Comfort & lies

Forever Young

Jennie lifted her head up from Hanbin’s broad shoulders. 

 

“What happen?” She said under her breath and took a look around the room. She saw Hanbin’s head tipping over the wall. He looked uncomfortable yet very sleepy. Jennie reached her hand to the other side of his head, holding it before he could fall over. Her hand caressed his soft milky cheeks. As each moments passed by she found it hard to breathe. 

 

“Why is his head so heavy?” She muttered and gently moved his head the opposite side. His eyes opened widely startling her. 

 

“Were you trying to do something to me?” Hanbin smirked.

 

“O-of course not! Your heavy head was tipping over and I was trying to help.” Jennie defended. 

 

“You’re one to talk. My shoulder feels dislocated.” Hanbin said while stretching his arms out. Jennie felt her body getting hot. Why was she all tensed up, suddenly? 

 

“Sorry.” Jennie said nervously. 

 

“I’m surprised you fell asleep.” 

 

“I guess I felt protected.” Jennie said straight forwardly. Hanbin felt his heart pace up a bit. 

 

“You’re afraid of thunder?” He asked. 

 

“Yeah ever since I was a kid, I use to run to my parents room when ever I got scared.” Jennie admitted. 

 

“But this time you ran into my arms.” Hanbin said under his breath.

 

“What was that?” Jennie asked

 

“Nothing.” Hanbin said saving himself. 

 

“You didn’t get scared?” Jennie raised a brow at him. She felt bad, Hanbin must’ve felt scared too but he stood by her side and comforted her. 

 

“Just a little but you were more afraid so I guess I kind of snapped out of it.” Hanbin admitted. 

 

“Oh... thank you. I was worried that you would have another anxiety attack.” Jennie said while fiddling with her fingers. 

 

Before Hanbin could say anything Jisoo barged into the house. 

 

“I was so worried! No one was picking up their phone.” Jisoo said feeling a bit relieved to see them here. 

 

“Our phones died and the power went out.” Jennie explained.

 

“You two were here all night?” Jisoo asked. She smirked at Jennie receiving a death glare. 

 

“I-it wasn’t like that!” Hanbin quickly denied. 

 

“Yeah we were just decorating!” Jennie added. 

 

“Hmm.. have you guys seen Bobby?” Jisoo asked.

 

“No he didn’t stop by at all.” Hanbin answered. 

 

“Maybe because of the storm?..” Jennie said. 

 

“Let me call him.” Jisoo said. Not knowing what to do Jennie charged her phone and continued on with the decorations. 

 

 

“You don’t have to finish it.” Hanbin said.

 

“Are we not surprising him anymore?” Jennie asked.

 

“I don’t think he’ll be coming.” Hanbin said and locked his phone. 

 

“Oh... whys that?” 

 

“He’s at his dad’s.” Hanbin replied. He grabbed all the decorations from the table and shoved it in the trash. 

 

“He didn’t pick up.” Jisoo said. 

 

“Yeah he’s busy right now.” Hanbin answered. 

 

“Don’t tell me-“ 

 

Hanbin nodded his head referring to Bobby being at his dad’s. 

 

“Is there something wrong?” Jennie questioned. 

 

“It’s nothing.” Hanbin said.

 

“We’re just worried that Bobby’s over working himself.” Jisoo lied. 

 

“I have to go do something.” Hanbin grabbed his keys and hurried out the door. 

 

“Bye.” Jennie said as she watched him rush out the door. 

 

 

Jisoo stared at Jennie eyeing her up and down. 

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Jennie asked. 

 

“What did you two really do?” Jisoo raised a brow at her. 

 

“We didn’t do anything.” Jennie argued. 

 

“So you’re telling me that all you guys did was decorate and listen to music?” Jisoo pointed at the Bluetooth speaker. 

 

“Yeah pretty much.” 

 

“I’m keeping my eye out.” Jisoo joked. “But did you sleep through the storm?” She added.

 

“Kind of.” Jennie said and rubbed her arm. 

 

“It was scary wasn’t it?” Jisoo asked. 

 

“Extremely...” 

 

“I’m sorry I wasn’t here.” Jisoo said and wrapped her arms around Jennie. 

 

“It’s fine.” Jennie chuckled. 

 

~~~~~~

 

 

Hanbin stepped out of his car and saw Bobby in front of the gym. His bag was on the ground. Bobby was curled up on the bench, sleeping. Hanbin let out a heavy sigh feeling relieved yet worried. 

 

“What are you doing here?” Hanbin asked. “Bobby.” He tapped him on the shoulder. 

 

“Oh, morning.” Bobby said in between his yawn. Hanbin saw purple welts that were scattered around Bobby’s face. His face totally beat up. An open wound on his eyebrow begging for closure. His lips a perfect toned purple. He had deep purple bruises on his arms that would probably take a week to heal. Feeling angry Hanbin sat besides Bobby.

 

“Are you going to let him beat you around?” Hanbin argued. 

 

“He wouldn’t kill his own son.” Bobby defended.

 

“What do you call this? Discipline?!” Bobby could hear the rage in Hanbin’s voice. He was just one more blow from losing it. 

 

“He just wants what’s best for me.” Bobby said. 

 

“He just wants what’s best for him. He doesn’t care about you!” Hanbin shouted, there’s something in the shout. A pain behind it. 

 

“Look I’m just trying to get drafted and make him happy.” Bobby confessed. 

 

“Is that really what you want to do? Get drafted? You need to make yourself happy before you worry about him.” Hanbin explained. Everything Hanbin said was true but Bobby couldn’t bring himself to believe it. He was scared so he had no choice but to hold back. 

 

“Getting drafted is my dream.” Bobby lied. 

 

“Your mixtape, are you just going to throw it away?” Hanbin asked. He knew Bobby was lying but thought it wasn’t the right time to stir an argument. 

 

“I will tonight. It’s a lowlife dream.” Bobby sighed. 

 

“What are you so afraid of?” Hanbin asked. He grew tired of everything. 

 

“I-I don’t know...” Bobby replied. 

 

“I’m always going to be here for you. Let’s put an end to it.” Hanbin said. 

 

Bobby got up from the bench and grabbed his bag. “It May sound easy to you Hanbin... but I.. I just can’t do it. I’m sorry.” He said before walking away. Hanbin saw Bobby limping with one foot trying to fight against the pain. His body ached to the bone from the beatings he received.

 

“Lets go.” Hanbin said grabbing the bag off of Bobby’s shoulders. 

 

~~~~~

 

 

Jennie’s POV 

I actually made some time out of my schedule to visit my parents which I’m proud of. I grabbed my Chanel purse and locked the door behind me. 

 

“Jennie!” A familiar voice shouted. I turned around to see Jaebum smiling widely at me. 

 

“The only reason he’s acting like this is because he made a bet with his friends. I heard it with my own ears.” I remembered what Hanbin told me last night and I had second thoughts about it. 

 

“Hey?” I said coldly. 

 

“Ouch what’s with the tone?” Jaebum Joked.

 

“Nothing” I smiled back.

 

“Are you free right now?” He asked. 

 

“Aye is this the girl you’re trying to kiss?” A group of boys drove by shouting at Jaebum. He quickly turned around which made them settle down. As if he threatened them. 

 

“I’m heading to my parents house.” I answered.

 

“Aw how about later on tonight? I’ll make a  reservation for us at my uncle’s restaurant.” He explained. 

 

“You know, you’re moving too fast.” I smirked. I knew what his motive was. I just chose to play dumb. 

 

“Just want to set things straight, so what do you say?” 

 

“Sure why not.” I replied. 

 

“Cool, I’ll pick see you at 9.” He winked and jumped into the car with his friends. 

 

“Such a waste of good looks.” I smirked and entered my car. 

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

I unlocked the door and crept inside to see my mom in the kitchen cooking something. It smelt weird in here. 

 

“What are you cooking?” I said surprising her. She quickly turned the stove off and covered the pot. 

 

“I didn’t know you were visiting?” She said in confusion. I saw my dad sitting on the couch signing documents as always. 

 

“Oh you’re here?” He asked and smiled at me. 

 

“I brought some food.” I held up two bags and sat them at the counter.

 

“Come eat honey.” My mom said while setting the food out on the table. The scent was very strong. It was some medicine like smell that bothered my nose. 

 

“Mom what is this?” I said lifting up the cover. It was green herbs being boiled with ginger and other greens. The smell punched me across the nose making me want to gag. 

 

“T-that’s some herbs we got from Jisoo’s mom.” She explained. 

 

“Your dad can’t eat the tteokbokki.” 

 

“Why not?” I asked. 

 

“Don’t be silly of course I can.” He said and walked towards the table. We all sat down at the table. He reached for the tteokbokki and added it to his plate. Is it just me or is the atmosphere different? I looked at my mom and she seemed worried. “Aren’t you eating?” He asked. 

 

“Of course.” I smiled and shoved the food into my mouth. 

 

“How are your studies coming along?” 

 

“Great. Mom told me you’re playing golf now?” I asked.

 

“Huh? O-oh. Yeah I needed something to keep me busy.” He chuckled.

 

“He also needs something to keep his mouth shut.” My mom nagged. 

 

“Oh come on you know you love my speeches about you.” He teased. I chuckled at how annoyed my mom was. It was cute to see them so playful and loving at their age. It’s something I wish can have one day. 

 

“Your father would not stop talking about me in his morning speeches at work.” My mom said in embarrassment. 

 

“Trust me mom, a lot of girls would love that.” I added. 

 

“Here and there is fine but every morning?” 

 

“I just want everyone at my workplace to know I love you.” He admitted.

 

“Is this a family lunch or a date?” I teased.  Making them laugh. My dad began coughing violently. The cough sounded loose and wet, like thick phlemy mucus was sliding up and down his throat with each violent expulsion of air.

 

“Are you okay?!” I asked while pouring him a cup of water. I watched my mom panic as she ran by his side. Patting him on the back. I handed him the cup and he took a couple of sips to water down that dry throat of his. 

 

“I’m fine, it’s just a cough.” He smiled.

 

“Just a cough? That sounded horrible!” I argued.

 

“Don’t worry about it he’s just getting over a cold.” My mom explained. 

 

“Dad, please watch your health.” I begged. 

 

“Don’t worry about me. Your mother told me that you went on the cruise ship for July 4th, don’t do things like that and stay safe.” He said in worried tone. I nodded my head, agreeing to his words. “Now let’s continue.” He added. 

 

 

End of POV 

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

“He’s sleeping.” The Secretary explained. Jisoo nodded her head and entered her dad’s office. He was sleeping on the couch and used his coat as a blanket. 

 

“Has he been here all night?” Jisoo muttered. There were two bowls of ramen on the table and a can of beer. Jisoo was saddened by the view of her father. Why was he doing this? Is his job really more important than his personal life?

 

“Jisoo?” Her dad said and quickly sat up on the couch. 

 

“What’s wrong?” Jisoo asked, her eye a little teary. 

 

“Nothing” He smiled. 

 

“You’re drinking and sleeping at work? Dad this isn’t like you.” Jisoo argued.

 

“Your dad’s been stressed.” He admitted.

 

“I’m worried about you. You’ve been acting different lately... are you perhaps seeing someone?” Jisoo asked. 

 

“What? No! Of course not! You know how much I respect your mother.” He defended. 

 

“Then what’s all of this?” 

 

He let out a sigh and ruffled his hair. “There’s just a lot of things going on in the company right now.” 

 

“Can you promise me something?” Jisoo asked. 

 

“What?” 

 

“Promise me you’ll take care of yourself?” 

 

He smiled at Jisoo. He looked at her as if she were 5 years old again. Making promises with him, nagging him to take care of himself. It brought out a chuckle from him that confused Jisoo. 

 

“Sorry, I was just reminded of you when you were younger. You use to always make pinky promises with me about everything. I remembered you made me promise that’d I’d buy you a pikachu bear.” He explained.

 

“I still have that bear.” Jisoo smiled. 

 

“Good, I fought with your mom just to get it for you while on our way back from Hawaii.” 

 

“I miss that.” Jisoo admitted. 

 

“Miss what?” 

 

“When we would all get together.” 

 

“I’m sorry.” He let out.

 

“For what?” 

 

“I just am.” He patted Jisoo’s hands. She was confused by her dad’s actions but saw how stressed he was. It was tough to see him like this. 

 

~~~~~~

 

 

Hanbin’s POV

I heard yelling from a distant and saw that it was Jennie. I watched from a far as she held some guy in a martial arts position threatening him. 

 

“So it was bet huh?!” She asked. Wow that girl is scary. I smirked. 

 

“Yes! Yes! It was a bet to see if he could break your heart!” The Guy whimpered. 

 

“Pathetic s.” Jennie pushed him away from her and dusted her hands off. 

I took the chance to approach her.

 

“What a great action scene.” I said while applauding her. She turned around and folded the pieces of hair that bothered her behind her hair. 

 

“You saw that?” She asked. I lifted my arms up and held it in the martial arts stance she did earlier.

 

“So it was a bet huh?!” I recited. She bursted out in laughter and covered her face.

 

“I did not say it like that.” 

 

“You kind of did.” I teased.

 

“Whatever.” She chuckled. 

 

“So do you believe me now?” I asked. 

 

“I’ve always had a bad feeling about him but I wanted to give him a chance to show how sincere he was about changing.” She answered. 

 

“Some people don’t change.” 

 

“Yeah what a shame.” 

 

I looked at her and chuckled. 

 

“What’s so funny?” She asked 

 

“What you did earlier, it was cool.” I smiled. 

 

“I guess I did look pretty cool.” She said feeling proud of herself. “What are you doing later?” She added. 

 

“I’m Not sure why?” 

 

“Do you perhaps.. want to grab some ramen? It’s their 50th anniversary for the restaurant I want to go to.” I was surprised by her sudden question. 

 

“I could use something to eat.” I answered. 

 

~~~~~

 

We sat at the table and waited for our ramen to arrive. She looked out the window totally immersed with the view. My eyes were glued onto her. I found myself staring at her and quickly snapped out of it as our food arrive. 

 

“Thank you.” We thanked the waiter and dug into our food. I watched her slurp her noodles which made my smile. 

 

“Mandu..” I said under my breath as I took a bite out of my ramen.

 

“Mandu?” She questioned. Crap, did she hear me?!

 

“You heard that?” I said nervously.

 

“Uh yeah.” 

 

“You look like Mandu when slurping your noodles.” I chuckled. She began blushing at my statement.

 

“W-what! No I do not!” She argued. 

 

“It’s cute.” I slipped out. She looked at me shocked at what I said. Damn it Hanbin! Stupid mouth of mine just keeps slipping up today! 

 

“S-so What are you going to do about Jaebum.” I said changing the subject.

 

“Kill him.” 

 

I choked on my ramen and banged on my chest as it was hard to go down. 

 

“K-k-Kill??” 

 

“Not literally. I just plan on giving him the cold shoulder.” She chuckled. 

 

“Speaking Of shoulders, mine is alright now.” I joked.

 

“I’m not the only one with a heavy head.” She glared at me. I chuckled at her statement and took a sip of my drink.

 

“You’re my first.” I let out. She immediately looked up at me. 

 

“First what?...” 

 

“My first listener. I’ve never shown anyone my music before.” I explained. 

 

“What about Bobby?” 

 

“That’s different, him and I basically came up with the thought of making music.” 

 

“How did you even think of it?” She asked.

 

“I don’t know it was just way of expressing ourselves.” 

 

“I like it. Your song of course.” She said. 

 

“Thanks.” I smiled. 

 

“Huh? My chopstick has the number 50 on it but in gold.” Jennie explained. 

 

“You’re the chosen one!” The waiters shouted at Jennie. Confusing us both. 

 

“Chosen one?” We said in unison.

 

“Today is the restaurants 50th anniversary so whoever gets the golden 50 has to finish our spiciest ramen and if you do, you get your whole meal and everything after that for free!” The waiter explained. I looked at Jennie and she didn’t seem confident infact she looked a little scared. 

 

“Oh..” Jennie let out. The waiters placed the bowl of ramen in front of her. The spice was strong, I could smell it from over here. It made my throat itch and my nose sting. Seeing how worried she looked about it I reached over the table and grabbed the bowl. 

 

“What are you doing?” She argued.

 

“Suddenly I’m really hungry.” I smiled and picked up the chopsticks. Here goes nothing.. I swirled a pile of the noodles around my chopsticks and took a big bite. The spice was over throwing my taste buds stinging my tongue with slight numbness.

 

“Are you crazy?!” Jennie asked. I looked up and saw her face stuck in an incredulous expression, unblinking stare, shaking her head in disbelief.

 

“No. I’m hungry” I answered and continued devouring the noodles. 

 

~~~~~

 

10 minutes passed and I had a little bit of noodles left and the broth. I let out a sigh and began airing my shirt out. This ramen was not playing around. I was beginning to sweat a bit. 

 

“Let’s stop here.” Jennie suggested.

 

“No! I can do it!.” I wiped my mouth with the napkin and held the bowl up with my left hand and my chopsticks in the other. I took a deep breath and exhaled. I moved the bowl towards my lips and dug into the food. Drinking the broth while shoving the noodles into my mouth at once. Each bite was getting hotter and hotter. I sat the bowl down to get another whiff of fresh air. Jennie’s lip pouted and her eyes narrowed at me. 

 

“You know you don’t have to finish that right?” She asked.

 

“Well of course I do the waiters said so.” I answered. She began chuckling at me. 

 

“No it was a choice to beat the challenge or not.” Jennie bursted out into laughter. 

 

“Can we go?” I asked. She nodded her head and followed me out the restaurant.

 

~~~~~

 

“I can’t believe you almost finished it.” Jennie praised.

 

“It wasn’t that spicy.” I replied Cooly. 

 

“Are you sure? Your lips look pretty numb.” She teased. I quickly touched my lips not feeling a thing. After being embarrassed I bit my bottom lip, hiding it from her. “Anyway, thank you.” She added.

 

“I said I was hungry.” I replied.

 

“Right.” She looked at me and chuckled. I smiled after seeing that gummy smile of hers. She just had this radiant energy that made me feel better for some reason. 

 

 

“There you are!” A voice said in relief. I raised my head up to see Jaebum approaching Jennie. 

 

“What do you want?” Jennie replied coldly. I don’t know but i was a bit happy to hear her speak in that tone again. 

 

“I thought we had a date why are you with him?” Jaebum argued. 

 

“I know about your stupid bet. Don’t even bother. I don’t want to hear it.” Jennie attacked.

 

“So you’re going to leave me for him?” Jaebum asked. I gave him a cold glare. This bastard is lucky I’m in a good mood. If not I’d probably beat the crap out of him right now. 

 

“You and I never had anything going on. I just saw how pathetic you were begging for my forgiveness and decided that I’d be nice.” Jennie laughed. 

 

“Don’t say that, don’t forget who hurt who during our relationship.” Jaebum smirked. Jennie slapped him across the face. The slap was as loud as a clap leaving a red hand mark on that bastard’s face. I grinned at him feeling satisfied with Jennie’s actions. 

 

“I feel bad for you... you should really wake up, you’re not cute at all acting so childish.” Jennie explained. I saw as he raised his hands up attempting to hit her. I grabbed his arm before it could happen. 

 

“You dare hit a women?” I said in a cold tone. He shrugged his shoulders and pulled his arm away from my grip. 

 

“You’re crazy.” He said and walked away. 

 

“I can’t believe I just did that...” she said staring blankly at the ground. 

 

“I could. Bastard deserved it.” I replied. She looked up at me and smiled.

 

“It felt good.” She cheered. I chuckled at how cute she was being. 

 

End of POV 

 

~~~~~

 

Jisoo saw Bobby throwing a box away in the trash with the label “Mixtape” on it and walked back into the house. 

 

Seeing that angered her. She grabbed the box from out of the trash and kicked open the door. Bobby turned around and gave her a confused look. 

 

The wounds on his face brought pain upon her chest. “So this is it?!” Jisoo said while dropping the box in front of him. Bobby looked down at the box and back at her. 

 

“What?” He asked.

 

“You’re just going to throw away your dream now?” Jisoo asked.

 

“It’s not my dream.” 

 

“Do you hear yourself?! That’s all you ever talked about! You were the most happy when dropping a mixtape or when you would spit a freestyle for people!” Jisoo explained. It broke her to see Bobby like this. 

 

“It’s not my dream! My dream is to graduate college and get drafted!” Bobby argued. 

 

“It’s not your dream but your dad’s! Just because he couldn’t do it in the past he’s making you do it! Don’t you see what’s happening Bobby?! Are you even happy?” Jisoo barely managed to say this without shedding a tear. Bobby felt a jab at his heart. He hates making the people he care about cry. 

 

“Yes. I am happy.” Bobby replied. 

 

“How can you tell me you’re happy? With that damn look in your eye?” Jisoo said in disbelief.

 

“Why aren’t you happy for me?” 

 

“Because I know that you’re hurting. So how could I?” Jisoo said. 

 

“You’re wrong, I’m very happy. This is all I ever wanted and when I get drafted I promise to remember you.” Bobby forced the corner of his lips into a smile. 

 

“You don’t have to lie when you’re with me... am I your dad?” Jisoo argued and walked towards Bobby. She slipped her arms into his embrace and wrapped them around him. Bobby couldn’t even shed a tear, as much as he wanted to. Slowly and carefully he raised his arms up wrapping it around Jisoo. This was all he neded... a hug to cheer him up.