to your next life.

"Nayeon?" Mark interrupted my thought when he stepped into the columbarium. "Are you ready to go?"

"Just give me another short while, I'm almost done."

What in the world have I done in my past life to meet the both of you? Who am I to deserve all these love I'm receiving and had received? This guy, he never once complained even though I've thrown tantrums at him at times. I'm starting to be comfortable with our current status.

Not as two friends but something more now.

Jinyoungie, I think I'm probably going to say yes soon. It's like what Jeongyeon had said, Mark had girls after him and I really don't want to lose him to anyone.

So, forgive me for being selfish again.

Because, I feel like with Mark, even as time goes by, even for me, I think I will still be happy. We will still be happy.

You can be fully at peace now, Jinyoungie.

—————
and this, is the end of From A Distance. thank you for sticking with me throughout! i will do a proper author final note later! since it's the final chapter, share your thoughts on the whole story with me please?

see you soon!