Put you first?

Forever Young

Jennie was not expecting that kind of answer from Hanbin. What did he mean she was with him? I mean they were but why’d he say it like that?

 

“I thought you guys weren’t friends?” Jaebum asked. Jennie looked back at Jaebum. 

 

“We are. We’re great friends.” Hanbin said interrupting Jennie. 

 

“Jennie, did you leave me for him? I was searching for you all night.” Jaebum explained. 

 

Jennie felt bad she forgot about him after Hanbin had an anxiety attack. 

 

“I’m sorry! Something came up.” Jennie apologized. 

 

“Well can you make up for it?..” Jaebum asked. 

 

“Huh?” She replied. Hanbin read his body language and knew Jaebum was up to no good. But how was he going to stop him? 

 

“Make up for it and have dinner with me.” Jaebum said. He sent a slight smirk to Hanbin.

 

“Oh dinner? When?” Jennie said nervously. 

 

“She can’t.” Hanbin said. Jennie quickly looked at him. 

 

“I can’t?” She whispered. Jaebum glared at Hanbin. He was pissed off at this point. 

 

“Why can’t She? Are you her boyfriend?” Jaebum laughed without humor. 

 

“She promised me that she’ll help me out with something.” Hanbin explained. Jaebum looked at Jennie for confirmation.

 

“Oh! That’s right.. I forgot I have to help Hanbin out.” Jennie said playing along. 

 

Jaebum grew suspicious of them. What was their relationship? Are they really friends? 

 

“Well can I talk to you, alone?” Jaebum asked. 

 

Hanbin gave him a cold stare before walking up the stairs to leave them alone. 

 

 

As soon as Hanbin wasn’t in Jaebum’s sight he walked up the stairs. Closing the distance between him and Jennie. 

 

“I don’t think your friend likes me.” He chuckled. 

 

“Hanbin’s like that. He looks cold and rude but really, he’s a sweet and caring person.” Jennie explained. 

 

“That’s how you were when we first met.” Jaebum chuckled. “You had this stuck up rich girl look. Still do but you were very hard to approach.” He added.

 

“Everyone sees me like that.” Jennie chuckled. 

 

“You’re so smart and pretty I don’t know how I even managed to get you.” 

 

“Why do you keep comparing yourself?” 

 

“Because I’m stupid. I messed up real bad and regret it..” Jaebum lowered his head. 

 

“Everyone makes mistakes. You just have to learn from them and do better.” Jennie comforted. 

 

“You always know what to say.” Jaebum smiled. His phone began vibrating, disturbing their conversation. It was a text from his friends joking around with him about the bet. He looked down at his phone and laughed. 

 

“Did something happen?” Jennie asked.

 

“Huh? Oh nothing. I’m just happy to see you. But let’s hangout as soon as you’re done helping Hanbin out. He answered and slipped his phone back into his pocket. 

 

“I’ll try.” Jennie replied

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” Jaebum said and left. 

 

Hanbin walked back to Jennie after seeing Jaebum’s car drive away. 

 

“So what exactly am I helping you out with?” Jennie asked. 

 

“I wanted to throw a surprise party for Bobby. Just to ease him up a bit since championships are near.” Hanbin explained. 

 

“Oh you need my help?” 

 

“Y-yeah.. I’m not great at these kinds of the things.” Hanbin said. 

 

“When? Tomorrow?” 

 

“Yeah so you can’t go on that date.” 

 

“I told Jaebum that we could hangout after I’m done helping you.” 

 

“Jennie-“

 

“Aren’t you coming to sleep?! Hurry before I lock the door! I need to shower!” Jisoo shouted. 

 

“I better go.” Jennie said.

 

“Goodnight.” Hanbin said and watched as she left. 

 

 

~~~~~~

 

 

Nayeon entered the cafe and immediately spotted Mino in the corner. For some reason Mino wanted to meet up with her. He refused to tell her the reason knowing that she wouldn’t have came.

 

“Good afternoon.” Mino smiled. Nayeon didn’t say anything but slapped him across the face. Wiping his smile off. 

 

“I deserved that.” He said affixing his jaw from the slap. 

 

“What could you possibly need? Did you come back to ruin me some more?” Nayeon argued. 

 

“I want to apologize.” Mino let out. 

 

“Yeah I think that’s too late.” Nayeon crossed her arms. 

 

“Sit down. I want to explain some things.” Mino begged. Nayeon rolled her eyes before taking a seat. “I’m sorry for ruining things between you and Hanbin... the truth is I actually like you and I was just jealous.” He added. 

 

“You didn’t do that because you liked me. You did it because you hate Hanbin.” Nayeon got up from the table and walked away leaving Mino dumbfounded. He didn’t blame her for not believing him. All the things he’s done in the past is now eating him up. 

 

~~~~~

 

 

Bobby’s POV

I got out of the gym dripping with sweat. My body was aching all over. I was sore from practicing too hard the past couple of days. 

 

“Your father is waiting for you.” Butler Kim explained. I nodded my head and followed him. My dad was standing around drinking a cup of coffee from his hands.

 

“You were looking for me?” I approached. 

 

“Come by tonight, I have some people who want to talk about drafting you.” He smiled widely at me. But I know it wasn’t meant for me but the fact that I had a high chance of getting drafted. 

 

“Alright.” I replied and bowed at a 90 degree angle. I know I should be happy but I couldn’t bring myself to it. Not even a grin. 

 

“Wear your best suit and do your hair. This is a huge opportunity for the both of us.” He explained. Was it really for the both of us? Or just him? I nodded my head in agreement and received a pat on my shoulder. 

 

“I’ll be expecting you then.” He said and walked away. That was the first time we ever had physical contact, besides him beating the life out of me. I felt a little relieved yet shocked. 

 

 

I wiped my sweat with the towel I had on my shoulder. I saw a familiar body figure near the vending machine and squinted my eyes to get a better view. Is she really talking to him?! As I was walking towards them I reached into my pocket grabbing a dollar bill and pulled it out when I got near them. I squeeze in between them and inserted the bill into the vending machine. 

 

“Excuse you?” Jisoo said. I clicked E3 and then turned to face her.

 

“Oh sorry I was just getting a snack. Practice was no joke today.” I said while stretching my arm out to create a wider distance between her and Jinyoung. She looked at me with those worried eyes. 

 

“Don’t over do it.” Her tone sounding a little angry with a mix of worrisome. 

 

“Don’t worry Jichu.” I said while grabbing the protein bar from the vending machine. Jinyoung began chuckling from what I had called her and I knew Jisoo was embarrassed. She’s probably going to kill me later but it was worth it. 

 

“I thought I told you not to call me that?” Jisoo said and laughed without humor. 

 

“Jichu? That’s cute” Jinyoung said with a chuckle at the end. Damn that really backfired on me. I looked at Jisoo and her face was turning red. If she gets any redder she could turn into a tomato. 

 

“Are you kidding me? That’s horrible. She has-“ before I could say anything Jisoo covered my mouth and dragged me away. 

 

“Excuse us!” Jisoo said. 

 

~~~~~

 

“Um are you that bored?” Jisoo argued. 

 

“I just like to mess with you.” I smiled.

 

“Will stop, don’t do it in front of Jinyoung.” 

 

“Are you embarrassed?” I chuckled. 

 

“Bobby I’m serious. You could mess around with me all you want but when I’m with him please don’t.” I guess she was pretty serious about this. She didn’t grin or anything at all. Why does she care so much? 

 

“Are you embarrassed of being around me?” 

 

“What the hell, why would you even say that?!” She argued. 

 

“You’re acting like he’s some kind of famous person.” 

 

“You act like an whenever you’re around him. What did he do?” I was angry why was she defending him?

 

“I don’t mean to it just naturally comes out. You know I don’t like new people.” 

 

“Well you’re going to have to get use to it.”  She crossed her arms. 

 

“What do you mean?” 

 

“He asked me out on a date and I asked if he wanted to watch the championships this weekend and he agreed.” Just like that, I felt another wound in my heart open...

 

 

“You’re going on that date?!” I said in disbelief.

 

“Of course.” She replied and walked away. I found myself panicking over it. She’s going to let this guy take her out on a date? I can’t let that happen what if he’s a bad person. I was making up all kinds of excuses to break up that date up but why? Why do I feel so angry about this? 

 

End of POV 

 

~~~~~

 

Bobby tightened his tie and twisted the knob opening the door to his house. He was greeted by his maids and butlers. 

 

“Right this way sir.” Bobby was guided towards the dining table and his coat was taken from him to be hung up. 

 

“Hey! I’m Mr. Park and this Is Mr. Lee Bobby bowed towards them at a 90 degree angle and firmly shook their hands. 

 

“It’s nice to meet you guys. I’m sorry about being late.” Bobby said and sat down. 

 

“Don’t worry we didn’t wait long. In fact we watched all your highlights and wow... must I say, you’re an amazing shooter and your defense is definitely a pro players defense!” Mr. Park said making Bobby and his dad chuckle. 

 

“Yeah he’s been choosing practice over coming home and eating dinner with me lately.” Mr. Kim let out. Everyone laughed besides Bobby. He just grinned and stared at his father. His laugh angered him, his smile hurt him. Bobby rolled his hand into and fist and clenched it. 

 

“Ah really? Your son must be committed.” Mr. Lee said and cut a piece of his meat. 

 

“So have basketball always been your dream?” Mr. Lee asked. Bobby took a sip of water and smiled. 

 

“Ever since I was little.” Bobby lied. 

 

“You must be happy as hell to know that you have a possibility of getting drafted.” 

 

“No I’m not..” Bobby said. His father looked at him threatening him with his eyes. Bobby saw something in his eyes, it was fire. He knew his dad was filled with rage at this moment or at least slightly pissed off. 

 

“Pardon?” Mr. Lee said.

 

“Cause of championships. It’s nerve wrecking.” Bobby said saving himself. 

 

“I bet! But with you on the team I think you guys will own it.” Mr. Park explained. 

 

“My son has been waiting for this moment since he was a kid. He use to always talk about getting drafted or winning a championship for basketball. It’s all he ever wanted when he was a kid. To play basketball.” 

 

Bobby’s blood was boiling, the fact that his dad was lying about this. 

 

“Well it’s almost time for us to go so I’ll just hand you this paper to read over. Contact us if you have any questions.” Mr. Lee explained. Bobby walked them to the door and waved goodbye to them. 

 

 

“You’re not happy?” Mr. Kim asked in a menacing voice. 

 

“I am happy.” 

 

“You didn’t sound nor look happy about the drafts. Look at me! My eyes are up here!” He grabbed Bobby by the collar. 

 

“Yes sir.” Bobby said and stared at his father in the eyes. 

 

“Don’t be ungrateful! Some kids can’t even make it on the basketball team! You should be happy that you were handed such an opportunity!! And being late? How do you think that made me look today huh?” He punched Bobby across the face until he fell onto the ground. 

 

“Don’t you ever be late.” He added in a few kicks and threw his loose tie at Bobby.  

 

More bruises appeared on Bobby’s body. His old cuts were opened up again. His face all scratched up from his father’s powerful hits. Bobby took all those hits like they were nothing because he didn’t have the courage to fight back. He laid there with his tears falling onto the floor. Barely even able to get up..

 

~~~~~

 

 

“Are you ready?” Jennie asked. Hanbin closed the door behind him. A bit startled by Jennie’s approach. 

 

“Ready for what?” Hanbin asked.

 

“To go shopping for the surprise party.” Jennie answered. 

 

“right now?” 

 

“Well yeah it’s tonight isn’t it?” 

 

“I have to pick up my little sister right now..” Hanbin explained. 

 

“Let’s go together then.” Jennie smiled and walked ahead of him. 

 

~~~~~

 

Hanbin and Jennie drove to Hanbyul’s elementary school and waited outside the gate til school was dismissed. 

 

“I never knew you had a little sister?” Jennie questioned.

 

“There’s a lot of things you don’t know.” Hanbin smirked. 

 

“Hanbin!!” Hanbyul shouted while running towards him with her arms wide open for a hug. The smile on Jennie’s face grew wide. She was touched by how cute Hanbyul was. 

 

“I wanted to surprise you.” Hanbin smiled. Another side of him Jennie enjoyed. It seemed like Hanbin would only smile like this for the people he truly cared about. Like he had a soft spot for them. 

 

“Who’s that? Is she your girlfriend? She’s really pretty!” Hanbyul said embarrassing Hanbin. Both Hanbin and Jennie’s cheeks were kissed with red dye. Making them blush at Hanbyul’s question. 

 

“N-no she’s just a friend.” Hanbin spoke up. 

 

“You’re pretty too.” Jennie smiled. 

 

“Thank you..” Hanbyul said shyly. 

 

“I like your dress.” Jennie asked while stepping down to Hanbyul’s level. 

 

“Thanks! Hanbin bought it for me!” Hanbyul replied.

 

“I’m surprise, you actually have taste.” Jennie joked.

 

“Yeah Whatever let’s get going.” Hanbin replied making Jennie chuckle. He grabbed Hanbyul’s hands and held it while carrying her backpack on one shoulder. He lifted his head up and saw Nayeon staring at them. 

 

“Nayeon!” Hanbyul escaped Hanbin’s grip and ran to give her a hug. 

 

Hanbin was already irritated at this point. What did she want now? 

 

“Oh my, you’re wearing that bow I got you?” Nayeon asked.

 

“It’s my favorite one.” Hanbyul answered. 

 

“You look so pretty with it!” Nayeon complimented. Hanbin walked over to them and grabbed Hanbyul by her wrist. 

 

“We have to go.” Hanbin said and dragged her along. 

 

“I’m suppose to pick her up” Nayeon let out. Hanbin let go of Hanbyul and turned around. He walked a couple of steps closer to her. 

 

“No one asked you to do this.” Hanbin said coldly.

 

“Mino did.. it’s the least I could do to help you out.” Nayeon replied. 

 

“Don’t do things like this. It’s meaningless.” Hanbin said and dragged Hanbyul away. Nayeon was beginning to get use to those scary eyes of his. Every time she saw him that’s all she ever saw, Those brown orbs that were filled with hatred towards her. Yet, she doesn’t feel ashamed. 

 

~~~~~

 

 

Jisoo parked her car and got out. What was her dad’s friend doing here? This was the 2nd time she saw his car this week. She saw him get out of the house while adjusting his tie. Jisoo waited until he left to enter her home. 

 

“What is Mr. Kang doing here?” Jisoo asked while taking off her shoes. 

 

“O-oh... he forgot his wallet so he came back.” Her Mom lied. 

 

“Mom, is something wrong with dad?” 

 

“What makes you think that?” 

 

“He’s been different lately and I’m worried. You and I both know he doesn’t hangout with his friend during work.” 

 

“Honey, don’t worry about your father. He’s just stressed out because of work. I’ll tell him to make some time for you Alright?” Her Mom explained and wrapped her arms around her. Jisoo missed eating together as a family. It’s been 2 months since they had a meal. 

 

“You’re doing fine right?” Jisoo asked. Everyday she worried about her parents. It’s like they were a new person every time she saw them. 

 

“I’m doing great. You?” Her Mom answered. 

 

“Fine.” Jisoo smiled warmly.

 

There were a couple of knocks on the door. Jisoo’s Mom pulled away from the hug and went to answer it. It was Jennie’s Mom. Her face a little paler than usual and her eyes looked tired with a slight dryness. It seemed she’s been crying all night or so. 

 

“Come in.” Jisoo’s Mom welcomed. 

 

“I came to grab the herbs for my husband.” Jennie’s Mom said. 

 

Jisoo overheard their conversation. Herbs? What’s wrong with Jennie’s dad? 

 

“Jisoo’s here.” Her Mom explained. 

 

“Oh, hi Jisoo!” Mrs. Kim forced a smile.

 

“Hello.” Jisoo bowed. 

 

“How have you been?” 

 

“Great how about you?” Jisoo asked. 

 

“I’ve been good, please keep Jennie entertained that girl doesn’t do anything but study like her life depends on it.” Mrs. Kim said. 

 

“Yeah I’ve been trying. Uh mom it’s actually time for me to head out.” Jisoo chuckled. 

 

“Alright it was nice seeing you again.” Mrs. Kim said. 

 

Jisoo slowly closed the door behind her. 

 

“He’s not doing any better.” Were the words Jisoo heard as she closed the door.

It definitely came from Jennie’s Mom but what did she mean by that? Jisoo shook her head not trying to think too hard of it since it was the least of her worries.

 

~~~~~

 

 

Hanbin’s POV 

Jennie walked into the store while I was busy trying to get a cart. I watched as she was picking out all the decorative stuff out and piling them one by one in her arms. I knew I could count on her depending how she dresses. She really mixes things up and that’s what I liked about her. How she looks good in anything. She walked towards me and placed the stuff Into the cart snapping me out of my thoughts. 

 

“That’s a lot of stuff.” I said 

 

“You asked for my help so don’t question it.” She replied. 

 

“It’s just, is all of this necessary?” I asked.

 

“Somewhat.” Jennie admitted and continued picking stuff out. I saw cards and the one that really caught my eye was the birthday one. It reminded me of what my grandma had bought for me on my 10th birthday. A green card with balloons and my name printed on it. Expect this card looked a lot cheaper. 

 

“Should we get some party glasses?” Jennie said while popping out of no where. She did a little pose and pulled the glasses down her nose bridge. Looking at me in a funny way. I began laughing at her silliness. She was playful today and quite cute. I really enjoyed this side of her and wish to see more of it. 

 

“Oh!.. your right eye.” Jennie pointed out. 

 

“What about it?.” I said nervously. 

 

“It gets smaller than your left when you smile or laugh! I’m like that too.” She chuckled. How did I not notice this? It was odd how we both had the same problem. That gummy smile of hers somehow made me a bit nervous. I found my heart pacing up a bit and my hands grew a little sweaty. 

 

“Uh If you want we could get the glasses.” I said clearing my throat. 

 

“I was joking with you.” She smiled and put them away. 

 

“You’re playful.” I said. 

 

“I just want to ease up the tension feeling we have.” She explained.

 

“Tension?” 

 

“Yeah, friends tease each other and feel comfortable.” 

 

“I would’ve never expected to be friends with you.” I admitted. 

 

“Same. A lot people don’t approach me cause of how I look.” She said in a low tone. 

 

“They think you’re some mean person when really you’re kind and caring.” I explained. 

 

“Exactly. People always judge everyone by how they look.” 

 

“It’s just a humans first intention before getting to know someone.” 

 

“Sadly people find me stuck up.” She sounded hurt after saying that. But it was true I would always hear bad rumors about her in high school. Jennie being this, Jennie giving me dirty looks, Jennie thinks she’s all that cause she’s rich. Childish things like that, but it never made sense to me on why they would spread false stuff about her. 

 

“People think I’m arrogant just because of how smart I was or just the way I came off to them. But you shouldn’t let it get to you.  People only say stuff when they’re jealous and maybe they were jealous because of how intelligent and hard working you were.” I explained. 

 

“Thanks Hanbin. You know Jisoo was so nice to me. She was the prettiest girl in school and I never expected for her to approach me.” She explained. 

 

“I guess we’re both lucky to have met Bobby and Jisoo.” 

 

“We are, despite their really out going personalities.” Jennie giggled. It was another way of calling them crazy which was true. 

 

 

She smiled warmly at me and I returned the smile. I continued pushing the cart and thought about how affected she was about the topic. I’m guessing people probably said some harsh stuff. For some reason I wanted to protect her. 

 

~~~~~

 

 

We arrived at the hideout and carried all the bags into the house. Jennie began measuring the walls with her fingers. She looked so focused on it. I sorted the decorations out laying them on the table for her. 

 

“It’s raining pretty hard outside.” She said starting up a conversation. 

 

“Yeah...” I said under my breath. 

 

“Can you play some music? Something to match the setting of the rain.” She asked. 

 

“Uh sure what do you want?” I asked.

 

“Let’s listen to one of your songs.” 

 

I was taken aback. My songs?! There was no way I was going to do that. 

 

“No seriously.” I replied.

 

“I’m being serious.” She turned around to face me. God, why was she staring at me like that? It sent chills down my body and I quickly looked away. 

 

“That’s too embarrassing..” I said nervously. 

 

“How about that one song I heard? You have to play it since I already heard some of it.” She demanded. 

 

I connected my phone to the Bluetooth speakers and automatically regretted it. I scrolled down my playlist and clicked on the song “Just Go.” 

 

“I know, your heart isn’t by my side

Time is useless too

Baby please says nothing

I try to act like I’m fine

But the person in your eyes

Was always him

It wasn’t me

So I’ll silently let you go to him

 

Ooh ohohohoh

Be more honest with yourself

Ooh ohohohoh

He’s still in your heart

Ooh ohohohoh

It’s not you to be so cautious

Ooh ohohohoh

My heart doesn’t feel like my own

You can go to him

I’ll just accept your heart

Don’t worry about me

Just go just go

I’ll let go of your hand

Before I change my mind, don’t regret and

Just go just go just go just go

There’s already no room in your heart

Feels like I forced myself in there

Emotions are mixing and I can’t stand to see you

Not knowing what to do

Don’t be sorry

The more you say that, the more my heart aches

It’s not meant to be for us

Breaking up is the answer

I don’t know about you but

Each day will be a depressing night for me

You seem much happier with him

Can’t even compare with me

You’ve just been dumped”

 

Even if I wrote the song, the lyrics still hit me pretty bad. I watched her nod her head with the beat of the song and heard a little humming. 

 

“This is sad, but I like it.” She said.

 

“Oh thanks...” I replied shyly. 

 

“Was this for Nayeon?” 

 

“Kind Of But kind of not. It was just how I viewed our break up.” I answered. 

 

“I can relate to the feeling.” She admitted. 

 

“Did the feelings of being with Jaebum hit you?” 

 

“Not going to lie but yeah, it made me think about how bad he hurt me.” 

 

“Then why are you willing to put yourself through it again.” I asked. 

 

“What do you mean?” 

 

“Don’t go on that date with him. Actually, don’t see him anymore.” 

 

“Is there something wrong?” She was clueless. 

 

“The only reason he’s acting like this is because he made a bet with his friends. I heard it with my own ears.” 

 

“That’s ridiculous.” She let out a chuckle and took a step down from the ladder. I saw how unstable the ladder was and dropped everything in my hands to rescue her. She let out a little scream and fell into my arms. Her eyes were shut tightly and she bit the bottom of her lip. 

 

“I’m being serious Jennie.” I said making her open up her eyes. We were only 1 inch apart from each other. My eyes wandered around her face admiring all the features. Her brown eyes were darting back and forth, shining in the light. The brown in her eyes were sweet like chocolate. I saw nothing but my reflection in them. Her nose was perfect. Not too big not too small, just the right size for her face. Her skin was flawless. Florid cheeks and flawlessly sculpted lips, as if crafted by angels themselves; sitting this close to her I could see them clearly, glistening attractively with cherry lip balm that added further rosy color. All these features set together on a delicate, angelic face. The music and lights went out suddenly. It snapped me back into reality and I gently placed her on her ground.

 

“What the heck? Did the power go out?” She asked trying to see through the dark. It was pitch black and I couldn’t see anything. I shook my head trying to stop it from remembering that horrible night in the shed. I refused to let Jennie see that side of me again but had no control as thunder began vibrating the walls. I was taken back to that day and the cries for help rang in my held. My vision became dizzy but it didn’t matter since I couldn’t see. 

 

“Hanbin where are you?” Jennie said weakly. My hands brushed against the wall as I tried to make sense of where I was. Again thunder roared through the room. 

 

“Ahh!” Jennie screamed at the top of her lungs. Her screaming made the flashbacks escape my mind. 

 

“Hanbin where are you!” She cried out. I saw her in the corner due to the little crack of light from the curtains. I hurried towards her.

 

“Hey! Hey, I’m right here!.” I comforted. The sound of thunder echoed through the room making violent poundings against the walls. Jennie hid her face in my chest. Her hands squeezing the life out of my shirt. I felt my shirt getting damped from her warm tears. Slowly I raised my hands up and wrapped them around her tightly. Protecting her from the roaring thunder. My heart was beating like crazy and I found it hard to swallow my saliva. 

 

“It’s going to be alright. I’ll be right beside you.” I said to reassure her and gently rubbed her back. It was odd, it’s like the bad the thoughts I had disappeared. The only thing I could think of was protecting her. 

 

End of POV