three.

En Route | Yoonmin

The pair was quiet for awhile after Yoongi’s response. Jimin sat hunched over his paperwork, a pen placed between his lips as he shuffled and rearranged papers, circling numbers to add into the budget and crossing out numbers to ignore. It was tedious work, but Jimin didn’t mind it because of its simplicity. 

Yoongi sat with his earbuds blaring his latest mixtape so he could critique it. He had a habit of listening to his music so he could rip it apart to make the next one better, that was his process. Write, listen, fix everything, repeat. He was a perfectionist to the core and he felt like nothing he produced was ever good enough. A journal sat open on his lap and in his right hand he twirled a pen between his fingers.

He glanced over at Jimin like he had been doing during their silence. He liked the way Jimin looked with his fringe falling over his glasses as he leaned over different papers. He even noticed Jimin’s habit of adjusting his glasses by pushing them up at the part above the bridge of his nose.

“Is that what you do…like…all day?” he asked as he watched Jimin shuffle through the handful of papers he was holding.

“Pretty much,” Jimin replied, looking up at him with a tired smile. He took his glasses off and rubbed his eyes in defeat. Then he nodded towards the book on Yoongi’s lap.

“What about you, is that all you do all day?”

“Pretty much,” Yoongi said and mirrored Jimin’s smile. “It’s my lyric book. I keep it with me at all times in case I get a good idea or a good line randomly while I’m out. It’s helped me write some of my favorite songs actually.” He smiled thoughtfully as he remembered all of those sleepless nights where he put everything he had into a beat or a stanza or the finishing touches to a completed song.

“Have you ever let someone listen to it? Like professionally?” Jimin asked. Yoongi shook his head.

“Only my best friend, Hoseok. He says it’s really good, but I have a hard time believing him because he’s supposed to be supportive.”

“If it was bad though, don’t you think he’d still be supportive by telling you so you could improve?” 

“Maybe…I don’t know…” Yoongi looked back down at his lap where the journal laid open. The words he had written there stared back at him as if taunting him. His music was a sensitive topic for him because of how personal it was. He poured his heart out into his songs and part of him felt vulnerable to have others listen to it. What if people didn’t like his music and in turn didn’t like who he was? He’d be crushed.

Jimin could sense Yoongi’s unease and changed the subject.

“How about we go get something to eat. It’s lunchtime anyway,” Jimin suggested. Yoongi’s demeanor changed completely at the mention of food. He hadn’t eaten since breakfast and wasn’t looking forward to stuttering his way through ordering food. 

“That would be great,” Yoongi replied. 

The two stood up and took a moment to stretch from their cramped positions before making their way to the dining car. They found a more isolated area to sit in towards the back of the car. It didn’t take long for a waiter to approach them. Jimin ordered water for the both of them and then helped Yoongi translate some of the menu items until they decided on their meals. When the waiter returned with their drinks, Jimin gave him their order. The waiter took the menus with a small smile and left the two men to themselves.

Jimin brought his glass of water closer to him and drank from the straw as he thoughtfully looked at Yoongi. He was so curious about Yoongi because he had never met anyone like him. He dressed casually in skinny jeans and a black hoodie (Jimin had a feeling that he always dressed this way), didn’t work a nine to five job like the majority of the people he knew, and most of all, he didn’t speak much. Normally, Jimin wouldn’t have found his shyness weird, but considering that Jimin was literally the only person Yoongi could communicate with, he found it odd.

Yoongi reached for his drink and noticed Jimin watching him. 

“You know, you stare a lot,” Yoongi commented teasingly, expecting Jimin to blush. Instead, his brows furrowed as if he was trying to piece together a puzzle.

“You’re just so…different…from the people I’m used to.”

“Well, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but you and I don’t associate with the same types of people. You don’t exactly fit the criteria to know people like me.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” 

“It means that every morning you wake up early and you make your morning coffee with extra cream because something tells me that you don’t like bitter things. Then you take the train to work because it’s much more efficient than sitting in traffic for half an hour during morning rush hour. You do the same work every day until you get home, and even then you probably still have to do when you get home. I can tell by your work ethic that your boss is probably an who overworks you, so the only time you really get rest isn’t until late at night when you go to bed exhausted. And to top it all off, you probably wake up and go to sleep in a fancy condo that’s probably worth my yearly income and you wear suits that I know are worth my rent note as well as interact with people who are the exact same.” Yoongi finished his assessment with a smirk. Yoongi wasn’t genuinely upset with Jimin, but part of Jimin’s comment had stung. 

You’re different from the people I’m used to…

In a way, he spoke in order to make Jimin feel that same, stinging feeling, whether it was from embarrassment or offense.

“Am I right?” Yoongi egged him on for a reply. Jimin was quiet for a moment, and then matched Yoongi’s smirk.

“Almost…except for one, small detail.”

“What’s that?”

“I hate coffee.”

Yoongi’s smile widened.