PART 3 ~ 3

YOUR SMILE 너의 미소
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PART 3 ~ 3

 

 

 

Bark…bark…bark…

“Oh, Aki…,” I groaned. His loud bark could be heard from all the way outside. He must have gotten up early again. From the sound of it, he surely had found something interesting to bark at. I just hoped he didn’t run off too far.

I rubbed my eyes sleepily before pushing myself off the bed reluctantly. Aki’s barking ceased. He must have lost interest in whatever he was barking at, or maybe he ran off further than he should. I yawned again as I shook my head slowly, thinking of how naughty Aki could be.

But when I got to the stairs, I saw Aki sitting at the bottom of the stairs obediently. He looked up at me with those large brown eyes that instantly melted my heart. I never could stay angry at Aki. He seemed to smile as he saw me, and gave me a short bark as if to greet me good morning.

“Well, good morning to you too, Aki,” I laughed softly, “Care to join me for breakfast?”

He gave me two loud barks before dashing off into the kitchen. After pouring him a bowl of dog food and adding his favourite treat on top of it, I made myself some eggs and bacon.

It felt much better having someone to accompany me during breakfast, not to mention the morning jogs, daytime chores, late afternoon naptime, dinner, and TV night. My sleeps came easier now that I had Aki snuggled close to me. His soft fur and warm breath calmed me. I felt safe again whenever I held him close. I was glad that Jimin found him for me when he did.

Speaking of Jimin, it had been almost 2 years since we last met. Just then, Aki raced towards the front door. He barked at something outside. Then, I realized he must have seen the postman put something into the mailbox. I ran out to retrieve it. Sure enough, there was an envelope safely tucked inside. Aki jumped around at my feet, trying to get a bite of that white envelope in my hand.

“Down, boy,” I held the envelope out of his reach, “This isn’t something you can eat.”

After making sure that Aki understood that, I flopped down on the couch and opened it. It’d been such a long time since I gotten mail again. People hardly ever writes anymore, let alone sending letters through post. Somehow, I felt nervous as I flipped open the envelope. I noticed something red inside. Carefully, I took it out of the envelope without damaging it.

It wasn’t a letter, but an invitation instead. An invitation to a wedding. And it was from Jimin. My eyes grew wide. He disappeared for 2 years and now suddenly he was getting married, and in Daegu too, right here in Korea.

As if on cue, my doorbell rang. I raced towards the front door. A stranger, yet someone familiar, stood at the gate, waving in. I stood there and let the sight sink it, and my mind spun. It took me a moment before I realized that person standing right in front of my house was indeed Jimin.

Park Jimin.

“Jimin…” His name slipped off my tongue.

“Jimin?” I said a little louder.

“Hey, Yoongi,” he called back, “It’s me!”

I had to drag my two heavy legs towards the front gate. I still couldn’t believe my eyes. He was really there. He’d finally come back. I wasn’t imagining it. Looking at him from afar, I was reminded of the silhouette I watched the day he left. I was certain he was going to disappear again, fade away like he did that day.

But as I went nearer and nearer, he was still there. I blinked twice just to make sure. Yes, he was real this time. My heart leaped as our eyes met and he smiled warmly at me. Right at that moment, I realized just how much I’d missed him.

The first thing I did after welcoming him in was throwing myself at him. I locked my arms around his waist tightly and buried my face in his shoulder.

“I’ve missed you.”

I could feel his body tensed as he was startled by my action. But eventually, I felt his arms on my shoulders as he embraced me.

“I’ve missed you too, Yoongi,” he said into my ear.

After what seemed like a lifetime, I finally let go of him. He’s changed, but yet, he was still Jimin. He talked a little different, but still, he was the Jimin that I knew. He wasn’t like how he used to be, but yet, somehow, I felt like he was the same person when he left. I couldn’t explain it, but maybe that was what happens when someone left home for a long time.

“Actually, I drop by today to tell you something,” he told me suddenly, “Do you think maybe we could…find someplace and have a little chat?”

I tried to hide the surprise look on my face, “Umm, sure!”

 

~                              ~                              ~

 

After 2 years, Jimin had come back home for a wedding. His wedding. Of course, I felt happy for him. Yet, some part of me was jealous. I wasn’t ready to lose another friend. I kept telling myself I wouldn’t lose him. We’d stay friends forever. Knowing Jimin, I knew he’d make sure of that. But I just had the feeling that we’d never be the same again. He wouldn’t have the time for me like he had before ever again. Jimin promised me that our friendship would never change. But sometimes, not everything could stay the way they were forever.

Even so, I knew this day would come. I couldn’t expect Jimin to be there for me every single day of my life. There would come a day when we’d part our ways. But I just couldn’t shake the feeling of…emptiness, again. But I promised him I’d be there. I’d be there on his wedding day, wearing my best, flashing my smile, and most of all, feeling happy for him.

The day finally came. I put on my best suit and best tie. I made sure my black shoes shone. In the midst of preparing, I imagined that, if the worst hadn’t happened, he would be getting ready right now too.

Yes, I was thinking about Hoseok again, because, when did I ever stopped doing that. He had always loved joyful occasions. And I just know, he’s going to love this wedding. Jimin was his friend too, after all. And he loved meeting new people, talking about new topics and exchanging ideas and opinions. He was a sociable person while I rather stayed in the corner. He’d always urge to join him, meet people and speak more. But I had always felt uncomfortable doing that. I realized, I’ve never left that corner after all. Sometimes, I wondered if I should’ve taken his advice.

“Bark!”

“No, Aki,” I patted Aki’s head gently, “You can’t go to this one, buddy.”

He started whining at my feet. I bent down and pinched his puffy cheek.

“Sorry, buddy,” I told him, “I’ll make it up to you when I come back, I promise.”

A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter