Handshakes Over Dinner

HouseMates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Feeling better, today?"

Bae Joohyun peered over her shoulder to find her housemate greeting her with a bright boyish smile on his face as he entered the kitchen. She was absentmindedly stirring her spoon in her glass of hot tea when Taehyung walked in and distracted her thoughts with the question. Turning herself around to face him fully, Joohyun cleared a little, taking a small sip of her drink and then nodded. 

"Much better than I was two days ago, Thankfully..." -She said, returning Taehyung a lopsided smile as she leaned back against the kitchen counter, "Guess all I really needed was a good rest. In about ten minutes, I'll be heading back to work. Back to reality, that is." she lets out a sharp exhale, massaging the back of her neck as if she was dreading the idea of going to work, something that was pretty unusual for someone who's very dedicated to her job.

Thankfully, the two days of medical leave was sufficient enough for Joohyun to recuperate from her unbearable flu. Although she had refused to call in sick and stay home initially, she now felt a little too disinclined to leave for work knowing the number of backlogs and flooded emails she has to attend to. Apart from that, she was also in low spirits knowing that the 'special treatment' she has been receiving from her housemate for the past two days would come to an end now that she has recovered.

It wasn't like Joohyun enjoyed falling ill but as odd as it seems, she somehow liked the feeling of being cared for by the gentleman who she initially thought would be the last person in the world she could ever count on. It turns out that beneath all that exasperating demeanour Kim Taehyung had shown her, he was surprisingly considerate and evidently a warm-hearted gentleman.

Joohyun couldn't help recalling how Taehyung, without even being asked or told, turns the air humidifier on for her when he found her sitting in the living room watching a tv show, wrapped like a cocoon in her purple blanket. He even got his neighbour, Seokjin, to cook her some warm soup and porridges just to ensure that she doesn't skip her meals even though she has told him that she didn't have the appetite to eat. Not to mention she actually caught Taehyung occasionally checking up on her when she felt his cold palms pressing on her forehead while she was laying 'asleep' on the living room's sofa.

It was undeniably comforting to have someone looking after her when she doesn't even have the strength or mood to do anything at all for herself. Who would've thought that the person she detested so much was the very person who'd take care of her when she really had no one else to depend on?

"Well, be sure to take an umbrella with you today. The weather is pretty unpredictable, lately. You don't want to be walking in the rain and fall sick again." -Taehyung said, shuffling towards the fridge to grab a carton of milk, then walked over to the racks to get himself a glass and began pouring the drink into it.

He was expecting a response from Joohyun, knowing how she always has something to say to annoy him. Strangely enough, he realised that it was the endless playful squabbles they share that has brought them closer and somewhat improved their relationship as housemates. He has gotten so used to their back and forth bickerings and teasings that he looked forward to having one with Joohyun, every morning. However, that morning was an unusual one since Taehyung didn't immediately receive a response from Joohyun like he normally would.

Upon realising that the atmosphere in the kitchen has gotten oddly quiet all of a sudden, Taehyung took a quick glance at his housemate only to catch her looking back at him with a gaze that was rather intense, yet soft. With the look Joohyun was giving him, Taehyung could easily guess that her mind was elsewhere, at the moment and she was probably not even listening to what he had said to her earlier. Awkwardly shifting his eyes back to his mug, Taehyung cleared his throat aloud in an attempt to help Joohyun snap out of her daze but surprisingly, she didn't even move an inch. Her eyes were still staring back at him like he was a piece of art that she was admiring. 

"Uhm..."-Taehyung gulped, suddenly feeling a rush of heat flushing up against his cheeks, "Hey, is this just a thing that you always do or...is there something on my face? I just need to know so I can get used to this...umm...staring thing you always do."

"W-What?" -Joohyun's eyes instantly widened when she finally realised what she was doing. Immediately breaking off from his gaze, Joohyun quickly shook her head and denied, "I wasn't staring at you. It's just...uhmm..." -she panicked, looking everywhere but at him before she blurted, "M-Milk moustache!"

"Huh?" -Taehyung gave a questioning frown at her incoherent reply. 

"Y-You've got a milk moustache..." -she pointed out, "...on your lips." 

"Wha- Oh." -He blinked, "Is that why you've been giving me the look? Well...I guess milk moustaches happens when one is drinking milk..." -he said the obvious, lifting his glass up to show it to Joohyun before he gulped down the rest of the drink and wipe his lips off with the sleeves of his Pyjamas. "You're funny, Joohyun."

"And you're disgusting. You could've used the napkin, Taehyung." -Joohyun winced at him and continued to sip on her drink, acting like she wasn't feeling the air of awkwardness in the room, "What's the use of buying napkins if you're only gonna use your sleeves to wipe stains off your face?"

Rolling his eyes at her, Taehyung shook his head and said, "Hey, it's not a crime, alright? You need to chill. Will there ever come a day where Bae Joohyun would stop nagging like an old lady? 'Cause I'd be the most thankful person on Earth if it happens." 

"Maybe there will..." -Joohyun retorted with a slight smug on her face, "...and maybe that day will come only when Kim Taehyung knows how to act less like a kid and more like a man. I wonder when that will happen..."

Taehyung only kept himself quiet and replied her with a playful wink as he walked out of the kitchen. Caught off-guard by his actions, Joohyun felt her heart froze for a moment, not being able to react or respond. She never knew how a wink could be so powerful to hit her with a wave of incomprehensible fluttery emotions in a split second and make her forget how to breathe. Regaining her composure only 30 seconds later, Joohyun quickly made her way out of the kitchen and paced up with her housemate. 

"Wait! Kim Taehyung." -She called his name out loud and clear, making him halt his footsteps and turn around. 

"Mm?" 

Joohyun could've sworn she had all the words aligned in her head. She had spent the whole of last night standing in front of the mirror, practising the words she wanted to say to him and gathered all the courage she needed, overnight. However, the second Taehyung turned around and looked at her, her mind went completely blank. Standing tongue-tied right in front of Taehyung, Joohyun stared back at him stupidly with a nervous gaze and a heart pounding strong. 

"What?" -Taehyung asked, giving her a weird look when she didn't say a word. "Why are you looking at me like that? What else is on my face?"

Immediately shaking her head 'No', Joohyun answered, "N-Nothing. I'm leaving now. See ya." 

She quickly hastened her feet to the living room where she had left her bag and keys, grabbed them along with her and quickly walked her way towards the main door. Putting on her shoes in a jiffy, Joohyun then pulled the door open and quickly left the house without a goodbye. 

"What a weirdo..."-Taehyung muttered to himself.

<<------>>

"Really, Hyung? You didn't show up and left me all alone in this studio for two days because Ms Bae Joohyun was sick?" -Jungkook asked, emphasising on the number as he twirls his swivel chair round and round in boredom. 

It was a slow day of just video editing in the studio for Jeon Jungkook, who worked alongside Taehyung as a freelance filmmaker. Sharing about the same passion and profession, the two friends had started out their venture as photographer and videographer two years ago right after completing their college, starting small before they embark further on their career journey and purchased themselves a small studio in Gangnam to use as an office. 

Working with Jungkook was something Taehyung initially felt a little sceptical about, worrying that their brotherhood would be threatened if any work conflicts were to occur between them. However, as time passed, he soon learned to actually like being workmates with his best friend since he found out that they both understood each other better than anyone else and even if there were any misunderstandings that arise between them, they could comfortably talk things out and make up within a day or two. No grudges, no sabotage.

However, that day Taehyung wished he hadn't worked with Jungkook at all. Two hours have passed and Taehyung had lost count of the number of times Jungkook repeated the same question to him despite already receiving an answer for it, the first time he asked. He was holding on to the last string of patience within him, tolerating his friend's annoyances the best he can. 

"You did not show up and accompany me at the studio for TWO DAYS because your housemate...the person you claimed to hate...was...SICK? Really -"

"Jungkook, I'm seriously gonna kick you and that chair of yours out of that door if you don't shut the hell up." -Taehyung warned, turning towards his friend to give him a glare before he shifted his gaze back to his screen. "I mean it."

"Woah~ho~ Relax. I was just asking..." -Jungkook chuckled, rolling his swivel chair closer towards his friend, "I'm just trying to process why you took two days off work when you're not the one who got sick. I mean...I just don't get it."

"What is so hard for you to understand? I took two days off to take care of my housemate." -Taehyung reasoned, "I mean...she was really sick." -he said. 

"Big Deal, huh?" -Jungkook raised an eyebrow at him, "...and how old is she again? Hmmmm...Eight?"

"Alright, look." -Taehyung sighed, massaging the bridge of his nose as he turned to give Jungkook his full attention, "I know where you're getting at and before you start questioning me again, I'm gonna tell you the answer. Yes. She is a grown woman and is capable of taking care of herself...But," -He paused then said, "I just can't let her be on her own, that day. She knocked on my door, looking as pale as a sheet. She looked like she could pass out anytime. Her f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter