Splurge

HouseMates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bae Joohyun returned home from work with a sullen look on her face, entering the door furiously as she heaved out a loud frustrated sigh and threw her keys on the dining table. Pushing her hair back, Joohyun then hurled her bag on a chair and folded her arms, trying her best to cool herself down before having a word with her boyfriend, Kim Taehyung. 

"Hey. You're home, already?" -Taehyung shuffled out of his room, all spruced up with his house keys in hand, "It's only 5.  I thought I told you I was going to pick you up after your work ends...but I called and you didn't answer. Did you get off early?"

Noticing how Joohyun was only glowering at him without saying a word, Taehyung could assume that there must've been something he had done wrong. The deadly glare she gave was one he recognized well and he knew he couldn't be wrong about it. However, as usual, he doesn't have a clue of what he did, this time. He made his way towards her hesitantly as she continued to give him the threatening glare as if she was hinting him that he'd probably get a slap if he gets any closer. Although that risk was high, he still approached her to give her a kiss on the cheeks, just the way they would normally do when they greet each other home. The fact that she didn't pull away, made Taehyung feel a little less nervous, hoping that the 'wrong' he had done was just a minor problem.

"Alright. You know I've always said that you look y when you're mad..." -Taehyung gulped, "...but I would appreciate it if you could tell me why. Stop scaring me with those pretty eyes."

"Oh you're not getting away with your sweet words tonight so please don't even try." -Joohyun scowled, "Are you sure that you really don't know what you did, Kim Taehyung?" -she questioned, narrowing her eyes at him just to make him a little more nervous.

Hesitantly shrugging as he scratched the back of his unitchy head, he said, "I really don't but I guess I'm in deep trouble now since you're calling me by my full name. Let's see...this week was my turn to do the chores and I've done them all. We had Japchae last night, my favourite...in my defence, you couldn't decide what you wanted to eat. Hmm...You wanted a quickie this morning and I gave it to you. Uh...I've also let you top me last night. What else? Could you help me out, here? 'Cause I really don't have any idea what I've done, at this point."

"Hmm...let's see..." -Joohyun said, taking her coat off before she flicked her hair behind her shoulders and folded her arms across her chest. "I was settling my bills for the month, this afternoon and then I got a call from Yoona Unnie telling me that from this month on, I should be settling my rental payments with the new owner of this house who just so happens to be my own boyfriend. Could you explain that, Kim Taehyung? Since when did you become my landlord?"

"Oh...ahaha...that." -Taehyung feigned a laugh, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck that was getting tense. "Uh...well..."

"So, what you said the other day was bull, then. You tried to hide the fact that you bought the home we're both living in and you thought that I wouldn't find out about it, eventually? When were you planning to tell me the truth, Taehyung?" -Joohyun questioned, her tone of voice was gradually raising up causing Taehyung's heart to shrink seeing her get upset with him.

"T-Tonight?" -He stammered, 

"Why didn't you tell me that you decided to buy this home from Minho? No, forget that. Most importantly, why did you have to lie to me?!" -Joohyun gave him the third degree, "Why did you lie to me about Minho renewing our lease?!"

"Babe, calm down." -Taehyung nervously chuckled, "It's not a big deal. This house will officially be ours, in a few month's time. I've paid the downpayment the other day and I'm settling the rest of the payment in cash, by the end of the year. It'll all be settled before Minho leaves for Japan. The best part is that you don't have to pay rent, anymore because...well, you're living with me, your boyfriend. Why are you getting mad at me? Isn't this what you wanted?"

"Why am I getting mad, you ask? I thought that we were getting this place together. How is this home 'ours' when you've paid them all on your own?!" -Joohyun furiously replied, "Just where did you get all that money to spontaneously make the decision to buy a home, overnight?!"

"What do you mean where did I get the money? I got it from my own pocket. Where else did you think I would get the money from? Why is that so important to you?" -This time Taehyung was beginning to get irritated and a little offended with her words, "Did you think I couldn't afford to buy a home with my own savings?"

"Well, if you could afford to buy your own home all these while, you wouldn't be living on rent for the past three and a half years!" -Joohyun retorted,  "Not to mention that you were irresponsibly late on your rental payment before I came to live here with you! It's just hard for me to believe that 550 million won came out from you alone!"

"I never thought I needed to have a home of my own yet, at the time and I was pathetically picking myself up after a bad break-up and found comfort in spending my money recklessly on things that I thought could make me happy!" -Taehyung argued, getting as equally loud as Joohyun as he speaks, "The only reason why I decided to get this house, was you. I wanted to make you happy. I just don't understand why you always have to get so worked up whenever I spend on you and why it matters to you where I get my money from!"

"Because I know you don't earn a lot to afford a 550 million won home in a day and your tendency to mindlessly spend beyond your means, worries me!" -Joohyun snapped back. "It's not that I don't appreciate the things you've given me. You have always been amazing at taking concern of how I feel and what I need but this is too much for me to want to accept knowing your situation. At this point, I'm just hoping that you're not in debt with anyone!"

"Wow! Did you really have to make me sound so pitiful? I can promise you that I'm not in debt with anyone, Joohyun! I did not take a loan, either if that's what you'd like to know too! Damn it! There's no winning with you!" -Taehyung's raised his voice at her before grasping his hair in annoyance, immediately regretting using the tone on her.

"Maybe I don't earn a lot with the job that I have right now but I'm not as pathetically broke and reckless as you've always thought I was. I'm just a man who wants to make my lady happy. I would go out of my way just to keep you happy but I still know where my limits are. I wish you could just, for once, appreciate the things I do for you and for us. Trust me, if I had known you'd get this upset over me buying the house for us, I wouldn't have bought it at all. Thanks for ruining my night." -he said before turning around to head back into his room and closed the door shut.

"T-Taehyung?" -Joohyun's voice trembled when she noticed his downcast eyes and how he was actually trying his best to shut his anger out before he turned around to leave for his room.

Walking towards Taehyung's room, Joohyun fiddled with her fingers, feeling a little hesitant to put her hands on the doorknob. She did not intend for the talk to get this intense but both of them got heated up along the way and she was not fully aware of the things she had said to him. All she wanted to do at that moment was apologize and make up but her pride was holding her back. After all, Taehyung had lied to her. She had the right to be mad at him. What she regretted was the fact that she had not handled the talk well enough. She had let her anger get the best of her, yet again.

"Taehyung..."-Her faint voice called out for his name. "Please open the d-"

"There's no use talking if we're only going to end up shouting at each other's faces." -Taehyung replied from the other side of the door. "I think we could both use some time alone, tonight." 

Joohyun's eyes were already b with tears as she stood silent in front of Taehyung's bedroom door. Of course, she was still a little upset with Taehyung but she was a lot more frustrated at herself for the choice of words she had used in a fit of anger, the words that have unintentionally hurt him. She knew that she could've confronted him in a nicer way but it was a little too late to realise it now. Wiping her tears away with the palm of her hands, Joohyun turned back around and made her way to her own room. 

Meanwhile, Taehyung who was sitting at the edge of his bed, couldn't stop cursing himself for upsetting his girlfriend with a move he had initially assumed, would make her happy. Burying his face in his hands, he heaved out a loud, heavy sigh before dropping himself down to the mattress and stare blankly at the white plain ceiling.

"Why do I always mess things up? I'm such an idiot!"

 

<<------>>

The next morning, Taehyung woke up to a puffy-eyed Joohyun who did not wish him with her usual cheerful 'Goodmorning, Baby!' greeting after what went down between them last night. She was already dressed in her rose pink blouse tucked in a cream-coloured pencil skirt, a pair of outfit that Taehyung bought her a few months back. Her perfume was sprayed just enough to drown him in desire but his pride was holding him back from his urge to give her a hug and bury his face on the crook of her neck.

As much as he tried to resist, he couldn't help but kept his gaze on her, shamelessly admiring the way her long, brushed and flowy hair falls back in place when she pushed them behind her shoulders. Every feature about the lady he loved has always been perfect since the first time they met but he knew that there was something she was missing, that morning.

'Her smile...' -he thought.

They weren't talking to each other at all throughout breakfast except exchanging a 'Thanks' and 'You're welcome' when Joohyun prepared them breakfast and Taehyung offered to wash the plates, afterwards. The quiet morning and the awkward atmosphere was certainly making them uncomfortable but they were both pretending to be as equally unbothered as they could, towards each other.

"I'm leaving for work, now." -Joohyun's soft voice spoke as she makes her way towards him and tiptoed to reach for his cheek for a kiss. "I won't be home for dinner, tonight. I've got a lot of of...work that needs to be done...so, you don't have to wait for me."

"I won't be home for dinner, either." -Taehyung replied, "I'll be at the studio if you need to find me, tonight. Have a good day at work." -he replied coldly, lifting up a faint smile on his face as he stared down at his glass.

"O-Okay...You too." -Joohyun replied with a shaky voice, blinking her eyes fast in hopes that she wouldn't tear up. Immediately turning away from him, Joohyun heads towards the main door and left. 

<<------>>

"H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter