Eight

Heartwarming Photographs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

        It seems Chaeyoung had a busy day today. Her muscles felt worn out and until now, she was still perspiring as she strolled down the avenue. She thought of taking a nice, cold bath once she returns. She hoped that Dahyun had returned beforehand, wishing that she prepared dinner.

       Jeongyeon-unnie really let me do the majority of the work...how ridiculous! She'll always leave everything to me once that woman enters. Don't tell me she's head-over-heels for her?! I swear if she leaves all the work to me one more time I will—

      Before Chaeyoung could finish her infuriated complaints inside her mind, she heard a loud screech. She turned around to check which direction the screech was emitted. 

      She inspected certain corners and alleys, hoping to hear another sound that might help her.

      And so she did. But this time, the scream was louder and much clearer than before. Chaeyoung's instincts were apprising her that the screams were heading from the rear side of an alleyway by the left.

      Chaeyoung is positive when it comes to her instincts, so she hastened her pace the moment she set foot in the alleyway.

      She ran and ran until she finally arrived at the not-so-expected sight. A female was attempting to grapple a man from holding her hostage. Chaeyoung immediately approached the scene. When the opportunity came, she choked the man with a strong grip. The man felt as Chaeyoung's finger's tightened, causing him to release the female instantly.

      The man spun around to liberate himself from Chaeyoung, successfully doing so. The man raised his fist, "Why you little bi—"

      Before the man can strike Chaeyoung, a loud thud! was heard from behind. The female triumphantly smacked the man's occiput with a metal pipe, resulting him to fall and pass out as Chaeyoung flinched.

      The female was panting rapidly. Her vision was about to give in and her grip on the metal pipe was slowly loosening. Lightheadedness finally took over the female as she subsequently fainted next to the unconscious man.

      Chaeyoung shook her head to retrieve her senses when she realized the victim fainted. She approached the female with no hesitations to inspect whether there were any major injuries and persistently shook her in hopes to win her consciousness back. She panicked for a while until she picked up her phone to dial the authorities' number.

_____

        Chaeyoung watched from the ambulance as several policemen held the lunatic while forcing him inside the police automobile. She decided to call an ambulance as well to further scrutinize the body of the female. The sight of her attempting to free herself from the man's dense grasp, releasing all her might to do so convinced Chaeyoung that her body was surely affected. 

         Once they arrived, the female was brought to a room for a doctor to examine. For the meantime, a few authorities reached Chaeyoung for some inspection as she was the witness of the whole event.

          "I'm not sure what was happening. I was just walking down the avenue when I heard loud screams by the alleyway. I followed the screams and saw a man squeezing a woman while she was fighting her way out. I tried to stop him by choking him. Just as he was about to hit me, the woman managed to strike her with a pipe, if I can recall..." The police were taking notes as Chaeyoung narrated the scene, also making sure that she did not forget a single detail. "I was thinking that he was just drunk. I'm sure he wouldn't have done such a ludicrous thing if he wasn't. But if he did, I won't hesitate to call him insane," she added.

          "Drunk or not, you know criminals are wild this time of the night, miss. Tell the lady to stay at home or let someone she trusts accompany her. It would be better off that way." one of the policemen asserted.

          The night continued as policemen constantly interviewed Chaeyoung. The authorities should obtain answers from the victim herself but it's best not to, for now. A nurse informed them to not further traumatize the victim.

          Chaeyoung was left alone in the waiting area. She decided not to leave yet, she's anticipating the status of the female. She desired to hear her wellness.

          While waiting, her phone vibrated inside her pocket. Dahyun had been trying to reach Chaeyoung for the fourth time already.

          Chaeyoung answered the phone right when Dahyun scolded her, ("Yah! Chaeyoung! Where are you?! It's 9:37 PM for goodness sake. You haven't been answering me at all!")

          The former covered the phone while moving her arm distantly just so she can recover from the latter's deafening voice. She soon answered, "Stop yelling, unnie! Geez. I was just caught up in something. I'll be going home soon. Just make sure dinner's ready once I get home."

         ("Dinner is cold, Chaeyoung. Reheat them if you want since I already ate.")

         "Okay, okay. Thanks for cooking anyways. I'll go now, bye."

         The two hung up after bidding goodbye. She waited for a few minutes until a nurse approached her, "Son Chaeyoung, right? The patient wants to see you."

        Chaeyoung stood up and entered the room. She noticed that the room only contained the female and herself. The nurses left beforehand to give them privacy. The female was sitting on the hospital bed, with her hands clutching the mattress and her head lowered. Chaeyoung gulped while the female did not notice Chaeyoung, She must have been really traumatized. I feel b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter