Can You Stop Bugging Me?

Run Me Like A River
Please log in to read the full chapter

WenShu laughed. She laughed because she was as what she had expected, wrong. She was wrong when she expected Lisa will comfort her and they will together curse that ungrateful Jaebum who she had wasted her 3 years for something that he claimed as not love.'Am I the only one who had been in love then?' She sighed. Looks like she need to start taking lessons of love then. She sounded pathetic even in her own head. 

WenShu is too busy in her thoughts to realize that Lisa was engrossed in an animated conversation with the Chinese cashier at the counter and she still had not ordered anything in the past 20 minutes. He was attractive, that much she can say from his not-so Chinese face. It's not that she is implying that Chinese people are unattractive but even among her Chinese relatives, they seemed obsessed with having bigger eyes and sunbathing for melanin, both in which are obviously not the physical features naturally possessed by the Chinese.

Looking around Baskin Robbin, there is only one family around other than her and Lisa. It was raining cats and dogs outside with the wind howling and swaying trees. Surely, many people will not want to catch cold eating ice-cream at this time. Anyone but her. Truly, what a great day! Not only that she got dumped by her boyfriend, she also got ditched by her best friend and the weather. WenShu had no idea who is the guy that Lisa talked with just now and she is too lazy to care. She just want her ice-cream, chocolate chips with vanilla toppings. Simple and she can see that Lisa also got her all-time favourite strawberry ice cream as well in her hand when she approached her. 

It felt so much like back when they are still primary school students, hanging out after school with no worries (except for grades, her parents will kill her if she failed so it becomes her constant nightmare, that's how scary Asian parents can be). Now, she is back in this shop, reminiscing about her love story that just ended with no warning, no sign, no whatsoever. She could still see herself hand in hand with Jaebum happily walking across the street, munching on popcorns in which they had bought at the cinema. The popcorn was so scrumptiously delicious with its dripping caramel and chocolate frost that she literally went there just for the popcorn but not to watch movie. It is because she preferred watching movies alone so that she will not get distracted by any sounds that other people will make other than her.

Jaebum especially disliked this fact as watching movie is his idea of romantic night out but when she fell asleep when he had forced her to accompany him one day, he gave up as she was wasting his money. WenShu grimaced, is that the reason he broke up with her? 

"Stop pouting. I bring you here at this joyful place not to hear your pitiful sighs. A break-up is a break-up. Just move on. If you love him so much, just go and take him back. I won't call you shameless." Lisa knew her words may sounded harsh, but she had been best friends with WenShu for years in high school so she knew that no matter how harsh the words that she said, it won't affect WenShu just like how water will not be affected by the oil. This is because the Chinese girl in front of her had tons of experiences handling curses and swear words coming from other people and Lisa can proudly say that WenShu now has got thick skin and elastic heart. 

"Nah, even if he beg me on his knees to come back to him, I will not go! Do you think I cried because of him? I cried because I wasted 3 years with him! He said if I truly love him, I will not flinch everytime I am with him. I still flinched when my father shouted at my brother. Does that mean I don't love my father? What nonsense! I think he is just finding excuses to break it off with me. How dare he dumped me!"  

WenShu got so worked up that she had only realized the other family had stared at her awkwardly after she had finished ranting. Their chidlren was whispering to the father while the mother keep shushing her little son. She might had accidentally raised her voice. Lisa remained unaffected, busily sipping her drink occasionally looking at WenShu and her phone. WenShu could not bring herself to feel guilty because there are so many things that she had kept hidden in which she thought was much easier to forget but she still cannot forget.

She wanted to say that he also did not know what love is. She knew that he had kept her for convenience and she felt frustrated that she had let him be. She can remember clearly the day when Jaebum stood her up, left her waiting at the football field for four hours because he was hanging out with friends after the football match, totally forgotten about her. He did not even utter an apology, telling her that she should just go back home if she cannot reach him.She also remembered how unapologetic he is when she is late to their meetings at his parent's house. It's true that it is her fault that she overslept but she had apologized earnestly to his parents yet he still complained on her tardiness and other unrelated things in front of his parents. His parents did stop him after that but they also never ask him to apologize to her. There are other events that shows how selfish he can be but she reassured herself many times that human can make mistakes and she might had act like that sometimes so it is only fair if she put up with his. 

She was hurt but she kept making excuses for him, 'he is just tired', 'he is just sensitive' and 'he is sorry but he is too embarassed to say it'. She told herself from time to time that he need to keep his pride as a man. But, that is just adding into the pile of hidden dissatisfaction between them. They keep on pretending that nothing is wrong but those lies kept accumulating until they finally realized the foundation of their relationship had finally broken. Honesty! There is no honesty between them. 

"Well, that flinching stuff is quite rare as an excuse for break-up but I can totally see his point..." Lisa stopped when WenShu was glaring dagger at her. She glared back at WenShu, mouthing 'what' and continued. "and your point as well. The point is that you did not want to tell him that you are intimidated but he also did not try to ask. He might not even change after that, knowing his prideful nature, but at least you should say something."

Lisa tried her best analyzing the situation as the third party, not wanting to be biased even though she was just as mad at Jaebum as she despise him for ruining their prom party but she knew WenShu should learn her lesson and try her best not to get involved with another douchebag like him. 

***************************************************************************************************************************

Please log in to read the full chapter