Twenty-Two

Heartwarming Photographs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The sweet scents colliding surrounding the interior shouts in appeal as the bell hanging on the frame of the door rings to the entrance of another appreciated customer.

Tzuyu stands up, encircling her way out the counter to attend to the customer's needs. Not surprised, she bows to the Japanese regular with a delightful smile that means "It's great to see you again."

Mina returns the bow. Like Dahyun, she tends to visit the flower shop every other day and initiate polite conversations with the female florist. Over the passing days, Tzuyu grew comfortable with the Japanese regular; she'd answer the latter's questions with sincerity and gentleness - similar to how she speaks with Dahyun.

Mina, on the other hand, considered Tzuyu's gentleness. Occasionally, she'd pass by for the florist and not for the arrangements she always purchased in the past. She didn't know how amazing it is to spare 30 minutes of her time in exchange for an unwinding conversation.

Tzuyu was notified about the tutoring, however (thanks to Dahyun's thrill, the message was delivered in the most careless way). She was inquired regarding her course, stock knowledge, and ideal discussions. Mina was asked to disregard the former's college degree (as an Animal Science Major, the younger found it difficult for the older to teach such information, especially when the Japanese female is an aspiring Ballet Major), concluding with Mina offering Tzuyu the basic subjects.

"I wasn't expecting you to visit early today, unnie," Tzuyu initiated. She gestured Mina to sit in front of the counter right beside her seat.

Mina slowly took off her coat, folding the sleeves as she responds, "I only have four classes to take every Thursday." She adds, "Despite the shortage of my practice, I always end up sleep deprived."

"You must be tired."

"It's fine. I'll pass by a cafe later on," Mina pursued.

"I should have asked Dahyun-unnie to buy some coffee packets on the way back last night..." Tzuyu sighed. She had always been grateful that her friends tend to bother to allot their time dropping off, but Tzuyu already built a mindset that visiting the flower shop is nothing but a second option for them in spite of the fact that the latter does insist on dropping off nonetheless.

Mina smiles wholeheartedly; a reassuring gesture could be of help to insist that she's fine, and hopefully, Tzuyu could get the signal. "You're too kind, Tzuyu-yah. I understand now why Dahyun-ssi is too concerned for you."

"I prioritize my friends just as I prioritize these flowers." The florist silently referred to the folded coat on Mina's lap for Tzuyu to politely put it aside for Mina to sit without any disturbances. In the process, she continues, "Dahyun-unnie always looked out for me, even when she met Jeongyeon-unnie and Chaeyoung-unnie first. However, in the end, the three always made sure to take care of me even when I'm all grown up."

Tzuyu chuckles when memories of the three friends taking turns to bring souvenirs everytime they visit return. "It's ridiculous, really. I'm 20 years old yet here they are, taking me in like a child they brought up."

The touching narration made the ballerina smile once again. Just the tone of Tzuyu's voice softened her heart - truly pure, similar to their friendship. Oh, how innocent do these two females look right now.

Sunrays shone through the wide glass of the flower shop, emphasizing the vibrant greens displayed inside the establishment.

"I'm assured that you're not bothered to cease their antics anytime soon," Mina enlightens. It's obvious; the look on Tzuyu's face right now says a lot - that whatever those three are up to, they're truly nothing but pure intentions and for the youngest's sake.

The florist shakes her head, enjoying the conversation too much. "I wouldn't dare. I feel loved, and I'm thankful for that."

The quiet heave of a sigh plays the role of a response, in which Tzuyu comprehensively picked up as the conclusion of their fond topic. Mina's a little shy, Tzuyu understood, but the comfortable atmosphere screams that the two should just take this momentary appointment lightly.

Thankfully, the two complies, enjoying the rest of the day with carefree talks about flower lifespans and foregoing stories with the three friends in topic.

_____

Similar to how branches snap when winds overblow, the last innocent brain cell pops when the thought of a Japanese dancer came into Dahyun's mind. The winds blew quite strong today, and the latter is sure that she wasn't having any of it.

Stuck in the garden, Dahyun kept her stance solemn and quite untouchable; cross-legged on the grassy ground partnered with folded arms and a slight arch of her back, her eyes grew stern overtime. She stayed like that for a while, not minding the continuous flow of air that blew her hair in the process, partially covering her face that caused imperceptible irritation.

"God...can't believe she's back..." she groaned for the umpteenth time now.

"Who's back?"

Dahyun perks her head to Sana who just sat beside her. The photographer's body kept stationary ― like a doll whose only feature is for its head to swing around, Sana permits a stifled laugh due to the former's obliviousness.

"What's so funny?" Dahyun questions.

"You―" her uncontrolled giggles caused her to falter, and her body begins to stumble backward much to Dahyun's dismay. "You look so ridiculous!"

"What's ridiculous? I look serious here."

"That! Exactly―" Sana gives up when her body surrenders to the ground, leaving Dahyun to sit in uncertainty and disgust. "―that!"

Dahyun shakes her head, finally releasing her arms for her palms to touch the ground. "So weird."

Meanwhile, Dahyun's day was spent a little too seriously. Ever since the sight of Hirai Momo appearing before her upon the stage, Dahyun promised to engulf herself in tranquility and acceptance ― acceptance towards the return of Momo, a woman who she came to sow a deep sense of hatred of for the past years she had been absent.

"So," Sana adjusts her position for easy communication. Recovered from the sudden wheeze session, she lands her head on Dahyun's lap, facing Dahyun's never-changing solid gaze. "What's the matter? Care to explain why you look serious?"

"It's nothing," Dahyun lies, but Sana pierced right through it frantically.

"What a lie..." Sana trailed off. She no longer finds hilarity in Dahyun's face as it silently says there is something wrong that Sana doesn't know of. "That face of yours says a lot, so don't bother lying."

"But what if there really isn't?"

"But what if there really is?" Sana retorts.

"You always answer like that." Dahyun didn't want to keep her thoughts up for topic any longer, so she aimlessly ruffled Sana's hair below to stand up as a distraction. "Answer me first," Dahyun adds.

A hand makes its way to Dahyun's cheek, pinching it swiftly for Dahyun's hand to refrain ruffling Sana's hair. The photographer winced at the action, but Sana continued pinching because baby cheeks! Who wouldn't love those?

"Ah! Stop!" Dahyun pleaded playfully, but stubborn Sana wouldn't give in. "It hurts, you big doof!"

"God, you are so adorable," Sana quips as she releases the milky skin from her fingers. Dahyun's innocent face always struck the Japanese, but today's menu is ideally different.

The sun continued shining this afternoon, perfectly highlighting Dahyun's sharp features that Sana had come to grow attentive of. Her dark hair ever so glowing despite the contrast, and the familiar eyes glistened the more Sana stared at them. Dahyun is so pretty, Sana is mesmerized, and the sun just can't stop making the photographer look more gorgeous each passing second.

Who knew the Kim Dahyun and the sun can make a great team?

"Are you even listening?"

The tender voice snaps Sana from a continuous haze. She didn't realize that Dahyun had been speaking all along, repeatedly asking her to get up because her limbs are getting numb the more Sana presses her head on Dahyun's lap. "I don't want to," Sana argues.

"Ugh..."

It's clear to Dahyun that Sana won't be getting up anytime soon, so while Sana lazily slumped on her lap with her eyes closed, Dahyun reached out for the camera packed inside the bag beside her. While Sana pretends to sleep, Dahyun opens her camera to aim at the sleeping beauty's face from an understandable angle.

A loud click! fluttered Sana's eyes open, and there she sees a giddy Dahyun lowering her camera right beside Sana's cheek. "What did you just do?" Sana asks, still watching the smirking Dahyun as she viewed the photos with utter joy.

Regardless, Dahyun didn't answer the question. A warm smile erupting from her lips was the only thing that answered the Japanese ― this doltish kid!

"Hey!" Sana quickly sits up to snatch the camera away from Dahyun's hands, but Dahyun quickly shifts her right hand to raise the device from the other's grip. "You dare take pictures of me!"

"Me? Take pictures of you? Why would I?" Dahyun defends, feigning a gasp when Sana outstretched her arm to reach for Dahyun's camera.

"How rude!" Sana continues to compete against Dahyun's persistent extension, until the latter's arm can no longer stretch, resulting to her body falling on the grass while Sana's body automatically falls along. Luckily, Sana manages to catch herself with both her arms parked beside Dahyun's head.

"Delete those," Sana challenged as she initiated a glaring contest with Dahyun, whose camera was lightly tossed to the side to avoid arm ache. "You always do that without my consent. You're so unfair and awfully rude."

Meanwhile, Dahyun is struggling to adjust her body because hypocrite Sana won't budge an inch. If there's anyone who plays unfair, it has to be Sana; trapping the photographer under such an intimidating gaze has got to be one of the most intimate things that Dahyun has ever experienced.

"And what if I don't?" Dahyun argues back.

Sana chuckles first before playfully retorting, "I'm going to break your camera!"

"You!" Dahyun exclaims with a chiming tone. Without a second to spare, the photographer envelops the Japanese's neck with her arms then pushed herself upwards until the both of them falls again, this time, with Sana's back that falls on the ground.

They both laughed and laughed, enjoying every second of the minute of the hour. Dahyun can't even deny how delightful it is to spend time with Sana; the way she takes Dahyun's words like a balloon to pop and the way she's becoming too comfortable with the younger ― it's fun. It's really fun. And nice. And sweet. And just...generally tender.

And wow, Sana has never met anyone this tender before. Dahyun is genuine, innocent, and possibly just a huge sack of marshmallow sticks.

Sana rarely believed in miracles with the predicament she was pulled into, but maybe Kim Dahyun is an exception.

_____

Speaking of tender, coffee shops were created specifically for tender days.

Jeongyeon is a smiley kid inside a body of a pretty adult (as most customers say) and even Jeongyeon can't deny that. She loves to greet customers like a child earning a reward; some sort of candy that she really loves. It's a huge factor, business managers confirm, that warm welcomes convince a customer to visit more frequently.

However, Jeongyeon is nothing but a happy-go-lucky café barista; that explains why she feels curling as she opens the door to a recognizable customer she was willing to initiate a conversation with the moment she stepped inside the establishment.

"Hey, Mo," Jeongyeon greets, albeit too enlightened to be acknowledged with Momo's presence. "Good to see you here."

"I just wanted to see how my Jeongie is doing." Momo reaches out to initiate a hug, capturing Jeongyeon's body in a tight embrace.

Later on, Jeongyeon leads Momo to a vacant table. On the way, Momo says, "I didn't know you have nice progress in the daytime. God, how long has it been? I feel so foreign."

Jeongyeon pulls a chair for Momo so sit on, in which Momo gladly complies. "Too polite, Jeong. Too polite."

"It's a genuine habit." Observing that nobody seems to be needing Jeongyeon's assistance anytime soon, Jeongyeon sits on the opposite side of the table across Momo. "You played the same back then, too. Dad would be so happy to see you."

"Did you tell him I returned?"

"Not yet. I'm planning some sort of surprise, you know? You're his favorite, can't you believe that? I'm his daughter and I'm not his favorite," Jeongyeon complains, earning a low chuckle from the Japanese dancer. "Ridiculous," she adds.

"Because I used to attract the bad boys back then," Momo jokes, but even Jeongyeon knows her statement wasn't far from the truth. "Judging from previous statistics, male customers increased through the course of my employment here." The dancer's finger snaps under the table, signifying the impendin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter