Or Like?

HouseMates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The stunning colour of the sky as the sun began to set, denotes the end of another hectic weekday, in Seoul City. Kim Taehyung was in a packed public transport, caught in a heavy traffic while on his way home. 

Peak hours in Seoul was something he has learned to endure ever since he moved to the city but he was beginning to get impatient when the bus he was boarding hasn't moved for the past 15 minutes.

He was expecting a package delivery in less than about five minutes and he was beginning to worry that he would not reach home in time before the delivery man arrives. When his phone rang, he immediately reached for it from the pocket of his pants and tried to answer it with one hand, keeping his balance in the packed bus with the other hand holding on to the bus handles.

"Hello. Yes. Yeah, this is me speaking." -Taehyung answered, "Uh...I'm caught up in a jam, right now. Is it possible for you to come a little later?... What was that? You've already arrived?" 

'Damn it!'

The delivery man has reached earlier than he had hoped. Taehyung knew that he couldn't make the guy wait and he also knew that the guy would most probably just drop his parcel at his doorstep and leave if he doesn't show up to collect it. The items he had ordered were a little too expensive and precious to be left unattended outside his home and he was not willing to take the risk of getting his purchases stolen.

Momentarily, in that few seconds of anxiousness, Bae Joohyun's face popped up in his mind. He knew that she would have already be homed by this time and there was no one else that could possibly help him to collect his goods other than her. This was probably the one good thing he had discovered about having a housemate, that day. 

"Alright, listen. There's an intercom machine if you look to your right. Press the bell and..."

Taehyung began to instruct the man on what to do through the phone as he tries his best not to topple towards the person next to him.

<<------>>

Meanwhile, back at home cooking herself some Omurice was Bae Joohyun who was already changed in her purple robe gown, all freshen up after taking a hot bath. Living close to her workplace was pretty much convenient for her since she gets to skip the traffic and human congestion during the peak period.

Moreover, arriving home early allows her to do a lot of things that she needed to get done for the day before she crawls up in her bed and rest with a peace of mind. Everything about living in the new house that she has recently moved in to was blissful except, of course, the fact that she has to share the house with a very annoying housemate. 

Joohyun was flipping omelette on her frying pan when the sudden ring of the doorbell startled her. She knew that her housemate would normally come in on his own when he returns home. He had his own keys and he also knew that he couldn't count on Joohyun to open the door for him without having to grant her a favour in exchange. 

Remembering her agreement with Taehyung, the both of them were not allowed to invite any guests around if they haven't gotten any consent from each other. She wasn't expecting anyone and Taehyung never informed her if he was expecting a guest either, that evening. Curious, she turned the heat of the stove down and wept her hands clean before she shuffled her way to the door to check on who the guest could be.

Pressing on the intercom which the landlord had installed in their home, Joohyun glanced at the screen to notice a man in a cap standing behind the door, fanning himself with his hands as he stared back at the camera, very closely. As she watched the man wave at her from the screen with a wide grin on his face, her brows furrowed with wonder.

'Am I supposed to know who this person is?'

"Uh...Hi. How I can help you with?" -She asked through the speakers in a tone so sweet and polite. 

"I have a delivery for Mr Kim!"-the man answered vaguely, flashing out his company card on the camera for her to see so she knows that he wasn't deceiving her.

'Delivery? What has Kim Taehyung ordered, this time? I wonder.'

It was the third time that Joohyun had collected something at the doorstep, on Taehyung's behalf. The first one was some apparels that he had purchased online, for himself. The second one was shoeboxes that arrived in a stack of three. This time, she pulled the door opened to find the delivery man carrying a rather large brown box in his hands, sealed securely with tape. 

She wasn't expecting the box to be that heavy when she the delivery man handed the parcel to her.

"Careful, miss. These are fragile items." -The man said, feeling a little inclined to help her when he noticed how her petite body was trying to bear the weight of the parcel.

"Do you need a hand? I could help you carry them in if you want."

Joohyun was never one who would heedlessly allow any stranger to step into the house. She always doubts their intentions and was fearful that they would try to harm her once she lets them in. Although the delivery man was only trying to offer her a hand, she still vehemently refused his help. 

"It's alright. I got it. I got it." -Joohyun said, struggling to withstand the weight of the box in her arms as she brought it in. "What in the world has he purchased, this time?" -she muttered to herself, putting them on the nearest table at the living room before she walked back to the door.

"Alright, ma'am. The customer has already settled his payment online so...I just require you to sign the paper right here to acknowledge that the item has been collected." -The man passed her his clipboard of receipts.

"Okay..."

"So...you're his Mrs, I suppose? Boy, is he lucky. The last time I came around to deliver his packages, he said he was living alone." -the delivery man said as he stood with his hands by his hips and watch Joohyun pen down her signature.

Lifting her eyes up from the clipboard right after she had scribbled down her signature on the paper, Joohyun snorted a laugh and shook her head.

"Oh, no. You're mistaken." -She chuckled, "I'm not his Mrs. I'm just another tenant of this house. We're housemates." -she said, feeling the need to clear it up to the guy.

"Oh, housemate. My apologies. Well, he's still a very lucky guy to have a beautiful lady like you for a housemate." -said the delivery man.

"Why, thank you. How I wish he'd realise that though..." -She heaved out an exasperated sigh followed by a shake of her head, "Anyway, is that all for him?" 

"Yes, ma'am. I shall make my leave now. Have a good evening!"

"You too." -She smiled, watching the man leave before she closed the door shut. 

Oh, the sweet side of Bae Joohyun that Taehyung never gets to see. 

Yet.

<<------>>

 

Unlocking the door with his keys, Taehyung pushed it wide opened and entered the home with a look of sheer happiness on his face. Stretching his arms out, he swung his bag to the nearest couch and strolled in with a little bit of a bounce on his feet with every step he took.

"Honey~ I'm home~~" -He greeted out loud, causing Joohyun to almost choke on her dinner at the dining area, upon hearing his deep voice echoing down the room. 

"Who are you calling honey?" -She asked, wincing at him as her eyes intently followed him where he walked.

"Not you. Definitely not you." -He scoffed, merrily making his way towards the brown box on the table in the living room. "This. This is my honey."-He gleamed, tapping the parcel gently with his fingers.

Shuffling his way towards the kitchen, Taehyung grabbed himself a knife and walked back into the living room to unbox his parcel. His excitement was very apparent, from the way he was smiling. They were camera equipment that he had been wanting to get his hands on, for the longest time and he had been anticipating the parcel to come since the moment he woke up, that morning. 

From the dining area, Joohyun quietly yet admiringly observed as her housemate opened the box in exhilaration, looking like a little kid opening up their presents by the Christmas tree. Indeed, he was still very annoying to her but that irresistible charm of a smile that he was flashing out so freely, really has its way to make her heart flutter. 

She couldn't look away. 

It wasn't like Taehyung hadn't notice Joohyun looking his way from the corner of his eyes. He could already feel his cheeks burning hot from the intense gaze she was giving him as he was unboxing his parcel. He was not too sure if Joohyun was doing it on purpose to fluster him or if she was just really bad at being discreet when it comes to checking someone out. After all, this was the second time he has caught her looking at him that way.

"Urghm..." -He intentionally cleared his throat only to see Joohyun quiver in her seat in surprise. Instantly turning away to the other side, Taehyung pursed his lips tight, trying to hide his smile upon noticing Joohyun's clumsy reaction. 

Snapping back into reality, Joohyun instantly shifted her gaze back to her plate, feigning nonchalance as she continued to eat her food.

"Uh...H-Hey. You know, you should've told me that you were expecting a delivery to arrive, Taehyung." -Joohyun spoke,"I almost had a heart attack when the guy showed up at the front door. He was literally shoving his face into the camera." 

"Really?" -he gave her an absent response as he took out the camera equipment out from the box. 

Knowing that he wasn't really listening to her, Joohyun rose up from her chair and casually joined him in the living room. Sitting on the edge of the armrest of the sofa, she quietly watched as Taehyung carefully examined the lenses he had purchased, to check if there were any defects on it.

"Aren't you going to say something to me?"-She asked, "Something like a...'Thank You' maybe?"

"For?" -he questions her back, still keeping his eyes to a camera lens that he was holding in his hands. 

"I mean..." - She flicked her hair to the back of her shoulder and crossed her arms, "I know it's not a big deal and all...but I've been helping you-" 

"Thank You for helping me collect my orders for the past few days." -He cuts her off, finally lifting his eyes up to look at her, "I appreciate it." -he smiled.

Caught off-guard by Taehyung's sudden change of manners, Joohyun froze for about two seconds before her mind runs back as per normal. It was probably the nicest words she had ever heard coming out of his mouth. Normally, his response would only cause her to start a childish argument that would usually lead to him pulling faces at her and imitating her words and her getting all offended over it.

She wasn't expecting Kim Taehyung to easily thank her ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter