Rebound?

HouseMates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Glancing down at her wristwatch, Bae Joohyun lifted up a smile on her face knowing that there's only a minute left till she could knock off from work and meet her boyfriend at his studio.

Stretching her arms out, she then turned her laptop off just as her other colleagues were beginning to pack up. Using the laptop screen as a mirror, she began to fix her hair and apply a little bit of touch up on her face so she wouldn't look too dead when she shows up at her boyfriend's workplace, later on. Digging into her bag, she took out a small bottle of perfume and sprayed it on her wrists and neck, then finally got up from her chair as soon as she was done dolling herself up. 

"Let me guess..." -Her colleague, Jennie said, "Another date night with Mr Photographer?"

Coyly smiling at Jennie's query, she shook her head and replied, "Not really. He couldn't pick me up today 'cause he's caught up with work...but he told me that I could come over to his studio if I want to...so...I'll be making my way there from here."

It was Joohyun's first time visiting the studio that Kim Taehyung co-owns with his best friend, Jungkook and apart from her excitement towards finally checking out on her boyfriend's workspace, she was feeling a little happy that Taehyung still wanted her to be with him despite being occupied with his work. She has always thought that the two best friends(Taehyung and Jungkook) had something to hide since Taehyung had never once offered to show her the studio they built with their own hard work. Not until that evening.

"Ugh, you guys are inseparable." -Jennie grimaced, wearing her bag on her shoulder as she too prepares to leave. "Well, have fun but not too much fun. You still gotta come back to work tomorrow. Toodles."

"See ya." -Joohyun waved her friend goodbye before pulling out her phone to make a call to her boyfriend, "Hey babe."

"Sweets, I'm really sorry I couldn't pick you up today."

"It's really fine, Tae. I've just finished. I'll be there in a bit. Would you like me to grab you and Jungkook some dinner?"

"It's fine, baby. We're good. Just be here in one piece, okay?"

"Alright. See you later! Love you."

"Love you more."

'Knock, Knock!' 

Joohyun shuddered at the sudden sharp knocking sound produced from the desk from behind, echoing in the office that was now almost empty. Immediately lifting her eyes up from the screen of her phone, Joohyun turned around to find her boss, Lee Minhyuk, smiling right at her. She couldn't tell if was a reflex but she was already rolling her eyes at him before realising it, not even bothering to return a smile or a greeting.

Office hours have ended, after all, and she did not see any reason why she needed to speak to him at all. Knowing how Lee Minhyuk's flirtatious manners around women have the tendency to create rumours among his employees, Joohyun would always try to limit her interaction with him, making sure that he wouldn't have the slightest chance to get her involved in another lady drama with whoever he was currently dating in the office. 

Taking her bag into her hands, Joohyun hastily exited the office and rushed towards the lift lobby. She pressed the elevator button continuously, hoping that she could catch the elevator right before Minhyuk catches up with her, although at this point she knew that the chances of her escaping him were slim.

"Joohyun..." -Minhyuk was quick to stop the elevator door from closing just as Joohyun entered it.

"Damn it..." -she muttered through gritted teeth, pushing her hair back in frustration knowing that she has no other way to escape now that the elevator door has closed shut and was going down. 

"Why are you always running away from me?" -Minhyuk asked, leaning against the wall of the elevator right across of her.

"What do you mean?" -She feigned cluelessness at her obvious actions earlier on, trying her best not to be rude at the same time. "I was just running for the elevator. I'm in rush, actually..."

"Oh, where to?" -Minhyuk asked, "I can give you a ride if you're running late. I think I kinda overheard you telling Jennie earlier that your boyfriend isn't picking you up today."

"Yea but no thanks...I'm good." -she simply said, keeping her eyes on the screen of her phone to give Minhyuk an obvious hint that she was not the least bit interested to have a conversation with him.

"Is he busy, today?" 

"Hm?"

"Is your boyfriend busy, today?" -Minhyuk repeated his question a little clearer, this time stressing on the word 'boyfriend'.

"Mhmm..." -Joohyun simply replied, still keeping her eyes on her phone.

"Well, I guess the honeymoon phase of your relationship is slowly coming to an end. How busy can an unknown freelance photographer like him, be?" -he murmured under his breath, smiling as he ed his sleeves to fold it up.

"I'm sorry, did you say something?" -Joohyun asked, 

"Nothing. Just...uh...I guess I'll see you tomorrow. Are you really sure you don't need a ride?" -He asked again, trying his luck only to get turned down immediately. 

"Nope."

"Well, then I guess I'll see you tomorrow." -he smiled and walked out of the elevator as soon as its door opened.


<<------>>


"So, Joohyun's coming in a bit. I'm gonna go grab some drinks at the store." -Kim Taehyung rose up from his swivel chair, grabbing his wallet and phone before he made his way towards the door. "Do you want me to get you anything?"

"Banana milk." -Jungkook gave his friend an absent reply, eyes glued on the screen of his desktop.

"Hey, don't forget to open the door for Joohyun when she comes, alright?"

Immensely focused on his video editing, Jungkook only acknowledges Taehyung's reminder with a nod and a thumb's up. He knew that the only reason why Taehyung had invited Joohyun over to their studio was that he had audaciously broken their 'rules' on not allowing any guests to come over to their shared workspace. The night before, Taehyung had come down to the studio to collect some of his camera equipment only to find Kim Yerim sitting on his chair next to Jungkook, both equally engrossed in a video game they were playing on his computer. Though Taehyung didn't really mind it at all, he thought that it was only fair if he gets to bring Joohyun over to the studio too whenever he wishes and Jungkook was completely fine with it. His only worry was being the third-wheel in the small studio, later on when the couple starts to get all over each other.


'Knock! Knock! Knock!'

"Taehyung? It's me, Joohyun."

'Well, that was fast...' -Jungkook thought.

"Just a sec!" -Jungkook rose up from his chair, pausing his work before he shuffled his feet to the door. Tapping on the sensor switch, he pushed the door open to find Bae Joohyun carrying a bag of what he could easily guess was Hotteok, the snack he'd always get from a street stall just a few blocks away from their studio. "Sweet, you've brought my favourite snack. Uh, Anyway..." - he stepped aside as he holds the door open for her, "Come in..."

"Hey, Jungkook. Good thing I bought enough for all of us. Umm...where's Taehyung?" -Joohyun asked, hesitantly entering the studio as her eyes searched around for her boyfriend.

"Oh, don't worry. He'll be back. He went out a minute ago to get some drinks." -Jungkook smiled and pointed out at the long couch and a bean bag at the corner of the room. "Take a seat...or lay around if you want to. Just make yourself at home."

"Uh...okay." -Joohyun hesitantly sat down as she placed the food on the small round table in front of her, eyes curiously looking around at the studio that has all sort of camera equipment, large and small, two long tables that fit the area just perfectly, two monitors, two laptops and two swivel chairs. The room was way too messy for her eyes to tolerate but the space constraint was a good enough reason for her to understand why they couldn't possibly do anything about it.

"Yea...I know." -Jungkook chuckled at the clear expression of distress on Joohyun's face as she was looking around the room, "We need to get rid of some of the stuff in here...or maybe we just need a bigger place. Just know that most of these things aren't mind. They're your boyfriend's."

"Hey, no, no. The studio's perfect. It's...uhmm...cosy?"

"Was that a question or a statement?"

"Uh...A statement." -Joohyun replied him with an awkward grin, then pointed at the Hotteok pastry in the bag, "Umm...would you like some or do you want to wait for Taehyung to come back?"

"Let's just wait till he comes back." -Jungkook said, shuffling to his swivel chair to take a sit.

There was a long pause of silence as both of them exchange a few glances around the room, not knowing what to talk about to each other. In that split second, Joohyun recalled the time she first had an awkward conversation with Jeon Jungkook at the club, the first time she went out partying with Taehyung and his friends and how he clearly sister-zoned him before she could say anything more, to him. Not really wanting history to repeat itself, Joohyun decided not to start a conversation at all with Jeon Jungkook until he initiates it.

 "So~ Ms Bae." -Jungkook finally breaks the uncomfortable silence between them.

"Yea?" -Joohyun answered almost immediately. 

"Tell me. How has it been like dating Taehyung?" -Jungkook took the opportunity to ask Joohyun things he had been secretly wondering about.

Of course, Taehyung often gushes about Joohyun to his friends and tells them how much he liked her despite strongly denying it, a few months back. At this point, Jungkook knew how obsessed and in love Taehyung was with the girl sitting right in front of him. However, Jungkook was more curious to find out how Joohyun feels about his best friend. A part of him was definitely concerned for Taehyung since the last relationship Taehyung had got into, didn't turn out quite well. Even though Kim Yerim (his girlfriend),  hav

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter