Give up Or Give In?

HouseMates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Jennie quietly observed as Bae Joohyun anxiously taps her fingers on the surface of her desk and constantly checks her phone. Ever since Taehyung's accident, Joohyun has been rather low-spirited at work and her mind would always be preoccupied with concern and worry for her boyfriend. At lunchtime, she hardly touches her food and would only speak when being asked a question. Her unenthusiasm towards everything lately has been worrying Jennie who was used to receiving vivacious energy from her, while at work.

Joohyun was never really one who likes to discuss her personal problems to anyone and Jennie didn't really know how she could help her friend out without seeming as if she was prying on her business. She was only getting a little more concerned about Joohyun when she starts to catch her friend lose focus at work and get berated by their manager for her unsatisfactory work performance. 

"Hey...are you alright?" -Jennie hesitantly asked. 

"Yes...I am." -Joohyun plainly replied, immediately placing her phone faced down on the table before shifting her gaze back to the screen of her desktop.

"Ugh..." -Jennie rolled her eyes and rest her chin against the palm of her hand, "You know you at lying. It's totally fine if you don't want to tell me what's going on but...please don't lie. You're really bad at it. In case you change your mind, I'm always here to listen. I'm just letting you know that..."

Joohyun knew that Jennie was the type of person who would not leave someone alone until she gets what she wished to find out. Judging from the worried look on Jennie's face, she knew that her friend was only genuinely concern about her and she hated the fact that she was subconsciously disconcerting someone else with her behaviour. However, as much as she had made an effort to suppress her emotions and put up a false front at work, she just couldn't help herself from getting distracted with the thought of her boyfriend and their relationship upheaval.

Sighing deeply before Joohyun turned her swivel chair towards Jennie, she said, "I'm sorry. There's a lot that's going on in my mind, lately. I just..." -she paused, pushing her hair back as she sighed again before her eyes began to turn watery. Shaking her head, she then buried her face in the palms if her hands and started to sniffle. 

"Alright. You know what? You need a break. Come on." -Jennie said, grabbing a box of tissue papers as she stood up from her seat. "To the pantry. Let's talk over a cup of tea."

Joohyun reluctantly rose up from her chair as Jennie pulled her arm. As soon as Jennie had managed to drag Joohyun into the pantry, she made and served her crying friend a cup of hot tea and biscuits before she took her seat. Then she quietly allowed Joohyun to cool down, gently patting her on the back as she patiently waited for her to speak.

"Alright.  What's the matter?" -Jennie asked, gently patting Joohyun's back as she sipped on her drink.

"It's Taehyung..." -Joohyun tucked her hair behind her ears and sniffled, "He's meeting his ex-girlfriend today..."

"What?" -Jennie furrowed her eyebrows at Joohyun's words in disbelief, "Are you serious? How could he? I mean I know that he couldn't remember a part of his memories ever since the accident but has he completely lost his mind? No wait, you're aware of it so...why the hell are you allowing this?"

"I already knew about it  before he went to meet her. He told me his reasons and I let him. I just couldn't say no..." -Joohyun said, "Who am I to stop him or decide if he could or could not meet a person he knew, loved and actually remembers in his life? I do not control him, Jennie. He's not a robot with no feelings."

"Uh...we're not talking about just anyone here. We're talking about his crazy ex-girlfriend. Given his condition, I bet you that vixen could easily manipulate his mind." -Jennie answered, "You could've told him that you're not happy or comfortable with the idea of him meeting an old flame and if he respects you enough as his girlfriend, he wouldn't do something that would...upset you or put the relationship at stake."

"Our relationship was already at stake since the day we found out that his memories of us have been erased off his mind..." -Joohyun covered her face in her hands as she speaks, "Right now, he doesn't see me as his girlfriend. Ha Na is. I'm just a stranger everyone is forcing him to recall. My feelings probably don't even matter, to him. His friends and I had originally planned to keep him away from Ha Na and not bring her up but...he kept asking for her every single time. He said that he felt guilty being around me and he needed to find out if his relationship with Ha Na's really over like what everyone has said. I couldn't bear seeing him so confused and stressed out about the matter so...I let him meet her."

"So...why are you crying?"

"Because...I have a feeling that this meet-up could mean the end of us..." -Joohyun's voice cracked as she wiped the corner of her eyes, "His mind is currently set to a time where he was still very madly in love with Ha Na. Who knows what could happen when he finally gets to see her again? I'm not ready to lose him yet...but right now, I feel like I've already lost him."

Wrapping her arms around Joohyun, Jennie pulled her into a hug and said, "Hey, don't say that. You can't give up now. We don't know how this meet-up is going to go. Maybe when he finally sees his ex-girlfriend's face, he'll remember the reasons why he broke up with her. Maybe the memories that he needed to remember would start kicking right back into his head. Both of you have shared the best times with each other. Those unforgettable emotions you've given him throughout the relationship, aren't something he could find in anyone else but you. I'm pretty sure he would remember you, ultimately. He just needs time. He's your man. Not Ha Na's. Not even anyone else's. So don't let him slip out of your hands no matter how hard it is to hold on. You love him, don't you?"

"Of course..."

"So don't give up too soon." -Jennie said, placing a kiss on her friend's forehead as she hugs her tightly. "You got this."

'If I can't give up...then maybe I'll have to give in...' -Joohyun thought. 

 

<<------>>

Fixing his hair as he checks his reflection on the screen of his phone, Kim Taehyung nervously waited for the arrival of the person he has been so eager to meet, Min Ha Na. As he had requested, Jungkook eventually set him a meet-up with his ex-girlfriend and made them a reservation at a fine dining restaurant of his choice, for their rendezvous.

Although Taehyung was feeling elated to finally get to see Min Ha Na, a part of him was undeniably apologetic towards Joohyun for unintentionally upsetting her with his decision. He had actually thought of calling off his plans that day as he didn't really want to have any ill will between himself and Joohyun considering the fact that they were living together. However, he really couldn't bear holding on to the doubts that were sitting on his mind. He needed to find out what truly happened between himself and Ha Na and if their relationship was really over. He thought it was only fair that he hears the answers from Ha Na, herself in order to justify that what he has been told so far, wasn't all a lie.

It honestly hurt him that Joohyun had been acting indifferent towards him all week ever since she found out from Jungkook about the matter. She has kept herself locked up in her room whenever she's home and would only come out when she's headed for work or needed a drink. He tried to break the uncomfortable tension between them with random conversations but she'd only answer him in short sentences that would instantly put an end to their chat.

As Taehyung awaited Ha Na's arrival, he hadn't realised that his mind was subconsciously thinking and worrying about Joohyun. It was only until he felt a tap on his shoulder a few minutes later that he was immediately snapped out of his thoughts and got back to reality. As he turned around, he found the very person he had been anticipating, standing behind his chair looking just as beautiful as she has always been in his eyes.

"Ha Na...?"

"Taehyung...Hi." -she greeted him sweetly, "You've no idea how

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter