seventeen.

En Route | Yoonmin

Jimin woke up the next morning with a pounding headache. Yoongi had been right about his low tolerance level for the champagne. He remembered only having four drinks which weren’t even enough to give him a buzz two years ago. Now, it floored him.

He blinked his eyes a few times to adjust to the sunlight coming in through the window while he oriented himself. Yoongi’s arms were wrapped around his waist and his face was nuzzled into the back of Jimin’s neck. Every time he exhaled, a small, warm breath of air hit Jimin’s skin and tickled him. He almost didn’t want to leave the spot, but the pounding was too prominent in his skull for him to be comfortable.

Gently so as to not wake Yoongi up, he untangled himself from his grasp and maneuvered off the bed to retrieve his suitcase which was seated behind the door of their room. He quickly rummaged through it to find his painkillers and took two out the bottle. The only liquid in the room was the bottle of champagne, so he tossed the pills in his mouth and made a face as he used the champagne to wash it down.

He tiredly climbed back into bed and snuggled into Yoongi’s chest in hopes that his warmth would make the headache go away faster. His eyes scanned Yoongi’s sleeping features and he was immediately drawn to the small pout Yoongi’s lips formed. His hair was tousled around his forehead and every so often his eyelids would flutter. Jimin reached up and ran his fingers through Yoongi’s hair as he began to hum to himself. He felt himself dozing back off when Yoongi spoke.

“You have a pretty voice,” Yoongi murmured, his voice raspy and quiet.

“Thank you.” Jimin smiled. Yoongi slowly opened his eyes and waited until they focused on Jimin’s face. His gaze was so steadfast on him, it put Jimin under a trance.

“Did you sleep well?” Yoongi asked.

“Yes.”

“Did you have any nightmares?”

“No, actually. I just…slept.” Jimin hadn’t even realized it until Yoongi had mentioned it, but he hadn’t dreamt about Jungkook last night. He didn’t really remember dreaming at all really, but that was saying something. Ever since his death, he’d had nightmares frequently about Jungkook, both about the breakup and his death. Last night though, he slept soundly through the night.

“That’s good,” Yoongi yawned. He sat up in a daze, his hair sticking straight up.

“You look like Naruto,” Jimin giggled, nodding his head towards Yoongi’s hair. Yoongi playfully swatted at Jimin’s arm and got out of bed. He went to his phone to check the time.

“It’s ten in the morning, we should be getting to Donghae soon now,” he commented as he set his phone down and tiredly rubbed his face. As if on cue, the intercom system pinged and static sounded before a woman’s voice sounded throughout their cabin.

Attention passengers, we will be arriving in Donghae within the next two hours. Please make sure to pack your things and prepare for your departure.”

“We should probably shower before we leave,” Jimin suggested as he too got up. Yoongi slyly grabbed Jimin by his waist and pulled him into his chest while he nuzzled his face into Jimin’s neck.

“Wanna take one together?” Yoongi murmured, leaving a few soft, but suggestive kisses on Jimin’s skin. Jimin shivered at the touch and clumsily moved Yoongi’s hands away as he tried to recover from his flustered state.

“N-no, we take separate showers,” Jimin stuttered as he moved away from Yoongi, who was proudly smiling at the effect he had on Jimin.

“Suit yourself,” Yoongi shrugged and grabbed a change of clothes from his bag. If he was being honest, he probably needed a shower more than Jimin did considering that he had been sweating more than him during their dance practice. Now that he thought back to it, he really just wanted to watch Jimin dance again. His movements were so fluid and comfortable, he looked like he was born to dance. Hoseok had never mentioned Jimin to him before which he found to be strange, but when he thought about it, Hoseok never really mentioned his work to Yoongi anyway. If it wasn’t asking for help to stay late at the studio, Hoseok never really shared anything about his work with him. Suddenly, Yoongi felt empty. How could he have been so selfish and worried about his own problems that he never bothered to ask Hoseok about his work? Or worse, Hoseok felt like he couldn’t share a part of his life with Yoongi.

“Yoongi?” Jimin asked carefully as he put his hand on Yoongi’s shoulder.

“What?”

“Are you okay?” Yoongi hadn’t noticed he’d paused with his clothes in his hand. He wondered how long he’d been standing like that before Jimin decided to shake him from his thoughts.

“I’m fine.” He shrugged off Jimin’s hand and went to the showers. Jimin stayed behind for a few more moments, wondering if he should push the topic or leave it alone. He noticed Yoongi’s bottle of antidepressants on the nightstand and chalked it up to him not taking them yet. Jimin remembered then that Yoongi couldn’t take his pills on an empty stomach and made a mental note to bring him some fruit from the breakfast bar in the restaurant after his shower.

Jimin found his way to the showers based on the signs posted along each hallway. There was a men’s side to the left and a woman’s side to the right. He veered to the left and when he walked through the entrance, he noticed that most of the stalls were unoccupied. One held another man and down at the far end of the stalls, he noticed Yoongi. The wall next to the entrance held wooden shelves and cubbies to place clothes. At the very top were piles of towels. Jimin placed his belongings on one of the shelves and grabbed a towel before heading to the shower closest to them.

He slung the towel over the railing of the shower curtain and turned the hot water on, standing under it for a moment to let the water soothe the tension in his shoulders. He hadn’t realized how stressed he’d been until he woke up this morning after a full night’s rest without nightmares. Work was bad enough, but now he was taking on this new journey of being with Yoongi and it was all new and strange to him. He wasn’t used to how nice Yoongi was or how physically affectionate he was. Part of him felt like they were moving way too fast but another part of him craved that kind of affection. The last thing he wanted to do was come off as desperate though, so he was conflicted. Overall, he just wanted to be happy and stop feeling guilty for being alive.

When he finished up with his shower, he headed straight to the restaurant for some food he could bring back to Yoongi. The fresh strawberries caught his eye and he filled a bowl up with them along with some pineapples and grapes. He also noticed the waffles at the farther end of the breakfast bar and thought it’d be a good idea to bring two of those as well.

Jimin returned to their room and found Yoongi sitting criss-cross in his bed with his journal on his lap.

“I brought you something to eat,” Jimin said with a cheerful smile as he entered. Yoongi glanced up at the food Jimin had brought and his eyes lit up when he saw the waffles.

“Ah, you shouldn’t have,” he said, grinning widely when Jimin handed him the plate. He set the bowl of fruit down on their nightstand and sat on the bed in front of Yoongi.

“You’re not gonna eat something?” Yoongi asked as he put a forkful of waffle into his mouth. Jimin shook his head.

“I’m not hungry.” That was a lie. Jimin was starving but he’d been trying this new diet to get into better shape that included fasting on certain days. Today was that day.

“We won’t get another chance to eat something for a couple of hours, you should at least try some fruit,” Yoongi suggested. Jimin just shrugged in response and began fiddling with his sleeves. Yoongi’s eyes narrowed. “Why won’t you eat?” he asked.

“Just not hungry.” Jimin smiled to try and make himself more believable, but Yoongi wasn’t dumb.

“Everyone’s hungry when they’re hungover, what’s the real reason, Jimin?” Yoongi had put his fork down now and was staring intently at Jimin to the point where the other was uncomfortable by his staring.

“It’s just a diet I’m trying. I’m not supposed to eat breakfast today,” Jimin replied quietly. Yoongi paused for a moment, reached for a strawberry, and held it in front of Jimin. He looked at Yoongi with a questioning expression.

“Eat it,” Yoongi said firmly. Jimin rolled his eyes.

“You can’t force me to eat, Yoongi, I’m a grown man.”

“You sure about that?” Yoongi had determination written all over his face and for a moment, Jimin was curious as to what Yoongi could possibly do to persuade him.

“Please eat baby, for me,” Yoongi said gently. Jimin’s heart melted upon hearing ‘baby’ and his resolve was gone. He reluctantly opened his mouth and Yoongi fed him the strawberry with a triumphant smile.

“You don’t need to diet, you’re fine. Here,” Yoongi pushed his plate over to Jimin, “eat some.” Jimin opened his mouth to protest, but Yoongi had already turned his attention back to his journal. Jimin could tell he was concentrating because of how still Yoongi had suddenly become. He nibbled at the waffles in front of him while he watched Yoongi work. He would write something down, mouth words to himself, tap his fingers on the page, and either move on or scratch out what he’d written down. He found Yoongi’s behavior to be intriguing because he’d never seen someone so enamored by a task in front of them. The closest he could think of was watching Hoseok dance. His face was focused and determined when he practiced and created moves. Only when he was interrupted did his face change from a stoic expression to the usual, bubbly smile he wore.

Yoongi wore a similar expression; his eyebrows were furrowed and his lips were in a thin, straight line. In a way, he looked like a frustrated child. Jimin waited patiently until Yoongi finally closed his journal with a sigh. When he looked up and noticed Jimin had been watching him, he blushed and apologized.

“I’m sorry, but I thought of these lyrics while I was in the shower and I wanted to write them down before I forgot them and then I started thinking about a beat and it took longer than I expected,” he explained quickly. Jimin just smiled.

“It’s okay. Here, you can have the rest. I’ll finish the fruit.” Jimin gave Yoongi the remaining waffle and got the bowl of fruit.

“Do you do that a lot?” Jimin asked.

“What?”

“Write.”

“It depends. Writing is a very fickle process. Sometimes I can write a song with a beat in a day and others take me months to finish because I feel uninspired. And I get inspiration from the strangest places and at the strangest moments sometimes.”

“Do you think you could show me how you make beats?” Jimin’s voice was shy. “If you don’t want to I totally understand, because some people can’t work when others are around them but,”

“I’d love to show you sometime Jimin,” Yoongi cut off Jimin’s rambling with a smile. “Although, I don’t have a studio. I just have a setup in my living room.” He had never used a studio before and at this point, it felt like a pipe dream to use one. Any kind of progress in his life felt like a pipe dream if he was being honest, even happiness. But now, as he looked at Jimin who was watching him with awe, he felt that it was extremely possible to be happy.