The Past Is Past

HouseMates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Closing the door shut as soon as he entered his bedroom, Kim Taehyung plopped himself on his mattress, covering his face with the palm of his hands as he lets out a soft frustrated grunt. Laying his head over his right arm and placing his left hand across his chest, he then looked up and stared long and hard at the ceiling of his room, pondering over the words Joohyun had said to him earlier that night.

His mind was keeping him wide awake, occupying him with thoughts about what Joohyun had said earlier and the decision he needed to make. 

"Coward..." - he muttered to himself, then closed his eyes shut and sighed. 

Taehyung knew that he owed Joohyun an apology for the way he behaved, earlier on. He wasn't blind enough to not notice the tear stains at the corners of her eyes even though she had wept them off her face before she came over to the kitchen and talked to him. He also wasn't dumb enough to not know he was the very reason why she had cried. He honestly hated how involuntarily loud and rude his tone of voice could get when he gets upset. It definitely wasn't in his intentions to hurt Joohyun with the unethical behavior but his anger had definitely gotten the best out of him, that night and he was absolutely regretting it. 

Rolling himself to the right side of the bed, then to the left side, Taehyung curled his arms around his bolster, trying to find a comfortable position on his mattress in hopes that it could somehow help him fall asleep. Knowing that he was going to have another long day of editing at the studio the next morning, Taehyung really needed a good rest to recharge himself. He has always believed that good mood equates to great work performance and good mood only comes around when he gets a good rest. However, with all the loud mental chatter that was going on in his head, falling asleep just seemed impossible.

Rising up into a sitting position on his bed, Taehyung grasps his hair tightly, grunting before he got up on his feet and started to pace back and forth repeatedly in his room. Afterwards, he heaved out a really deep sigh and grabbed his jacket along as he walked out of his room.

'Knock, Knock, Knock'

"Uh...hey, Joohyun. Are you asleep yet?" 

....

"Joohyun?"

"Door's not locked. You can open it." 

At her faint and what sounded like a sleepy reply, Taehyung immediately reached for the handles of her door. However, just as he was about to twist the doorknob, he immediately halted. Although granted permission, just the thought of mindlessly entering a lady's room at almost 12 midnight, not knowing what she could be doing behind the door, instantly made Taehyung re-think his actions. He definitely wasn't a priggish person per se, but he was a man of manners and he definitely knows how to respect a lady's personal space. Barging into Joohyun's room at such a time was just absurd, to him. Of course, he couldn't have thought about this, earlier.

When the door was suddenly pulled open, Taehyung took two little but very quick steps back, looking surprised at the sight of Joohyun who was already dressed in her pyjamas and hair tied up in a messy ponytail. It never failed to amaze him how beautiful she looked, regardless of the way she presents herself. However, he couldn't lie that the frown she was wearing on her face was scaring him out a little.

"You seriously just had to make me get up when I'm already settled down on my bed?! Seriously? And...what were you doing outside my door? Haven't I told you that the door's unlocked?! You just couldn't open it yourself, could you?! " - She grumbled in annoyance, pulling her scrunchie out to undo her ponytail then angrily ties them back a little neatly, this time. "What do you want?"

"Uh...first of all, I think it's best that you keep your doors locked if you're...using your room." -he said, awkwardly pointing out at the door. 

"Why?" -Her brows knitted in confusion, wondering why Taehyung's being so cautious about unlocked doors at midnight. "As long as I'm in this premises, I'm fine with my bedroom door being unlocked."

"Well, you should consider locking it from this day on."- Taehyung replied, then shrugged, "You know...safety precautions. If a burglar were to break into our house, you'd be the first to get hurt 'cause you left your door...accessible."

"And you're concerned because?" -Joohyun questioned,

"Because I'm your housemate who actually cares about you..."-he simply answered.

"Oh, do you? Will slapping my wrist help you get over this whole 'not locking my door' problem? If it does then please go ahead and do it because I really don't want to be arguing with you at such an ungodly hour. What is it that you really want, Kim Taehyung?" -she questioned, folding her arms across her chairs as she narrowed her eyes at him. 

"Uh..." -he hesitated to answer, gently brushing the back of his head before he continued, "Would you...umm...would you like to join me on a therapeutic walk, tonight?"

"A therapeutic what? Like now? Right now?" - Joohyun blurted out a string of questions at once, giving him a look of disbelief. "Taehyung, it's late. I've got work tomorrow and I-"

"Please?"- he interjected her, seeming a little distressed from the desperation in his voice. "I...I really can't sleep, tonight. I just need some air to ease my mind and I could really use your company, right now."

"I honestly don't know what is up with you, Kim Taehyung." -Joohyun massaged her temples as she heaved out a soft sigh, "You wouldn't talk to me, earlier on and when I tried to help you out, you just went...bananas! Now here you are, standing in front of my room just to nag about the importance of locking my door before I go to bed and then asking me out for a walk at midnight. You can't just blow someone off then come right back whenever you feel like it. You've had your chance to talk and I really don't feel like getting yelled at again. So, no. The answer is no, I do not want to join you on this 'therapeutic walk'."

Nodding his head slowly as he pursed his lips, Taehyung dropped his gaze and said, "I understand." -he stuffed his hands in the pockets of his jacket, sighing as he looked back up to face her, "I'm sorry if I bothered you. I guess I'm going to have to take a walk alone, then. Goodnight."

Turning his back on her, Taehyung unenthusiastically dragged his feet towards the main door and grabbed a pair of trainers from the shoe rack to put on. He would've just taken the short walk on his own like he usually would when he needed to clear his mind but the point of him actually wanting Joohyun to tag along was so that he could properly apologize for unwittingly making her cry, earlier that night. He knew that waiting until sunrise would be a much more appropriate time to do so but he honestly couldn't wait that long without feeling like trash. It was one of the main reasons that were keeping him up, that night, after all.

"Wait..." 

Taehyung felt a hand lightly grasping on his shoulder just as he was done knotting his shoelaces and was about to get up and leave. Turning around almost immediately, he found Joohyun hastily putting on her jacket and zipping it up before grabbing her own pair of shoes on the rack.

As Joohyun knelt down to tighten her shoelaces, she sighed and said, 
"I know what I said earlier. I really didn't want to join but...honestly, there is no way I'm letting you take a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter