Unreal Illusions

YOUR SMILE 너의 미소
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PART 2: Unreal Illusions

 

Part 2 ~ 1

 

I tried to smile but the tears poured uncontrollably. Gently, he wiped away my tears with his thumb.

“Baby, don’t cry,” he whispered.

He took my hand and placed it on his face, as if showing that he was real, he wasn’t an illusion. I touched his hair, caressed his face, and traced my finger along his eyes, nose and lips.

“I’m real,” he said, “And I’m right here.”

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

 

But alas, things were not as they seemed. And good things never last long. Hoseok had just started his job for around a month before he felt that something was wrong.

He told me that he had been having headaches lately. I told him to go see the doctor. But he’d always brush it off, saying that it was nothing, just a headache.

About a week into his second month, I received a call from his office. I was told that Hoseok had been sent to the hospital. I didn’t know what to expect. I had never prepared myself for something like this. Without another word, I made my way to the hospital as fast as I could.

His friend from work, Jimin, was there waiting to greet me.

“Where is he?” I asked as soon as I saw him. With news like this, courtesy was the last thing on my mind.

“Come with me,” he said softly and led me down the hallway, into the elevator and made a few more turns before we reached Hoseok’s room.

“He’s still…unconscious,” Jimin told me, indicating that we weren’t allowed to enter.

I leaned my face against the viewing window on the door. I saw a glimpse of his silhouette on the bed. He wasn’t moving. I could faintly make out the oxygen mask over his face, the tubes on his hands. I saw the steady breathing of his chest as it moved up and down.

“What happened?” I asked, feeling the warm tears welling up in my eyes.

To my surprise, Jimin was a gentle person. Slowly, he took my hand and led me to the bench. He kept his hand on mine. And I let him. I figured I’d need it.

“We…honestly don’t know,” he spoke carefully, looking at me.

“I…we found him unconscious on his desk,” he continued, “We didn’t know what was wrong with him, nothing happened, he just seemed to fall unconscious all of a sudden. We called the ambulance immediately and he was brought here right after.”

“The doctors said they will try to find out what’s the problem as soon as they can,” he said, “As for now, they’re trying to keep him stable.”

“Will he be okay?” I asked, tears flowing down my face.

“I…don’t know,” he said softly, “But I sure hope so.”

We waited for so long until I eventually fell asleep on Jimin’s shoulder. I didn’t know how much time had passed until he gently nudged me awake. I felt a little embarrassed. But he tried not to show it.

“The doctor’s here,” he said, pointing to the room.

“Is he awake?” I asked.

“We can only wait and see what the doctor says,” he replied. He put a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

“It’s going to be okay,” he said gently.

I knew he was just trying to cheer me up, to take that heavy weight off my shoulders. I knew he meant well, but I was certain that we both knew that it was possible that the worst could happen.

Another hour passed, the doctor in Hoseok’s room slowly made his way out. Jimin stood up and immediately went to the doctor.

“How is he?”

“He’s stable now,” the doctor replied, “And he’s awake.”

“Can I see him?” I asked desperately. The doctor nodded.

“As for his…illness,” he continued, “I would need to speak with you in my office.”

Jimin and I exchanged glances. We weren’t sure who should go.

“Maybe it’d be best if the both of you would come with me,” the doctor said.

Silently, we followed the doctor as he made his way back to his office. My palms were sweating and the temperature seemed to be rising rapidly. I felt like I was burning. I was nervous. I wasn’t sure if I was prepared for the worst. Probably not.

Jimin was walking beside me as he took my hand in his and gave me a gentle squeeze. ‘It’s going to be okay’ he mouthed the words and smiled. I muttered a silent ‘thank you’.

We soon reached the doctor’s office. I sat down uneasily. The doctor sat across from us with a grim expression on his face. I took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly. I couldn’t bear the silence, the suspense. I took the initiative and asked the doctor.

“Is…is he okay?”

It took him a moment before the doctor answered. His expression remained unchanged.

“Unfortunately, no, Mr Min,” the doctor replied, he readjusted his glasses before he continued.

“Your husband, he has been diagnosed with some kind of respiratory disease,” he explained, “Does he smoke? Or has he been to any factories lately?”

“No, Hoseok never smokes,” I said quickly, “He was working at a factory for more than a year.”

The doctor nodded without a word.

“Can he be treated?” Jimin asked the doctor.

“It depends,” the doctor faced him.

“The treatment can be slow. Plus, it depends on his body cells and whether they can regenerate faster than the harmful cells.”

“I’m afraid,” he turned back to me, “That this will develop into lung cancer.”

The word struck me like a spear as it impaled my heart.

“Help him, doctor,” I pleaded, “Please!”

“We will, Mr Min,” he assured, “Bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter