Surprise, Surprise

HouseMates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lazy nights made up of cozy cuddles and warm mugs of hot chocolate on the long sofa were Bae Joohyun's favourite thing to do with Kim Taehyung. His warmth was her comfort and his kisses never fail to bring a smile upon her face. Nothing felt better than laying against him with his arms wrapped around her waist and their fingers tangled around each other's as they share stories about their day and have serious conversations about the future. 

Although it was still a little too early to tell, Joohyun was more than confident that their relationship was slowly heading towards a positive direction, one she had always secretly pictured in mind. She really liked how Taehyung was never afraid to discuss the future with her, not only sharing his wishes and expectations but also listening and giving his thoughts and opinion to hers. His assurance and genuine interest towards the matter had somehow given her hope that things might turn out the way she expected out of this relationship.

"What are your thoughts if one day, perhaps soon, we move out of this rented house and purchase a shared apartment of our own?" -Taehyung asked, lowering his head down to lean against her neck as he speaks, "Do you like that idea?"

"Hmm...I don't know." -She hesitantly replied, tracing patterns on his hands with her fingers as she ponders on about his question. "Eventually we do have to move out of this place but honestly, I don't want to...and if a day comes where I have no choice but leave this house then for sure, that day would be the saddest day of my life."

"Why is that so?"

"Although it has only been almost a year, this house holds a ton of memories that I cherish most. Memories that I've made with you. I'm not really good at letting go, Taehyung." -Joohyun heaved out a sigh as her eyes wandered around the living area. "If Minho and Yoona Unnie decides to put this house up for sale, I think I would probably buy it."

"Excuse yourself. I'm calling dibs on this place." -Taehyung immediately replied, "I've lived here much longer than you did. If Minho were to sell it to anyone at all, it should be me."

"Oh, please. You couldn't even pay your rent on time..." -Joohyun argued teasingly,

"If you were talking about the old Kim Taehyung then yes, you are right. I couldn't." -Taehyung said, "...but the new Taehyung here has cleared off all of his debts and has been paying all of his bills on time. For all you know, I could purchase this house tomorrow."

"We'll see about that." -Joohyun chuckled, turning herself over so she could lay herself on top of him and look at his face as they speak, "That's enough talk about this house. We're not even sure if Minho is ever going to give this house up to anyone yet. Let's talk about me and you, instead." -she said, combing the sides of his hair with her fingers. 

"What about us?" -Taehyung asked, repositioning himself on the sofa so Joohyun wouldn't topple down.

"Well, in less than a month, it would be a year that we've known each other. I know we did not have a good start but meeting you was...one of the most special thing that has happened in my life so far and I really want to remember it." -she said, lightly tracing the shape of his eyebrows with her fingers, "I was thinking if we could take some time off from work and do something special, together to commemorate our first meeting. What do you think?"

"I think that's a great idea. What do you have in mind?" -Taehyung asked, caressing her cheeks as he gazed at her admiringly. "Just say it and I'll try to make it happen."

"Hmm~Actually...I do have something that I've been planning out in my mind...but I kinda want to make it a surprise, for you. Could you make yourself free for a week?" -She asked, 

"A surprise, huh?" -Taehyung raised an eyebrow and smiled, "I can clear my schedules just for you. A week should be fine...but I wonder if your boss, Minhyuk, would mind having you away from the office for a whole week, though..."

"Why would he? There's a handful of ladies in the office for him to hack off. He'll be fine. Why do you always have to mention about that jerk?" -Joohyun asked, already annoyed at the mention of her boss's name. 

"I was just teasing you...come on, now. Stop frowning at me like that." -Taehyung lightly pinched her cheeks before leaning in to give her a kiss. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright...but please don't ever mention his name again. I really hate it." -She sighed, leaning her head against his chest, "I'll tell you when the surprise is ready. Alright?"

"Sure, baby. Can't wait!" -Taehyung replied, squeezing her in his arms as he tries to bite her cheeks.

 

 <<------>>

 

That weekend, on a Saturday afternoon, Bae Joohyun met up with Son Seungwan, at the Koya Cafe for a casual catch up and a drink. Joohyun and the girls had actually planned to hold a picnic that noon but the arrangement was cancelled when the rest of their friends informed that they weren't able to join them, at the last minute. 

Park Sooyoung had audaciously ditched her friends for a cooking lesson they never knew she had any enthusiasm about. Apparently, Kim Seokjin had called her over to his place because she has been showing some 'interest' in his cooking and recipes and he was 'feeling passionate and kind enough' to teach her how to bake a shepherd's pie, that weekend. Kang Seulgi, on the other hand, was being asked on a date by Park Jimin at the last minute and she couldn't possibly turn him down for her friends. After all, it was a chance she has been waiting to happen, for quite a while. Meanwhile, Yerim had decided that she'd rather be spending her Saturday annoying her boyfriend, Jungkook if there wasn't going to be a full squad.

So there Joohyun was, sipping on her hot tea a teaspoon at a time, chattering about her life with one of the wisest person she loves having conversations with among her friends, Son Seungwan.

"So...you know Taehyung and I have been taking things slow in our relationship, right?" -Joohyun said, stirring her spoon in the cup of warm tea she had ordered for herself.

"Mmhmm, as slow as a snail..." -Seungwan emphasized, her mind was with Joohyun but eyes lurking towards the direction of the cafe counter where Kim Namjoon, Taehyung's friend was, busy guiding his new staff on how to operate the espresso machines.

"Well, I know we've been dating each other for a few months now...but I can't believe that I've been living with him for almost a year already. Things started out pretty bad between us but it eventually got us to where we are, right now. I won't lie, Taehyung and I have got quite an ego but I have to say that we're both getting good at apologizing. Everything has been going great, so far."

"So, what's the next move?" - Seungwan asked, "Are you planning to give it another year just to be sure that he's really 'The One'? Or are you already a hundred per cent sure that he's 'The One'?"

"To be honest, I am not really sure that he's 'The One' yet but...what I'm certain is that I'm ready to take this relationship to another level..." -Joohyun sheepishly said, "I kinda want things to go a little faster between us, now."

"And by that...I'm assuming you mean...???" -Seungwan raised her eyebrows at Joohyun as she waited for her to finish her sentence. 

Gesturing for Seungwan to come a little closer, Joohyun leaned in to whisper into her ears.

"Wha - You're not serious, are you?" - Seungwan gasped at her friend's statement, not being able to believe what she was hearing from Bae Joohyun. "I mean -Woah...I'm speechless, right now."

"Why? What's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong. It's just...you know, it's coming from you, the one person that I know who, at one point in her life, finds relationships distasteful and hates every man that comes her way and tries to hit on her." -Seungwan elaborated, "It surprises me that you're making the decision to finally engage in a ual relationship with Kim Taehyung. I mean... if it's the rest of our friends, I wouldn't have been surprised. But this is you, we're talking about. It's a big deal. Kim Taehyung is one lucky guy."

"Why, thank you, Seungwan." -Joohyun smiled, then slowly beginning to get agitated when Seungwan proceeded to eat her dessert instead of continuing the conversation. "Well, as you mentioned, this is a big deal." 

"Yeah..." -Seungwan said, slowly chewing on her food as she exchanged a smile with Kim Namjoon who just so happens to be looking her way, at the moment. "It is a big deal."

"So..."

"So..." -Seungwan gave an absent reply as she gave Namjoon a little wave to which he only replied with a wink. 

"Who are you waving at?" -Joohyun instantly digressed from the topic and turned to look at the direction Seungwan's eyes were gazing towards. 

"Uh, nothing..." -Seungwan immediately shifted her gaze back to Joohyun and said, "I'm sorry. Where were we?"

"Well, you're not new to this..." -Joohyun timidly shrugged, before she hesitantly questioned, "C-Could you share me some...I don't know tips or something I should know that you might think I don't...know?"

"Trust me there aren't any tips and you don't need one either..." -Seungwan gave Joohyun a smirk and a wink, "You'll know what to do. It'll all happen naturally. Oh right, make sure he pulls out before...you know..." Seungwan gestured for Joohyun to come closer so she could whisper into her ears. 

Giving Joohyun a wink, Seungwan said, "Goodluck. Have fun at your vacation. Tell me how it goes as soon as you come back here, alright?"

 

<<------>>

The Surprise

As soon as he entered the hotel room, Taehyung ran in and immediately jumped onto the perfectly made bed, spreading his arms and leg out as he flashed the biggest smile on his face. He got up only to pull Joohyun's arms towards him before catching her waist and pull her down to the mattress. Then he wrapped his arms and legs around her as they lay side by side, face to face. 

"Taehyung!" -Joohyun chuckled, trying to get off from the bed only to get pulled closer to his frame. "We've just arrived, baby. Let's unpack before we go grab some lunch."

"Let's just stay this way for a minute." -Taehyung snuggled up against her after placing a kiss on her cheek, "Thank you for planning this surprise for us, Joohyun. I wasn't expecting you to fly me out to Jeju."

"I just wanted this trip to be a little more personal, just you and me, being away from everything else that has been stressing us out." -Joohyun said, lightly Taehyung's hair with her fingers. "Let's not waste our day. We've got a lot of places to visit. I'm also starving, right now."

"Your perfume is making me want to stay like this forever but fine..." -Taehyung said, reluctantly getting out of the bed, "I can't let my lady be hungry. Come on, let's go get lunch."

<<------>>

After a hearty meal, the couple sauntered around Jeju Island together, walking hand in hand as they enjoy the spectacular view of the island. Taehyung, being the sneaky person that he is, would always try to get a perfect shot of his girlfriend admiring the view of the places they visited, without her realising it. He'd also stop other tourists just to get them to take photographs of him and Joohyun together because the selfie shots they've taken were not satisfactory to him. 

Although Joohyun was glad that Taehyung was having a good time, she gets slightly embarrassed whenever Taehyung shamelessly stops a stranger and make them take pictures of them because, one, Taehyung would make sure to reposition their angles so the photographs they captured would turn out just the way he wanted. Secondly, he'd get them to capture at least three shots of them hugging, him kissing her cheeks or the both of them staring into each other's eyes as if they were having a photoshoot. He'd wear a sullen pout when he was not satisfied and put on a happy smile when the photographs turned out great.

"Tch, these people don't even have the littlest skill. Look at this shot, baby. It would've been perfect if it wasn't blurry..." -He sighed as he shook his head, showing Joohyun the pictures on the LCD screen of his camera. 

"They're fine, Taehyung. You're just a perfectionist." -Joohyun lightly pinched his cheeks before she spreads her arms out twirl herself around, enjoying the island breeze, "Ah~ Isn't this place amazing? Clear blue sky~fresh air~and heavenly views everywhere we go~"

Sneakily capturing a shot of Joohyun with his other pocket-sized film camera, Taehyung said, "You are one heavenly view that I enjoy the most, Joohyun."

Upon realising that he was taking a picture of her, Joohyun folded her arms across her chest and gave him a sharp glare. "How many cameras did you bring to this trip, Kim Taehyung?"

"Just about...four?"

"Could you please~ put them away for once and just enjoy the view with your eyes?" -Joohyun pleaded, pouting as she takes the bigger camera out of his hands, "I can't help but feel like you're on a work trip holding these things 24 hours a day."

"Hey, I'm only making sure that we'll have something to look back to when we get back home to our busy lives, baby. Weren't you the one who said that you wanted to remember this day?" -Taehyung asked, cupping her cheeks into his hands before squeezing them. "Besides, it doesn't feel like work to me because I'm with you. These cameras are my toys and you're my favourite view. As long as you're smiling, I'm enjoying my day."

"Ugh, you're always so good at sweet-talking and I hate the fact that I like it." -Joohyun sighed, "Well, let me play with your toy for a while, then. You've been taking photos of me, all day but you haven't got one taken for yourself. You're my favourite view too, you know."

"Fine, sure. Play with it all you want but make sure the photos don't turn out blurry." -Taehyung warned, 

"Alright, Mr photographer~Let's keep walking. We've got so many places to see." -Joohyun said, linking her arm around his ones as she frolics on the pavement.

 

<<------>>

 

After a long day of sightseeing and filling their stomachs with good food, the couple decided to call it a day and head back to their hotel for a rest. In between the long walks, the two of them managed to discuss their relationship on a deeper level, telling each other their life plans, how they wanted their relationship to be in the years to come and what they would do to get there. The casual discussion about the future really made both of them have a clearer perspective on their relationship. This was exactly the way Joohyun had wanted things to be, getting to spend quality time with her boyfriend and taking their minds off things that tires them, like work, for instance. 

While waiting for the elevator to arrive, Taehyung began to tease Joohyun with his usual playful acts, pulling her in his embrace and smother her face with kisses as she tries to pull away from him. He had absolutely no issues showing affection in public, especially when he knows there were other men around looking at his girlfriend as if it wasn't obvious enough that she's with him. Joohyun would know whenever he gets jealous because that is exactly when he would get extra affectionate than he already was. 

This time, however, he was behaving a little more chummy and intimate for no apparent reason. There were barely any men in sight except for a few couples lounging around the waiting area at the lobby waiting to check-in or check-out but Taehyung couldn't stop behaving flirtatiously towards her. As much as Joohyun was enjoying it, she couldn't help but feel a little shy when the hotel staff and receptionists glance their way. 

"Baby, people are watching us." -she whispere

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter